Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 03-20-2007, 12:52 AM   #1
brokenthumb
Kids at the park dunk on me

Default Edit: Pride has been sold.

Lot of rumors going around and sites reporting today that Pride has been sold and there will be an official announcement later this week. I dont ever give much credit to anonymous sources....but who knows. It might be true?

http://ufcjunkie.com/
"Slow down. Take a deep breath. And promise me you won’t go overboard or take this as gospel.

I’m serious now.

Remember: this isn’t a report from UFCjunkie.com, and doubters shouldn’t direct their anger and criticism toward us. We’re just delivering the message.

According to today’s episode of Sherdog’s The Savage Dog Show/BeatDown, UFC majority owners Lorenzo and Frank Fertitta have purchased the Japenese-based PRIDE Fighting Championships for a startling-low price of $65 million. (You can find a heated discussion on the Sherdog Forums.)

The show is relying an anonymous source that is said to be “very reliable,” and an official announcement is expected to come on Wednesday.

PRIDE, the UFC’s biggest competitor and perhaps the world’s most recognizable MMA organization, has reportedly suffered a variety of hardships during the past year. Rumors of its potential sale have circulated constantly in the past couple months, with current PRIDE USA Vice President Ed Fishman and the Zuffa LLC-owned UFC emerging as the two most-likely suitors.

The fact that the Fertittas, not Zuffa, are the rumored buyers is surprising at first take. Surely there’s more to the story, but we’ll have to wait.

PRIDE has publicly stated — numerous times — that the organization wasn’t for sale despite the reports saying otherwise. Today’s rumors would obviously hint otherwise.

So what would this mean for the UFC?

It’s hard to say without knowing the particulars. But of most importance would be the UFC’s access to PRIDE’s thoroughly impressive list of international fighters. The purchase could open the door for cross-promotion superfights that could destroy previous records for gates, attendance and pay-per-view revenue.

In any manner, I’ll have more news as it becomes available. For now, sit tight and try not to let the specualation get too far out of hand.

UPDATE: Should the sale happen, there could be an additional layer of problems, according to Zach Arnold at FightOpinion.com.

Anyone who’s followed Arnold’s site for any amount of time knows there’s some potentially shady happenings going on behind the scenes of PRIDE. To find out about Fishman’s pending lawsuit against Dream Stage Entertainment (PRIDE’s parent company) and the details it could reveal, surf over to FightOpinion.com."

Here's the link to the Sherdog Savage Dog Show.
http://www.sherdog.com/news/radio.asp?id=144

Also side note, Rampage is signed up to fight Chuck for the title in his next UFC fight. That's gonna be a good one!

Last edited by brokenthumb : 03-27-2007 at 12:46 PM.
brokenthumb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007, 12:54 AM   #2
L.Kizzle
ISH's Negro Historian

Default Re: Pride Fighting Championship possibly sold?

You think it was the WWE, they buy up everything.
L.Kizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007, 02:31 AM   #3
Zombles
Local High School Star

Best possible thing that could happen for MMA, finally the best fighters will actually compete against one another.

just hope Dana doesn't Lindland any good fighters that aren't considered marketable enough.
Zombles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007, 09:22 AM   #4
TMacsOneGoodEye
College star

Oh well, it was fun while it lasted.

Goodbye Mixed Martial Arts, hello Ultimate Fighting.

NSAC rules that favor American wrestlers and lay n pray will now be the norm. No more knees to the head, stomps, soccer kicks, etc. No more mixed martial arts.
TMacsOneGoodEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007, 10:01 AM   #5
hoopster20
Can barely lace up my sneakers

I would like to see more super fights with stars from both UFC, Pride, etc...so if this will allow for that to happen then i like it
hoopster20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007, 10:30 AM   #6
hateraid
Is it in you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMacsOneGoodEye

NSAC rules that favor American wrestlers and lay n pray will now be the norm. No more knees to the head, stomps, soccer kicks, etc. No more mixed martial arts.

Maybe UFC will adopt the rules?
hateraid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007, 11:11 AM   #7
fatboy11
NBA sixth man of the year

Quote:
Originally Posted by hateraid
Maybe UFC will adopt the rules?
They won't be able to in Nevada. The NSAC makes the rules. However, the rules for PRIDE will likely remain the same.
fatboy11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007, 01:22 PM   #8
Zombles
Local High School Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMacsOneGoodEye

dood way to be emo and melodramatic.

Pride events will likely stay in Japan and likely have the same rules.

And it's not like guys like Ishida, Filho, or Decision Dan haven't incorporated vast amounts of LayNPray into their arsenals under Pride rules.
really wish they would allow knees to the head on the ground though. Stupid NSAC.

it is kinda sad to see Pride go though. Those crazy Japanese men sure didn't know how to run a business but they sure put up some exciting fights.

Last edited by Zombles : 03-20-2007 at 01:25 PM.
Old 03-20-2007, 01:24 PM   #9
fatboy11

Quote:
And it's not like guys like Ishida, Filho, or Decision Dan haven't incorporated vast amounts of LayNPray into their arsenals under Pride rules.
Don't forget Ricardo Arona.
Old 03-20-2007, 03:52 PM   #10
aahhsin
Banned

good bye pride fc

i will always be a cult follower of the "real pride"

no more stacked cards, no more resets, no more ring

all i'm going to see is a bunch of fighters pushing to the side of the cage and throw elbows.

I'm going to hate seeing a bunch of drunken americans booing fedor.
aahhsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007, 10:01 AM   #11
fatboy11

Quote:
Originally Posted by aahhsin
good bye pride fc

i will always be a cult follower of the "real pride"

no more stacked cards, no more resets, no more ring

all i'm going to see is a bunch of fighters pushing to the side of the cage and throw elbows.

I'm going to hate seeing a bunch of drunken americans booing fedor.
PRIDE is going to stay the same as far as the rules and the ring and things of that nature. If Zuffa does purchase PRIDE, it has been said that they will run it has a separate organization from the UFC and not really mess with it. They (Dana White) might take some of the better fighters (like Wanderlei and Fedor) and bring them to the UFC, but it's not like they're going to shut PRIDE down. They want to take out their only true competition at the moment (key wording: "at the moment") and tap into the Japanese market.

Actually, I wouldn't be surprised to see them leave Fedor in PRIDE should they acquire that organization. They seem to be hyped up on Mirko as their HW champ. It will just be effortless to give Mikro his rematch with Fedor should they decide to do that.

This isn't going to be a bad thing, guys. That is, if it happens.
Old 03-23-2007, 06:44 AM   #12
Ricardo Tubbs
High School JV MVP

At first I thought this was just another BS rumor, but it is looking pretty real…

http://www.wrestlingobserver.com/wo/....asp?aID=19013

"--Nobuyuki Sakakibara yesterday told several members of the U.S. Pride staff that the company is in the proces of being sold to Lorenzo & Frank Fertitta. He said the agreement in principal is done but there are still some minor points to be worked out and the contract is not signed. Sakakibara said he would be leaving the company but that everyone would be keeping their jobs. The company would be operated separately from UFC, but obviously UFC could use any Pride fighter for a big match that it needed."

Quote:
This isn't going to be a bad thing, guys.

Yeah right. I'll have to see it to believe it. The reason Pride was so good was because it was so different. It wasn't just UFC Japan. It had a different look, different rules, (mostly) different fighters, and all that contributed to it's completely different vibe. If the new owners let Pride be run like it used to just with some more stability and money, it will be t!ts. If it gets turned into something to just be a UFC feeder organization, it will suck ass.

I wish Pride had just hooked up with HBO or Showtime. That would've given them a gateway to America. Instead those K-1 asshats are hooking up with Showtime. Ugh.

I want to believe it will turn out great, but…this just feels like when Daimler-Benz bought Chrysler. Chrysler is now in the sh!tter.

Maybe Sakakibara will take his new pile of cash and start up a new company?
Ricardo Tubbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2007, 12:44 PM   #13
brokenthumb
Kids at the park dunk on me

Default It's offical. Pride has been sold.

It's OFFICIAL... UFC Ownes Pride

The owners of the Ultimate Fighting Championship scooped up their primary rival Monday, reaching a multimillion-dollar deal to purchase the Japanese-based Pride Fighting Championship.

UFC president Dana White said he and partners Lorenzo and Frank Fertitta formed a new company, Pride Worldwide, that purchased the assets of the Pride FC.

White, who said the deal was completed about 1:30 p.m. PDT Monday, would not reveal the purchase price, but intimated it was an eight-figure deal.

"I don't like to talk about money, but it was a lot of money, I can tell you that," White said by telephone from Japan. "It was a hell of a lot more than Barry Bonds is making."

Bonds, the second-leading home run hitter in baseball history, signed a $15.8 million, one-year deal with the San Francisco Giants in February.

The UFC deal transfers all Pride assets, including fighter contracts, fight video library and trademarks, to the new company. White said he would retain Pride's Japanese employees and that the company's planned April 7 show would go on as planned in Tokyo.

Pride has many of the sport's best fighters, including heavyweight champion Fedor Emialenenko, Wanderlei Silva, Dan Henderson, Shogun Rua, Takanori Gomi and Hayato Sakurai, signed to promotional contracts.

White said Pride would adopt the same rules that are used in the United States and expressed a desire to use the so-called unified rules around the world. Soccer kicks and knees to the head were legal in Pride fights in Japan, but they were outlawed in two shows that were held at the Thomas & Mack Center.

However, White said any fight held with the Pride banner would continue to be in a ring. UFC fights are in a cage.

"This is a sport and we're going to follow the unified rules that were established in New Jersey and then in Nevada," White said. "It's a sport -- mixed martial arts -- and the sport should have the same rules everywhere. As far as I'm concerned, if an organization doesn't follow these rules, it's not MMA. It's something else, but that's not MMA."

White said he will create a "Super Bowl" of MMA that will match the best fighters in Pride against the best in the UFC. White said he hadn't had time to think through the logistics, but said the concept could become the biggest annual event in the sport.

He said he has the option to use Pride fighters in UFC shows if he chooses, but plans to run distinct brands.

"Pride is a powerful brand," White said. "The winners in this are the fans, because they're going to see the question answered. How many times have I heard someone say, 'Pride is better,' or 'UFC is better?' Well, wherever you come down on that, we'll answer the question because we'll make certain we put them in with each other and get an answer."

One of Pride's downfalls in the last year in Japan was the loss of its contract with Fuji TV. White said it was one of the new ownership group's leading priorities to negotiate a new television deal in Japan.

other links/articles:
http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/news/story?id=2814235

http://www.mmaweekly.com/absolutenm/...3676&zoneid=13
http://msn.foxsports.com/boxing/story/6614284?MSNHPHMA
brokenthumb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2007, 01:40 PM   #14
Zombles
Local High School Star

First off mate UFC does ot own Pride, Zuffa now owns both Pride & the UFC.

and secondly, yay? Not sure how this is going to work out but there was talk of most Pride fighters staying in Pride with 2-4 inter-promotion fight cards a year which would just be ****ing bees knees if true.

I really doubt Zuffa would ever pull Pride out of Japan, or make them a feeder organization, the Japanese MMA fabase is still (almost)as lucrative as the American one and now that the Yakuza ties are gone Pride should be able to get another TV deal; losing that is really what brought them to their knees in the first place.
Old 03-27-2007, 02:18 PM   #15
rezznor
Nosetradamus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombles
First off mate UFC does ot own Pride, Zuffa now owns both Pride & the UFC.

and secondly, yay? Not sure how this is going to work out but there was talk of most Pride fighters staying in Pride with 2-4 inter-promotion fight cards a year which would just be ****ing bees knees if true.

I really doubt Zuffa would ever pull Pride out of Japan, or make them a feeder organization, the Japanese MMA fabase is still (almost)as lucrative as the American one and now that the Yakuza ties are gone Pride should be able to get another TV deal; losing that is really what brought them to their knees in the first place.

is that what made pride lose their tv deal? the yakuza?

dana white said in the article above that he plans on making an annual "superbowl" type event featuring pride vs ufc. should be cool. would be like watching a legitimate wrestlemania event.
rezznor is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: