Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 03-15-2007, 03:35 AM   #1
lakerfreak
The go-to-guy

lakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Wilt Chamberlain vs. Kareem Abdul Jabbar

They're both hall of fame laker centers that led their teams to championships.

Which one would you have rather had to build your team around?
Who was better?
lakerfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2007, 09:51 AM   #2
Zan Tabak
Only the finest

Zan Tabak has an incredible reputation hereZan Tabak has an incredible reputation hereZan Tabak has an incredible reputation hereZan Tabak has an incredible reputation hereZan Tabak has an incredible reputation hereZan Tabak has an incredible reputation hereZan Tabak has an incredible reputation hereZan Tabak has an incredible reputation here
Default Re: Wilt Chamberlain vs. Kareem Abdul Jabbar

Kareem had a better supporting cast in the Laker years then Wilt did..so I'd go with Wilt..one man wrecking crue
Zan Tabak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2007, 09:57 AM   #3
bigkingsfan
Gif-ted

bigkingsfan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbigkingsfan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbigkingsfan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbigkingsfan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbigkingsfan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbigkingsfan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbigkingsfan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbigkingsfan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbigkingsfan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbigkingsfan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbigkingsfan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Hard to say considering the majority of us never saw Wilt played, and even Kareem.
bigkingsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2007, 10:38 AM   #4
dejordan
Mars Blackmon Lives!

dejordan has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zan Tabak
Kareem had a better supporting cast in the Laker years then Wilt did..so I'd go with Wilt..one man wrecking crue
wilt played with a few great players himself. top of my head hall of famers w/ wilt - greer, cunningham in phili & west, baylor, & goodrich in la. top of my head hofers w/ kareem - oscar on the bucks & magic, worthy, mcadoo. i may be forgetting some for each. (i think wilt played with paul arizin actualy, so that's another for him off the top). anyway, i always felt that kareem's clutch scoring really set him apart from most of the other top centers. he was still a rebounding, scoring, shot blocking menance like the wilts, shaqs, and hakeems, but he's maybe the most clutch post scorer ever (unless you count mj as a post scorer). it's very close, and i don't have a problem with either one of them being considered the goat center, but i always leaned towards mr. skyhook. probably helps that i saw him play though
dejordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2007, 10:44 AM   #5
wally_world
M0derator

wally_world is considered somewhat coolwally_world is considered somewhat cool

statistically... Wilt... he was just sick... that 100pt game... averaging 25rpg... a passing guy... just can't imagine how he does all that stuff! considering he's a 50% FT shooter!

skills wise i think KAJ gets it... he was the best shotblokcer i can think of and mastered the game very well... if wasn't for his "supporting cast" like Magic... i guess he'll get the same stats that Wilt did...

overall... i think KAJ is the better!
wally_world is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2007, 10:46 AM   #6
rzp
Local High School Star

rzp has an OK reputation so far

lol was Wilt the lakers leader? wasnt he old and broken down (averaging 20ppg ...shi*t considering we are talking about Chamb)? . Give me KAJ ...he is a true Laker
lol im talking about their lakers careers of course

Last edited by rzp : 03-15-2007 at 10:51 AM.
rzp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2007, 11:20 AM   #7
dejordan
Mars Blackmon Lives!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rzp
lol was Wilt the lakers leader? wasnt he old and broken down (averaging 20ppg ...shi*t considering we are talking about Chamb)? . Give me KAJ ...he is a true Laker
lol im talking about their lakers careers of course
i actually think wilt's scoring numbers dipped primarily because the coach wanted to get out and run with west and goodrich, so it became wilt's job to block shots, rebound, and outlet so the guards could get theirs, kind of like bill russell did in boston.
Old 03-15-2007, 11:25 AM   #8
Timmy D for MVP
Chuck Hayes Stan

Timmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

I'd pick Wilt, because for me, a Big Man's most important role is dominating defense, and rebounding. Wilt had both, don't get me wrong KAJ was dominate in those too, but not like Wilt (I asume from what I know, I'm not like 65 years old so I've never seen him play obviously). Throw Wilt in with Duncan and add some shooting guards (not the position but guards who can shoot, both mid range and long range), and that's one hell of a team.
Timmy D for MVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2007, 11:31 AM   #9
dejordan
Mars Blackmon Lives!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmy D for MVP
I'd pick Wilt, because for me, a Big Man's most important role is dominating defense, and rebounding. Wilt had both, don't get me wrong KAJ was dominate in those too, but not like Wilt (I asume from what I know, I'm not like 65 years old so I've never seen him play obviously). Throw Wilt in with Duncan and add some shooting guards (not the position but guards who can shoot, both mid range and long range), and that's one hell of a team.
i'm stocking up on big ugly guys with lots of fouls, and putting your front line to the test just kidding. that would be a champ squad w/out a doubt!
Old 03-15-2007, 11:58 AM   #10
Glove_20
The Expert

Glove_20 is considered somewhat coolGlove_20 is considered somewhat coolGlove_20 is considered somewhat cool

Kareem is the greatest center of all-time. Wilt is a close 2nd though.
Glove_20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2007, 02:11 PM   #11
Wuxia
Local High School Star

Wuxia has decent reputation

Statisticly, I'd have to go with Wilt, but stats can be misleading. I never saw either man played in their prime.
Wuxia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2007, 02:16 PM   #12
Real Men Wear Green
Your ad here

Real Men Wear Green is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableReal Men Wear Green is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableReal Men Wear Green is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableReal Men Wear Green is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableReal Men Wear Green is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableReal Men Wear Green is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableReal Men Wear Green is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableReal Men Wear Green is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableReal Men Wear Green is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableReal Men Wear Green is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableReal Men Wear Green is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wuxia
Statisticly, I'd have to go with Wilt, but stats can be misleading. I never saw either man played in their prime.
And that's the problem with this thread: Who on this board saw prime Chamberlain? Myself, as a child I saw the end of Jabbar's career, and that's it.
Real Men Wear Green is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2007, 02:29 PM   #13
lakers-city
Good college starter

lakers-city has decent reputationlakers-city has decent reputation

kareem is the goat center, i'll build around him over anybody including jordan.
lakers-city is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2007, 02:35 PM   #14
Cannonball
Lets GO PENS!

Cannonball has a near all-star reputation hereCannonball has a near all-star reputation hereCannonball has a near all-star reputation hereCannonball has a near all-star reputation hereCannonball has a near all-star reputation hereCannonball has a near all-star reputation here

I have never seen either play.
Cannonball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2007, 03:23 PM   #15
Psileas
NBA lottery pick

Psileas is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPsileas is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPsileas is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPsileas is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPsileas is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPsileas is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPsileas is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPsileas is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPsileas is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Wilt, though not obviously by much. Basically, I'd make sure to approach him a la Alex Hannum, under whose directions, he played his best basketball. My general instruction to him would be "we all know you're skilled. Now forget skills. I want you to play in the paint 95% of the time. Take 20 shots, shoot 60% and find the open men after every double team on you. Defense, you already do good. But you don't have to jump to block every shot. Intimidate opponents. Don't forget: Less blocks mean more rebounds for you. ". Basically, that's the thing that I'd say to Kareem, as well, but I think Wilt would have been easier, at least a 30-32 y.o Wilt.
Psileas is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: