Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > College and High School Basketball Forum

College and High School Basketball Forum College basketball message board, high school basketball message board

Old 01-31-2007, 11:39 PM   #1
DatZNasty
NBA rookie of the year

Default What's So Good About Brandan Wright?

No secret I'm a Julian Wright fan but this is not intended to be a troll topic. I have watched a few UNC games including tonights, and I'm just not seeing it. 7'4 wingspan at 6'8 or 6'9 is nice, he's athletic, I've seen him hit some 3s, block some shots, but I'm not seeing greatness worthy a high pick or anything. Can I get like a breakdown of his game or something? Who's his NBA comparison, comparative upside and downside?
DatZNasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 02:33 AM   #2
wang4three
NJ Net Fan For Life.

Default Re: What's So Good About Brandan Wright?

Think of him as another Camby as I like to think. He has that mid range game with a monstrous defensive game. He can rebound, block shots, and quick hands to poke the ball away. He seems taller than Hansbrough so I have him around 6-10ish. If Camby is got the #2 pick in one of the deepest drafts of all time, I'm not surprised by Brandon Wright's ranking. I really like his game. He seems to have a knack of just knowing how to move off ball.

If he can be Camby without getting injured as much in the NBA, he's worthy of a high draft selection. Then again, his freshman year does remind me of Eddie Griffin, and we know where he wound up. I'd like to think he's more Camby than Griffin though.
wang4three is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 12:28 PM   #3
ThaKing
Decent playground baller

Quote:
Originally Posted by DatZNasty
No secret I'm a Julian Wright fan but this is not intended to be a troll topic. I have watched a few UNC games including tonights, and I'm just not seeing it. 7'4 wingspan at 6'8 or 6'9 is nice, he's athletic, I've seen him hit some 3s, block some shots, but I'm not seeing greatness worthy a high pick or anything. Can I get like a breakdown of his game or something? Who's his NBA comparison, comparative upside and downside?

Me too
ThaKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2007, 03:25 AM   #4
TheGame414
Decent college freshman

If you're wondering if Brandan Wright is that good or not, I really don't know what to tell you. He is.
TheGame414 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2007, 05:42 AM   #5
KaptnKirk12
High School Varsity 12th Man

Rock Chalk Jayhawk....Go KU
KaptnKirk12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2007, 02:15 PM   #6
Timmeh
Yes, I am a dick.

He's underrated if you ask me. While Hansbrough is getting all the attention, the overhyping of the media, the double teams...Wright is getting a lot of easy shots and highlight dunks. I'm a UNC fan and that's what I've noticed a lot of so far this year.
Timmeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007, 03:49 AM   #7
Unregistered23

You've never seen him hit a three. He hasn't attempted or made a three pointer all year. Trust me.
Old 03-19-2007, 07:32 AM   #8
melvinthompson
I hit open 5-footers

Quote:
Originally Posted by wang4three
Think of him as another Camby as I like to think. He has that mid range game with a monstrous defensive game. He can rebound, block shots, and quick hands to poke the ball away. He seems taller than Hansbrough so I have him around 6-10ish. If Camby is got the #2 pick in one of the deepest drafts of all time, I'm not surprised by Brandon Wright's ranking. I really like his game. He seems to have a knack of just knowing how to move off ball.

If he can be Camby without getting injured as much in the NBA, he's worthy of a high draft selection. Then again, his freshman year does remind me of Eddie Griffin, and we know where he wound up. I'd like to think he's more Camby than Griffin though.

I think that's a good comparison. He definitely has just as ugly of a jumpshot as Camby The strange thing is Eddie Griffin had a much better offensive game when he was a freshman in college. Anybody who watched Griffin at Seton Hall had to think that he was going to be a SUPERSTAR. I mean, the guy could do it all! I've been very disappointed with how his NBA career has progressed. Anyways, I haven't really been impressed with any of UNC's freshmen with the exception of Ellington. The rest to me have been a little disappointing. Wright definitely has athleticism and length, but he has a lot to work on when it comes to his offensive game.
melvinthompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007, 03:59 PM   #9
GOBB
Sixers|Eagles|Phillies

I see a better version of Jermaine Oneal in Brandan Wright.
GOBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007, 04:05 PM   #10
IlliniFan
Very good NBA starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOBB
I see a better version of Jermaine Oneal in Brandan Wright.
I don't know about him being better than JO.
IlliniFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007, 04:19 PM   #11
GOBB
Sixers|Eagles|Phillies

Quote:
Originally Posted by IlliniFan
I don't know about him being better than JO.

Why not? He's not now but to me he has the potential if he just works on a few things. Jumper, going right (he's lefty with a sweet hook but if you force him right he struggles), solid rebounder and shot blocker thanks to his size/wingspan (he bulks up he'll be an even better rebounder).

The potential is there. Young JO all over again.
GOBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007, 04:25 PM   #12
IlliniFan
Very good NBA starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOBB
Why not? He's not now but to me he has the potential if he just works on a few things. Jumper, going right (he's lefty with a sweet hook but if you force him right he struggles), solid rebounder and shot blocker thanks to his size/wingspan (he bulks up he'll be an even better rebounder).

The potential is there. Young JO all over again.
There are so many young big men that have tons of potential. You can never tell who's going to pan out though. He would really have to work on his jumper and start beefing up.
IlliniFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007, 12:33 PM   #13
monthh
Local High School Star

I really wouldn't be suprised to see him join the great young big men in the NBA like Howard, Bosh, and Jefferson. Or I am sure a lot of people with compare him to Jamison as well, which I think is a somewhat fair comparision. He is that type of athlete, has the length, and I think a very nice touch on his shot/baby hooks. He is always a threat to get a tip in or grab an offensive rebound. On defense he really goes after the ball. He keeps a lot of balls alive with his reach, and alters a lot of shots. Normally I would say a guy like this just needs to put all of his talents together, but I think he already has put a nice game together.

I really like Julian Wright too though. He is kind of like a small forward version of Brandan. On defense he always seems to have a chance to tip the ball on passes or shots, and he too keeps a lot of balls alive because he is so athletic and long. The knock on him is the same knock on Brandan, in the perfect world they would have a little more range on their shots. In the NBA, small forwards are expected to hit 3's. Look at Bowen. If he wasn't such a good 3 point shooter, I don't think his defense alone would make him a starter on a championship team. As with Brandan, you now except PF's to have a good mid-range/faceup game. Both players I think will improve though, and be great NBA players.

As for their draft position, maybe it is because I am a UNC fan, but I clearly think Brandan Wright should be the 3rd pick. Oden and Durrant are going to be great. You maybe have the next Shaq and the next KG/T-Mac. But if you could possibly get the next Bosh, that is nothing to shake your head at. I see Wright going in the next 4 or 5 picks, probably with Noah, Horford, Jianlian, and maybe Acie Law if he does well in workouts. I don't think going 4th to 7th in the draft is awful either. Look at where KG, Wade, Nowitzki, Pierce, Amare, Arenas have gone.
monthh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007, 12:41 PM   #14
ThaKing
Decent playground baller

I think Brandan Wright is much more developed offensively. Julian Wright is a great ball handler(for his size) and also a great passer, but he gets most of his points due to his athleticism. I think Brandan should and will be a higher pick but Julian maybe has more upside. IMO. Julian is a consistent jumpshot away from being dominant.
ThaKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007, 01:15 PM   #15
hoopsfan3409

wright is a good athlete and is a big body in the middle, give him a couple of years to develop at the college level and then we will see what he is really all about. right now though there really isn't anything all that special about him he is no Kevin Durant and he doesn't shoot free throws very well...he proved that when he missed hte ones they need to send the game to OT in Maryland.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: