Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > College and High School Basketball Forum

College and High School Basketball Forum College basketball message board, high school basketball message board

Old 03-11-2007, 09:07 PM   #16
monthh
Local High School Star

monthh has an OK reputation so far
Default Re: Someone explain Marquette getting an 8th seed.

Maybe I am just late on jumping on the mid-major bandwagon, but to me playing in the ACC against Maryland, UNC, Virginia, FSU, Georgia Tech, Virgina Tech, and those teams means more than beating Air Force, BYU, and Texas Tech. The only major teams they played were Arizona and Texas Tech. That team is good, but they are not much better than a .500 team in one of the top conferences.

As for suprises, I thought Virginia was ranked a little high. I might have switched them and Louisville, but that is just me.
monthh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2007, 09:09 PM   #17
i seen hippos
NBA Superstar

i seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteri seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteri seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteri seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteri seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteri seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteri seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteri seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteri seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteri seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteri seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

I thought UNLV would be a 5 seed. They are better than Duke.
i seen hippos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2007, 09:19 PM   #18
tpcslj47
Kids at the park dunk on me

tpcslj47 has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by monthh
Maybe I am just late on jumping on the mid-major bandwagon, but to me playing in the ACC against Maryland, UNC, Virginia, FSU, Georgia Tech, Virgina Tech, and those teams means more than beating Air Force, BYU, and Texas Tech. The only major teams they played were Arizona and Texas Tech. That team is good, but they are not much better than a .500 team in one of the top conferences.

As for suprises, I thought Virginia was ranked a little high. I might have switched them and Louisville, but that is just me.

And that would explain why only 6 of the 34 at larges were given to mid majors? And why it has declined each of the last 4 years? Clearly you know what you are talking about. If you think Duke deserves a better seed you sir are a fool, plain and simple. Oh yeah, and the MWC is NOT a mid-major. thinking otherwise just proves you know not what you speak of.

Then I'm watching this ESPNU bracketology on ESPN2 and they get to UNLV who they say "squeaked in" to the tournament.....then they analyze the game UNLV vs Ga Tech and of course they can only talk about Ga Tech the entire time because no one watches the Mountain West games (see monthh) and therefore don't know what to say about UNLV. Even when they stop showing the Ga Tech highlights and start showing the UNLV highlights during the matchup breakdown, they still talk about Ga Tech. It's really sad, because the MWC was damn strong this year and had teams better than a lot of nationally recognized teams that no one knows about and counts out simply because they are given no publicity.

But really it just makes us play better, like the ********* at the pick up games who talks **** to you when he doesnt even know you, just makes you bring it that much harder.

Last edited by tpcslj47 : 03-11-2007 at 09:28 PM.
tpcslj47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2007, 12:54 AM   #19
TheGame414
Decent college freshman

TheGame414 has decent reputationTheGame414 has decent reputation

The MWC can absolutely be defined as a mid-major. The "major" or "power" conferences are the BCS football conferences. The ones with self-sustaining programs.

Is it a mid-major conference in which some very good basketball is played? Absolutely, but a mid-major nonetheless.
TheGame414 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2007, 01:33 AM   #20
tpcslj47

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGame414
The MWC can absolutely be defined as a mid-major. The "major" or "power" conferences are the BCS football conferences. The ones with self-sustaining programs.

Is it a mid-major conference in which some very good basketball is played? Absolutely, but a mid-major nonetheless.

You can call it what you what or define it in any way that pleases you. But this is not a debate, it is a fact that by analysts it is not included in the list of mid-majors. Hence, there were 6, not 7, mid-major at-larges given out. If the MWC were included, it would be 7 for BYU, but it is not 7. Go ahead research it yourself. You are wrong. A common mistake so no big deal but we ARE NOT a mid major.

Last edited by tpcslj47 : 03-12-2007 at 01:47 AM.
Old 03-12-2007, 01:44 AM   #21
statman32
NBA Legend

statman32 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterstatman32 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterstatman32 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterstatman32 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterstatman32 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterstatman32 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterstatman32 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterstatman32 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterstatman32 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterstatman32 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpcslj47
You can call it what you what or define it in any way that pleases you. But this is not a debate, it is a fact that by analysts it is not included in the list of mid-majors. Hence, there were 6, not 7, mid-major at-larges given out. If the MWC were included, it would be 7 for BYU, but it is not 7. Go ahead research it yourself. You are wrong. A common mistake so no big deal but we ARE NOT a mid major.

What is the MWC then??? I cant consider them a power conference

IMO they are in between...some analysts consider them to be a major conference and some consider them to be mid major.Its all opinion.

Anyways...who is your team??? and do you really believe that UNLV should have got a higher seed than Arizona??
statman32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2007, 01:50 AM   #22
tpcslj47

Quote:
Originally Posted by statman32
What is the MWC then??? I cant consider them a power conference

IMO they are in between...some analysts consider them to be a major conference and some consider them to be mid major.Its all opinion.

Anyways...who is your team??? and do you really believe that UNLV should have got a higher seed than Arizona??

Yeah, we're in a weird in between area. It sucks. And for that reason we get no publicity. None for being a strong mid-major, none for being a major, we're just left out and i don't know why.

Yes UNLV should have been a 4 or 5, and virtually all the bracketologists agreed. Check this out, and notice that NONE of them predicted worse than a 6 seed, 90% 4 or 5.

http://bracketproject.atspace.com/comparison.htm

My team? Western Illinois BOYEEEEEE!!!

Also, here's an article that will give you some good insight. Yeah it's from a few years ago but still very relevant.

http://espn.go.com/ncb/columns/graney_ed/1504873.html

excerpt:

One thing is for sure: It is not a conference [The MWC] that bemoans its absence from Bracket Buster Saturday, which promotes itself as "18 mid-major teams, some trying to impress the NCAA Tournament Selection Committee and others looking for more national exposure."

Pairings for the first annual event (Feb. 22) were released this week and the participating teams hail from several conferences, including the WAC, West Coast and Mid-American. It does not include the Mountain West.

BYU and Utah were approached initially about participating in the Bracket Buster, but quickly declined. A message came from the top.

"My own personal opinion is we don't need it, don't want it and am not interested," said Mountain West Commissioner Craig Thompson. "It's not to say this isn't very good for the conferences involved. There are some very good teams in it and I'll watch a lot of the games myself.

"But we have been able to schedule teams like Gonzaga and Creighton and Hawaii on our own. We can get those games on our own television package on our own merit. Why would we want to be involved with this? I'm looking at USA Today on the Bracket Buster and reading words like 'lesser leagues' and 'ambitious.' That is just not for us.

"We rank ahead of the Pac-10 in power ratings. Do you think they were called to participate in Bracket Buster?"

Last edited by tpcslj47 : 03-12-2007 at 02:01 AM.
Old 03-12-2007, 02:00 AM   #23
statman32
NBA Legend

statman32 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterstatman32 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterstatman32 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterstatman32 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterstatman32 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterstatman32 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterstatman32 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterstatman32 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterstatman32 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterstatman32 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpcslj47
Yeah, we're in a weird in between area. It sucks. And for that reason we get no publicity. None for being a strong mid-major, none for being a major, we're just left out and i don't know why.

Yes UNLV should have been a 4 or 5, and virtually all the bracketologists agreed. Check this out, and notice that NONE of them predicted worse than a 6 seed, 90% 4 or 5.

http://bracketproject.atspace.com/comparison.htm

My team? Western Illinois BOYEEEEEE!!!

Western Illinois...no comment

Anyways thats interesting that all those "bracketologists" chose them to be such a high seed. I guess the commitee didnt agree with them.

They won at Nevada(RPI 23), at Texas Tech(RPI 53), vs Air Force(RPI 29) and 2 wins against BYU(one at home and one neutral)(RPI 19)

That and winning its conference tournament looks like a 5 or 6 seed tourney profile.

But still I think Arizona has a better profile than UNLV.

I think the committee did a horrible job this year and there is too many screw ups to name.
statman32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2007, 02:37 AM   #24
TheGame414
Decent college freshman

TheGame414 has decent reputationTheGame414 has decent reputation

My sister goes to Western Illinois. My GOD, what a boring place.
TheGame414 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2007, 08:21 AM   #25
Skywalker
LFC|JAYS|RAPS|VIKES

Skywalker is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSkywalker is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSkywalker is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSkywalker is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSkywalker is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSkywalker is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSkywalker is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSkywalker is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSkywalker is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSkywalker is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSkywalker is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

so Southern Illinois has "So Ill" on the ticker during the games, does Western Illinois have "We Ill"? :
Skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2007, 08:50 AM   #26
Jackass18
The Iron Price

Jackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Why does Louisville deserve a 4?

Virginia vs. RPI top 50: 7-4; 11 wins in the #1 conference; 7 wins vs. tourney teams
Loserville vs. RPI top 50: 3-7; 12 wins in the #5/#6 conference, 2 wins vs. tourney teams, and maybe the committee saw how they should have lost to WV

Though, UVA has some unattractive things on their resume: 3-9 road/neutral record, 6-4 last 10, and plenty of bad losses - double digit loss to App. State, 24-point loss to Utah, 27-point loss to VT, loss to Miami, loss to Wake Forest, and a loss to NC State. I guess the committee gave them a lot of love for being ACC Co-champs.

I would have switched UVA with VT, and WSU with Texas.
Jackass18 is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: