Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 03-15-2007, 07:51 PM   #1
bomber
Good college starter

bomber has decent reputationbomber has decent reputation
Default Semi-Ot How to "Slash/Drive" Better

Im on the offseason now, My jumper is good with a pretty decent speed release and great range. Im not super athletic or anything but I was wondering if anyone had any tips about getting to the rim a little bit better. My first step is alright but after that its down hill. Just looking for a few pointers now that my Varsity season is over I have a chance to play some College Ball. Im not totally clueless I can certainly get to the rack Just looking for a few minor tips thats all.
bomber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2007, 07:56 PM   #2
konex
3-time NBA All-Star

konex has no real reputation yet.
Default Re: Semi-Ot How to "Slash/Drive" Better

Perfect dribbling with your off-hand so the defender can't overplay one side..
konex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2007, 08:02 PM   #3
Skywalker
LFC|JAYS|RAPS|VIKES

Skywalker is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSkywalker is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSkywalker is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSkywalker is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSkywalker is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSkywalker is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSkywalker is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSkywalker is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSkywalker is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSkywalker is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSkywalker is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

study Garbajosa, he uses different fakes and jukes to drive by anyone despite being slower than most
Skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2007, 08:39 PM   #4
ripthekik
GIVEN NOT EARNED

ripthekik has decent reputation

heres what i think:
footwork.

even if u have a slow firststep, or average, its alright as long as your footsteps are right.
when facing the basket and having the defender right in front of me,
i like to stick my left foot to where the defender's left foot is, thus blocking the defender with my body, and the ball as is far from him as possible with my right hand dribbling.
at that point u've shield him off, and u can drive with ur right hand as hard as u want, try to beat him, cut in front of him and u have the rim to yourself.
ripthekik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2007, 09:03 PM   #5
pete's montreux
Blu Ray™ Savant

pete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Use two hands. A lot of players will make a move and have the ball in one hand. Hold onto the ball with two hands in the lane, that way you can switch hands faster if need be. Also, learn to cradle the ball like a running back when you're driving. Works wonders for guys who like to hack.
pete's montreux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2007, 09:36 PM   #6
Rameek
Krust Kingz

Rameek is a pretty well-respected posterRameek is a pretty well-respected posterRameek is a pretty well-respected posterRameek is a pretty well-respected poster

If you can control your dribble with both hands is a great start...
Figuring a way to get the defender off balance as mentioned before jukes, crossover, pump fakes etc...
First step positioning is key as much as speed...
Lanes you take to the rim also plays a major factor the shortest distance between to points is a straight line...
Use your body and the rim to keep the defender off of you...

Rameek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2007, 09:55 PM   #7
different107
National High School Star

different107 has decent reputation

I would watch some players in the NCAA/NBA who are good at it and learn from them
different107 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2007, 10:19 PM   #8
Loki
Banned

Loki is considered somewhat coolLoki is considered somewhat cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by ripthekik
heres what i think:
footwork.

even if u have a slow firststep, or average, its alright as long as your footsteps are right.
when facing the basket and having the defender right in front of me,
i like to stick my left foot to where the defender's left foot is, thus blocking the defender with my body, and the ball as is far from him as possible with my right hand dribbling.
at that point u've shield him off, and u can drive with ur right hand as hard as u want, try to beat him, cut in front of him and u have the rim to yourself.

This is good advice. I do something similar based on the same principle:

Dribble casually laterally, getting to the spot on the floor where you want to start your drive. Then, when your left/right foot is crossing towards their corresponding side, explode with your first step. This gives you a half-second head start in getting your head and shoulders past the defender, and prevents them from sliding their feet to "open up" defensively.
Loki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2007, 10:26 PM   #9
qrich
King Heno

qrich is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterqrich is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterqrich is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterqrich is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterqrich is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterqrich is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterqrich is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterqrich is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterqrich is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Learn to split the defense with the hop-step if you are trying to slash against a zone.
qrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2007, 10:40 PM   #10
Loki
Banned

Loki is considered somewhat coolLoki is considered somewhat cool

If you're playing against a zone, it's much easier to penetrate after flashing to the ball and receiving it rather than after dribbling the ball for a few seconds, because the defense will all have an eye on you. After catching on the fly, you'll have lanes open to you if you react quickly enough. Coming in behind another player's penetration is another great way to get to the rim against a zone. If you have really good footwork (fakes/jukes etc.) it will be easier to get semi-penetration (at least) against zone than against man coverage, because the zone defenders will frequently be out of position when defending you on the catch, and you can use your footwork to prevent them from establishing good defensive position, keeping them off-balance and allowing you to get past them (whether you get all the way to the rim is on you, though ). Against man coverage, your defender is more frequently in good defensive position against you since he's concentrating solely on you.

Last edited by Loki : 03-15-2007 at 10:48 PM.
Loki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2007, 10:57 PM   #11
ripthekik
GIVEN NOT EARNED

ripthekik has decent reputation

true, i'm a player where i like to have the ball in my hands and dribble around before i drive. when its man, i get an isolation. against zones, I can get past my man, then i'll meet 3 guys in the lane. sure i can manuaver a bit to the side and get a shot, but it's always a tough shot, and if i miss i look like a jackass

but yea its always easier to penetrate the zone if you're already moving. or at least the sec you touch the ball your body should be on the move already.
catch them off guard or if their flat-footed, make them pay
ripthekik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2007, 11:16 PM   #12
Rameek
Krust Kingz

Rameek is a pretty well-respected posterRameek is a pretty well-respected posterRameek is a pretty well-respected posterRameek is a pretty well-respected poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by ripthekik
true, i'm a player where i like to have the ball in my hands and dribble around before i drive. when its man, i get an isolation. against zones, I can get past my man, then i'll meet 3 guys in the lane. sure i can manuaver a bit to the side and get a shot, but it's always a tough shot, and if i miss i look like a jackass

but yea its always easier to penetrate the zone if you're already moving. or at least the sec you touch the ball your body should be on the move already.
catch them off guard or if their flat-footed, make them pay
3 guys in the lane means pass the rock to the open player or pull up for the short J
Rameek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2007, 11:54 PM   #13
Timmy D for MVP
Chuck Hayes Stan

Timmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

I had the same problem because I'm a bit undersized. And the solution was simple.

Attack! Seriously, I just began to go aggressivly, no fears, and eventually I learned a mentallity, no matter who guards me I'm taking it to them, straight in their teeth. Utilize the hop step, and if your a reputable passer fake a pass, but always look for an escape route or an open player. I like to pound it in and then fade away or bring it under the defense whatever works but the key is confidence and awareness.
Timmy D for MVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2007, 01:20 PM   #14
Da KO King
NBA sixth man of the year

Da KO King has a terrific reputationDa KO King has a terrific reputationDa KO King has a terrific reputationDa KO King has a terrific reputationDa KO King has a terrific reputationDa KO King has a terrific reputation

First, I have to say stop useless dribbling. Only times you should dribble are when you need to improve the angle on a pass, need to relieve pressure on the ball, or need to create room on a shot. Way too many guys catch the ball and just start dribbling even when bounces aren't needed. Just stopping the pointless dribble will improve your slashing.

Second, is learn to pivot properly with both feet. If you only pivot with one foot your options of attack are cut in half.

Third, attack the up-foot. What ever foot the defender has closest to you is the foot you want to attack. By doing that you force that defender to make a full reverse pivot to try and stay with you if you start a drive.

Last for now is make sure you are attacking on straight lines. Image there is a straight line between the rim, the defender, and your current position on the court. You want to stay on this line. Do this by attacking and going by the defender's hip. You want your drive past the defender to look like / and not like ) cause the second gives the defender more time to stay with you.
Da KO King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2007, 02:57 PM   #15
20 Dimes A Game
HeartHustleHope

20 Dimes A Game has an OK reputation so far

Make your defender commit.

Use a shot or pass fake.
20 Dimes A Game is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: