Originally Posted by qrich
Anyone interested in doing a weekly ISH NCAA Football Poll?
Also, Myles Jack for Heismann!
poll? as in a pick em?
anyway, first day of training camp was yesterday. how did your teams do?
fsu didn't surprise me too much considering what i knew, but here's a couple points:
- our RB corp is mean. los looks as stocky and menacing as ever. pender is a blur and cook might be stealing downs from green. i already like that cook carries the ball high and close. i said it before but i can see fsu relying on their run game much more than last season, especially early on. we have a legit 3 headed dog and teams are going to double cover greene until we get a consistent 2nd/3rd WR between green and lane/rudolph. holy shit, i just realized this team has way too many guys named green(e) and that's just on offense
- feeling less secure if winston goes down. JJ's delivery is slow as molasses. makes winston's throwing motion (one of his weak points) look fast in comparison. not sure he can make teams pay for blitzes even though he has a cannon of an arm. thankfully we have one of the best o-lines in the country, but jimbo has to coach up that release.
- not at all concerned with o-line or secondary. we can match up w/ anybody in that regard.
concerns that need to be addressed:
- who will be the leaders on defense? we need a loud leader on game day. we need a leader to go bang on doors at 5 AM for 2-a-days and keep players away from distractions. we need a leader that simply leads by example, evaluates the team and takes any players that need advice off to the side. players that won last season need to remain hungry and coach these guys up. it's a huge question mark since we lost so much leadership last season with smith, joyner and jernigan.
talent is there but leadership is a big deal in college football. you have to be as strong as your weakest point. now, i have faith in williams, darby and edwards but i just need more evidence. trey marshall looks ripped and adds even more depth to our secondary.
- the d-line. i think the starters can do a decent job but we need the reserves to step up. it's time for newberry to at least scrape his potential. he's been in the program for a couple seasons but he's 6'6", 285. same with casher. he can be that edge rusher that we need. i'm worried about he dropoff from starter to reserve. featherton is just that...a feather. he's young but he just need to redshirt this season. he's way too lean to contribute anything on the defensive end w/out getting hurt. this is more an observation, than a concern though. average weight is 293 though. our incoming class are some strong bulls, but inexperience and depth are a concern.
- WRs. who will step up as a possession receiver? losing KB hurts. who will fill in as slot? can we utilize whitfield's crazy speed on slants and screens?
folks will laugh at this and i understand. but really, it's a sad joke....you saw fsu's punter right? the guy is straight garbage. there wasn't a bigger discrepancy in talent within positions during the championship game vs auburn. auburn's punter was pinning us in between the 20 yard line and once between the 5 yard line. fsu's punter was lucky to kick it more than 30 yards and i think he had an 18 yard kick .
ok? the dude is turrrible. we had such terrible field position and i really thought he would kill our chances.
in an interview, this guy said he did better under pressure. i hope he finds himself under pressure almost being run over by a bus.
every time we had to punt, i cringed. we need to take a walk on of any sort. i can't think of a worse punter on a nat'l contender in a long time. he's the total opposite of our kicker. he sucks. he might be the nicest guy in the world but he needs to take on something other than punting, for the football gods and our eyes.