Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 03-12-2007, 02:02 PM   #16
saKf
Roy = my new fave.

saKf is a pretty well-respected postersaKf is a pretty well-respected postersaKf is a pretty well-respected postersaKf is a pretty well-respected poster
Default Re: Elton Brand - Most Disappointing Player this season?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeBunghole
The difference is that AK's team is winning and then some. The Jazz are on pace to win 15 games more than the last season, and looking at their recent play might make a realistic push at 60 wins. The Clippers might be in that 8th playoff spot at the moment, but they're 4 games under .500 and playing much worse than last year.

Also, Brand's role within the team hasn't changed. On the other hand, Kirilenko was the number one option most of last year, and right now, he's, what, 6th? Okur, Boozer, D-Will, Harpring, Fisher, and right now even Giricek will have play run for them before Kirilenko. I'd be complaining too.
Okur got more shots per game than Kirilenko last year.

I agree that Kirilenko's role has been reduced and that Brand's hasn't, but Kirilenko isn't even functioning as the awesome fill-in player that he has in the past.

Brand's team has certainly disappointed, but for reasons that don't have much to do with Brand. Kaman's dropped off. Cassell's been hurt. Livingston seemingly hadn't gotten any better before he got hurt. They brought in Tim Thomas for a significant role. Mobley's getting pretty old. They still have Maggette, who's been shopped for a long time and isn't very happy there.

As much as I missed it before the season, the Clipper's were ripe for a disappointment. Way too many things that had a good chance of going wrong.
saKf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2007, 02:04 PM   #17
dejordan
Mars Blackmon Lives!

dejordan has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by saKf
Keep in mind that expectations for Morrison were developed from watching him play in college.

Expectations for Kirilenko were developed from what he's already done in the NBA.

In that sense, Kirilenko is the bigger disappointment, and by a considerable margin.
okay, okay, but can't I, personally, be highly disappointed in the stache, and not especially care about ak47, despite the fact that the russian swat machine had the higher level to maintain?
dejordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2007, 02:05 PM   #18
ihatetimthomas
NBA Superstar

ihatetimthomas is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableihatetimthomas is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableihatetimthomas is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableihatetimthomas is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableihatetimthomas is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableihatetimthomas is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableihatetimthomas is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableihatetimthomas is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableihatetimthomas is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableihatetimthomas is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableihatetimthomas is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

I would say brand is one of the most dissappointing players this season. He had a stellar season last yr and it looked like he was taking his game to another level. He has regressed. He doent look to score as much and his boards are down. I would say boozer is better than him this season. Hes done a great job and his team is winning. I cant say randolph or gasol are better because their teams are crap. I do like gasol though...hes a solid big an who can pass and play a little D. Cant say that much for randolph
ihatetimthomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2007, 02:10 PM   #19
loot
H.U.M.A.N. World

loot has an incredible reputation hereloot has an incredible reputation hereloot has an incredible reputation hereloot has an incredible reputation hereloot has an incredible reputation hereloot has an incredible reputation hereloot has an incredible reputation hereloot has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihatetimthomas
I would say boozer is better than him this season. Hes done a great job and his team is winning.

Please. Put Boozer with the Clippers and they'd be a .350, put Brand on the Jazz and they'd be at the top of the Western Conference. Don't let numbers fool you.
loot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2007, 02:14 PM   #20
SomeBunghole
Banned

SomeBunghole has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Roc 23
Ak-47 is the 6th option now because he has sucked on offense for about 60 games now. If he was capable of scoring at any consistent rate, he'd be at least the 4th option. If GG is ahead of you on the play list, you know you suck.

AK never was, and probably never will be, a jump-shooter or an outside threat. The issue isn't so much the amount of shots he gets, but the involvement in the offense. When the Jazz had guys like Milt Palacio, Keith McLeod, Greg Ostertag, and Jarron Collins in the starting lineup, AK looked like Gilbert Arenas compared to them. The first two guys could neither create for themselves nor their teammates, and I'm convinced that Ostertag holds the NBA all-time record for missed layups and dunks.

André would simply get the ball more back then. Jarron Collins or Ostertag used to go 10 consecutive offensive possessions without every touching the ball. Now, the quartet above has been replaced by Okur, Boozer, Fisher, and D-Will. Two of those are All-Stars, one will be next year, and the fourth guy has 3 rings. Now AK is the guy who doesn't get the ball. And as I said, it's not just shots. With the firepower Jazz have this year, and the passing ability André showed last year, I thought he'd get 6 assists a game this year. But he's just being bypassed on offense nowadays. D-Will will dribble it up, and then the patented Jerry Sloan simplicity-on-offense plan kicks in, and you know that only 3-4 things could happen.

Boozer sets a pick, rolls to the basket, gets easy layup with his left hand. D-Will crosses his man over and drains a jumpshot. GG or Harpring run across the lane, and shoot a mid-range jumper off a screen. Okur spins out towards a three and the stiff that's on him cannot guard his outside shot. That's about it. That's the range of options, and for the most part, they stick to them. For the most part, they also work unbelivably well, so there's no reason to deviate. AK gets the short end of the stick here.
SomeBunghole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2007, 02:18 PM   #21
Darkess
High School Varsity 12th Man

Darkess has not been impressing people

Quote:
Originally Posted by loot
Please. Put Boozer with the Clippers and they'd be a .350, put Brand on the Jazz and they'd be at the top of the Western Conference. Don't let numbers fool you.

Don't let last season's performance fool you. Brand isn't what he seemed to be. Kirilenko isn't either, he needs a piece of the ball of function to the fullest.

I certainly wouldn't place Brand over Boozer. I might even take Gasol over Brand.
Darkess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2007, 02:20 PM   #22
saKf
Roy = my new fave.

saKf is a pretty well-respected postersaKf is a pretty well-respected postersaKf is a pretty well-respected postersaKf is a pretty well-respected poster

Ced made a "Gasol or Brand?" thread a few months ago, and I believe most people thought he was crazy for making it (he was on Gasol's Gaside). Heck, I might have been one of them. Don't remember.
Old 03-12-2007, 02:20 PM   #23
loot
H.U.M.A.N. World

loot has an incredible reputation hereloot has an incredible reputation hereloot has an incredible reputation hereloot has an incredible reputation hereloot has an incredible reputation hereloot has an incredible reputation hereloot has an incredible reputation hereloot has an incredible reputation here

Even so, AK should have more opportunities to focus on defensse and passing. Which he was great at in earlier years. Now, he just sucks in those areas too. It's probably a sulking/confidencething and he'd be better of with someother team next year. This yar, both Gwallace and JSmith, who were called baby-AK's last year and before, are now giant AK's.
Old 03-12-2007, 02:21 PM   #24
loot
H.U.M.A.N. World

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkess
Don't let last season's performance fool you. Brand isn't what he seemed to be. Kirilenko isn't either, he needs a piece of the ball of function to the fullest.

I certainly wouldn't place Brand over Boozer. I might even take Gasol over Brand.

Brand is a great great defender. Boozer? Mwoahhhh... Brand's been at 20/10/2 level for years with good ast numbers, good %'s, great moves on offence, great defender, good teamplayer, high energy, thrustworthy.

Boozer? He's having his first good season but still isn't on Brand's level when it comes to defense.
Old 03-12-2007, 02:22 PM   #25
saKf
Roy = my new fave.

The Gasol/Brand thread. Turns out it wasn't posted by Ced. He was just the main voice in it.
Old 03-12-2007, 02:22 PM   #26
Darkess

Quote:
Originally Posted by loot
Even so, AK should have more opportunities to focus on defensse and passing. Which he was great at in earlier years. Now, he just sucks in those areas too. It's probably a sulking/confidencething and he'd be better of with someother team next year. This yar, both Gwallace and JSmith, who were called baby-AK's last year and before, are now giant AK's.

I agree. Kirilenko would do much better on another team, and that's the only reason he has trade value right now.
Old 03-12-2007, 02:25 PM   #27
johndough
Great young streetballer

johndough has decent reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkess

Astonishing.

Brand is easily better than Boozer.
johndough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2007, 02:26 PM   #28
R.I.P.
NBA lottery pick

R.I.P. is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterR.I.P. is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterR.I.P. is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterR.I.P. is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterR.I.P. is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterR.I.P. is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterR.I.P. is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterR.I.P. is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterR.I.P. is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rab
I really thought that we had finally seen Elton Brand go from second tier PF, to elite status last season with the Clipps. Not that his numbers this season are bad by any means, but it seems as though he's regressed a bit. His rebounding is down a little, but still about on par of what it usually is, but he's scoring between 4-5 points less per game. Last season when I watched Clippers games, he looked unstoppable. When I've watched him this season, I don't get that same feeling.

Is he being used differently this season? Is the a big part of why they are struggling? Is he not having the same kind of impact that he usually has? I haven't seen him enough this season, so maybe I'm wrong. Please correct me if I am.

Another victim of the "He´s better than Nowitzki"-curse. Some people said the same thing about Kirilenko, Diaw and Gasol.
R.I.P. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2007, 02:33 PM   #29
Rameek
Krust Kingz

Rameek is popular on this boardRameek is popular on this boardRameek is popular on this boardRameek is popular on this board

How can everyone say that the players around Brand has not done there part this year but yet still blame Brand for not being the same player he was last year? MINDBOGGLING!
Rameek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2007, 02:36 PM   #30
Darkess

Quote:
Originally Posted by johndough
Astonishing.

Brand is easily better than Boozer.

I really don't see why. His team is doing worse and he individually is doing worse.

Boozer:
Year Team G GS MPG FG% 3p% FT% OFF DEF RPG APG SPG BPG TO PF PPG
06-07 UTA 54 54 34.8 .565 .000 .693 3.2 8.5 11.6 2.9 0.9 0.3 2.50 2.90 20.9

Brand:
Year Team G GS MPG FG% 3p% FT% OFF DEF RPG APG SPG BPG TO PF PPG
06-07 LAC 60 60 38.0 .531 .000 .756 3.5 5.8 9.3 2.5 1.0 2.2 2.43 2.90 20.2

Boozer is scoring more, rebounding more, shooting better, and all in less minutes. The edge Brand has is on defense. Utah is 43-19 (improving dramatically over last season) while the Clippers are 29-33 (with Brand decreasing in productivity from last season).
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: