Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 07-11-2014, 08:23 AM   #136
blacknapalm
spider 2 y banana
 
blacknapalm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 7,301
Default Re: Protein Powder....which brand do you use?



has almost no additives and most of the basic amino acids. high % pure protein. extremely low fat and cholesterol. if you mix it with cow milk, that's where most of your fat will come from. tastes good even with water. easily mixes in a blender bottle. i'm soft of a fanboy of ON in general. i also take their opti-men multivitamins and i swear i haven't had any illness in over a year since i started taking it. those b vitamins even help in hangovers it's the best multi-vite i've taken and i don't see myself switching soon.

i think casein can help but is really expensive for what it does. i'd rather rely on a late night snack of low fat cottage cheese and peanuts. i think the effects of casein are overstated but obviously ppl are different.

then again, i'm not the most disciplined. my hours at work move around too much and it's not exactly super physical. i know my stuff, but i don't always apply it.

i'd love to move to a more vegan lifestyle (don't think i could give up meat completely). i obviously realize there's plenty of protein rich foods outside of meat. also, meats are highly gross when you think about it. there's animals that have tumors or pus in it...grocery stores just chop that part off and sell you the 'appealing' package.

Last edited by blacknapalm : 07-11-2014 at 08:27 AM.
blacknapalm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 09:14 AM   #137
russwest0
NBA Superstar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Ringing ringing ringing off...
Posts: 13,871
Default Re: Protein Powder....which brand do you use?

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacknapalm


has almost no additives and most of the basic amino acids. high % pure protein. extremely low fat and cholesterol. if you mix it with cow milk, that's where most of your fat will come from. tastes good even with water. easily mixes in a blender bottle. i'm soft of a fanboy of ON in general. i also take their opti-men multivitamins and i swear i haven't had any illness in over a year since i started taking it. those b vitamins even help in hangovers it's the best multi-vite i've taken and i don't see myself switching soon.

i think casein can help but is really expensive for what it does. i'd rather rely on a late night snack of low fat cottage cheese and peanuts. i think the effects of casein are overstated but obviously ppl are different.

then again, i'm not the most disciplined. my hours at work move around too much and it's not exactly super physical. i know my stuff, but i don't always apply it.

i'd love to move to a more vegan lifestyle (don't think i could give up meat completely). i obviously realize there's plenty of protein rich foods outside of meat. also, meats are highly gross when you think about it. there's animals that have tumors or pus in it...grocery stores just chop that part off and sell you the 'appealing' package.

in regards to their multi vitamins man i wouldnt take those I used to and they are okay but they overload you with way too much shit which can have harmful longterm effects

bodybuilding.com's own custom multivitamins are the best. not only are they cheap as hell but they have basically the perfect amount of everything and you only have to take 2 pills instead of 3 like with the optimum brand.

their protein powder though, yeah, it's perfect
russwest0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 09:17 AM   #138
Im Still Ballin
BIGGER IS BETTER
 
Im Still Ballin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 5,062
Default Re: Protein Powder....which brand do you use?

Quote:
Originally Posted by russwest0
in regards to their multi vitamins man i wouldnt take those I used to and they are okay but they overload you with way too much shit which can have harmful longterm effects

bodybuilding.com's own custom multivitamins are the best. not only are they cheap as hell but they have basically the perfect amount of everything and you only have to take 2 pills instead of 3 like with the optimum brand.

their protein though, yeah, it's perfect
Bro its all about doubling down. Go hard. Or go home. I double ALL my vitamins. Cos you know I'm bout that life. I'm currently going HAM on 20,000 IU of D3 a day! Call me a madman.
Im Still Ballin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 09:30 AM   #139
blacknapalm
spider 2 y banana
 
blacknapalm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 7,301
Default Re: Protein Powder....which brand do you use?

Quote:
Originally Posted by russwest0
in regards to their multi vitamins man i wouldnt take those I used to and they are okay but they overload you with way too much shit which can have harmful longterm effects

bodybuilding.com's own custom multivitamins are the best. not only are they cheap as hell but they have basically the perfect amount of everything and you only have to take 2 pills instead of 3 like with the optimum brand.

their protein powder though, yeah, it's perfect

word. i usually only take 1 pill a day, sometimes 2 pills a day if i have a heavy meal. i realized it was overkill when i got it but it's really the only multi-vite i've trusted enough to commit to. i seriously don't see how they can recommend 3 a day though my piss is neon yellow even after drinking water for a couple hours.

i'll look into the bodybuilding.com's multis though.

Last edited by blacknapalm : 07-11-2014 at 09:32 AM.
blacknapalm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 10:17 AM   #140
NotYetGreat
Great college starter
 
NotYetGreat's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 3,547
Default Re: Protein Powder....which brand do you use?

I understand ON has probably the biggest fanbase (I think MP is just getting popular now, especially with all these MMA endorsers and stuff) over the years, but damn, I took that stuff for half a year and looking back, it was horrible.

I stopped taking whey altogether around two years ago (and oddly enough, replacing my protein shakes and eating IF style made me bigger), but Dymatize was the best-tasting out of ALL of them (ON GS and the natural included). Sat well with my stomach best too. Don't know why there's hate on Hateraid for it, but yeah, he was the one who encouraged me to try (duh, since he works there), but after trying the stuff, I'm convinced of it's awesomeness.
NotYetGreat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 12:18 PM   #141
The Macho Man
Randy Savage
 
The Macho Man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Head Game Al Snow
Posts: 30,935
Default Re: Protein Powder....which brand do you use?

I love pinoys so much!
The Macho Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 12:36 PM   #142
hateraid
Is it in you?
 
hateraid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: In your local 7-11 freezers
Posts: 11,788
Default Re: Protein Powder....which brand do you use?

Quote:
Originally Posted by plowking
You've said this several times throughout the thread, but in what way are peptides completely worthless? There have been numerous controlled tests that state otherwise, and they are in fact sold separately as well.
Sure it has its side effects, but so do a lot of protein supplements.

This is not about a free form amino peptides. Glutamine peptides are derived from gluten which is a byproduct of wheat. Wheat proteins are very incomplete. In addition to that many consumers don't realize that is comes from gluten, so celiacs and gluten free lifestyle folk cannot consume it. Further more the glutamine peptides do not convert to glutamic acid in the body which is why people take regular glutamine. It does not do the same thing as l-glutamine.
The wheat protein is an extremely incomplete form of protein. Would you go out and buy wheat protein regularly? Probably not. It is added to prevent whey protein powders from clumping. That and soy lecithin, which is a different subject entirely. The catch is because it has a protein value it can be added to the overall protein on the panel. Because wheat protein is 1/10 of the cost of whey some companies will dilute their whey proteins with it to drive costs down. so your "cheap" whey may consist of a ton wheat protein.

Bottom line, let's fool consumers to thinking they are getting glutamine when really companies are misrepresenting a byproduct to cheapen costs.

Now I would expect you would have an open mind about that than to see that that is not an agenda driven statement. People who choose to buy that is their own prerogative. i just choose to educate them on what in fact the label is.
hateraid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 12:47 PM   #143
hateraid
Is it in you?
 
hateraid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: In your local 7-11 freezers
Posts: 11,788
Default Re: Protein Powder....which brand do you use?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balla_Status
I know this isn't always the case but sometimes people that do work for companies where they specialize in the topic at hand are actually honest and not just trying to sell shit. And they might actually know more than you.

Thanks bro.
I never wanted to come off as trying to sell something. I've always tried to be as honest and respectful as I possibly can.
Truthfully I left GNC because I started to be resentful to people. That gig payed me good and I worked as a third party specialist. The bad part is I still occasional had to work on the floor and help customers.
I swear, the nutrition industry may be the one industry where people become the most subjective and will not listen to reason. What I'm experiences here is what I went through, I kid you not, on a daily basis. Where honesty is seen as an agenda and if it opposed an idea then I was being an asshole.
This is why I think I've become surly in my older age and I hate people.
hateraid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 12:50 PM   #144
Im Still Ballin
BIGGER IS BETTER
 
Im Still Ballin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 5,062
Default Re: Protein Powder....which brand do you use?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hateraid
This is not about a free form amino peptides. Glutamine peptides are derived from gluten which is a byproduct of wheat. Wheat proteins are very incomplete. In addition to that many consumers don't realize that is comes from gluten, so celiacs and gluten free lifestyle folk cannot consume it. Further more the glutamine peptides do not convert to glutamic acid in the body which is why people take regular glutamine. It does not do the same thing as l-glutamine.
The wheat protein is an extremely incomplete form of protein. Would you go out and buy wheat protein regularly? Probably not. It is added to prevent whey protein powders from clumping. That and soy lecithin, which is a different subject entirely. The catch is because it has a protein value it can be added to the overall protein on the panel. Because wheat protein is 1/10 of the cost of whey some companies will dilute their whey proteins with it to drive costs down. so your "cheap" whey may consist of a ton wheat protein.

Bottom line, let's fool consumers to thinking they are getting glutamine when really companies are misrepresenting a byproduct to cheapen costs.

Now I would expect you would have an open mind about that than to see that that is not an agenda driven statement. People who choose to buy that is their own prerogative. i just choose to educate them on what in fact the label is.
How does wheat protein compare to whey protein in regards to muscle repair and recovery?

Also, does this filler of wheat protein have any noticeable impact? How significant or insignificant is it?
Im Still Ballin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 12:51 PM   #145
hateraid
Is it in you?
 
hateraid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: In your local 7-11 freezers
Posts: 11,788
Default Re: Protein Powder....which brand do you use?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Im Still Ballin
Bro its all about doubling down. Go hard. Or go home. I double ALL my vitamins. Cos you know I'm bout that life. I'm currently going HAM on 20,000 IU of D3 a day! Call me a madman.

Quote:
My advice > hateraids

We in the weight lifting biz bro! Not the supplement one


Toxic dosage. You'll die young.
You're doing the world a favor

Last edited by hateraid : 07-11-2014 at 12:59 PM.
hateraid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 12:51 PM   #146
hateraid
Is it in you?
 
hateraid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: In your local 7-11 freezers
Posts: 11,788
Default Re: Protein Powder....which brand do you use?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Im Still Ballin
How does wheat protein compare to whey protein in regards to muscle repair and recovery?

Also, does this filler of wheat protein have any noticeable impact? How significant or insignificant is it?

Quote:
My advice > hateraids

We in the weight lifting biz bro! Not the supplement one

Figure it out yourself
hateraid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 12:56 PM   #147
Im Still Ballin
BIGGER IS BETTER
 
Im Still Ballin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 5,062
Default Re: Protein Powder....which brand do you use?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hateraid
Figure it out yourself
Haha catch feelings on the net cuz. Toyed
Im Still Ballin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 12:57 PM   #148
hateraid
Is it in you?
 
hateraid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: In your local 7-11 freezers
Posts: 11,788
Default Re: Protein Powder....which brand do you use?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotYetGreat
I understand ON has probably the biggest fanbase (I think MP is just getting popular now, especially with all these MMA endorsers and stuff) over the years, but damn, I took that stuff for half a year and looking back, it was horrible.

I stopped taking whey altogether around two years ago (and oddly enough, replacing my protein shakes and eating IF style made me bigger), but Dymatize was the best-tasting out of ALL of them (ON GS and the natural included). Sat well with my stomach best too. Don't know why there's hate on Hateraid for it, but yeah, he was the one who encouraged me to try (duh, since he works there), but after trying the stuff, I'm convinced of it's awesomeness.


I appreciate it.
PM me your addy and I will send you a Dymatize sample package courtesy of my company to show my appreciation. I hope that nothing I've ever said steered you wrong.
In fact anyone who wants to try I will send a package to.
hateraid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 12:58 PM   #149
hateraid
Is it in you?
 
hateraid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: In your local 7-11 freezers
Posts: 11,788
Default Re: Protein Powder....which brand do you use?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Im Still Ballin
Haha catch feelings on the net cuz. Toyed

Negged

Signed soccerfan
hateraid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 01:00 PM   #150
Im Still Ballin
BIGGER IS BETTER
 
Im Still Ballin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 5,062
Default Re: Protein Powder....which brand do you use?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hateraid
Negged

Signed soccerfan
Come on. Neg me. PLEASE. I've been waiting this whole thread. Make my day.
Im Still Ballin is online now   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by:
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:28 AM.




NBA Basketball Forum Key Links:
InsideHoops Home
NBA Rumors
Basketball Blog
NBA Daily Recaps
NBA Videos
Fantasy Basketball
NBA Mock Draft
NBA Free Agents
All-Star Weekend
---
High School Basketball
Streetball
---
InsideHoops Twitter
Search Our Site













Powered by vBulletin Version 3.5.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. Terms of Use/Service | Privacy Policy