Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 03-18-2007, 10:35 AM   #1
The_Masterplan
Banned

The_Masterplan has an OK reputation so far
Default The Electoral College needs be terminated or be fixed...

The Electoral College is not representative of a true democracy and in today's world I think there is enough technology where campaigning to the whole country isnt a big of a problem.

The Electoral College discourages voters. Think about it. In states like Texas and California, one party is highly dominant and supporters of Kerry in Texas and supporters of Bush and California probably didnt feel the need to vote considering one party was highly favorable than the other. IF the electoral college was terminated then i think those voters would realize their vote actually counts.

One way to fix the electoral College though is just do proportional vote which in my opinion may be better than getting rid of it all together. I dont care if the proportion becomes a decimal point; it should still count. Round it to the nearest tenth. But one problem with this is for the write-in votes, ralph nader votes, etc.

What do you guys think?

Last edited by The_Masterplan : 03-18-2007 at 11:50 AM.
The_Masterplan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2007, 10:55 AM   #2
bigboi_baller
NBA rookie of the year

bigboi_baller is popular on this boardbigboi_baller is popular on this boardbigboi_baller is popular on this boardbigboi_baller is popular on this board
Default Re: The Electoral College needs be terminated or be fixed...

Good point. I never got the logic behind the electoral college.
bigboi_baller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2007, 11:01 AM   #3
VCDrivesAPorscheToWork
Very good NBA starter

VCDrivesAPorscheToWork is considered somewhat coolVCDrivesAPorscheToWork is considered somewhat coolVCDrivesAPorscheToWork is considered somewhat cool

wrong.

Electoral college balances out the popular vote. It goes back to the days of the New Jersey and Virginia acts. you would agree the beginning days of the United States represents true democracy right?

do you want a state like.. say.. Wyoming.. full of Republicans no doubt, to have the same weight in their votes say as California? California has many more people living there than in Wyoming. in fact, the Electoral would give the Democrats more Electoral votes than Wyoming would give the Republicans.

it's a fair system designed to give out parity making up for the size and population of the states.

I mean if you are referring to George W's infamous vote recount:

just remember this: Had Al Gore made it into office, the REPUBLICANS would be criticizing this system, and I would be here justifying equity and fairness for all sides to the Republicans.

remember, something is not a problem becaues it happens once. it becomes a problem once it becomes a trend and statistics show it always happens on a consistent basis.
VCDrivesAPorscheToWork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2007, 11:08 AM   #4
The_Masterplan
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by VCDrivesAPorscheToWork
wrong.

Electoral college balances out the popular vote. It goes back to the days of the New Jersey and Virginia acts. you would agree the beginning days of the United States represents true democracy right?

do you want a state like.. say.. Wyoming.. full of Republicans no doubt, to have the same weight in their votes say as California? California has many more people living there than in Wyoming. in fact, the Electoral would give the Democrats more Electoral votes than Wyoming would give the Republicans.

it's a fair system designed to give out parity making up for the size and population of the states.

just remember this: Had Al Gore made it into office, the REPUBLICANS would be criticizing this system, and I would be here justifying equity and fairness for all sides to the Republicans.

remember, something is not a problem becaues it happens once. it becomes a problem once it becomes a trend and statistics show it always happens on a consistent basis.

ya, i know what you are saying but terminating the electoral college can bring out more voters. Thats the main reason why I dont support the electoral college.

I think the electoral college brings out more corruption and "behind the door" deals so getting rid of the electoral college would then get rid of the corruption.
Old 03-18-2007, 11:43 AM   #5
VCDrivesAPorscheToWork
Very good NBA starter

VCDrivesAPorscheToWork is considered somewhat coolVCDrivesAPorscheToWork is considered somewhat coolVCDrivesAPorscheToWork is considered somewhat cool

possibly, but with such a large population and the sheer bureaucracy, I think doing so will solve some problems, but create other problems. namely simply buying people's votes since each popular vote becomes ever so important.

either that, or catering only to the areas which wilil give the most voters and completely neglecting others.

the problem right now is that culture and politics, for whatever reason, has seemingly split this country in half. or maybe 52/48, since Bush is in office. the only way anything can be done is to have one strong President, regardless of politics, unite as many Americans as possible under one banner.
Old 03-18-2007, 11:49 AM   #6
geeWiz15
Quality Posts™

geeWiz15 has a near all-star reputation heregeeWiz15 has a near all-star reputation heregeeWiz15 has a near all-star reputation heregeeWiz15 has a near all-star reputation heregeeWiz15 has a near all-star reputation heregeeWiz15 has a near all-star reputation here

hawker you're right. the electoral college system has so many gaping problems I'm not going to try and address them all but the main one is... for 80% of states, minority party voters are completely 100% discounted. you know how political strategists basically already know where almost all the states are going (ie Bush is going to win I dunno Missouri, Kerry is going to win Massachusetts)? well why should republicans in Massachusetts bother voting then? their vote is completely irrelevant because it's a liberal enclave, so they stay home. people wonder why nobody votes in America... why should they? everyone on TV is saying for 80% of states, they know which way it's going. so why participate? if it was a popular vote and every vote actually counted our political participation rate would be much higher. the system is dumb.

Quote:
wrong.

your argument has no content. or is it just me?
geeWiz15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2007, 11:51 AM   #7
The_Masterplan
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by geeWiz15
hawker you're right. the electoral college system has so many gaping problems I'm not going to try and address them all but the main one is... for 80% of states, minority party voters are completely 100% discounted. you know how political strategists basically already know where almost all the states are going (ie Bush is going to win I dunno Missouri, Kerry is going to win Massachusetts)? well why should republicans in Massachusetts bother voting then? their vote is completely irrelevant because it's a liberal enclave, so they stay home. people wonder why nobody votes in America... why should they? everyone on TV is saying for 80% of states, they know which way it's going. so why participate? if it was a popular vote and every vote actually counted our political participation rate would be much higher. the system is dumb.

you are spot on with what I was saying. Political participation is what I am going for.
Old 03-18-2007, 11:52 AM   #8
VCDrivesAPorscheToWork
Very good NBA starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by geeWiz15

your brain has no content. and it's not me.
Old 03-18-2007, 11:57 AM   #9
VCDrivesAPorscheToWork
Very good NBA starter

on a side nonpolitical note, it's good to have you back Geewiz. you were gone for a while.
Old 03-18-2007, 02:38 PM   #10
Zombles
Local High School Star

Zombles has decent reputation

I agree entirely, there is no legitimate reason to not have a straight popular vote. One man, one vote, they all carry the same weight. Simple as that.

The Electoral College is an anachronistic relic from a time we were more a collection of States than a Unified Nation.
Zombles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2007, 03:03 PM   #11
joe lucky
Decent playground baller

joe lucky has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombles
I agree entirely, there is no legitimate reason to not have a straight popular vote. One man, one vote, they all carry the same weight. Simple as that.

The Electoral College is an anachronistic relic from a time we were more a collection of States than a Unified Nation.

Its more of a balance problem. Many of the Federalist drafters of the Constitution played on the fears of many of the participants in the CC's in tempering "pure" democratic ideals with pragmatic institutions such as the electoral college. As for its continued practice to this point, a lot can be said about tradition and maintaining order. The sheer magnitude of instituting a purely popular vote would be astronomical requiring a significant expenditure of government funds.
joe lucky is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: