Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 03-12-2007, 08:28 AM   #1
Real Men Wear Green
Don't panic.

Real Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Luol Deng: Most Underrated Player in the League?

I don't think he's ever won an award for anything. I've never seen him on anyone's "Top _____" lists. Never referred to as a future star. And yet here he is, a month shy of his 22nd birthday, averaging 19 points and 7 rebounds per game while being one of the best defensive swingmen in the game. Thanks to him, I can't remember the last time Paul Pierce had a good game against the Bulls (in fact, I'd trade Pierce for him, straight-up). 6'9 with a 7'-plus wingspan, no one shoots over him with ease. He's like Tayshaun Prince with muscle. A very intelligent, disciplined player, he is shooting 52% from the field and has only attempted 4 threes for the entire season. How many perimeter players show that level of restraint? And at the age of 21? Ben Gordon gets the most credit of all the Baby Bulls with Hinrich not far behind, but if I could choose any player off of that team it'd be Deng without a second thought. Players like Deng make the ROY race meaningless because they could be rookies right now if they wanted to and would then win the award easily. As much as we Celtic fans love to boost up Gerald Green, or Warrior fans like Monta Ellis, JR Smith, etc., none of us have any kind of assurance that they'll ever be better than Deng, who is only behind Anthony and James among the best young swingmen in the game. Yet he gets little praise. Why?
Real Men Wear Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2007, 08:42 AM   #2
Shep
Decent college freshman

Shep is considered somewhat coolShep is considered somewhat coolShep is considered somewhat cool
Default Re: Luol Deng: Most Underrated Player in the League?

Quote:
I don't think he's ever won an award for anything
neither should he have, except whitest teeth in history
Quote:
I've never seen him on anyone's "Top _____" lists
neither should he, maybe top 10 people with the whitest teeth in the nba
Quote:
and has only attempted 4 threes for the entire season. How many perimeter players show that level of restraint?
..or maybe he just can't shoot?..because his teeth are too bright
Quote:
Players like Deng make the ROY race meaningless because they could be rookies right now if they wanted to and would then win the award easily
what?
Quote:
who is only behind Anthony and James among the best young swingmen in the game
:
Quote:
Yet he gets little praise. Why?
teeth too white
Shep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2007, 08:46 AM   #3
Real Men Wear Green
Don't panic.

Real Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

<--Can't wait for a reply from someone that isn't an idiot with poor dental hygiene.
Real Men Wear Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2007, 08:50 AM   #4
Shep
Decent college freshman

Shep is considered somewhat coolShep is considered somewhat coolShep is considered somewhat cool

: oh i bet you're jacking off in anticipation
Shep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2007, 08:50 AM   #5
different107
National High School Star

different107 has decent reputation

I dont know about most underated, although I do agree he is to an extent. He is a solid contributor, and in my opinion more consistent then Ben Gordon, but Ben Gordon is flashier and gets more publicity, but thats just my opinion.
different107 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2007, 08:55 AM   #6
Orealius
Great young streetballer

Orealius has an OK reputation so far

He gets no praise because his game has no flash. You wont see his highlights on SC. He just isnt really talked about/noticed because he puts up numbers quietly with no flash. You dont hear his name mentioned because the things he does and plays he makes aren't memorable. He is a hard working, intelligent player who knows what he can and cant do and he does what he can do very very well. He doesnt shoot 3's because he doesnt have the range. His offence is based on mid range jumpers and slashing to the rim.
Orealius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2007, 09:00 AM   #7
different107
National High School Star

different107 has decent reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orealius
He gets no praise because his game has no flash. You wont see his highlights on SC. He just isnt really talked about/noticed because he puts up numbers quietly with no flash. You dont hear his name mentioned because the things he does and plays he makes aren't memorable. He is a hard working, intelligent player who knows what he can and cant do and he does what he can do very very well. He doesnt shoot 3's because he doesnt have the range. His offence is based on mid range jumpers and slashing to the rim.

this is what I was trying to say.: Except this is 10x better.
different107 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2007, 09:11 AM   #8
loot
H.U.M.A.N. World

loot has an incredible reputation hereloot has an incredible reputation hereloot has an incredible reputation hereloot has an incredible reputation hereloot has an incredible reputation hereloot has an incredible reputation hereloot has an incredible reputation hereloot has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shep
neither should he have, except whitest teeth in history

neither should he, maybe top 10 people with the whitest teeth in the nba

..or maybe he just can't shoot?..because his teeth are too bright

what?

:

teeth too white

If Deng would smoke 3 packs of Marlboro a day his teeth would be brighter than our good friend Shep.

Anyway, Deng is a very efficient player. I think he might be more efficient than Melo.
loot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2007, 09:11 AM   #9
Skywalker
LFC|JAYS|RAPS|VIKES

Skywalker is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSkywalker is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSkywalker is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSkywalker is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSkywalker is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSkywalker is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSkywalker is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSkywalker is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSkywalker is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSkywalker is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSkywalker is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
none of us have any kind of assurance that they'll ever be better than Deng, who is only behind Anthony and James among the best young swingmen in the game.

I believe this is incorrect. Can't think of anyone right now to prove it though, but I will go looking.
Skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2007, 09:19 AM   #10
Skywalker
LFC|JAYS|RAPS|VIKES

Skywalker is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSkywalker is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSkywalker is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSkywalker is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSkywalker is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSkywalker is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSkywalker is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSkywalker is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSkywalker is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSkywalker is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSkywalker is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

ok here we go:

LeBron James
Carmelo Anthony
Andre Iguodala
Danny Granger
Luol Deng
Gerald Green
Tayshaun Prince
Josh Smith
Gerald Wallace
Kevin Martin
Rudy Gay

those are all the best young swingmen

you would take only LBJ and Melo over Deng? it's close for me, but I think there's a couple more I'd rather have over Deng

Last edited by Skywalker : 03-12-2007 at 09:48 AM.
Old 03-12-2007, 09:22 AM   #11
Orealius
Great young streetballer

Orealius has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skywalker
ok here we go:

LeBron James
Carmelo Anthony
Andre Iguodala
Danny Granger
Luol Deng
Gerald Green
Tayshaun Prince
Josh Smith
Gerald Wallace
Kevin Martin
Josh Howard
Rudy Gay

those are all the best young swingmen

you would take only LBJ and Melo over Deng? it's close for me, but I think there's a couple more I'd rather have over Deng

I'd take Bron, Melo and JHo over Deng. Iggy, GWall, KMart, Tay, Caron and Deng are all pretty close.
Orealius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2007, 09:34 AM   #12
JohnnyBravo5
Local High School Star

JohnnyBravo5 has an OK reputation so far

I'd take Josh Smith over Deng as well. He's a better defender, rebounder and will eventually be as good a shooter. The only thing he will never be as good as Deng is handling the ball.
JohnnyBravo5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2007, 09:36 AM   #13
Skywalker
LFC|JAYS|RAPS|VIKES

Quote:
I'd take Bron, Melo and JHo over Deng. Iggy, GWall, KMart, Tay, Caron and Deng are all pretty close.

Carons like 27
Old 03-12-2007, 09:36 AM   #14
kwajo
Missing Since 2009

kwajo has an incredible reputation herekwajo has an incredible reputation herekwajo has an incredible reputation herekwajo has an incredible reputation herekwajo has an incredible reputation herekwajo has an incredible reputation herekwajo has an incredible reputation here

Quote:

so basically what you're saying is that there are 2 top 10 young swingmen that the Raptors could have playing for them right now?
kwajo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2007, 09:40 AM   #15
Brunch@Five
College superstar

Brunch@Five has a terrific reputationBrunch@Five has a terrific reputationBrunch@Five has a terrific reputationBrunch@Five has a terrific reputationBrunch@Five has a terrific reputation

Does Josh still qualify as young swingman? He's only a year younger than Kobe I think. 27

I agree that Melo and Bron are the only ones that are clearly better than Deng.
Brunch@Five is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: