Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 03-15-2007, 01:19 AM   #1
JMEWLS

Default Improve Your Game?

How do you guys improve your game?

All i do is just shoot and shoot and shoot. I play pickup games with my friends too but thats about it. I've been playing for about 3years now, but only started playing seriously like last year. I think i've developed a lot since i first started.

What about everyone else, how do you improve your game in basketball?
Old 03-15-2007, 01:31 AM   #2
space
Local High School Star

Default Re: Improve Your Game?

I shoot a while then I play one on one with friends. At the same time, I also improve my D.
space is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2007, 01:41 AM   #3
L.Kizzle
ISH's Negro Historian

I thought you were talking about game with females, since this is the off the court section.

Shoot free throws, shoot 3-pointers, shoot pull up jumper, shoot step-back jumpers, do lay-ups, practice fade-aways, practice hook-shoots, practice with your off-hand and RUN alot for stamina.

Thats what I used to do s I don't hoop on a regular basis like I did when I was in Elimentary, Middle and High School. Now I'm in college and don't have time.
L.Kizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2007, 09:20 AM   #4
different107
National High School Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMEWLS
How do you guys improve your game?

All i do is just shoot and shoot and shoot. I play pickup games with my friends too but thats about it. I've been playing for about 3years now, but only started playing seriously like last year. I think i've developed a lot since i first started.

What about everyone else, how do you improve your game in basketball?
I do the same thing
different107 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2007, 09:25 AM   #5
Rameek
Krust Kingz

working on basics but playing with better competition forces you to step up your game and playing with friends repeatedly makes you change your moves because they know whats coming!
Rameek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2007, 09:41 AM   #6
VCDrivesAPorscheToWork
Very good NBA starter

depends what you mean.

for better shooting, learn the proper mechanics. squaring your shoulders, putting the ball on your fingers, understanding how to put lift into your shot with your legs, proper follow through on the shot, etc...

then practice practice practice. the key is consistency. once you hit that SWISH shot, do EVERYTHING you can to remember EXACTLY what you did. EXACTLY. the amount of leg strength. the amount of flick on the ball with your fingers. the way you held it, the way you stood.

all good pure shooters are consistent with their overall mechanism.

to improve defense, you just have to work hard and energetically and always make the life of the offensive player a living hell.

and watch more basketball games and watch how the guys WITHOUT the ball operate. improving ball IQ is a surefire way to win games.
VCDrivesAPorscheToWork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2007, 10:07 AM   #7
ronron15
High School Starter

best way to get better is do mad drills and play with people tats better than you...

after they bust your ass, think about wat u need to improve, do drills on it, then go back stronger...

after playin with ppl better than u, u go back with ppl in ur lvl, ur gonna bust ass...
ronron15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2007, 10:23 AM   #8
Enigmatism
Raving Lunatic

play, shoot around, exercise/work out, kung fu (yes)
Enigmatism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2007, 11:29 AM   #9
Kebab Stall
I am Chris Wilcox

VC eplained it well. I basically always try to get my shooting form right and once I hit it, I try to copy that shot exactly when I shoot again.

Anyone got any tips on how to improve D. I'm pretty good, and probably one of the top defenders on my team, but I still want to improve this part of my game.
Kebab Stall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2007, 06:10 PM   #10
different107
National High School Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kebab Stall
VC eplained it well. I basically always try to get my shooting form right and once I hit it, I try to copy that shot exactly when I shoot again.

Anyone got any tips on how to improve D. I'm pretty good, and probably one of the top defenders on my team, but I still want to improve this part of my game.

Get some good excercises for your legs. Build and strength so you can go faster and have more endurance
different107 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2007, 06:16 PM   #11
VCDrivesAPorscheToWork
Very good NBA starter

if you are a bit on the fat side (i don't mean an obese guy. I mean even if you have some extra fat around the stomach area you suck in)

consider losing it.

you will be immensely faster and you will have more spring to your movements.
Old 03-15-2007, 06:18 PM   #12
Cannonball
Lets GO PENS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kebab Stall

Are you a big man or a guard?

Really D is all mental. you gotta get it in your head that you are not going to let the guy score. If your a big man you gotta deny the ball like crazy and push and push him as far as you can get him away from the basket. He will get tired quickly usually and than hes pretty much out of the game. Than you can start helping your teamates out.
Cannonball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2007, 06:19 PM   #13
Cannonball
Lets GO PENS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by VCDrivesAPorscheToWork
if you are a bit on the fat side (i don't mean an obese guy. I mean even if you have some extra fat around the stomach area you suck in)

consider losing it.

you will be immensely faster and you will have more spring to your movements.

Just that little bit of weight will hold me back?
Old 03-15-2007, 06:20 PM   #14
VCDrivesAPorscheToWork
Very good NBA starter

not really hold you back, but if get rid of excess weight, your muscles do not have to labor as much and you can move much faster. unless you fancy yourself as a post player and you need the extra weight to bang inside.

but all of the basketball players in the ballpark who are "good players" in the all around game, whether shooting, slashing, finishing, rebounding, defense, etc..

they probably all have six packs.
Old 03-15-2007, 06:26 PM   #15
Cannonball
Lets GO PENS!

No I certainly don't need any more weight I need to loose a bunch. And put muscle in place of it.

I'm think of the Atkins diet, lots of protein because most diets make you cut the protein and you need that to grow right?
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: