Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Utah Jazz Forum

Utah Jazz Forum Utah Jazz forum - Utah Jazz message board

Old 06-29-2006, 02:35 PM   #1
Pre777
I airball my layups

Default Rate the Jazz Draft

Man was anybody else just groaning when they saw the look on Ronnie Brewer's face when his name was called? Why does SLC produce such fear in black basketball players?

If I hadn't seen his face I would have thought that a guy like Brewer who is big and plays tough d would have been a great fit for the Jazz.

I like Dee Brown as a possible follow up to Mo Williams. Millsap will probably not make the team or will split Whaley/Humphries minutes with Araujo.

I rate this draft a B-, mainly because the Jazz were obviously not expecting Brewer's reaction. They should have brought him in for a tryout!!

Last edited by Pre777 : 06-29-2006 at 06:01 PM.
Pre777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2006, 03:12 PM   #2
Heretik32
Myrrh

I really, really like the Jazz's draft. But you got a valid point with Brewer's expression there. Hope he's a professional and gets over it and does not pull a Francis.
Heretik32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2006, 03:58 PM   #3
Pre777
I airball my layups

While Francis got himself what he wanted, Brewer doesn't have the cred to misbehave!

He better straighten up by the press conference this afternoon.
Pre777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2006, 05:23 PM   #4
cyco127
Local High School Star

Crap, I didn't even see his reaction... I was too busy being shocked that the Front Office actually took the best player on the board...

I'm pretty sure the funk will evaporate when he gets to know the guys this summer... Let's hope he does atleast....
cyco127 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2006, 07:53 PM   #5
Bricklayer
Decent playground baller

I dunno guys... I'm not so excited about this pick. Last year, we passed up on Chris Paul. I was one of about 5 people at the Delta Center who seemed to think Paul was a better pick than Williams that day. Williams could still make tons of improvements and become a great player, but so will Paul. I fear we may have done the same thing with Carney still being available this year. Watch him blossom into the next Jason Richardson or something. I really hope Brewer proves me wrong this year tho. Who's game would you compare brewer to anyway? I can't think of a similar nba player... josh howard or mickael pietrus maybe?
Bricklayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2006, 12:50 AM   #6
lowblok
High School Varsity 6th Man

His dad was a pro so i'm hoping he'll have a word with him and straighten him out a bit. Brewer can handle the ball wich will free Williams up and we'll see how good a shooter he is. (Williams that is)

Last edited by lowblok : 06-30-2006 at 01:08 AM.
lowblok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2006, 01:03 AM   #7
ADWCTA
Can barely lace up my sneakers

Ugh, I was hoping Brewer and Carney don't drop cuz I knew Utah would take one of them (after Reddick).

But alas. I can't say that I prefer Carney as an alternative, but Brewer's not exactly great either.

::shrug:: we picked a role player from a field of remaining role players.

Brewer's nto likely to make a huge impact on utah... maybe a backup to Giri?
ADWCTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2006, 01:16 AM   #8
lowblok

Come on man cheer up. Giricek uninjured has outside game. Just the fact that Brewer is 6'6/6'7 gives us a long defender at the SG spot not to mention another athletic finisher to go with AK47. Just imagine Williams running down the middle of the floor with Brewer and AK on either wing, Boozer next to him and Okur trailing for the three!! All is not lost....
Old 06-30-2006, 09:17 PM   #9
Bricklayer
Decent playground baller

I've been thinking... Brewer may not turn out so bad after all. If all he does is shut down the opponent's two guard for a few plays (he's obviously not gonna stop a kobe or wade the entire game) that may be enough to make the difference in the game. The Jazz lost some frustratingly close games (anyone remember that "foul" call kobe got at the end of regulation sending them into overtime for an eventual laker victory?) but if we had a decent perimeter defender, that game would've been ours. Along with a few others. Which would've put us into the playoffs 2 of the last 3 years. If Brewer DOES manage to take away their top scorer's output, the rest of the jazz might have enough offense to beat them. Granted, these would be low-scoring games, but hey, it worked for the Pistons and Spurs.
Bricklayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2006, 09:06 AM   #10
benjitamir

i thought it was ag reat draft for the jazz, our sg position looks pretty strong, mislap is a lucky steal from the 2nd round and brown looks like a good backup in the later years, all i slooking good for the season....lets just hope no injuries!:rollingeyes:
benjitamir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2006, 02:52 PM   #11
The Real GM

Exclamation

Overall, it was slightly above average. I like Brewer and Milsap, but I disagree with Dee Brown. They have enought pg's and Williams doesn't need a young guy as a back up. If they would have drafted Gansey with the other 2nd round selection it would've been an A+ draft. The Jazz needed shooting and Gansey was one of the top 3 shooters in college last year. He is tough and fundamentally sound, and a great defender like Sloan likes. He also could've been a Hornacek type player. He's considered undersized, but a good shooter and defender. He is more athletic than Horny, and would've been ready to contribute this year. The other guy they could've drafted was Kevin Pittnogle. He's a big man, who shoots better than anyone I've ever seen at 6'11. He can stretch the floor and replace Okur when he comes out. Both of these guys would have fit in great with the Jazz halfcourt offensive scheme. Brown does not, because he's turnover prone and a shoot first pg. The Jazz drafted above average, but complained about shooting. By drafting one of these two players they could have got great shooters for virtually no money. I guess not one NBA G.M. saw college basketball this year, yet alone the best conferenc in college basketball. They also decided to pass on two of the top 15-20 player's in the nation. Teams will kick themselves if anyone ever gives these two a chance, which they should get, hopefully. I know the draft was almost a month ago, but I just found this article and wanted people to know how I feel.
The Real GM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2006, 03:07 PM   #12
cyco127
Local High School Star

Gansey was signed by Miami...

I think they drafted Dee to give Deron someone to hang with...
cyco127 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2006, 01:17 AM   #13
lowblok

Plus Brown is there for his speed, someone to come in and pick the tempo up when it starts to lag.

You can't take Pittsnogle when you already got three guys 6'11. The Jazz need someone in the middle who can alter shots!
Old 07-27-2006, 12:40 AM   #14
cantdunk

Still, if the Jazz would have picked up Gansey and Milsap in the second round they would have addressed all but one issue in a single draft. Still need a significant shot blocker.

They should have picked up Gansey
cantdunk is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: