Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > College and High School Basketball Forum

College and High School Basketball Forum College basketball message board, high school basketball message board

Old 03-14-2007, 12:30 PM   #1
STelfair31
National High School Star

Default USC & O.J. Mayo

Do you think O.J. Mayo could bring the USC basketball program some power or is this just his cop out one year pit-shop before heading to the NBA??

Personally I don't think he's ready for the NBA, but do I kno i'ma 9th grader.... I'll leave it to the scouts...but if he goes to the NBA after one year he'll def... be a bust

HOLLA
STelfair31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2007, 01:47 PM   #2
ThaKing
Decent playground baller

Default Re: USC & O.J. Mayo

No, he would be a good NBA player right now. He has great size for an NBA PG, and is extremlely skilled. As for USC their program is on the rise, they got a 5 seed this year and thats the highest I can ever remember it in my lifetime. They have good young players and good recruits coming in. Next year they will be a top 10 team, IMO, and a very dangerous team come next March. Kansas plays at USC next year, should be a terrific game. I like Mayo, but he isn't the player Derrick Rose is, again IMO
ThaKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2007, 03:27 PM   #3
TheGame414
Decent college freshman

Rose is more of a true PG and is more athletic, but Mayo's bigger, stronger and a better scorer. They're both very smart basketball players. I don't know if I'd really say one's clearly better than the other. Throw IDKWTI is in the mix and I'd say that they're three very different guards, and it's hard to say which is the best.
TheGame414 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2007, 08:49 PM   #4
IBall280
Decent playground baller

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThaKing
No, he would be a good NBA player right now. He has great size for an NBA PG, and is extremlely skilled. As for USC their program is on the rise, they got a 5 seed this year and thats the highest I can ever remember it in my lifetime. They have good young players and good recruits coming in. Next year they will be a top 10 team, IMO, and a very dangerous team come next March. Kansas plays at USC next year, should be a terrific game. I like Mayo, but he isn't the player Derrick Rose is, again IMO
i do agree they are on the rise, but i dont like wen ppl get sent to nba rite out of high skool i think they should experience college.
IBall280 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 10:15 PM   #5
idizzle
Good college starter

Where does anyone see O.J. Mayo playing for in the NBA when he does his one and done thing at USC.
idizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 12:59 AM   #6
TheGame414
Decent college freshman

That question made no sense.

Anyway, he better stop punching teammates in the face, like he did in a pickup game recently, and stop getting in altercations with referees, like he did last season, if he wants to do anything in the NBA.

Being under a microscope from that young of an age can force a player to grow up and prepare them for the spotlight, like it did for LeBron, or it can ruin them, like it did Sebastian Telfair (who wasn't that great anyway, but whatever).

Maybe Mayo's heading for the latter.
Old 10-18-2007, 01:18 AM   #7
IlliniFan
NBA rookie of the year

The class of 08 seems pretty weak in comparison to 07. No really big names like Mayo and Rose. How is the 09 talent looking in comparison to these classes?
IlliniFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 12:20 PM   #8
idizzle
Good college starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by idizzle
Where does anyone see O.J. Mayo playing for in the NBA when he does his one and done thing at USC.

What I meant to say was that O.J. Mayo is just going to USC just to put a Kevin Durant and I what I meant to say was what NBA team do you think would take a chance on him? He's a 6'5 PG-SG and strong.
idizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 02:04 PM   #9
TheGame414
Decent college freshman

How does one "put a Kevin Durant?" Further, if one can do so, where would one put a Kevin Durant? He's, like, 6'10". I've got a pretty nice apartment but I don't have room for something 6'10". Then again, Mayo's gonna be pretty rich in a year, I'm sure he'd have room for one in his home.

As far as who's gonna draft him.....who the f-ck knows right now? It's reasonable to expect he'll be a high lottery pick, but it's not a lock. He has major attitude/behavior issues and he may not turn out to be quite the megastar everyone thinks. He's pretty damn good, but even if we assume he's a high lottery pick, who the hell knows what team is gonna have those high picks right now?

Your question made slightly more sense that time around, but that may not be a good thing because it was stupid.
Old 10-24-2007, 10:49 PM   #10
greeziak889
Saw a basketball once

Mayo was the man on his team in high school. he's still the man at USC but he hasn't proven it to anyone yet. I've only seen him play 2 or 3 times in high school and he didn't match the hype. No doubt hes a phenom, he showed that much, but he'll need to adjust to taking a lot less shots and show us he didn't stop getting better after his junior season is hs.
greeziak889 is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: