Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 03-13-2007, 02:03 AM   #16
L.Kizzle
ISH's Negro Historian

L.Kizzle has an incredible reputation hereL.Kizzle has an incredible reputation hereL.Kizzle has an incredible reputation hereL.Kizzle has an incredible reputation hereL.Kizzle has an incredible reputation hereL.Kizzle has an incredible reputation hereL.Kizzle has an incredible reputation here
Default Re: Rockets: Most capable underdog in first round?

Quote:
Originally Posted by brantonli
But Deron Williams and Derek Fisher might totally abuse Alston.

He won't get abused, just a beatin. I believe the Rockets can take out the Jazz in 6 games.

GM1@Utah = Houston
GM2@Utah = Utah
GM3@Houston = Houston
GM4@Houston = Houston
GM5@Utah = Utah
GM6@Houston = Houston

I know this prediction is early, but I'm so hyped about Houston in the playoffs. Mac will finaly leave the first round.
L.Kizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 02:08 AM   #17
A Roc 23
Back Better Then Ever

A Roc 23 has decent reputationA Roc 23 has decent reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkess
I think I'd like to see a Houston vs. Utah matchup in the playoffs if I'm Houston. Heck, maybe even if I'm Utah.

I think it's a 7-game series for sure.

It's all but guaranteed. The Rockets have the 5th seed clinched and I think the Spurs have made a mission of getting the 3rd seed. I think it'll definately be the most competitive series in the first round of the West playoffs.
A Roc 23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 02:18 AM   #18
90sDynasty
Decent playground baller

90sDynasty has an OK reputation so far

Everyone is picking the Rockets over the Jazz, so I consider the Jazz the underdog in that series.

The Jazz' main problem will be defending Tracy McGrady. With Andrei Kirilenko having a down year of sorts, he has to show some of his defense prowess from his past and hope that he can at least contain McGrady. If the Jazz can contain McGrady to under 30 PPG they have a legit shot in the series.

The Rockets' problems will be defending the point guard and center positions of the Jazz. Okur is a very capable 7 footer from behind the arc and Yao will be forced to be drawn out to guard him. Williams will be a tough match up for Rafer Alston due to his penetrating ability and his off the dribble jumper.

They both play a tempo that suits each other well, a slow it down type game. It may boil down to the home court advantage. Either way, expect a 7 game series.
90sDynasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 02:23 AM   #19
90sDynasty
Decent playground baller

These teams also play their regular season finale against each other at Utah. So this might go on for 8 games.
Old 03-13-2007, 02:29 AM   #20
Prodigy
Diaw Fan

Prodigy has decent reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90sDynasty
These teams also play their regular season finale against each other at Utah. So this might go on for 8 games.

The season finale will be a battle of the pine riders.
Prodigy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 02:30 AM   #21
JSub
Decent college freshman

JSub has decent reputationJSub has decent reputation

Quote:
Everyone is picking the Rockets over the Jazz, so I consider the Jazz the underdog in that series.

The Jazz' main problem will be defending Tracy McGrady. With Andrei Kirilenko having a down year of sorts, he has to show some of his defense prowess from his past and hope that he can at least contain McGrady. If the Jazz can contain McGrady to under 30 PPG they have a legit shot in the series.

The Rockets' problems will be defending the point guard and center positions of the Jazz. Okur is a very capable 7 footer from behind the arc and Yao will be forced to be drawn out to guard him. Williams will be a tough match up for Rafer Alston due to his penetrating ability and his off the dribble jumper.

They both play a tempo that suits each other well, a slow it down type game. It may boil down to the home court advantage. Either way, expect a 7 game series.

Rockets will have a problem defending the center position? I think the Jazz will have a MUCH bigger problem defensively at that position.
JSub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 02:31 AM   #22
TMac&Luther
Karl Malone's bastard

TMac&Luther is considered somewhat coolTMac&Luther is considered somewhat coolTMac&Luther is considered somewhat cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prodigy
The season finale will be a battle of the pine riders.

Yep, no way in hell these two teams are going to show their full hand right before the first playoff game
TMac&Luther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 02:32 AM   #23
90sDynasty
Decent playground baller

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSub
Rockets will have a problem defending the center position? I think the Jazz will have a MUCH bigger problem defensively at that position.

The Jazz' have had a great interior defense all year, they help out in the paint and will sacrifice perimeter defense. I think drawing Yao out of the paint will be crucial in the Jazz' offensive success.
Old 03-13-2007, 02:36 AM   #24
20 Dimes A Game
HeartHustleHope

20 Dimes A Game has an OK reputation so far

I think Houstons could do some damage but if they come up against the Suns, it's over in 5 games.
20 Dimes A Game is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 02:38 AM   #25
JSub
Decent college freshman

JSub has decent reputationJSub has decent reputation

Quote:
The Jazz' have had a great interior defense all year, they help out in the paint and will sacrifice perimeter defense. I think drawing Yao out of the paint will be crucial in the Jazz' offensive success.

No doubt that'll be a big part of their game plan, but frankly, nobody is going to stop Yao Ming from scoring 30 points in the half-court set. Okur is going to give him fits, but he's not going to bust every single jumper he takes. As long as the Rockets crash the boards, I'll live with that. In addition, the Jazz cannot swarm Yao everytime hes in the paint either. Cant sleep on TMac on the perimeter.
JSub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 02:55 AM   #26
jerky10
Decent playground baller

jerky10 has not been impressing people

all underdog teams in the west are all capable of beating the jazz. but i don't think they'll be capable of beating the spurs, or suns, or mavs IMO.
except maybe for the lakers, if they'll face the suns again in the playoffs. even with amare back, the lakers still have what it takes to beat the suns.
jerky10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 10:33 AM   #27
Timmy D for MVP
Chuck Hayes Stan

Timmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:

Yeah but what they might do is slot Battier out to guard Okur, kinda like when Bowen played Nowistki last year (it didn't work, too much size was lost). That would give the Rockets control of the game becuase the boards would be in favor of them. With Yao, and Chuck Hayes both in the post it'd be tough to lose in rebounds.
Timmy D for MVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 10:38 AM   #28
IBall280
Decent playground baller

IBall280 has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by R.I.P.
Maybe if Yao showed T-Mac how to hit a free throw. Guards in general are ****tier than ever at free throw shooting.
excuse me u take forwards and take centers and compare them to guards free throw shooting and guards are alot better @ it. anyways yeah the rockets could do it... and free throw shooting should not be a factor for them.
IBall280 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 10:43 AM   #29
Timmy D for MVP
Chuck Hayes Stan

Timmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by IBall280
excuse me u take forwards and take centers and compare them to guards free throw shooting and guards are alot better @ it. anyways yeah the rockets could do it... and free throw shooting should not be a factor for them.

Yao shoots 86% from the line on the season T-Mac shoots 70%
Timmy D for MVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 10:59 AM   #30
CakeorDeath
Local High School Star

CakeorDeath has decent reputation

Ugh. No one giving any respect to a very good Jazz squad. No surprise, though. Small market team without a superstar and zero national publicity.

Quote:
Why would we be afraid of the Jazz? Dont get me wrong, they're a very good team, but I'd take them over playing a first rounder against the Mavs, Spurs and Suns any day. On top of that, they dont have a true superstar on that squad. We have TWO.

Jazz don't need or want a true superstar. Your TWO have rarely played together for two years. And you have some pretty sizable problems at other positions.

Quote:
I think it'll definately be the most competitive series in the first round of the West playoffs.

It might wind up being the most hard-fought, competitive series of the entire postseason.

Quote:
Rockets will have a problem defending the center position? I think the Jazz will have a MUCH bigger problem defensively at that position

Yao has must show a willingness to consistently guard Okur all the way out to the three point line or he will get torched.

Quote:
Rockets will have a problem defending the center position? I think the Jazz will have a MUCH bigger problem defensively at that position

Jazz will try to make him take quick shots. No backing down his man once he has the ball. The minute he puts the ball on the floor, expect the Jazz to swarm all over him. At that point it will be up to guys like Mac, Battier, Alston, and Head to make shots.

Quote:
Okur is going to give him fits, but he's not going to bust every single jumper he takes

He's capable of it. Recent performances include a 13-15 effort and a 10-13 effort, including going 5-7 from downtown last game.

Quote:
all underdog teams in the west are all capable of beating the jazz

Really? Why do you say that? Jazz own the season series against all of them except the Rockets (tied 1-1) and Lakers (1-2, though the second L.A. win was without Deron Williams). Denver and the Clips are both 0-3 against the Jazz. Hornet's only win against them was in Oklahoma City without Carlos Boozer or Kirilenko. Thanks for drastically underrating them.

Jazz are a hurdle that will be overcome only by a team playing about as well as it can play, and that holds true even for the Mavs, Suns, and Spurs (who are a combined 2-6 against them, btw)
CakeorDeath is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: