Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > College and High School Basketball Forum

College and High School Basketball Forum College basketball message board, high school basketball message board

Old 03-23-2007, 10:47 PM   #1
ThaKing
Decent playground baller

ThaKing has an OK reputation so far
Default Julian Wright will return to Kansas for his Junior Season

Jayhawks' Wright says he will return for junior seasonBy Mark Schlabach
ESPN.com

SAN JOSE, Calif. -- Regardless of what happens in Saturday's West Regional final between No. 1 seed Kansas and No. 2 seed UCLA at HP Pavilion, Jayhawks forward Julian Wright knows one thing: he'll be back with the Jayhawks next season.

Paul Sakuma/AP Photo
Kansas forward Julian Wright says he's "not thinking about [the NBA] at all."
Wright, a 6-foot-9 sophomore, said he will return to Kansas for his junior season in 2007-08, even though he is considered a potential lottery pick in June's NBA draft if he forgoes his final two seasons of college eligibility.

Wright, from Chicago Heights, Ill, has averaged 12.1 points and 7.9 rebounds in 37 games.

"I made the decision before this season that I'm not thinking about [the NBA] at all," Wright said. "I'm coming back."

Wright is still considered a somewhat raw prospect with tremendous abilities.

He scored 21 points and grabbed 10 rebounds in Kansas' 82-80 overtime upset of then-No. 2 Florida on Nov. 25, a game in which Wright dominated Gators forwards Al Horford and Joakim Noah, another pair of potential NBA lottery picks.

But Wright also has been plagued by inconsistency at times during his second college season. He scored 33 points and had 12 rebounds in a 92-74 win over Missouri on Feb. 10, then scored only four points with three turnovers in a 71- 62 victory over Kansas State nine days later.

"He's just a sophomore in college," Kansas coach Bill Self said of Wright. "He's a fabulous talent, and I've said that all along. When he's playing his best, his ceiling is higher than anyone else's. But he's not a natural scorer. That's not what he wants to do. So sometimes he can kind of give the appearance of not impacting the game as much because he's not scoring points."

Wright said part of the reason he plans to stay at Kansas is he hopes to earn a bachelor's degree in communication studies in only three years. He hopes to graduate from Kansas by summer 2008. On the court, Wright said he probably won't reach his full potential for "another five years."

"The route to getting better is to stay in college," Wright said. "The NBA is more of a skills setting."
ThaKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007, 10:55 PM   #2
thejoyofsobe
Local High School Star

thejoyofsobe has an OK reputation so far
Default Re: Julian Wright will return to Kansas for his Junior Season

If he doesn't change his mind between now and the deadline, Kansas has to be the preseason #1 team next season and a favorite to win it all.
thejoyofsobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2007, 12:21 AM   #3
i seen hippos
NBA Superstar

i seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteri seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteri seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteri seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteri seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteri seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteri seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteri seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteri seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteri seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteri seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

I'd put Ohio St. and NC over them if all of their players stayed.
i seen hippos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2007, 01:16 AM   #4
thejoyofsobe
Local High School Star

thejoyofsobe has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by i seen hippos
I'd put Ohio St. and NC over them if all of their players stayed.
You can make a case for UNC but I wouldn't put Ohio State over Kansas.

Kansas has no seniors this season and Ohio State, even if they somehow retain Greg Oden, will lose Jamar Butler and second leading scorer Ron Lewis, who seems to be the difference between winning and losing for the Buckeyes in this tournament.
thejoyofsobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2007, 01:31 AM   #5
i seen hippos
NBA Superstar

i seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteri seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteri seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteri seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteri seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteri seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteri seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteri seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteri seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteri seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteri seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

It's debatable of course, but I think if all of Ohio St's under classmen stay and improve, the team will be better because of that alone.

Then you add in the recruits including Kosta Koufos. A 7 footer who's ranked 10th in the nation by Scout.com.

Imagine all those players returning with added experience and Oden teaming up with another giant? I'm sorry, but that would make me put them at #1 ahead of NC if all of their players came back and added their recruits.
Old 03-24-2007, 08:46 AM   #6
ThaKing
Decent playground baller

ThaKing has an OK reputation so far

Kansas also has a 7 foot McDonalds All American coming next year, Cole Aldrich.
ThaKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2007, 12:55 PM   #7
GOBB
Sixers|Eagles|Phillies

GOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Joakim Noah is smiling right about now.
GOBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2007, 01:00 PM   #8
i seen hippos
NBA Superstar

Why? That just means he's more likely to play for a worse team.
Old 03-25-2007, 05:00 AM   #9
TheGame414
Decent college freshman

TheGame414 has decent reputationTheGame414 has decent reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by thejoyofsobe
You can make a case for UNC but I wouldn't put Ohio State over Kansas.

Kansas has no seniors this season and Ohio State, even if they somehow retain Greg Oden, will lose Jamar Butler and second leading scorer Ron Lewis, who seems to be the difference between winning and losing for the Buckeyes in this tournament.
Jamar Butler is a junior and will be back, and even if he wasn't, he seems out of place on this team. He clearly isn't happy to not have the ball in his hands like he did last year. He has made some big shots, I'll give him that.

If Greg Oden is back, OSU is a no-brainer No. 1. Losing Ron Lewis is made a little easier considering they have Cook, Lighty and Evan Turner to make up his production on the wing.

And if Julian Wright is back, KU is a no-brainer No. 2. As far as him saying he's coming back, how many guys need to say this and end up going pro before we collectively, as sports fans, agree to not care when they say this until the draft deadline passes? I know Julian wanted to get his degree in three years and is on track to do so, but when push comes to shove and everyone's telling him he'll go in the top half of the lottery, we'll see what happens. Personally, I do think he'll come back, but him saying as much, at this moment, means absolutely nothing if you ask me.
TheGame414 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2007, 09:10 AM   #10
GOBB
Sixers|Eagles|Phillies

GOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by i seen hippos
Why? That just means he's more likely to play for a worse team.

As if he wasnt going to initially dumbsdd? : Stock going up.
GOBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2007, 05:43 PM   #11
i seen hippos
NBA Superstar

Yes, he was going to intitially....
Old 03-26-2007, 04:24 PM   #12
BradMiller52
Kings fan

BradMiller52 has an OK reputation so far

Is anyone from Kansas ever going to leave?
BradMiller52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 01:51 PM   #13
skan72
Deep dick pizza

skan72 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterskan72 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterskan72 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterskan72 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterskan72 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterskan72 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterskan72 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterskan72 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterskan72 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Hopefully not, they'll kill next year if that is the case! Mario Chalmers, Rush, Wright, Collins, Robinson, Arthur, Jackson, Cole Aldrich coming in, wow.
skan72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 04:06 PM   #14
TheGame414
Decent college freshman

That's the same team they already have, just like the '05 team with everyone back from '04. Did they get better? No....

The 2002 Illini had nearly everyone back from 2001, including their two best players, the second-best point guard in the nation (Frank Williams) that year and one of the best big men (Brian Cook). Did they get better? No....

Can we see a pattern developing here? Self can build a fantastic roster and mold it into a very good team (actually, this is the first time he's built a fantastic roster and stuck around long enough to see it through; hard to say how good the '05 Illini would've been with Self at the helm...my guess is not a whole lot better than we were the year before), but he's yet to prove he can get a lot of improvement out of those players and get them over the hump.

Recruiting, motivating, teaching defense, yes; offensive identity, player development, preparation and in-game strategy.....maybe not so much.

Last edited by TheGame414 : 03-28-2007 at 04:08 PM.
Old 04-09-2007, 07:33 PM   #15
TheGame414
Decent college freshman

I hate to say I told you so, but, well....I kinda did.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: