Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 03-12-2007, 01:32 PM   #1
Rab
Jared Dudley's #1 Fan

Rab is popular on this boardRab is popular on this boardRab is popular on this boardRab is popular on this board
Default Elton Brand - Most Disappointing Player this season?

I really thought that we had finally seen Elton Brand go from second tier PF, to elite status last season with the Clipps. Not that his numbers this season are bad by any means, but it seems as though he's regressed a bit. His rebounding is down a little, but still about on par of what it usually is, but he's scoring between 4-5 points less per game. Last season when I watched Clippers games, he looked unstoppable. When I've watched him this season, I don't get that same feeling.

Is he being used differently this season? Is the a big part of why they are struggling? Is he not having the same kind of impact that he usually has? I haven't seen him enough this season, so maybe I'm wrong. Please correct me if I am.
Rab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2007, 01:37 PM   #2
Skywalker
LFC|JAYS|RAPS|VIKES

Skywalker is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSkywalker is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSkywalker is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSkywalker is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSkywalker is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSkywalker is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSkywalker is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSkywalker is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSkywalker is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSkywalker is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSkywalker is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Re: Elton Brand - Most Disappointing Player this season?

I haven't seen him much either but when I have seen him he still looked like one of the top reboudners in the league, and still just an all around animal. I think Kaman becoming like a stiff allows the other fronctocurts to focus on hi mmore and they're slowin him down.
Skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2007, 01:37 PM   #3
saKf
Roy = my new fave.

saKf is a pretty well-respected postersaKf is a pretty well-respected postersaKf is a pretty well-respected postersaKf is a pretty well-respected poster

I haven't seen much Clipper ball this season, but it's hard to call Brand more disappointing than Andrei Kirilenko.
saKf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2007, 01:40 PM   #4
loot
H.U.M.A.N. World

loot has an incredible reputation hereloot has an incredible reputation hereloot has an incredible reputation hereloot has an incredible reputation hereloot has an incredible reputation hereloot has an incredible reputation hereloot has an incredible reputation hereloot has an incredible reputation here

No, this player is:

Brand needs a pg who can shoot. Livingston couldn't shoot, and defenses collapsed on Brand.

Now with Jason Hart in the line up and assel out, he again needs to adjust his game. I'm dissapointed with the Clippers, with Cassel's injuries and Livingstons progress before the injury more than Brand's numbers.

Brand will still give everything but he can't do it alone. Maggette is trying to help, Mobley is trying but is old. Tim Thomas is nice. Once in every 6 games.

Kaman sucks this season, again resulting in Brand having to carry too much of the load.

Don't believe the hype, Brand is still much better than Randolph or Boozer. He's better than Gasol too.
loot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2007, 01:44 PM   #5
dejordan
Mars Blackmon Lives!

dejordan has an OK reputation so far

i'm sticking with morrison as most disappointing player this season. that kid has s-u-c-k, suck, suck, sucked.
dejordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2007, 01:45 PM   #6
Rab
Jared Dudley's #1 Fan

Rab is popular on this boardRab is popular on this boardRab is popular on this boardRab is popular on this board

Quote:
Originally Posted by loot
No, this player is:

Brand needs a pg who can shoot. Livingston couldn't shoot, and defenses collapsed on Brand.

Now with Jason Hart in the line up and assel out, he again needs to adjust his game. I'm dissapointed with the Clippers, with Cassel's injuries and Livingstons progress before the injury more than Brand's numbers.

Brand will still give everything but he can't do it alone. Maggette is trying to help, Mobley is trying but is old. Tim Thomas is nice. Once in every 6 games.

Kaman sucks this season, again resulting in Brand having to carry too much of the load.

Don't believe the hype, Brand is still much better than Randolph or Boozer. He's better than Gasol too.
Maybe I'm just expecting more out him because of last year. I'm not saying he sucks or anything, but I just don't get that same feeling when I watch him this year, but again, I probably haven't watched him enough to judge him. I know he kind of got off to a slow start this season as well, so maybe his stats are a little misleading.

I do think he's better than Gasol, Randolph, and Boozer though.
Old 03-12-2007, 01:46 PM   #7
saKf
Roy = my new fave.

saKf is a pretty well-respected postersaKf is a pretty well-respected postersaKf is a pretty well-respected postersaKf is a pretty well-respected poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by dejordan
i'm sticking with morrison as most disappointing player this season. that kid has s-u-c-k, suck, suck, sucked.
Keep in mind that expectations for Morrison were developed from watching him play in college.

Expectations for Kirilenko were developed from what he's already done in the NBA.

In that sense, Kirilenko is the bigger disappointment, and by a considerable margin.
Old 03-12-2007, 01:47 PM   #8
Rab
Jared Dudley's #1 Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by saKf
I haven't seen much Clipper ball this season, but it's hard to call Brand more disappointing than Andrei Kirilenko.
I can see the AK47 argument, but I guess I just don't put those 2 players on the same level.
Old 03-12-2007, 01:48 PM   #9
Rab
Jared Dudley's #1 Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by dejordan
I don't think you can really put Morrison in that category. He's not an established NBA player as of yet.
Old 03-12-2007, 01:49 PM   #10
saKf
Roy = my new fave.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rab
I can see the AK47 argument, but I guess I just don't put those 2 players on the same level.
You don't have to. That doesn't really have anything to do with who's more disappointing.

One needs to look at the player's performance this year in comparison to expectations and previous performance.

If you ask me, Kirilenko is further below the standard he's set for himself than Brand is.

If Brand were getting another rebound, he'd be 20/10 and I doubt that people would be very disappointed, considering the injury troubles his team's had and Kaman's dead performance.

Kirilenko is far, far away from his best play right now. Additionally, he's complaining about lack of offensive involvement and pissing off management.
Old 03-12-2007, 01:55 PM   #11
number23
Decent playground baller

number23 has an OK reputation so far

Id say Brand, AK, and I thought Melo would be a MVP candidate before the season started. Guess not.
number23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2007, 01:56 PM   #12
Nashformvp
High School Varsity 6th Man

Nashformvp has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rab
I don't think you can really put Morrison in that category. He's not an established NBA player as of yet.
I totally agree he is a rookie and will be a big star once he can establish himself in this league. But Elton Brand has dropped his game completely. Last year he drove his team strong into the playoffs and was a mvp contender. This year he is not even close to the top 20 mvp contenders and his team is about to lose the number 8 seed in the west. But you can't completely blame him he is getting no help from Cassel, Mobely, and Kaman. Their whole team has thrown itself away.
Nashformvp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2007, 01:57 PM   #13
SomeBunghole
Banned

SomeBunghole has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by saKf
You don't have to. That doesn't really have anything to do with who's more disappointing.

One needs to look at the player's performance this year in comparison to expectations and previous performance.

If you ask me, Kirilenko is further below the standard he's set for himself than Brand is.

If Brand were getting another rebound, he'd be 20/10 and I doubt that people would be very disappointed, considering the injury troubles his team's had and Kaman's dead performance.

Kirilenko is far, far away from his best play right now. Additionally, he's complaining about lack of offensive involvement and pissing off management.

The difference is that AK's team is winning and then some. The Jazz are on pace to win 15 games more than the last season, and looking at their recent play might make a realistic push at 60 wins. The Clippers might be in that 8th playoff spot at the moment, but they're 4 games under .500 and playing much worse than last year.

Also, Brand's role within the team hasn't changed. On the other hand, Kirilenko was the number one option most of last year, and right now, he's, what, 6th? Okur, Boozer, D-Will, Harpring, Fisher, and right now even Giricek will have play run for them before Kirilenko. I'd be complaining too.
SomeBunghole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2007, 02:01 PM   #14
A Roc 23
Back Better Then Ever

A Roc 23 has decent reputationA Roc 23 has decent reputation

Ak-47 is the 6th option now because he has sucked on offense for about 60 games now. If he was capable of scoring at any consistent rate, he'd be at least the 4th option. If GG is ahead of you on the play list, you know you suck.

Rab, I have a somewhat related question for you; "Would you trade Marion for Elton Brand?".

Last year I would've said "hell yes" but this season I'm not so sure.
A Roc 23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2007, 02:01 PM   #15
Nashformvp
High School Varsity 6th Man

Nashformvp has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by number23
Id say Brand, AK, and I thought Melo would be a MVP candidate before the season started. Guess not.
Melo is the leagues leading scorer and had a great team, but when AI joined his team he had to adjust his game to fit AI in. Once him and AI start playing well together he will get back up there in the mvp rankings.
Nashformvp is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: