Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 03-21-2007, 09:07 AM   #16
allball
National High School Star

Default Re: Ranking of players in their absolute primes

Quote:
Originally Posted by JtotheIzzo
I cant help thinking that if all of the players were leaders of NBA teams in their prime in the same season, Shaq's team would win the chip.
You gotta admit, takin down Prime Deisel and his squad would be tough.

Disagree. Kareem and Hakeem's teams would be just as tough if not tougher as well as Jordan, Magic and Bird.
allball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007, 09:08 AM   #17
SoCalMike
NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vendetta
Prime Shaq > Prime Anybody Else

Wilt would have spanked Shaq all over the court. Wilt had Shaq's size and strength, and yet he actually hustled and played a full game every night!

SoCalMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007, 05:10 AM   #18
Shep
Decent college freshman

Quote:
I cant help thinking that if all of the players were leaders of NBA teams in their prime in the same season, Shaq's team would win the chip.
no. wilt chamberlains '67 sixers would beat any team, any time, any arena, any era ever.
Shep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007, 07:22 AM   #19
gb8
Extra Cheese

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalMike
Wilt would have spanked Shaq all over the court. Wilt had Shaq's size and strength, and yet he actually hustled and played a full game every night!

I am not sure if wilt did actually have shaqs strength. Shaq looks considerably thicker to me then wilt did. Shaq in 2000 is more dominant that any other player ever, and since wilt sucked at free throws aswell wilt doesnt hae any edge.
gb8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007, 09:42 AM   #20
Howard5Dirk41
Banned

Shaq would have ***** slapped Wilt.

Wilt is overrated, he played against a bunch of 6'6" white dudes, give me a break. Shaq would have scored 200 against those scrubs.
Howard5Dirk41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007, 09:46 AM   #21
JtotheIzzo
OOOHWEE Cleveland!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by allball
Disagree. Kareem and Hakeem's teams would be just as tough if not tougher as well as Jordan, Magic and Bird.

None of the centers could guard Shaq
-they're not strong enough

Jordan, Magic and Bird are all better ballers, but Shaq presence is greater than their's with respect to how the rest of the team benifits.

and Shaq's team owns the paint, which we all know makes the difference when the game is on the line
JtotheIzzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007, 09:50 AM   #22
gb8
Extra Cheese

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard5Dirk41
Shaq would have ***** slapped Wilt.

Wilt is overrated, he played against a bunch of 6'6" white dudes, give me a break. Shaq would have scored 200 against those scrubs.

I really really really hope this is sarcasm.
Old 03-22-2007, 09:50 AM   #23
Loki
Banned

nm

Last edited by Loki : 03-22-2007 at 09:54 AM.
Loki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007, 09:55 AM   #24
gb8
Extra Cheese

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loki
Given the same supporting cast, I honestly don't know if 2000 Shaq's team would beat, say, '91-'92 Jordan's team. Shaq/Pip/Grant is gonna beat MJ/Pip/Grant? Doubtful because of game-finishing issues. Shaq/Kobe is gonna beat Jordan/Kobe? Again doubtful because you'd have two guys who would destroy you in the 4th. I'm just not sure.

Shaq would certainly do better with ONLY a team of 4 spot-up 3-pt shooters, though.

I think Shaq Pip Grant does beat Mj Pip and Grant. Pip can play Mj as well as he has ever been played. A young grant was an allstar next to shaq. and no one is guarding Shaq.

Shaq and kobe definitely beats mj and kobe. Kobe is going to cancle out the kobe but shaq is clearly more dominant then mj on the floor. Shaq in 2000 is just a different guy. 7 game series i say shaqs teams win in 6 games.
Old 03-22-2007, 09:57 AM   #25
JtotheIzzo
OOOHWEE Cleveland!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gb8
I think Shaq Pip Grant does beat Mj Pip and Grant. Pip can play Mj as well as he has ever been played. A young grant was an allstar next to shaq. and no one is guarding Shaq.

Shaq and kobe definitely beats mj and kobe. Kobe is going to cancle out the kobe but shaq is clearly more dominant then mj on the floor. Shaq in 2000 is just a different guy. 7 game series i say shaqs teams win in 6 games.

exactly

plus Shaq and Ho would beast inside

Kobe wouldn't get along with MJ and demand he be traded
JtotheIzzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007, 09:58 AM   #26
gb8
Extra Cheese

Quote:
Originally Posted by JtotheIzzo
exactly

plus Shaq and Ho would beast inside

Kobe wouldn't get along with MJ and demand he be traded

Or piss mj of with his biting ways that mj calls him a *** and knocks him out.
Old 03-22-2007, 10:24 AM   #27
dejordan
Mars Blackmon Lives!

great lists by psileas and allball. i think i'll try one using just one year for each player (not putting anybody twice). i'm going to factor in team success as well since nobody plays in a vacuum:

1. jordan 1991 - MVP, led league in scoring and steals, Finals MVP w/ a 33 pt, 11 assist average. Swept rival Pistons to get to the finals. Beat Magic's Lakers in 5 games including a dominating game 2 and a game 3 in which he hit the shot to take it to OT and then owned the OT (basically single handedly won 2 games out of four).

2. wilt 1962 - 50 pts and 25 brds and took the champion celtics to 7 games in the playoffs. you couldn't ask a player to do anything more. ever. except maybe come up with the crucial plays to win the chip.

3. bird 1987 - By for the hardest player to narrow down to 1 year (even harder than mike). He had better personal numbers in 88 due to the loss of walton and overall thinness of his team and he actually won the title while being league mvp in 84 and 86, but i think as an individaul he was best in 87. shot 50%+ from the field and 90%+ from the line for 28 pts and 9 brds with nearly 8 assists (don't know for sure but I think that's all time mark for any non-guard), 2 steals and a block every game. Won two hard fought 7 game series against 50 win teams in the Bucks and Pistons before bowing out to a dominating Lakers team in 6 games. Basically every year from 84-88 could be his best.

4. magic 1987 - MVP on amazing numbers with a great team winning %age. Won the title over Boston. Kareem was diminished and showtime was in full effect. Won crucial game 5 against Boston with running hook. Not sure what else needs to be said.

5. shaq 2000 - 67 wins, career year for stats, only missed 2 games all year. Harper and Kobe saved him v. the Blazers in West Finals, but he dominated everyone else all year. Like most of Shaq's career, seeing how he warped defenses and frightened drivers does more than any written diatribe ever could.

6. hakeem 1995 - Tough call between 94 and 95. I'll take 95 because he averaged 33 pts/ game in the playoffs and his team swept the finals against Shaq's Magic. One of the few players who has ever been (arguably) the best offensive player in the league and the best defender in the same season.

7. moses 1983 - Not his best scoring year, because he shared shots with Dr. J and Andrew Toney. but still a dominating MVP season. Very nearly swept the whole playoffs (lost 1 game to the Bucks). Did sweep Kareem's Lakers while averaging 26 pts and almost 16 rbds per game.

think i'll stop here. i'm sure none of those are definitive, just the picks that come to me this morning.
dejordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007, 10:41 AM   #28
Timmy D for MVP
Chuck Hayes Stan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shep
no. wilt chamberlains '67 sixers would beat any team, any time, any arena, any era ever.

Not the Dream Team, but that's about it.

I agree that Wilts team would be unbelievably dominate, but I think Jordan's prime surpasses his. Jordan was not only a scorer who could not be stopped, or a great passer, but he had the defense to back it up, and a basketball IQ that ranks among some of the greatest. He was te somplete package, and the player that many model themselves after.
Timmy D for MVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007, 10:48 AM   #29
dejordan
Mars Blackmon Lives!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gb8

here's my take on your magical 91-93 jordan bulls v. shaq bulls:

that team has 4 centers (cartwright, perdue, williams, king) to foul shaq with. that's 24 fouls before we start sending guards and forwards down to do it. they just cut his effectiveness severely and gave up no offense to do it because the bulls didn't use those guys for offense. they used michael jordan who the shaq-pippen would be covering. unfortunately that means they'd be covering the jordan-pippen with bj armstrong, cliff levingston, john paxson, and craig hodges. can you say 'must double on catch?'

oh, and let's revisit the pippen guarding jordan idea. scottie couldn't clamp clyde at all in the 92 series. now he's going to lock up mj? the other problem with this is that scottie is a great on the ball defender, but jordan wouldn't be the primary ball-handler. the other pippen would. jordon would be flashing and coming off screens and cutting to the rim, and scottie has never been at his best chasing guys on defense. he needs to be set so that he can coordinate everyone as the defensive coach on the floor, and in order to use his combination of length and speed to best effect he really needs to be on the ball (either for a ball-handler or a post player). jordan chased 2 guards in the first dynasty and he and harper in the second dynasty.

and then there's the question of clutch shooting. what happens when the game is close and jordan nails an 18 footer with 6 seconds left? you going to watch shaq choke at the line or scottie choke off the dribble? or is phil going to run paxson off 3 screens and hope to god the other phil coaching on the other side doesn't just switch the last one and have ho, mj, or scottie swat it back at him?

the problem is that i don't think there's a 2 guard out there (or sf) that they could trade cartwright for who would make the slightest difference unless krause was able to completely bamboozal someone. not that cartwright was that bad, but you'd need someone capable of guarding mj or scottie, and anyone that athletic would be out of reach. i mean detroit's not giving you rodman or dumars. you won't get majerle. no one of that caliber is an option, so you're basically going to have to bring out a gerald wilkins (whom mj torched repeated as a cav and laker) or someone like that which won't make the slightest difference in the series. on top of which that still doesn't cover your clutch shooting needs. you might be able to package some combination of players to get someone, but at that point you're really dealing with totally different teams.

i COPLETELY agree about shaq and kobe being a much better match than jordan and kobe. if i had mj and kobe together i would start trying to trade #8 or 24 for garnett or someone like that immediately.

Last edited by dejordan : 03-22-2007 at 10:52 AM.
dejordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007, 10:55 AM   #30
Timmy D for MVP
Chuck Hayes Stan

Quote:
Originally Posted by dejordan
i COPLETELY agree about shaq and kobe being a much better match than jordan and kobe. if i had mj and kobe together i would start trying to trade #8 or 24 for garnett or someone like that immediately.

Jordan+Duncan= Dynasty.
Timmy D for MVP is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: