Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Los Angeles Lakers Forum

Los Angeles Lakers Forum Los Angeles Lakers message board - los angeles lakers fan forum

Old 06-29-2006, 11:04 PM   #61
Jerm
I'm trying to improve myself. I'm the new, better Jerm

Jerm has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
I'm trying to say I don't even compare things like that. Losing a child is losing a child. I don't really care where you are from, makes no difference to me.

I'm saying that you can't compare the 2 when you haven't lost a child of your own. When you do, then tell me the difference.

Stop being ignorant.

Common sense tells us that degree of attachment will determine degree of pain when you lose the object of affection. I don't see how you can argue otherwise. Every loss isn't equal no matter how you want to pretend they are.

Ofcouse they all hurt but nobody is arguing that. We all feel bad for the family but I don't agree with the guy who said we can't think of anything worse and TMOGE who said it is worse than losing a 6 year old.

Last edited by Jerm : 06-29-2006 at 11:06 PM.
Jerm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2006, 11:09 PM   #62
Sham
Great young streetballer

Sham has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerm
Common sense tells us that degree of attachment will determine degree of pain when you lose the object of affection. I don't see how you can argue otherwise. Every loss isn't equal no matter how you want to pretend they are. Ofcouse they all hurt but nobody is arguing that.

Step outside the box for a second. Let's say your wife just went through 9 months of labour and gave birth to your first child. 6 months later your child dies. You never had a 6 year old child. There's nothing to compare the loss too. It hurts like hell, no matter what the age of the child is. It's an absolute pain.

Also, based on your logic, it hurts even more when your 98 year old grandmother dies as opposed to your 6 year old child.
Sham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2006, 11:13 PM   #63
Jerm
I'm trying to improve myself. I'm the new, better Jerm

Jerm has an OK reputation so far

98 year old grandmother probably lives alone in a maternity home somewhere and you aren't that closely attached to her anymore over the years so it won't hurt as much as the new attachment you have just newly developed. You knew the answer to that question, why did you choose to ask it anyway?
Jerm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2006, 11:16 PM   #64
Sham
Great young streetballer

Sham has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerm
98 year old grandmother probably lives alone in a maternity home somewhere and you aren't that closely attached to her anymore over the years so it won't hurt as much as the new attachment you have just newly developed. You knew the answer to that question, why did you choose to ask it anyway?

Well you're assuming alot of things there. I was just using that as an example.

I don't think it's fair to say that losing a 6 year old hurts worse than losing a 6 month old. Lot of variables involved, like degree of attachment, how many children the parents have, etc.

Anyways, condolences to the Odom family. 6 months old, 6 years old, 60 years old. It doesn't matter. I don't want to waste too much energy arguing about something so trivial.
Sham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2006, 11:17 PM   #65
itsmedamien
I airball my layups

itsmedamien has an OK reputation so far

sad ****! don't even want to imagine what his family must be going through.
itsmedamien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2006, 11:17 PM   #66
Sound and Fury
Verbosity Incarnate

Sound and Fury is considered somewhat coolSound and Fury is considered somewhat coolSound and Fury is considered somewhat cool

Something my father once told me sticks in my mind...

"What is the order of happiness?"

"Grandparents die... parents die... children die..."

"WHAT?!? What kind of answer is that?!?"

"Okay, what order do YOU want it in?"

Think about that one for a second before replying to it. Death is a part of the human condition. I am fortunate - both of my parents are still alive. I expect, however, that some day I will have to bury both of them. Yes, I will be sad, but not devastated... after all, they are both nearing retirement and have lived full lives... and in the back of our minds, once we become adults - and especially parents ourselves, most of us expect some day we'll have to deal with losing our parents. If you're not there now, you'll be there eventually. It tends to hit about the time you are in your mid-20's, once you realize you're not immortal.

I am a father of three children (love my wife). I *don't* expect to bury my children. I expect them to bury me. (I hope I have to bury my wife, rather than vice versa, but that's only because I know one of us is going to be hurt unless we die together, and I'd rather it be me that is hurt when she dies than her getting hurt because I die - of course, I'd sacrifice myself for her without a moment's hesitation). I would be devastated... they haven't had a chance to live a full life yet.

As a father of three, thoughts and prayers to Lamar. I very nearly lost my oldest son twice (once at a week or so old, and again at age 4 - last year), and so while I haven't actually lost a child, I've been close and had to start dealing with those emotions while sitting next to him in a hospital bed.

Lamar and family - may you find peace and solace in this time of grief.
Sound and Fury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2006, 11:33 PM   #67
vert48
Can You?

vert48 is considered somewhat coolvert48 is considered somewhat coolvert48 is considered somewhat cool

I have lost two children at a young age. Not easy to get over.
vert48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2006, 06:16 AM   #68
insidehoops
Administrator

insidehoops has disabled reputation

insidehoops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2006, 10:13 AM   #69
ShannonElements
turns illusions for $

ShannonElements is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShannonElements is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShannonElements is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShannonElements is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShannonElements is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShannonElements is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShannonElements is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShannonElements is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShannonElements is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShannonElements is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShannonElements is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

That sucks.
ShannonElements is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2006, 01:46 PM   #70
geeWiz15
Quality Posts™

geeWiz15 has a near all-star reputation heregeeWiz15 has a near all-star reputation heregeeWiz15 has a near all-star reputation heregeeWiz15 has a near all-star reputation heregeeWiz15 has a near all-star reputation heregeeWiz15 has a near all-star reputation here

I'm really, really tired of people reverting to being all somber and full of cliches when death comes around. It drowns out the actual meaningful comments, like Sound and Fury's.

Quote:
It really doesn't matter if your kid is 6 months, 6 years, or 60 years old. It's the same loss...
Well, if your son is 60, you're probably dead. And if somebody is 60, their death is not nearly as unexpected. You can't tell me that if Odom's 60 year old father died, you would care. I wouldn't. But a 6 month old baby? A little different.

Quote:
i know it's not completely respectful, by what does it say the 'baby's mother' and not odom's wife?
Don't worry about being respectful. He doesn't lover her, hence, they're not married. Not uncommon.

Quote:
anyways enough of this, it's getting disrespectful to the dead.
Yeah, we don't want to evoke any zombie revenge riots.

Quote:
Now, I know it would probably be the last thing on Lamar's mind and it does not compare to the pain and sufferring he must be feeling, but wouldn't it suck to be the guy that has to tell Odom he's being traded?
This is the first thought that came to my mind, which is a good representation of why I hope there is no hell. I guess it would depend where he was being traded. I don't think he'd have qualms about going to Miami or Orlando or someplace fun where he can win a title. But what about being traded to a cold, desolate place with a boring, winless team? That would suck! Like, Minnesota sans KG. Could you imagine? I'd be suicidal. If I weren't pooling in millions of dollars every month regardless of my job performance. That's a plus.

Quote:
---A Moment of Silence----
If we all be really really super extra quiet, we can bring him back to life. It's true. That's why we have moments of silence. Right?

Quote:
Wow, the immaturity, and classlessness of this certain posters on this board is actually pretty surprising.
You're right, sir. You are, in fact, a better person than anybody here! Pat yourself on the back. You're a grade A superstar human being.

Quote:
I just got back from playing basketball, I'm tired and I need food. Come home to find out Lamars little kid died and we have two posters who are b!tching at one another trying to win the argument.
Except this one here. 5 minutes ago he was playing basketball, and now he's been devistated by the loss of someone else's kid. Can you measure such empathy?

Quote:
My condolences to Odom and his family. I can't begin to imagine what he's going through right now.
I can. Sadness. With maybe some anger, a pinch of depression, possibly bargaining and hopefully the rest of a healthy coping process.

Quote:
Stop being ignorant.
Aren't you telling him to have a child and then let it die? How else could he be thorougly educated on this issue? Or are you just looking down on him for not being cliched and typing something that sounds reverent and moving on?

Quote:
I have lost two children at a young age. Not easy to get over.
dude, what the hell happened!? two? that's terrible. You live in America? that's practically unheard of here. That really, really sucks. Do you have other children?

Quote:
Anyways, condolences to the Odom family. 6 months old, 6 years old, 60 years old. It doesn't matter.
cliche. addressed above. the first two you could go either way on, but the last one? please.

Quote:
No words to express this.
That's what's great about the English language. There's words to express nearly everything. What we experience we instinctively create a linguistic representation for. Here's some:

adverse, anguished, appalling, awful, bad, calamitous, cataclysmic, catastrophic, crushing, deadly, deathly, deplorable, desolate, destructive, dire, disastrous, doleful, dreadful, fatal, fateful, forlorn, grievous, grim, hapless, harrowing, heart-rending, heartbreaking, ill-fated, ill-starred, lamentable, miserable, mournful, painful, pathetic, pitiable, pitiful, ruinous, sad, shocking, sorrowful, terrible, tragic, unfortunate, unhappy, woeful, and wretched.

Quote:
Something my father once told me sticks in my mind...

"What is the order of happiness?"

"Grandparents die... parents die... children die..."

"WHAT?!? What kind of answer is that?!?"

"Okay, what order do YOU want it in?"

Think about that one for a second before replying to it. Death is a part of the human condition. I am fortunate - both of my parents are still alive. I expect, however, that some day I will have to bury both of them. Yes, I will be sad, but not devastated... after all, they are both nearing retirement and have lived full lives... and in the back of our minds, once we become adults - and especially parents ourselves, most of us expect some day we'll have to deal with losing our parents. If you're not there now, you'll be there eventually. It tends to hit about the time you are in your mid-20's, once you realize you're not immortal.

I am a father of three children (love my wife). I *don't* expect to bury my children. I expect them to bury me. (I hope I have to bury my wife, rather than vice versa, but that's only because I know one of us is going to be hurt unless we die together, and I'd rather it be me that is hurt when she dies than her getting hurt because I die - of course, I'd sacrifice myself for her without a moment's hesitation). I would be devastated... they haven't had a chance to live a full life yet.

As a father of three, thoughts and prayers to Lamar. I very nearly lost my oldest son twice (once at a week or so old, and again at age 4 - last year), and so while I haven't actually lost a child, I've been close and had to start dealing with those emotions while sitting next to him in a hospital bed.

Lamar and family - may you find peace and solace in this time of grief.
Now THAT was a great post. a GREAT post. I'll probably remember that for the rest of my life.
geeWiz15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2006, 03:18 PM   #71
eauclaire447
High School JV MVP

eauclaire447 has an OK reputation so far

Poor guy....he gets all the bad breaks.
1) played for the clips (when they were bad)
2) traded away from the heat who then won the title
3) has to play every night with kobe bryant
4) lost his son
not trying to be funny or insensitive, and not trying to say that playing with kobe is as bad as losing a son...i know they are on different levels.
eauclaire447 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2006, 03:20 PM   #72
HALLandOATES
Local High School Star

HALLandOATES has decent reputation

Quote:
Now THAT was a great post. a GREAT post. I'll probably remember that for the rest of my life.

Do you not have a father?Do you think you're better then everyone else?

Last edited by HALLandOATES : 06-30-2006 at 03:27 PM.
HALLandOATES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2006, 03:22 PM   #73
2LeTTeRS KD
Both teams played hard

2LeTTeRS KD has decent reputation

Geewiz comes in at just the right time to compete with Shogon for biggest ******* award. Ever think that your drywit is not appropriate? A kid died, even if you haven't grown to appreciate life some of us do. I never have had to go through a death of a child but I have experienced firsthand the afteraffects of a miscarriage, and even losing that unborn baby was devastating. If you dont care, fine don't post in the thread, your thoughts were so cold and ignorant that they dont belong here.
2LeTTeRS KD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2006, 03:26 PM   #74
crisoner
10 plus years on ISH

crisoner is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablecrisoner is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablecrisoner is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablecrisoner is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablecrisoner is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablecrisoner is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablecrisoner is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablecrisoner is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablecrisoner is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablecrisoner is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablecrisoner is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Rip

RIP

Sad man...
there not a worst thing that can happen in a persons life.
crisoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2006, 03:28 PM   #75
eauclaire447
High School JV MVP

eauclaire447 has an OK reputation so far

who was that directed towards???
maybe i shouldnt have mixed humor with tragedy, i apologize.
eauclaire447 is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: