Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > New York Knicks Forum

New York Knicks Forum New York Knicks forum - NY Knicks message board

Old 03-23-2007, 11:23 PM   #1
bigdaddybluesman
Local High School Star

bigdaddybluesman has an OK reputation so far
Default What I would do if I were the GM/coach of the Knicks.

OK.......here we go.

The first thing is to buy out Jerome James.

The second is to try and trade Francis for an expiring contract and maybe a young player. There has to be equality contract wise to make trades in the NBA. Other wise just buy him out too.

In the off season I would have Curry and Frye work together. I would really work on them and teach them how to have an inside out 2 man game.

I would include Lee and the new player Morris as well as Jefferies and Balkman. But the majority of time has to be spent on getting Curry and Frye working as a tandem.

Curry really needs work on his short jump shot, which will help with his very poor free throw shooting. He must also learn to play D and pass. But it has to be in the context of working with Frye as a duo.

I wonder how much time they spent in Utah running that pick and roll, which worked over and over again. I see a lot of those fundamentals when I watch teams like the Spurs. But not the Knicks we are one of the worst fundamental teams in the league.

I watched the Nets some times and they are so much better fundamentally than us. They loose because they don't have a Frye, Lee or Curry. Any one of those guys would make the Nets the dominate team. Why not us? Lee on that team would turn them into a juggernaut.

Yes Curry needs work alone but he has no clue about the players around him and what they do well. You have to know what the other players are doing so you can work together. They have been playing together 2 years and have no clue about the little nuances of each others game.

Lee, Balkman and Jefferies need work on their short jumpers to keep the other teams defense honest. Balkman and Jefferies on their free throws.

Q Rich must loose weight and work on his flexibility. He must also realize that he might not be a starter. He might be better off as a bench player because he cannot consistently give too many minutes or he will break down. It's just reality.

Collins looks like he's getting it. He just needs more confidence and work on his skills. He might turn out to be a really good SG and not a PG. But he also might be able to swing from the 1-2 and even 3.

I think Marbury gets it now and he just needs to play less minutes so he has it at the end of the season. He's getting older and not 100% by the end of the season, that hurts the team.

Nate is good coming off the bench for instant offense and energy. No more, no less.

Crawford to me is too small for the 2 and is a turnover waiting to happen. He is redundant if we keep Nate. I would rather have Crawford coming off the bench. If he can't deal with that he's trade bait. Let him work on his game to the point were he's not such a defensive liability and such a poor ball handler, but I just don't think he has it. What you see is what you get, he's a scorer off the bench. Do you think he would start on any of the top 5 teams.....no!!!!

What we need is a legit PG to back up Marbury and really distribute. I don't think Collins is the guy, I think potentially he's a better 2. that's something i would need to address in the draft and might require making some moves to move up. I don't have enough information to be specific.

What we really need most importantly is a SG that can play at a higher level. He doesn't have to be a big scorer but he has to know how to play the game. We have guys that can score and shoot, but we don't have enough guys like Q that have great all around games. Crawford is not the answer, Nate is not and Collins is about 2 years away from being that guy, if he can be.

If Morris turns out to be the real deal I think there will be a package with Frye a few other players for a true SG.

I think Zeke has mismanaged Frye's development.

With the addition of Morris and the subtraction of James and Rose(who I would ask to be a coach) we have a group of big men with awesome potential that can dominate the NBA.

But I would have them work together and learn each others every move. It's a team sport and that's the only way to get them to play Defense and work together like a well oiled machine. Hard work and time together.

The one thing that sticks out to me about the Knicks is the players spacing. They don't seem to know or understand were they are supposed to be. They loose their man defensively, hence so many open three pointers for the other teams. They also seem to have a low basketball IQ. on offense they get stagnant and don't cut to the basket because Curry hold on to the ball to long. He really should watch films of Duncan.

I do not understand why this game Zeke had Frye sitting so long on the bench. He's not going to get any better with James and Rose playing instead of him. The game was a blow out, get him in there and tell him to go for it.

Zeke's moves are baffling to me. I don't understand them.

If I were there I would have been playing Frye much more all season. He has proven to be able to deliver 20 points and close to 10 rebounds if given the chance.

I would also give each player a more defined roll so they know how they fit in. That's important for any player especially with all the young one's the Knicks have.

Hey Zeke defined Curry's role, but not Frye's.
bigdaddybluesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007, 11:48 PM   #2
skillswithaz
I bust ghosts

skillswithaz has an OK reputation so far
Default Re: What I would do if I were the GM/coach of the Knicks.

Agreed with everything you wrote...Hire Patrick Ewing and show Curry and Frye how to play basketball
skillswithaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007, 11:49 PM   #3
knickscity
Knicks Board Moderator

knickscity is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableknickscity is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableknickscity is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableknickscity is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableknickscity is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableknickscity is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableknickscity is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableknickscity is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableknickscity is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableknickscity is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableknickscity is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

I wouldn't dare hit the quote button here.

I agree with most, especially buying out JJ. They wouldn't like me as the GM. Nuff said.

As the coach, no big will be posted up around the 20 feet area raining jumpers. If you don't crash the boards, you will crash next to me.

I will challenge my pg's whomever starts must get 10 assists. And 1 steal from anyone in the backcourt at any time. Period.
I want Curry jumping to block shots. The attempt is much better than what he is doing now.

Frye would have been gone last year. We have enough wanna-be 6-11 shooting guards in the league already. You bulked up over the summer now pound the paint!!!!

They would still be doing the wind sprints they did in the beginning. For every free throw you miss in a game, determinges how many sprint you do in practice.

The game film will be reviewed every day.

The players who have earned minutes will be playing.

Just a few of what I would do.
knickscity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007, 11:54 PM   #4
skillswithaz
I bust ghosts

skillswithaz has an OK reputation so far

sounds like my basketball coach. In fact I think you are my basketball coach lol
skillswithaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2007, 12:23 AM   #5
HaNdLe ThE RoCk
NBA All-star

HaNdLe ThE RoCk has decent reputationHaNdLe ThE RoCk has decent reputation

That was a nice write up, i agree with most of the things. Lee, Balkman and Jeffries need to shoot over 400 shots a day. Hopefully Morris turns out to what he's suppose to be.

We got a first rounder for a second rounder money. Nice work zeke.

Buyout Jerome James i agree. Keep Cato and let him work on Curry in practice.
HaNdLe ThE RoCk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2007, 12:24 AM   #6
HaNdLe ThE RoCk
NBA All-star

HaNdLe ThE RoCk has decent reputationHaNdLe ThE RoCk has decent reputation

That was a nice write up, i agree with most of the things. Lee, Balkman and Jeffries need to shoot over 400 shots a day. Hopefully Morris turns out to what he's suppose to be.

We got a first rounder for a second rounder money. Nice work zeke.

Buyout Jerome James i agree. Keep Cato and let him work on Curry in practice.
HaNdLe ThE RoCk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2007, 11:12 AM   #7
Blue&Orange
NBA lottery pick

Blue&Orange is popular on this boardBlue&Orange is popular on this boardBlue&Orange is popular on this boardBlue&Orange is popular on this board

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdaddybluesman
The one thing that sticks out to me about the Knicks is the players spacing. They don't seem to know or understand were they are supposed to be. They loose their man defensively, hence so many open three pointers for the other teams.
Every coach on the NBA knows right now how to beat the Knicks... just make the PG drible to the paint, and then just pass the ball to one of the 4 open guys on the court... The knicks are(were) playing with the heart and not with the head, they want to help, if they see someone go to the basquet they will try to do something... that's a good thing, but too much of a good thing it's bad.
And that's why they suck right now, it's harder to cope with losses when you're playing with heart instead of playing with your head...
They need to go back to what they were doing and stop trying to get to the playoffs.

And i think it's time for the Knicks to trade quantity for quality... the problem is that with all this mental meltdowns, either colective or individual, we don't know 100% yet where our players stand... but i think we could get Paul Gasol... the brute force of Curry and the Finesse of Paul would be a nice pairing...
Blue&Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2007, 11:44 AM   #8
Amigo
Knicks Fan 4 Life

Amigo has an OK reputation so far

You know how you beat the Knicks? Just show up and play. That's it. No strategy is needed to take them down. It's that easy. I haven't seen any strategy on our part. No need for the other teams to take any kind of measures since we show no cohesiveness as a team or using some kind of game plan.
Amigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2007, 12:43 PM   #9
wally_world
M0derator

wally_world is considered somewhat coolwally_world is considered somewhat cool

yeah! a new GM!
wally_world is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2007, 11:43 PM   #10
bigdaddybluesman
Local High School Star

bigdaddybluesman has an OK reputation so far

I think the whole problem is Zeke talks too slow and the players tune him out.
bigdaddybluesman is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: