Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 03-20-2007, 05:14 PM   #31
-primetime-

Default Re: Dirk admits to Choking in the Clutch....

Quote:
Originally Posted by knickscity
These two statements contradict themselves. Are you arguing with yourself?
no they don't...

I was just saying that MJ went through alot more than Dirk and playing in the Finals wasn't as new to him as it is Dirk....I still think MJ was nervous though....you guys act as though he was a 100% shooter....anyone can miss a basket....nothing is for sure, and MJ is smart enough to know that...
Old 03-20-2007, 05:16 PM   #32
-primetime-

where was this thread when LeBrick James played Dallas a couple weeks ago?
Old 03-20-2007, 05:16 PM   #33
Lakers
Decent playground baller

Lakers has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by -primetime-

they got 100+ or so people to shoot basketball shots for a prize without telling them they were on television....then they made the same people shoot again but this time they told the person that it was going to air on televison....all of them shot a worse percentage when they knew they wre being filmed.....they all choked to some degree because they were nervous...it is a normal human reaction that we are all born with...

Is comparing normal people shooting basketball while filmed to pro athletes shooting in the clutch a great analogy?
Lakers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007, 05:17 PM   #34
Younggrease
Banned

Younggrease has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
yeah it is just a game but the fact that an entire team, city, fans, the players salary, everything you and your team worked so hard for every year, ect......should make you nervous at times

I don't think it is stupid to get nervous....it is more than just a game to those guys, it is thier living and they count on each other

Its bball, you know what you can do. Especially being a competitor you have to love the moment, the big shots. I know thats the main reason I played ball. I loved the clutch,the gamewinners and I never got nervous(not the same thing as NBA but it was big for me.) You will just convince me that every1 gets tense in the clutch, i wont buy it.
Younggrease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007, 05:18 PM   #35
Lakers
Decent playground baller

Quote:

LB was crucified when he missed clutch FTs too.
Old 03-20-2007, 05:18 PM   #36
GOBB
Sixers|Eagles|Phillies

GOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:

Get real, Bron has recieve his amount of criticism for clutch shots or lack thereof. Dont even complain about where a thread was to deflect attention from Dirk.
GOBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007, 05:20 PM   #37
hotsizzle
Superstar

hotsizzle has an incredible reputation herehotsizzle has an incredible reputation herehotsizzle has an incredible reputation herehotsizzle has an incredible reputation herehotsizzle has an incredible reputation herehotsizzle has an incredible reputation herehotsizzle has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
no they don't...

I was just saying that MJ went through alot more than Dirk and playing in the Finals wasn't as new to him as it is Dirk....I still think MJ was nervous though....you guys act as though he was a 100% shooter....anyone can miss a basket....nothing is for sure, and MJ is smart enough to know that...

Dont fool yourself. Again, you're confusing "tense" with "knowing whats at stake". You have to have confidence in your abilities at all times, especially in clutch situations..being nervous or tense describes a person who tells himself "what if I miss this"...that is NOT the mental mindset you want to have.

Jerry West once said stressed how the mind works wonders and that having a specific mindset will affect your game. And in case you didn't know, Jerry West was one of the best clutch performers ever.
hotsizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007, 05:21 PM   #38
-primetime-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Younggrease
Its bball, you know what you can do. Especially being a competitor you have to love the moment, the big shots. I know thats the main reason I played ball. I loved the clutch,the gamewinners and I never got nervous(not the same thing as NBA but it was big for me.) You will just convince me that every1 gets tense in the clutch, i wont buy it.

the first time any pro athlete makes it to the big game they are nervous...

if you would have played in the state championship or what ever you would have been nervous as hell, and if you say you wouldn't be you are a liar...

do you remember Donavon McNabb throwing up in the Super Bowl????...and he was far from the first one to do it...
Old 03-20-2007, 05:26 PM   #39
Younggrease
Banned

Younggrease has an OK reputation so far

Quote:

if you would have played in the state championship or what ever you would have been nervous as hell, and if you say you wouldn't be you are a liar...do you remember Donavon McNabb throwing up in the Super Bowl????...and he was far from the first one to do it...

nope wouldnt be nervous. I dont get nervous playing bball

Some people are made differently. Just because Dirk and McNAbb are very talented doesnt mean they are great at handling pressure.

You think Robert Horry gets nervous in the clutch?? he lives for that stuff, its like the only time he plays good anymore

Last edited by Younggrease : 03-20-2007 at 05:30 PM.
Younggrease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007, 05:26 PM   #40
Lakers
Decent playground baller

Quote:

if you would have played in the state championship or what ever you would have been nervous as hell, and if you say you wouldn't be you are a liar...

do you remember Donavon McNabb throwing up in the Super Bowl????...and he was far from the first one to do it...

Even if that were true, what would that have to do with Dirk bricking clutch FTs in a regular season game? You are starting to really reach.
Old 03-20-2007, 05:30 PM   #41
SUNS IN 07
Can barely lace up my sneakers

SUNS IN 07 has an OK reputation so far

Mark Cuban is scared,because he let go of one of the most amazing players in NBA history.Dirk is good but he is NOT the MVP.If anything Jason Terry is the Mavs best player has he takes and makes there big shot's while Dirk folds.By the way Dirk is such a crybaby,in the 2ot game Amare abused him in the low post and he was pleading for an offensive foul.Steve Nash is not only the mvp but a better leader as well.I don't care what anyone says, the suns were the most amazing team in the 06 Playoffs.We were undersized and undermatched,and has the experts put us down left and right we still won because of great leadership.Dallas fans can gloat all they want but they beat a team that was missing there whole frontline, STAT,Kurt Thomas,Brian Grant all injured while Raja Bell goes down has well.Had Bell been playing phx would have beat Dallas and ran Miami out of the gym.Pat Riley even said they had no answer for the suns.If they give Dirk the MVP Dallas had better watch out, because Dirk knows better then anyone not to make the true MVP mad.STEVE NASH MV3 MV3 MV3 MV3!!!
SUNS IN 07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007, 05:30 PM   #42
-primetime-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakers
Even if that were true, what would that have to do with Dirk bricking clutch FTs in a regular season game? You are starting to really reach.

because everyone is saying "this is why Dallas will lose in the Finals"
Old 03-20-2007, 05:37 PM   #43
TMac&Luther
Karl Malone's bastard

TMac&Luther is considered somewhat coolTMac&Luther is considered somewhat coolTMac&Luther is considered somewhat cool

Quote:

Yeah and I also remember him catching a bad rep as being a choker.

I agree that everybody has some kind of nervous energy in those situations. The difference is the "Clutch" players are able to use the energy to their benefit and FOCUS and thrive in the moment. (Since your using the football analogy)........i.e

Vince Young, beating Ohio State at night in Ohio, plus in every Rosebowl he ever played in......all on last minute drives

also Tom Brady winning superbowls on last minute drives

Other players let that "nervous" energy consume them and they collapse under PRESSURE. i.e

Peyton Manning 2000-2005

Freaking bug eyed Reche Caldwell in last years AFC champ. game.

As a boxer your taught "fear" is not a bad thing, it sharpens your senses and skills, but you have to know how to use it. Some people welcome and thrive in those situations others collapse........thats the difference between a choker and clutch performer.

Last edited by TMac&Luther : 03-20-2007 at 05:40 PM.
TMac&Luther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007, 05:37 PM   #44
-primetime-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Younggrease
nope wouldnt be nervous. I dont get nervous playing bball

liar...

first off...how the hell would you know if you have never been on a stage that big before?

second....what does make you nervous?...you act as though you don't even know what being nervous feels like or something...
Old 03-20-2007, 05:40 PM   #45
-primetime-

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMac&Luther
Yeah and I also remember him catching a bad rep as being a choker.

I agree that everybody has some kind of nervous energy in those situations. The difference is the "Clutch" players are able to use the energy to their benefit and FOCUS and thrive in the moment. (Since your using the football analogy)........i.e

Vince Young, beating Ohio State at night in Ohio, plus in every Rosebowl he ever played in......all on last minute drives

also Tom Brady winning superbowls on last minute drives

Other players let that "nervous" energy consume them and they collapse under PRESSURE. i.e

Peyton Manning 2000-2005

Freaking bug eyed Reche Caldwell in last years AFC champ. game.

As a boxer your taught "fear" is not a bad thing, it sharpens your senses and skills, but you have to know how to use it. Some people thrive others collapse........thats the difference between a choker and clutch performer.

I can agree with this....

you are basically saying that every does in fact get nervous at times but there are some that deal with it better than others....
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: