Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 03-22-2007, 10:06 AM   #1
loot
H.U.M.A.N. World

loot has an incredible reputation hereloot has an incredible reputation hereloot has an incredible reputation hereloot has an incredible reputation hereloot has an incredible reputation hereloot has an incredible reputation hereloot has an incredible reputation hereloot has an incredible reputation here
Default Magazine beef: Dime vs Slam

dimemag.com:
Quote:
....We started Dime five years ago because we were ballplayers and there wasn’t a magazine for us. So we went out and made one. Five years later, we’re still here doing our thing - bigger and better than ever. And in all that time, we’ve never taken a shot at any
magazine, let alone yours. We don’t need to. If you want to talk, talk. We just bring it harder. And the results speak for themselves.

Listen, to us, there’s nothing cornier than a mag beef (over the internet no less), so here’s one option: We’re both basketball magazines … let’s play ball. Name the date, name the court, and we’ll be there. We might even spot you a couple points - from what we’ve seen, you’ll need at least that much.

Who are we kidding? We both know you won’t take us up on the offer.

http://dimemag.com/2007/03/22/bite-this/

slamonline.com:
Quote:
So, yeah… biters. Good stuff. I can’t really be mad, though; unlike GQ, which has to try (and generally fail) to be as good as Esquire, or working comedians who have to compete for stand-up gigs and HBO specials and may or may not be jealous of each other’s TV shows, SLAM doesn’t really have any competition. If we did, I guess, they might actually be blatant and shameless enough to bite us, too — like doing an “anniversary” issue of some sort in the past month or two and having Jalen Rose write a first-person account of his days in the Fab Five.

Just like we did, about a year ago, in SLAM 100.

Thankfully, that competition does not exist.

http://slamonline.com/online/2007/03/bite-me/

Thoughts? I actually have been less impressed by Slam lately, and Dime has been improving. Slam will always be the originators of the style of these bball magazines, but Dime's been coming up with very nice interviews and editorials.

Slam has great articles, and will continue to be the biggest mag, but they need to step it up. There have been so many half-assed articles the past few years. Some writers are more worried about their style of writing and being funny and cool, than they're actually writing a nice informative piece.
loot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007, 10:08 AM   #2
JtotheIzzo
The Future is Now

JtotheIzzo is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJtotheIzzo is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJtotheIzzo is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJtotheIzzo is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJtotheIzzo is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJtotheIzzo is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJtotheIzzo is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJtotheIzzo is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJtotheIzzo is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJtotheIzzo is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJtotheIzzo is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Re: Magazine beef: Dime vs Slam

they'll both end up kissing each other's ass and sucking each other's calk, because that is all they know how to do when it comes to basketball.
JtotheIzzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007, 10:08 AM   #3
IversonMelo2K7
BIG KAHUNA

IversonMelo2K7 has an OK reputation so far

Slam is a real hip-hop basketball mag with excellent writing and photos. Dime is a garbage wannabe thug mag with absolutely no substance. They are polar opposites.
IversonMelo2K7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007, 10:09 AM   #4
loot
H.U.M.A.N. World

loot has an incredible reputation hereloot has an incredible reputation hereloot has an incredible reputation hereloot has an incredible reputation hereloot has an incredible reputation hereloot has an incredible reputation hereloot has an incredible reputation hereloot has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by IversonMelo2K7
Slam is a real hip-hop basketball mag with excellent writing and photos. Dime is a garbage wannabe thug mag with absolutely no substance. They are polar opposites.

Errrr?
loot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007, 10:11 AM   #5
hateraid
Is it in you?

hateraid is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterhateraid is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterhateraid is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterhateraid is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterhateraid is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterhateraid is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterhateraid is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterhateraid is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterhateraid is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterhateraid is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterhateraid is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

I think it's a gimmick. It's a ll scripted. I love SLAM, but if what i read is true, i have less respect for the publishers. Come to think of it, the only reason I buy SLAM now is for the Kicks section, but now that's obsolete with the internet.
hateraid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007, 11:25 AM   #6
TheHonestTruth
Banned

TheHonestTruth has no real reputation yet.

Slam isn't that great but Dime is atrocious. Are the writers of Dime even educated?
TheHonestTruth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007, 12:28 PM   #7
Knine
I hit open layups

Knine has an OK reputation so far

Slam keeps changing up their writers. I use to like that last section of Slam when it was by Kenny Smith. THey need to bring that back if they can. The Punks section is good.
Knine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007, 02:28 PM   #8
MaxFly
Stylin' on you

MaxFly is popular on this boardMaxFly is popular on this boardMaxFly is popular on this boardMaxFly is popular on this boardMaxFly is popular on this board

Haha at mag beef... are you joking? This is beyond silly.
MaxFly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007, 03:08 PM   #9
Solid Snake
Local High School Star

Solid Snake is starting to rub some people the wrong waySolid Snake is starting to rub some people the wrong way
Unhappy Re: Magazine beef: Dime vs Slam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knine
Slam keeps changing up their writers. I use to like that last section of Slam when it was by Kenny Smith. THey need to bring that back if they can. The Punks section is good.

What's the Punks section?
Solid Snake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007, 03:30 PM   #10
Dizzle-2k7
Go Spurs Go

Dizzle-2k7 is considered somewhat coolDizzle-2k7 is considered somewhat cool

Slam is a better mag, but ive seen the editors and all that.. they dont really have any game. Dime probably has real ballers, which is why they aint as good of a "writer's" magazine.
Dizzle-2k7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007, 03:36 PM   #11
Samurai Swoosh
Root Of All Evil

Samurai Swoosh is a pretty well-respected posterSamurai Swoosh is a pretty well-respected posterSamurai Swoosh is a pretty well-respected poster

SLAM is the OG. I mean Scoop Jackson, The original Ed., SLAMUPS, Punks, Kicks, etc. They are the best. Dime, while kind of respectable is a pale imitation.
Samurai Swoosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007, 03:42 PM   #12
SoCalMike
NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

SoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

I currently get Dime Mag, and it sucks to be honest.. there's nothing there that is really "interesting." I am sorry I subscribed to it. Fortunatley, the subscription is almost over.

SoCalMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007, 04:00 PM   #13
Sean77
High School JV MVP

Sean77 has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by hateraid
I think it's a gimmick. It's a ll scripted. I love SLAM, but if what i read is true, i have less respect for the publishers. Come to think of it, the only reason I buy SLAM now is for the Kicks section, but now that's obsolete with the internet.

Actually SLAM has a whole other magazine called KICKS, so you don't even need to buy SLAM for the shoes anymore.

I'm an avid SLAM reader, I just got into Dime a few months ago. They're definitely different, DIME focuses more on the players' life off the court and how they deal with their celebrity status. DIME is much more versatile with what it brings, I always like the Old School articles. I just wish it wasn't always two months behind.

The 100th issue was a good trip down Memory Lane, especially the article about the only cover AI did with his hair out. What was interesting about that was the throwback Philly jersey he wore was actually Mitchell & Ness' introduction to the world.

SLAM is losing its luster a little bit, but remember they just got a new editor-in-chief about two issues ago.

Last edited by Sean77 : 03-22-2007 at 04:02 PM.
Sean77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007, 04:15 PM   #14
RidonKs
NBA Legend

RidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

I've read SLAM a lot over the past few years, and used to enjoy it immensely. I've gotten a bit tired of it lately, but it's not terrible like people tend to say. I really don't care what people say about him, I used to love Scoop Jackson's articles. Maybe I just have a flare for the dramatics, but his different dtyles of hooking the reader always absorbed me into his articles.

And the articles aren't the only thing the Mag brings to the table. I loved HYPE, and Gamepoint by Kenny Smith was always pretty interesting. Nice concepts in those one page articles. SlamOfDaMonth was also cool, just for the couple of paragraphs that came with it. Always neat little buildups for the actual dunks, and backstories on the players (even if it was made up - still interesting).

Never read Dime, but I heard it was absolute trash.
RidonKs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007, 04:15 PM   #15
wTFaMonkey
RP 4 lyfe

wTFaMonkey is considered somewhat coolwTFaMonkey is considered somewhat coolwTFaMonkey is considered somewhat cool

dime is horrible
wTFaMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: