Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 03-19-2007, 10:11 AM   #1
VCDrivesAPorscheToWork
Very good NBA starter

VCDrivesAPorscheToWork is considered somewhat coolVCDrivesAPorscheToWork is considered somewhat coolVCDrivesAPorscheToWork is considered somewhat cool
Default Man up or wuss out?

I'm fairly confident this is a no-brainer, but the reason I ask is because I see the wrong choice being made far too often:

this happened to one of my friends and I felt utterly disgusted at him.

so essentially, he is fat, shy and overbearing. he hooked up with a girl who is in shape, not exactly hot stuff, but better than he deserves. he's good to her, but he's pretty much a coward.

some other guy hits on his girl, telling her to leave the fat bastard for a real man. something along those lines.

so this friend of mine asks me for advice. I told him to stand up for his woman and not be such a coward. I told him to stand up for his honor.

instead, he gets mad at his girl.

she even said no to the other dude... but my fat, spineless friend told me she should not have even been in that situation in the first place.

So I tell him he made a wrong choice and that he should stand up for his woman rather than blame her for something she had no control over.

then he told me he did not think it was a wise course of action to start trouble with someone over a woman.

i called him a spineless coward with no honor.

then he said it was not worth getting suspended over.

then I said "you could have just mouthed him off you know?"

he considers it and says: " no that's not my style."

so a few months later, she dumps him for that other guy, and now this "friend" of mine, whom I can no longer see as a friend since he has revealed himself to be a coward, a crybaby, and a drama queen, is moping day and night about his loss in a "woe is me" fashion.

lesson to take in:

Always stand up for your woman. Be a man about it.
VCDrivesAPorscheToWork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007, 10:28 AM   #2
Rasheed1
3-time NBA All-Star

Rasheed1 has an incredible reputation hereRasheed1 has an incredible reputation hereRasheed1 has an incredible reputation hereRasheed1 has an incredible reputation hereRasheed1 has an incredible reputation hereRasheed1 has an incredible reputation hereRasheed1 has an incredible reputation here
Default Re: Man up or wuss out?

Quote:
So I tell him he made a wrong choice and that he should stand up for his woman rather than blame her for something she had no control over.

then he told me he did not think it was a wise course of action to start trouble with someone over a woman.

i called him a spineless coward with no honor.

then he said it was not worth getting suspended over.

then I said "you could have just mouthed him off you know?"

he considers it and says: " no that's not my style."

so a few months later, she dumps him for that other guy, and now this "friend" of mine, whom I can no longer see as a friend since he has revealed himself to be a coward, a crybaby, and a drama queen, is moping day and night about his loss in a "woe is me" fashion.

lesson to take in:

I cringe reading that story...

I agree your friend should have said something to the guy when he originally tried to talk to his G.

You cant have half the neighborhood thinking they could get at your girl and you wont say anything about it... thats just absurd...

A woman likes to know her man cares enough to at least speak up when someone tries to take her away I mean damn..

But I disagree when you say
Quote:

Some women dont deserve it... If the girl is a smut, dont bother fighting a bunch of guys over her.. gotta let a hoe do her thing.... let her fly, let the bird fly away... cant change a hoe into a housewife and she aint worth the endless conflict she brings with her...
Rasheed1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007, 11:15 AM   #3
B-Low
The Love B-Low

B-Low is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableB-Low is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableB-Low is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableB-Low is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableB-Low is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableB-Low is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableB-Low is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableB-Low is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableB-Low is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableB-Low is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableB-Low is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

A few things about this.

1. why the hell was he mad at the girl!? She said no to the other guy, and literally did nothing wrong. What does he mean she shouldn't have been in the situation in the first place? Like she can help that someone approached him?

2. I agree it wasn't worth getting suspended over, but he still should have said something. In a sitation like that i think its best to just walk up behind your girl, hug her from behind and look at the guy...let him know that she's with you and not goin anywhere

3. I agree, you ALWAYS stand up for your woman. No matter what.
B-Low is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007, 11:35 AM   #4
Shredder
Banned

Shredder has an OK reputation so far

Im sure he could have talked to the guy civil w/o it escalating to a fight. You also dont have to be the strongest guy or Mr. Macho, but a women likes to know that her boyfriend will stick up for her.
Shredder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007, 11:46 AM   #5
Sean77
High School JV MVP

Sean77 has an OK reputation so far

Yeah, he should've manned up and at least had a talk with dude. I don't believe in getting violent unless it's to protect myself or someone else, anybody who knows martial arts will tell violence should be treated as the alst option and not the first. But you should always stand up for yourself and your lady, if she's that important to you.

Having said that, when you're a shyguy like I am, actions of an assertive or aggressive nature don't seem right even if it is the right thing to do. That's when you need someone or something to let you know it is not only okay to speak up when needed, it is also the mark of being an adult and a man. Guys like him need to take some self-defense or boxing lessons ar something, instill some confidence. Then he will be able to handle situations with the minimum amount of violence. But if dude wants to flex, you gotta defend yourself.

Me personally, yell and cuss at me all you want, you're the one with the problem not me. But you try to flex on my wife or my moms or female family member of mine, you just made your problem my problem.
Sean77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007, 11:49 AM   #6
Pro Child
Can barely lace up my sneakers

Pro Child has an OK reputation so far

i would have punched your friend if i were you. he is fat!
Pro Child is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007, 11:56 AM   #7
Rasheed1
3-time NBA All-Star

Rasheed1 has an incredible reputation hereRasheed1 has an incredible reputation hereRasheed1 has an incredible reputation hereRasheed1 has an incredible reputation hereRasheed1 has an incredible reputation hereRasheed1 has an incredible reputation hereRasheed1 has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
I agree, you ALWAYS stand up for your woman. No matter what

Do you stand up for your chick if she is a serious flirt, to the point where she attracts alot of male attention due to her flirtatious ways?

Do you stand up for your chick when she is playing you and seeing other guys behind your back? Who is the fool when you get into a fight over a girl that dont even really like you and is just stringing you along?

you cant always play "captain save a hoe". Sometimes you gotta just realize that the female is the source of the trouble and more trouble will occur as long as you refuse cut the problem off at the root

As far as this story goes, the female is not the problem and she should have been defended
Rasheed1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007, 12:14 PM   #8
Sean77
High School JV MVP

Sean77 has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rasheed1
Do you stand up for your chick if she is a serious flirt, to the point where she attracts alot of male attention due to her flirtatious ways?

Do you stand up for your chick when she is playing you and seeing other guys behind your back? Who is the fool when you get into a fight over a girl that dont even really like you and is just stringing you along?

you cant always play "captain save a hoe". Sometimes you gotta just realize that the female is the source of the trouble and more trouble will occur as long as you refuse cut the problem off at the root

As far as this story goes, the female is not the problem and she should have been defended

I feel what you're saying, shouldn't even be with a girl that acts like she doesn't know better when it comes to flirting with other guys. You're just asking for problems.

"I gotta fight every night to prove my love!!" - Angry Boyfriend from the movie "The Five Heartbeats"
Sean77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007, 12:40 PM   #9
VCDrivesAPorscheToWork
Very good NBA starter

VCDrivesAPorscheToWork is considered somewhat coolVCDrivesAPorscheToWork is considered somewhat coolVCDrivesAPorscheToWork is considered somewhat cool

Rasheed1, I agree with how a man should not play "Captain Save a Hoe"

but I was just going on the premise that

1) your woman is faithful to you
2) your woman can't help having other guys notice her
3) the man is not attractive and insecure.
Old 03-19-2007, 01:19 PM   #10
glidedrxlr22
Dont H8 the Laker H8er

glidedrxlr22 has an incredible reputation hereglidedrxlr22 has an incredible reputation hereglidedrxlr22 has an incredible reputation hereglidedrxlr22 has an incredible reputation hereglidedrxlr22 has an incredible reputation hereglidedrxlr22 has an incredible reputation hereglidedrxlr22 has an incredible reputation hereglidedrxlr22 has an incredible reputation here

Maybe your friend didn't want to get into a physical confrontation. In that case he should've said, "I may be a fat SOB, but I'm taking the girl home. Booyah!" I think that would've made it easy on him and his girl would see that he at least said something.

Maybe he got mad at her for being in a position where she would attract attention and in a way return some of it back by being friendly. Girls often times mistake guys' intentions as just being friendly. So they are friendly in return. The other guy then further explores this and steals the girl. Many times your girl can be trusted, but it's the other guys you can't trust.
glidedrxlr22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007, 01:38 PM   #11
VCDrivesAPorscheToWork
Very good NBA starter

... im no longer this dude's friend as of an hour ago.

he just told me I could have done more to prevent it from happening and then he cracked a fat joke about how worthless fat people are.

Old 03-19-2007, 02:06 PM   #12
Cannonball
Lets GO PENS!

Cannonball has a near all-star reputation hereCannonball has a near all-star reputation hereCannonball has a near all-star reputation hereCannonball has a near all-star reputation hereCannonball has a near all-star reputation hereCannonball has a near all-star reputation here

lol wtf. is this thread.
Cannonball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007, 02:11 PM   #13
VCDrivesAPorscheToWork
Very good NBA starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cannonball
lol wtf. is this thread.

random observation and WTF moment of my life. it belongs in off the court.
Old 03-19-2007, 02:42 PM   #14
BradMiller52
Kings fan

BradMiller52 has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by VCDrivesAPorscheToWork
... im no longer this dude's friend as of an hour ago.

he just told me I could have done more to prevent it from happening and then he cracked a fat joke about how worthless fat people are.

Are you ****ing kidding me? WTF could you have done? He acted like a fat emo guy who has no courage/balls and he is blaming you? And then he made a joke about himself? Guy sounds like a clown.
BradMiller52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007, 02:46 PM   #15
VCDrivesAPorscheToWork
Very good NBA starter

the precise wording was he brought up a Family Guy Joke.

in the pilot episode of Family Guy, they cut to a scene in which a fat reporter asks President Clinton:

"Sir, why do you think the public has continued to support your throughout these impeachment proceedings?"

"maybe because you're so fat! ahahahaha"

worst part about it, he did it in a Nutritional Science course (i need some easy credits...)
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: