Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 03-16-2007, 04:06 PM   #16
dejordan
Mars Blackmon Lives!

dejordan has an OK reputation so far
Default Re: Semi-Ot How to "Slash/Drive" Better

the biggest thing i'd say is to change speeds. you don't have to be especially fast. you just need to be faster than they think you are. watch how many different speeds nash and kidd move at. another nice way to get by guys and have enough time to reach the paint is to start your drive without the ball. if you can catch the ball moving away from the rim and immediately reverse yourself you can usually catch a defender flat footed if he knows your a good shooter. for me, because i'm a mediocre handler, the most important part of having a good driving game is always hitting jumpers early. hit your first couple outside shots, and suddenly you can pump fake your way into the lane pretty easily (of course if you're vertically challenged like me, you might want to just use that pump fake to get space and hit an open j).
dejordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2007, 04:40 PM   #17
Number2
I hit open layups

Number2 has an OK reputation so far

Attacking quickly and making decisions quickly are two of the biggest factors, I think, in becoming a successful slasher... That means don't let your defender feel out your motivations... Just go!
Number2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2007, 05:55 PM   #18
Jaz
I airball my layups

Jaz has an OK reputation so far

Losing that extra 40 pounds might help.
Jaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2007, 06:49 PM   #19
bomber
Good college starter

bomber has decent reputationbomber has decent reputation

Im actually in much better shape then you and adding muscle

No need to be a queer internet disser
bomber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2007, 06:56 PM   #20
KWALI
erudite

KWALI has an OK reputation so far

I must say I am impressed by most of these suggestions and Da KO KING needs to talk to several NBA player (eg Vince Carter) if they knew what he did they would be gods...really.

but yeah almost everything that needs to be asid was said by dejordan..DA Ko King and LOKI.couple of other dues to.

Change speeds. Attack in straight lines to reduce defenders ability to recover and to cut them off/get them off balance. Don't give up your dribble needlessly. Use fakes to set-up your drive (fake pass/shot) look at the keys i your defenders stance and detwermine where he or she is teh weakest...don't know if the topic starter is a he or she.
KWALI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2007, 09:58 PM   #21
Da KO King
NBA sixth man of the year

Da KO King has a terrific reputationDa KO King has a terrific reputationDa KO King has a terrific reputationDa KO King has a terrific reputationDa KO King has a terrific reputationDa KO King has a terrific reputation

Something that I realize has not been said yet is sometimes you have to shoot the pull-up J instead of finishing at the hoop.

Don't force the issue. If the paint is too crowded for you to finish at the hoops that's when you go to your in-between game.
Da KO King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2007, 10:45 PM   #22
Carbine
Facts Are Misleading

Carbine has decent reputationCarbine has decent reputation

To become a better slasher you need:

1) A strong handle - if you can't handle well with people around you it's probably an area you need to work on.

2) Dribble moves. Have you practiced your crossover? Change of pass dribble moved? To become a better slasher you first need to beat your defender with a quick, decisive move.

3) The object of slashing is to create a shot, or finish a basket. You probably hear this all to often but the primary thing to keep in mind when slashing for a lay-up is to have a go-to shot and a counter if they take it away.

Some tips on finishing around the hoop....

1) The rim is your friend. Use it as a shield from the bigger defenders.

2) Jump into the body of a big guy - it limits his ability to get off the floor quickly and block your shot cleanly

3) Have an ability to finish with both hands in traffic.
Carbine is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: