Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > New York Knicks Forum

New York Knicks Forum New York Knicks forum - NY Knicks message board

Old 03-18-2007, 02:57 PM   #1
HaNdLe ThE RoCk
NBA All-star

HaNdLe ThE RoCk has decent reputationHaNdLe ThE RoCk has decent reputation
Default Let's Grade The Trades

Let's Grade The Following Trades, You Tell Whether The Trade Was Good Or Bad, Or Horrible.

Trevor Ariza and Penny Hardaway For Steve Francis

Good Or Bad?

Kurt Thomas and Dijon Thompson For Nate Robinson and Quentin Richardson

Good Or Bad?

Tim Thomas, Michael Sweetney, Tyrus Thomas and 1st Round Pick For Eddy Curry and Antonio Davis

Good Or Bad?

Antonio Davis For Jalen Rose and 1st Round Pick

Good Or Bad?
HaNdLe ThE RoCk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2007, 03:01 PM   #2
HaNdLe ThE RoCk
NBA All-star

Default Re: Let's Grade The Trades

Good Or Bad?

The way Francis is playing this trade is looking better and better. Renaldo Balkman is better then Arizo IMO and i couldn't see Ariza getting any run. Francis is stepping up

Good Or Bad?

Dijon Ended up Getting Cut and Sent Down To The D-League, Nate Brings us Energy and is a lot better. Quentin Richardson battered by injuries is still more Valueable then Kurt. Q-Rich Has games where he scores 20-30.

Tim Thomas, Michael Sweetney, Tyrus Thomas and 1st Round Pick For Eddy Curry and Antonio Davis

Good Or Bad?

Tim Thomas was Cut By The Bulls, Sweentey is nothing but fat trash now i believe he gained 40 pounds and Tyrus Thomas is only averaging nearly 2 points a game. If we make the playoffs and continue playing good the bulls 1st round pick will end up being low.

Good Or Bad?

We Ended up Drafting Renaldo Balkman and getting rid of Antonio Davis, Even though Jalen Rose ended up buying out he gave us some good minutes at times.
Old 03-18-2007, 03:26 PM   #3
Don Che
I hit open 5-footers

Don Che has an OK reputation so far

Francis trade is bad.
We could of released Ariza and let the Penny money help the cap.

Eddy Curry trade is good but we shouldnt of gave them 2 first round picks.

We did get a franchise center but not a great one.
Eddy is more talented then all of them but this years draft is deep and should of kept that one.

Bulls did the trade cuz he had to go. And we helped them salary wise.

The Jalen Rose is good.

We got a pick only good thing about it and Davis sucked.
Don Che is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2007, 03:36 PM   #4
jlawdrummer
Serious playground baller

jlawdrummer has an OK reputation so far

Good Or Bad?

Penny no longer has any value as an NBA player...so Francis for Ariza. Francis is playing better of late, and though I don't really like him, I think he's contributing a little more than Ariza, especially since we do have Balkman now.

Good Or Bad?

Dijon doesn't seem to have any value as an NBA player right now, so Kurt for Nate and QRich, on our current team, we need guys like QRich especially. Kurt would've been taking minutes from Lee and Frye and Balkman, or he himself would've been losing minutes to those younger guys. He has battled injuries also as well as QRich, so I like the trade overall.

Tim Thomas, Michael Sweetney, Tyrus Thomas and 1st Round Pick For Eddy Curry, Antonio Davis, and 1st Round Pick

Good Or Bad?

you didn't put this in, but we swap picks with the Bulls, so we didn't just give away this years pick, we just upgraded their pick...and the better we play, the better this trade becomes for us. so basically this trade is...Tyrus and whoever they pick with our pick vs. Curry and who we pick with their pick. With Isiah being a great drafter...and Curry having much more value than Tyrus, should be a definite win. Can't know for sure til a couple of years when Tyrus develops and the draft picks pan out.

Good Or Bad?

well...Jalen doesn't really play for the Suns anymore, and Davis is out of the league...so Balkman or Nothing, I'll take Balkman in a big way. He's great.
jlawdrummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2007, 05:25 PM   #5
shafir
I>You. Get over it.

shafir is a pretty well-respected postershafir is a pretty well-respected postershafir is a pretty well-respected poster

F Worst trade Isiah has made. We traded off Penny Hardaway's expiring contract as well as Trevor Ariza, who has shown his potential this year on Orlando. Sure, Francis is playing well now that he gets playing time, but he is still the most turn over prone player we have, and i'd rather we not have him.

B+ Great trade. Sure, it traded off our best defender, and big man at the moment, but had we not made this trade, Kurt Thomas wouldn't have any playing time on this roster. Lets not kid ourselves, Malik Rose is almost as good as Kurt Thomas, and we all know how many minutes he gets. Quentin Richardson is one of our best defensive players, as well as a rebounder. He plays with great leadership, and energy. Nate Robinson isn't exactly the most orthodox guard, but he's playing well as of late. He did play a major role in the brawl earlier this year, but didn't that brawl spark a come back for the Knicks? Also, right now, we need him because we have an immense shortage of guards due to injuries. I love this trade.
A Great trade. We got rid of big mouth Tim Thomas, terrible Mike Sweetney, "I'm going to go there and pick up my paycheck" Tyrus Thomas, and whoever Chicago picks up in the mid round pick they get this year, for Eddy Curry and Antonio Davis. Eddy Curry is the reason we have a shot at the playoffs this year, and we got rid of a bunch of crap from our team. This may actually be Isiah's best trade.

B Great trade. We delayed dumping 16 million off of our payroll for Renaldo Balkman, and that has obviously paid off. Renaldo Balkman just had a great game today, shooting a perfect 7-7. Sure, we bought out Jalen Rose, but he was only going to be a negative influence on the team anyway.
shafir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2007, 05:56 PM   #6
ALBballer
Religion? LOL? WTF?

ALBballer has an incredible reputation hereALBballer has an incredible reputation hereALBballer has an incredible reputation hereALBballer has an incredible reputation hereALBballer has an incredible reputation hereALBballer has an incredible reputation hereALBballer has an incredible reputation hereALBballer has an incredible reputation here

Quote:

Not a good deal for us. We already had Crawford, Marbury and Nate and now we add Francis. Can you say redundant?

Besides, I would of rather kept Ariza and then we wouldn't had to sign "pedestrian" Jeffries.

Quote:

We won this one, but not by much. Both have injury problems, but when Q-Rich is healthy he provides rebounding and an outside shot, something we value when he's playing. If Thomas was still here, he would only take more time from Frye and Lee, and I think Kurt didn't want to stay with us any longer.

So we basically got rid of a player that could of been a problem in the locker room and picked up an energizing point guard and a great complimentary guard/forward for our team.

Quote:

Eh this is kinda even. I really don't care much for Tyrus Thomas, but with that pick and with our expiring contracts we probably could of gotten more in a trade. Regardless of trading the pick, we could of drafted Aldridge who would of been more of the protypical center that we could use (shotblocking, rebounding, defense)

I guess we won because curry is a dominant force on the offensive side and opens the floor for the other players, but I wonder if Curry will ever be a decent shotblocker or if his defense will improve. I think if we don't find the perfect complimentary piece for Curry (cough J O'Neal cough) we won't ever be more then an above-average team.

Quote:

Who cares? Dolan basically played 15 million plus for Renaldo Balkman or was it Mardy collins, eh whoever it was, it isn't my money. :

Last edited by ALBballer : 03-18-2007 at 06:00 PM.
ALBballer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2007, 07:02 PM   #7
knicks15
Local High School Star

knicks15 has decent reputation

Good Or Bad?

DOnt know how anyone can call this a good trade. francis may have the most unwanted contract in the nba.

Good Or Bad?

kurt was good but getting up there. q is a talented young well rounded player, but of course has back problems and nate has potential.

Good Or Bad?

tim thomas got cut, sweetney hasnt done anything, so basically it was the draft picks they gave up. and you have to include the bulls pick in the trade also cuz theyre switching picks this year, not just getting the knicks. this trade looks ok so far but basically depends on tyrus n whoever they draft this year does. the bulls actually got the knicks pick which was the 2nd overall, drafted aldridge and traded him for thomas. so the trade breakdown looks something like this:

tim thomas, sweetney, 2nd overall pick 06, around 13th pick 07 for
curry, a davis, ~20th pick 07

considering the fact that no1 could have planned for the knicks getting the 2nd pick in the draft i say it was a good deal, but being that it was, its not yet determined in my view. but if curry plays the way he was playing before and learns to rebound and defend it would be hard to argue it either way.

Good Or Bad?

jalen had a big contract that had to be bought out, so that isnt good. think the pick was for balkman which is good, but still probably a bad deal

Last edited by knicks15 : 03-18-2007 at 07:04 PM.
knicks15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2007, 07:47 PM   #8
jt24
I brick open layups

jt24 has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaNdLe ThE RoCk
Let's Grade The Following Trades, You Tell Whether The Trade Was Good Or Bad, Or Horrible.

Good Or Bad?

Good Or Bad?

Good Or Bad?

Good Or Bad?

francis trade- bad they traded away a good young player and took on an absurd contract and a headache

kurt thomas trade- bad they traded away a good inside defender and the only one on the knicks who had heart

curry deal- too early to say, it all depends on how good tyrus thomas becomes and who the bulls draft this year , and if curry every can become a force on defense or a rebounder

jalen rose deal- bad, made no sense and they had to eat alot of money
jt24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2007, 08:35 PM   #9
HaNdLe ThE RoCk
NBA All-star

without the jalen rose deal we wouldn't of had balkman, i don't see that being bad at all.

Kurt Thomas deal was good, Q Rich and Nate for Thomas basically. I like it

Francis trade i can see being bad, people here like ariza but i'm liking what i see from francis
Old 03-18-2007, 08:40 PM   #10
knicks15
Local High School Star

knicks15 has decent reputation

Quote:

Francis trade i can see being bad, people here like ariza but i'm liking what i see from francis

do u like him and his knees enough to sign him for 16mill per for the next 3 years?
knicks15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2007, 09:00 PM   #11
HaNdLe ThE RoCk
NBA All-star

Quote:
Originally Posted by knicks15
do u like him and his knees enough to sign him for 16mill per for the next 3 years?

I Hate His Knees.

As a player, he's averging 20ppg the last 6 games.
Old 03-19-2007, 12:48 PM   #12
Blue&Orange
NBA lottery pick

Blue&Orange is popular on this boardBlue&Orange is popular on this boardBlue&Orange is popular on this boardBlue&Orange is popular on this board

Yes, things are looking a little better now that we don't have a coach that do just everything he can to loose and make the players look bad...
Blue&Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007, 02:43 PM   #13
HaNdLe ThE RoCk
NBA All-star

Where would Ariza have played? SF we already have Q Rich, Balkman and Jeffries.
Old 03-19-2007, 02:58 PM   #14
skillswithaz
I bust ghosts

skillswithaz has an OK reputation so far

Quote:

Good Or Bad?

Good Or Bad?

Good Or Bad?

Good Or Bad?

This trade was a bad gamble. We traded away a young talent (that we could have traded when we got Balkman) and a huge expiring contract in exchange for a player that's only started to do good over the last 6 games in the last 2 years. So Bad.

As much as I liked Kurt Thomas, Quentin Richardson may be playing fine again after the off-season and Nate's had his good moments. Plus we get to start Eddy Curry and sometimes Channing Frye. Thomas was old and injury prone so I'm calling this one Good.

Tim Thomas was a waste of oxygen (Keith Van Horn was much better), Sweetney didn't play good until he got to Chicago, I'd rather have Renaldo play than Tyrus Thomas, and we got Eddy Curry. Also we traded picks at this point so we're not too far behind Chicago in the draft as it is. Thus it was Good

Well we got rid of Antonio Davis in a trade for Renaldo Balkman pretty much. I was dissapointed that we bought out Jalen Rose (we could of used him as an expiring contract in a trade), but whatever. It was Good
skillswithaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007, 03:55 PM   #15
VCDrivesAPorscheToWork
Very good NBA starter

VCDrivesAPorscheToWork is considered somewhat coolVCDrivesAPorscheToWork is considered somewhat coolVCDrivesAPorscheToWork is considered somewhat cool

Good Or Bad?

young hard working swingman who was working on the outside shot and played hard nosed D. Larry Brown even admitted to screwing the Knicks over with this one. plus the salary issue.

Good Or Bad?

yes Thomas was a good interior defender and played the pick and roll well, but he was getting up there in age with creaky knees. at least you guys got a shooter and a newspaper seller.

Good Or Bad?

criticized the deal at first but now that the Knicks won't be yielding Oden over to the Bulls, it is getting better

Good Or Bad?

the First Round Pick is all I see. though Isiah did give up quite a lot of money to get that pick. after all, I pay for Cablevision so a few cents from my cable bill went to JAlen Rose.
VCDrivesAPorscheToWork is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: