Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 03-13-2007, 10:59 AM   #31
ClutchCityReturns
Decent college freshman

ClutchCityReturns has decent reputationClutchCityReturns has decent reputation
Default Re: Rockets: Most capable underdog in first round?

If/when the Rockets meet the Jazz in the first round, would it be the first time in NBA history that a team played their first regular season game, last regular season game, and first playoff game against the same team?

Useless trivia, but interesting.
ClutchCityReturns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 12:14 PM   #32
miles berg
MFFL

miles berg is considered somewhat coolmiles berg is considered somewhat cool

It is hard for me to call the Rockets underdogs.

They are as good as any team in the league when they are at all cylinders.
miles berg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 01:13 PM   #33
Darkess
High School Varsity 12th Man

Darkess has not been impressing people

Quote:
Originally Posted by miles berg
It is hard for me to call the Rockets underdogs.

They are as good as any team in the league when they are at all cylinders.

That's the real key. Nobody wants to put them into their slot because of what they're capable of. However, the Rockets rarely play as they're capable of. NBA fans need to learn that you can't expect that to change 100% when playoff time comes along.
Darkess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 01:20 PM   #34
DRUMGEE
I brick open layups

DRUMGEE has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by brantonli
But Deron Williams and Derek Fisher might totally abuse Alston.

Count on it. Utah's points are 50 times better than Houstons.
Deron will average 20-10-2-2

Okur can nuetralize Yao. Both can have at least one 30 point game. Both might have only a ten point game. Neither of them can defend the other. Both are average rebounders.
Look to Utah to be very physical with Yao when Okur sits down. I'm not positive but i am pretty sure Yao will play more. He will take some hard fouls from Collins and Aruajo just to test his heart and will. I am pretty sure he will pass that test but it might wear him out for late game guarding of Okur, Mr. clutch.

Boozer can punish Houston.
T-mac can punish Utah.

Utah's bench will DESTROY Houston's bench. Count on it.
Harpring, Girecek, Millsap will all have multiple big games. They are too smart and disciplined.

Kirelinko will not play worse than he is now, he is very capable of playing much better.

Sloan and Van Gundy is a draw. Although Sloan is way more experienced with playoff basketball.

Utah has Homecourt,barring some strange happening, it's a tough place to play. Utah's fans are going to explode, they haven't seen playoff ball in a few years now, after 20 straight appearances.

I am betting on Kirelinko and T-mac to miss at least one game due to injury.

That said i am picking Utah in 6, wouldn't be surprised to see 7, wouldn't be surprised to see Houston take it. T-mac and Yao will have to play inspired ball the whole series though and I don't see it happening.

It is going to be some seriously good fun either way. :
DRUMGEE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 01:41 PM   #35
Gregsguys
Good High School Starter

Gregsguys has an OK reputation so far

I wouldn't necessarily say Houston are the most capable underdogs in the first round. That could go to the Bulls, or perhaps even the defending champs if Wade is back....
Gregsguys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 03:31 PM   #36
NASH = BEST
On Campus Baby ; )

NASH = BEST has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakerz_Forever
It seems out of all the seeds, the rockets seem to be the one everyone is scared of. T Mac is back to normal. Yao is a beast. Rafer gives them steady PG play. discuss.

I saw the Rockets up close and in person yesterday and I would have to say that they are the
"Most Capable Wanna Be"...

I hope I am heard loud and clear....

NO 4-7 SEED IN THE WEST IS A CAPABLE UNDERDOG!!!

This season's first round playoffs are going to be very lopsided, the Top 3 teams are just way above the rest of the competition!!
NASH = BEST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 03:55 PM   #37
DRUMGEE
I brick open layups

the Top 3 teams are just way above the rest of the competition

Utah (4th seed) is 6-2 against those teams.
Old 03-13-2007, 04:00 PM   #38
NASH = BEST
On Campus Baby ; )

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRUMGEE
the Top 3 teams are just way above the rest of the competition

Utah (4th seed) is 6-2 against those teams.

The playoffs are a completely different animal, one that this Utah Jazz team knows nothing of!!!!
Old 03-13-2007, 04:13 PM   #39
DRUMGEE
I brick open layups

The playoffs are a completely different animal, one that this Utah Jazz team knows nothing of.

This team trusts in their coach and his gameplan. they play every game how he wants them to play. Jerry sloan went to the playoffs for 20 straight years, including 4 conference finals and two nba finals. His system is designed for playoff basketball.
Fisher, Okur, Harpring, Kirelinko, Collins have all been to the playoffs. I seem to remember some pretty big games from Fish in the playoffs.
Also last time I checked there were 4 championship rings on fingers in the lockerroom.
They may not have done anything as a group yet, but to say they know nothing of the playoffs is just wrong.
Old 03-13-2007, 04:17 PM   #40
NASH = BEST
On Campus Baby ; )

^^^ Bringing up D-Fish'es dinosaur accomplishments is not the way to argue a good point. See you in the Funny Pages dude!!
Old 03-13-2007, 04:22 PM   #41
DRUMGEE
I brick open layups

Quote:
Originally Posted by NASH = BEST
^^^ Bringing up D-Fish'es dinosaur accomplishments is not the way to argue a good point. See you in the Funny Pages dude!!

You only responded to my weakest point.
Nash and companies record against Dallas, San Antonio, and Utah, now thats funny.
Old 03-13-2007, 04:23 PM   #42
Mewwem22
Go Jazz!

Mewwem22 is a pretty well-respected posterMewwem22 is a pretty well-respected posterMewwem22 is a pretty well-respected poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by NASH = BEST

What are you talking about? He made a great point. You're the one that's not really proving your point. All of the jazz "regular" players have been to the playoffs except millsap, deron, and boozer. The other players on the jazz are benchwarmers. And jerry sloan knows the playoffs like the back of his hand. So you saying that the jazz players know "nothing" about the playoffs isn't a very accurate statement.
Mewwem22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 04:42 PM   #43
NASH = BEST
On Campus Baby ; )

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRUMGEE
You only responded to my weakest point.
Nash and companies record against Dallas, San Antonio, and Utah, now thats funny.

Like I said b4, regular season means shyt when it comes to the playoffs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mewwem22
What are you talking about? He made a great point. You're the one that's not really proving your point. All of the jazz "regular" players have been to the playoffs except millsap, deron, and boozer. The other players on the jazz are benchwarmers. And jerry sloan knows the playoffs like the back of his hand. So you saying that the jazz players know "nothing" about the playoffs isn't a very accurate statement.

I said...

Quote:
The playoffs are a completely different animal, one that this Utah Jazz team knows nothing of!!!!

and Ill say it again, the Jazz as a whole dont know jack squat about the playoffs. That argument could have made sence if the Jazz played in the East but remember that this is the West that we are talking about. The only reason the Jazz have a shot at the Second round is because they play an equally bad team in the Rockets in the First round, and it looks like they will draw the Mavs in the second round so an embarrasment against the Suns is unlikely to happen.
Old 03-13-2007, 05:04 PM   #44
FashionIssues
Smooth Operator

FashionIssues is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterFashionIssues is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterFashionIssues is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterFashionIssues is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterFashionIssues is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterFashionIssues is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterFashionIssues is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterFashionIssues is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterFashionIssues is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterFashionIssues is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterFashionIssues is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

at season's end, the warriors will be the most capable underdogs in the first round

and

as the records are reset come the playoffs, a healthy yao and a focused mcgrady will be as best a tandem than anyone in the west with great support to boot
FashionIssues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 05:06 PM   #45
DRUMGEE
I brick open layups

There is 4 reasons the playoffs are a different beast:

1-The game slows down. This will suit both the Rockets and Jazz, but I will give the Jazz an edge here, nobody outexecutes Utah in a halfcourt set. You don't beat Utah playing their game, wich means Houston has to run. Did you see yao try to run against Pheonix.

2-Better preperation and focus on opponent. What else do you learn about Utah? The only new aspect to the Jazz's game is a 7 footer who is a clutch outside threat. Anybody else notice they run some of the same plays for Okur that they did for Hornacek? The Jazz meanwhile are really a cerebreal team, they will pick up on something over the course of this series.

3-Homecourt advantage. Like I said before, Utah's homecourt advantage is going to be huge in the first round. From the fans to the the altitude.

4-Superstars. Stars Play when the lights are on. Houston has a serious advantage, but Deron is going to break out.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: