Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Toronto Raptors Forum

Toronto Raptors Forum Toronto Raptors message board - Toronto Raptors forum

Old 06-06-2006, 11:50 AM   #31
Dr.Funk
Decent college freshman

You'd trade Charlie for Magloire?

Besides the fact that Magloire is grossly overrated, I wouldn't even trade Mo Pete.
Dr.Funk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2006, 11:55 AM   #32
The Captain
Can barely lace up my sneakers

why would anyone trade Charlie to fill the hole at pg or centre? We have roughly 12 mil to throw to FA's and a #1 to dangle. why is everyone 's solutions trade arguably our 2nd best player. this is not making much sense to me.

Charlie is already better then Dalembert, and is eons ahead of magloire as an offensive threat. Sure Magloire can rebound and is semi-tough, but at the price he expects from the homeland team, I would rather have Przybilla, who is overall a better player because he can score a little more.
The Captain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2006, 12:02 PM   #33
Orealius
Great young streetballer

Stop with the Charlie for Magloire talk... just stop. That is just a horrible idea. Anyway, here's a pretty good read....

Quote:
Colangelo keeps all draft options open
MICHAEL GRANGE

From Tuesday's Globe and Mail

It's been two weeks since Bryan Colangelo proved his worth in his new role as president and general manager of the Toronto Raptors by overseeing the club's first win at the National Basketball Association draft lottery.

But with three weeks to go until he gets to use the No. 1 pick overall, he's no closer to knowing what he's going to do with it.

"At this point, anything goes," said Colangelo, who is in Orlando this week for the NBA predraft camp. "We are continuing to run the draft process as we normally would [and] everything is still on the table."

When the Ping-Pong balls fell to give the Raptors the first overall pick, Colangelo said he would proceed along multiple paths to make sure that each possible option was explored before the draft on June 28 in New York.

Judging by the players the Raptors have had in Toronto so far for evaluations, the options are varied.

The most obvious is to simply keep the No. 1 pick and use it on one of the handful of top players the Raptors have yet to have visit Toronto: Andrea Bargnani, who is playing professionally in Italy, LaMarcus Aldridge of the University of Texas, Tyrus Thomas of Louisiana State or Adam Morrison of Gonzaga.

A second option would be to exchange picks with one of the teams -- likely the Portland Trail Blazers at No. 4 or Atlanta Hawks at No. 5 -- slightly further down in the draft order.

The thinking is that with the top five or so players in the draft considered to be fairly comparable, why not use a lower pick to get a equally valuable player at a cheaper salary? The first pick in the draft will earn about $4.3-million (U.S.) more than the fifth pick over the next three seasons.

One player the Raptors are thought to have an eye on if they do trade down to fifth or even lower is Marcus Williams, the University of Connecticut point guard considered the top player at his position.

An even more aggressive move would be to trade down to the Nos. 10 to 20 range -- the New Orleans Hornets, for example, have the Nos. 12 and 15 picks -- and possible still come out of the draft with the likes of Rajon Rondo, a lightning-quick point guard from of the University of Kentucky.

Both Williams and Rondo have been in Toronto for workouts.

Things get even more difficult to pin down if you consider packaging the No. 1pick with the likes of sophomore forward Charlie Villanueva. If Colangelo is serious about speeding up the Raptors' rebuilding process it's a move that could net the team the likes of Indiana Pacers forward Jermaine O'Neal or Memphis Grizzlies forward Paul Gasol, if on-line rumours are to be believed.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servl...ry/Sports/home
Orealius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2006, 12:47 PM   #34
craigthomasb
College star

i like the idea of getting 2 picks for the #1 but i think that the #1 is worth more than the 12 and 15, if they were to throw in jr smith who they want rid of then it would be more fair to us

we'd then be able to get a solid pg, a back up 2 (jr smith) and some help at the center position (cedrick simmons or hilton armstrong) and we'd still ahve a tonne of cap space to sign a FA centre (joel P or nene) and then we would defiantley have the BEST young team in the nba

coming out of the draft with either rondo, rodrieguez(another european player), brewer, or farmer to split the point with calderon and either O'Bryant, s williams, simmons armstrong or gray to play as a legit back up centre would really make our roster look nice and very well balanced

other than that

i would consider trading charlie V to the sixers for andre igudouala and #13, maybe throw in araujo and eric williams or whatever, thats the nly way i'd consider trading charlie V, i dont want a veteren for him, i want osmeone who is proven now with future all star ability (and iggy plays nice defense)
craigthomasb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2006, 01:04 PM   #35
DoubleTech
NBA lottery pick

Thumbs down nooo

we need to hang onto charlie! the guy has too much skills and has bonded with Bosh... i think making Bosh as comfortable as possible is the best way to ensure that he continues to improve and remain motivated. I'm not sure why people are interested in moving Charlie for a pick in this year's draft. This draft wasn't supposed to be anything special, and still isn't really. Villa is a SURE THING with immense talent and maturity, we really have no idea what we would get out of a draft pick.

i say keep our pick and draft aldridge (who's working out with bosh right now in Texas) or trade back a few spots and get two talented pieces for the price of one.

moving an asset like charlie to get another asset that MIGHT not be as good is silly.
DoubleTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2006, 01:44 PM   #36
Faufner
Serious playground baller

When you're talking about trading Villanueva, please don't mention Magloire on the other end of the deal.
Faufner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 12:47 PM   #37
bonez26
Local High School Star

however Charlie is one of our only tradeable assets...that's why he's being mentioned...if I could trade Dalembert for Hoffa don't you think we'd snap it up. Our only tradeable assets:

Bosh (untouchable)
Charlie (possibly)
Mo Pete (possibly)
Matt Bonner (unlikely)
Mike James (in S&T but may just walk)
bonez26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 01:55 PM   #38
T-Low
College superstar

Villenueva should honestly stay in Toronto. He brings to much upside to the team. I am not trying to make this seem like a big fact, but he is the only person to scaore 48 points or more in a game since 1997. The kid is on a destruction path with the NBA and the NBA won't know what hit them until he starts to become the superstar that he is. Keep him, playoff contender.......I think so.
T-Low is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 03:09 PM   #39
Unregistered

First off Dallas won't deal Howard for Cvill so it doesn't matter. I personally think that Cvill is fine as a rap, and that they should just run him and Bosh at 4/5 together, like Phoenix does with Amare. There aren't many C's left in the League anyway and I never understood the token C, like Hoffa. As much as we all want to win now, we also have to be realistic. The raps were one of the worst teams in basketball last year and for most of the previous years. Adding some vets will only make us have a worst draft pick. We aren't close to a title, so as much as we all don't want to realize it, we're still rebuilding. The key is to get some young players, like Cvill and like Iggy would have been, to play with Bosh and grow into the future.
Old 06-10-2006, 09:42 PM   #40
bk15
I hit open layups

I Wouldnt trade Charlie V he brings the fire for toronto fans plus maybe we can turn him in to a SF

Boris Diaw
Phoenix Suns
Position: F
Height: 6-8 Weight: 215
Player file | Team stats

2005-06 Statistics
PPG 13.3
RPG 6.9
APG 6.2
SPG .72
BPG 1.05
FG% .526
FT% .731
3P% .267
MPG 35.5

Charlie Villanueva
Toronto Raptors
Position: F
Height: 6-11 Weight: 240
College : Connecticut
Player file | Team stats

2005-06 Statistics
PPG 13.0
RPG 6.4
APG 1.1
SPG .74
BPG .78
FG% .463
FT% .706
3P% .327
MPG 29.1

ALL we need to do is SLIM him down to improve his speed

ANd as for not trading Bonner...WE BETTER DOIT..I HATE HIM
bk15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2006, 11:54 AM   #41
Dr.Funk
Decent college freshman

Gotta love Raptors fans.

Last offseason a be-heading would have happend if Bonner wasn't re-signed now this off season a be-heading will happen if he's not traded.
Dr.Funk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2006, 12:48 PM   #42
Raptorballfan
I airball my layups

Default Cv#

Charlie doesn't have to slim down to become quicker. He's a strong player who is not overweight. If he slims down he has to lose muscle. You only ask overweight players to slim down to become quicker.

You can't make Charlie into another player. He's not the type of player who is going to average 6 assists per game like Diaw. Charlie is what he is. I'm not against trading him for another player, it makes sense simply because he has value. I'd love to find a way to keep him as I love his game but it's true, we don't have a lot of tradeable assets so you have to look at a lot of things. I think that Colangelo has a good grasp on his job, I don't see Colangelo trading Charlie for a minor player. We'll get value back if we are willing to trade a valuable player.

If the rumours are true that Colangelo could pull off a blockbuster trade, who's going to go? If it's not Bosh, then it has to be CV3 or Mo-Pete. Trading anybody else on the team wouldn't be considered a blockbuster. We have 2 guys other than bosh who carry value on the trade market. They are Mo-Pete, and Charlie V. We're not going to get value for Bonner, or Eric Williams. Who's left Pape Sow? Joey Graham? neither of those players has developed enough to be of any real value. Other teams may take a chance on them based on potential, but there isn't anybody who carries value like Bosh, Mo-Pete and Charlie. So if we want to see improvement, that's who you're looking at losing.

The key is to not look at who we might be losing, because we know who they are, but the key is to look at what we can get back in return.
Raptorballfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2006, 01:57 PM   #43
T-Low
College superstar

I don't think it is the fact that people want him (Matt Bonner) traded, but as people have been saying about Charlie Villanueva, he has trade value. He is very tradeable with a very good contract on his hands. Boston wanted him, trade him to Boston. He is a good 3-point player and a good garbage rebounder but other than that, his skills are mostly average or just below average. Who wouldn't want a guy that can hit everything while he is open PLUS has a great contract to go with it?
T-Low is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: