Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > New York Knicks Forum

New York Knicks Forum New York Knicks forum - NY Knicks message board

Old 03-19-2007, 03:46 PM   #1
HaNdLe ThE RoCk
NBA All-star

Default Game Thread: Mavs at Knicks

Mavs at Knicks, As We Know the mavs have the best record in the nba, it's going to take a miricle to pull this one off, dallas is flat out nasty.

We can beat anyone with our roster we just have to come out to play like we did vs Detroit last year when they were hot on st. patricks day.

Let's Hope For The Best, Go Knicks.

Knicks Starting 5

E. Curry
C. Frye
J. Jeffries
S. Francis
S. Marbury

Mavs Starting 5

E. Dampier
D. Nowitzki
J. Howard
D. Harris/J. Stackhouse
J. Terry

The Key Matchup is who gaurds dirk? I'll put Jeffries on him and then balkman on Josh Howard, It's going to be tough to play Frye unless we move to 2-3. Frye can't gaurd Dirk nor Josh Howard. Balkman and Jeffries are the answers.
HaNdLe ThE RoCk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007, 04:26 PM   #2
Amigo
Knicks Fan 4 Life

Default Re: Game Thread: Mavs at Knicks

The key is if Q returns. He's good at stopping players that score alot a bit. Frye on Griffin wouldn't hurt.

GO KNICKS!!!
Amigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007, 04:52 PM   #3
VCDrivesAPorscheToWork
Very good NBA starter

not to burst your bubble but Dallas is a juggernaut they destroy all Eastern teams outside of Miami.

if Knicks can keep it close, that should be a victory in itself.
VCDrivesAPorscheToWork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007, 05:07 PM   #4
Amigo
Knicks Fan 4 Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by VCDrivesAPorscheToWork
not to burst your bubble but Dallas is a juggernaut they destroy all Eastern teams outside of Miami.

if Knicks can keep it close, that should be a victory in itself.

We're playing for the win. Screw the close score being a win. Any team can surprise the other. Then again if we beat the Mavs it won't be a surprise for me.
Old 03-19-2007, 05:14 PM   #5
bigdaddybluesman
Local High School Star

Knicks are going to win because the Mavs are taking them lightly.

If they focus and do not turnover the ball we can win.

Go low to Curry, when they double up let Frye hit the short jumper.

It's all about spacing of players on the court and passing.

If that starts working then in the second half when they make adjustments it's time for Marbury to start driving to the basket and shooting open jumpers.

Transition baskets will be important and I would start Balkman over Jefferies for his inside play.

I don't think any team can defend the Mavs so we have to out muscle them, out hustle them and out run them. Second shots will be the key that means offensive rebounds.

I think we are ready for an upset. If we see Francis try to take over the game we will lose, bank on that. If he plays his role and takes just open shots or transition points and stops dribbling we will be OK.
bigdaddybluesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007, 05:31 PM   #6
HaNdLe ThE RoCk
NBA All-star

I think the only way we win this game is if we catch the mavs on a bad shooting night and we shoot lightsout. Dirk hit his first 3 in awhile last night. We must play big on the boards also.

Without Lee, Frye and Curry must step up on the boards and that includes jeffries an balkman also. Marbury is going to have to take over down the stretch if it's close.

Francis needs to stop turning the ball over so much, Frye needs to knock down his shots and the Key to this game is giving Renaldo Balkman minutes and Eddy Curry.

It's going to be hard of course the mavs only lost 10-11 games. I think we can upset them, let's go nyk.
Old 03-19-2007, 06:01 PM   #7
shafir
I>You. Get over it.

The Knicks have the potential and talent to beat the Mavericks, and we have many advantages coming into this game:
  • Eddy Curry is getting an extended rest as he played very few minutes last game
  • The Mavericks are probably overlooking us because we are considered a bad team
  • Frye has been playing well as of late, the Mavs have no defensive answer for him or Curry
  • I think Isiah Thomas is going to increase Balkman's minutes because of his last performance, thus helping ease the pain of Lee's injury
  • Stephon Marbury has turned it on!
shafir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007, 06:09 PM   #8
ALBballer
Religion? LOL? WTF?

I actually think that Dampier is probably one of the few centers in the league that could give Curry problems. So Eddy will be key in this game, because if he can get him in foul trouble they will probably put in Diop or they might have to use Nowitzki on him.

I also think we should see how Balkman does against Nowitzki. Smaller defender (6'7" or so) have had sucess against Nowitzki in the past, and he will try to shoot over him, and hopefully he has bad shooting night.

My keys to winning the game:
-Eddy Curry needs to have a great game.
-Hope Nowitzki has a bad shooting night
-Our PG's can't allow the Mavs open shot, because Terry and Howard will kill us.
-Exploit Terry's defense.
ALBballer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007, 07:34 PM   #9
Mavs4ever
Can barely lace up my sneakers

I say Mavs win by 17 pts. : NY needs to limit TO's if they want to win.
Mavs4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007, 09:05 PM   #10
skillswithaz
I bust ghosts

We need good defense and a good shot selection...
the Mavs are undefeated when they shoot a better fg% than the opposing team
skillswithaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007, 09:25 PM   #11
knickscity
Knicks Board Moderator

I really don't think Dallas takes anyone lightly.

Our keys to victory......

1) Have an athletic starting 5.

C Curry
PF Frye
SF Balkman
SG Marbury
PG Francis

Zeke needs to be meeting with these guys the whole day until the game drilling in what he expects his starting 5 to do.

SET THE TONE!!!!!! SET THE TONE!!!! In the first quarter there should be no one shooting 20 footers. That includes you, Frye. Attacking the rim is the only way you can beat have a chance to beat Dallas. Even then many have failed. If we settle for jumpers we will lose like Philly did the other night.

2) Let Dirk shoot. I'm not saying don't guard him, but don't be all up on him otherwise he draw you in with his patented move, fall away, hit the shot and get the foul. (Remember Jordan back in the day?) Let's D-up the others a little tighter. If Howard or Terry or both hit 20, were toast.

The two guys who will decide things for their respective teams will be Stackhouse and Balkman. Whomever plays the most AND has the more efficient game will be the catalyst for their team.

Zeke has made the quotes.... Now let Balkman play!!!!!

As for a prediction....If we keep our to's down to 12 and rack up 25 assists I like our chances against anyone, including Dallas.
It's a tall order.....Can they handle it? We will know around 24 hours from now....and counting. 23hrs,59mins,59sec..........
knickscity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007, 09:28 PM   #12
Amigo
Knicks Fan 4 Life

Thumbs up Re: Game Thread: Mavs at Knicks

Quote:
Originally Posted by knickscity
I really don't think Dallas takes anyone lightly.

Our keys to victory......

1) Have an athletic starting 5.

C Curry
PF Frye
SF Balkman
SG Marbury
PG Francis

Zeke needs to be meeting with these guys the whole day until the game drilling in what he expects his starting 5 to do.

SET THE TONE!!!!!! SET THE TONE!!!! In the first quarter there should be no one shooting 20 footers. That includes you, Frye. Attacking the rim is the only way you can beat have a chance to beat Dallas. Even then many have failed. If we settle for jumpers we will lose like Philly did the other night.

2) Let Dirk shoot. I'm not saying don't guard him, but don't be all up on him otherwise he draw you in with his patented move, fall away, hit the shot and get the foul. (Remember Jordan back in the day?) Let's D-up the others a little tighter. If Howard or Terry or both hit 20, were toast.

The two guys who will decide things for their respective teams will be Stackhouse and Balkman. Whomever plays the most AND has the more efficient game will be the catalyst for their team.

Zeke has made the quotes.... Now let Balkman play!!!!!

As for a prediction....If we keep our to's down to 12 and rack up 25 assists I like our chances against anyone, including Dallas.
It's a tall order.....Can they handle it? We will know around 24 hours from now....and counting. 23hrs,59mins,59sec..........

I agree.
Old 03-19-2007, 09:31 PM   #13
knickscity
Knicks Board Moderator

BTW I put the switch on Marbs and francis because I want Francis to think assists and defense only. I want Marbs to think attack the rim. francis doesn't rack up alot of to's when he RUNS the offense. it when he is off the ball when he dribbles the ball off his foot and throws half-court alleyoops.

Last edited by knickscity : 03-19-2007 at 09:39 PM.
knickscity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007, 10:06 PM   #14
HaNdLe ThE RoCk
NBA All-star

We must stop the 3 point shooting from Terry and Dirk.
Old 03-19-2007, 11:41 PM   #15
bigdaddybluesman
Local High School Star

We can't seem to stop anybody from hitting threes.

I think it's poor defensive rotation leaving the man open.

A few passes and we get confused on who to cover.

That's why rebounding is going to be so important.

We can't let them have another try after the shot.

3 pointers have a low percentage and if they want to play perimeter we can't let them get that second shot after the rebound.

If they miss the long ball look for that outlet pass for a fast break and transition point for our guards. Make them pay and think they must get back faster on the defense, wear them out running the court. Then bang them hard in the low post with Curry in the first half.

It's all about wearing them down and who wants it more. They know they are the top team and if we get enough of a lead they might look to rest their big guys and give us a game. I have seen it done before by teams who know they are in.
bigdaddybluesman is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: