Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Football Forum

Football Forum Football forum - NFL football forum

Old 09-02-2014, 08:26 PM   #76
niko
I Run NY.

niko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Re: Let's note about Michael Sam...

The cowboys have a horrific defense and terrible line depth. A situational pass rusher might benefit them more than most so they are taking a flyer.

The only strange thing to me btw about Jerry and Manziel is that he still mentions it. I don't see it as this huge miss (they have a QB) but that Jerry mentions it in interviews months later is baffling, true or not.
niko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 08:47 PM   #77
RedBlackAttack
The Paterfamilias

RedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by niko
The cowboys have a horrific defense and terrible line depth. A situational pass rusher might benefit them more than most so they are taking a flyer.

The only strange thing to me btw about Jerry and Manziel is that he still mentions it. I don't see it as this huge miss (they have a QB) but that Jerry mentions it in interviews months later is baffling, true or not.
Totally agree, especially since Manziel has looked less than stellar in the limited opportunities that he has had. He is still really struggling with the playbook, his accuracy -- especially while in the pocket and on deep/intermediate routes -- has been atrocious, and he was just beaten out (relatively easily) by Brian Hoyer.

The two things he has shows so far is that he is sometimes good when improvising, has better accuracy/decision making qualities when he breaks contain, and that he can be a threat as a runner... basically all of the things that we assumed about him coming into the league.

I'm just going to go ahead and assume Jerry hasn't watched many Browns preseason games. Or, if he has, he doesn't know much about football.

On this Michael Sam topic, I always thought it was a complete non-story created by the media to generate controversy. I'm not saying that there aren't still bigots out there, and some are probably in the NFL. But, to turn Michael Sam's entrance into the NFL as some sort of incredible ongoing saga... he's just another really talented football player in a league chalk full of talented guys.

If the media wants to continue this constant obsession with Michael Sam, that's where they need to focus. His being cut was a numbers game, just like every other amazing athlete that was given their walking papers in the last week.

The question isn't whether or not the NFL is 'ready' for an openly gay player. It is now (a) is there a team who can use a situational pass rushing defensive end and (b) if not, can Sam continue to add to his game to become a more complete player. He has the physical tools to play in the NFL. It looks like Dallas may be the place to hone his craft. I'd be happy to see him do it.
RedBlackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 11:04 PM   #78
~primetime~
~the original p.tiddy~

~primetime~ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster~primetime~ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster~primetime~ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster~primetime~ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster~primetime~ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster~primetime~ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster~primetime~ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster~primetime~ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster~primetime~ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster~primetime~ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster~primetime~ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

The only reason Jerry keeps mentioning Manziel is because the media keeps hounding him over it. They've been trying to link him to Manziel since before the draft.

Jerry takes the bait though.

IMO the weird part is that that what Jerry is saying now completely contradicts what he was saying after the draft, that Manziel wasn't given any thought at all.

Oh well I don't care, getting tired of the Manziel in Dallas talk. If it is true then I feel a lot better about Stephen Jones who seems to have his head on his shoulders and isn't afraid to stand up to his dad.
~primetime~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 11:11 PM   #79
~primetime~
~the original p.tiddy~

~primetime~ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster~primetime~ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster~primetime~ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster~primetime~ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster~primetime~ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster~primetime~ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster~primetime~ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster~primetime~ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster~primetime~ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster~primetime~ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster~primetime~ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Also Sam IS a story in my opinion. He is the first openly gay man in the NFL. While it's not the same as Jackie Robinson it is still a story.

Perhaps ESPN and other media outlets are running too hard with it, but there are a lot of people that genuinely care.

Sam was trending on Twitter today, because of peoples interest, and I read dozens upon dozens of messages wishing the guy well. A lot of people out there 'care'. Just because you feel like it's a nonstory doesn't mean it is for others.

Also no one here knows what he has had to endure but him. Maybe it wasn't much or maybe he'll write a book later where he states he was suicidal.
Old 09-03-2014, 01:15 AM   #80
StateProperty
Sixers|Eagles|Phillies

StateProperty has an incredible reputation hereStateProperty has an incredible reputation hereStateProperty has an incredible reputation hereStateProperty has an incredible reputation hereStateProperty has an incredible reputation hereStateProperty has an incredible reputation hereStateProperty has an incredible reputation hereStateProperty has an incredible reputation here

StateProperty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 06:05 PM   #81
niko
I Run NY.

niko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~primetime~
Also Sam IS a story in my opinion. He is the first openly gay man in the NFL. While it's not the same as Jackie Robinson it is still a story.

Perhaps ESPN and other media outlets are running too hard with it, but there are a lot of people that genuinely care.

Sam was trending on Twitter today, because of peoples interest, and I read dozens upon dozens of messages wishing the guy well. A lot of people out there 'care'. Just because you feel like it's a nonstory doesn't mean it is for others.

Also no one here knows what he has had to endure but him. Maybe it wasn't much or maybe he'll write a book later where he states he was suicidal.

Why would he be suicidal unless he had mental issues? He seems very comfortable being gay, he'd wear rainbow sneakers if it was allowed. The league has all but issued an idict saying no one better do anything to him. You think he's having problems now? Maybe in college, not now. Shit, if he was straight and in the same situation i'm not sure the cowboys sign him.

BTW, he's gone from "can he make the rams" to "can he start for the cowboys" which is insane. No knock on the cowboys, rather how the coverage is different. Give him another month on Dallas and people will be talking about the all pro on the practice squad.
Old 09-03-2014, 06:14 PM   #82
~primetime~
~the original p.tiddy~

Quote:
Why would he be suicidal unless he had mental issues? He seems very comfortable being gay, he'd wear rainbow sneakers if it was allowed. The league has all but issued an idict saying no one better do anything to him. You think he's having problems now? Maybe in college, not now. Shit, if he was straight and in the same situation i'm not sure the cowboys sign him.

BTW, he's gone from "can he make the rams" to "can he start for the cowboys" which is insane. No knock on the cowboys, rather how the coverage is different. Give him another month on Dallas and people will be talking about the all pro on the practice squad.
The Vikings player that came out said he was suicidal all through his NFL days...he said if he had come out they would have injured him, he had to use the word "f@g" daily to fit in, etc etc

I'm not sure why you are under the impression that being gay in the NFL is some cake walk and homophobia isn't an issue there. Half the players in the NFL have grade school educations and grew up on the street.
Old 09-03-2014, 06:21 PM   #83
~primetime~
~the original p.tiddy~

http://www.amazon.com/Alone-Trenches.../dp/1402209231

^^^ Esera Tuaolo, this guy wrote a book about how awful it was to be gay in the NFL.

He is also currently working with the NFL to combat homophobia in the league
Old 09-03-2014, 06:27 PM   #84
Bless Mathews
Fucc Darrell Bevell!!!

Bless Mathews has one of the lowest reputations on this boardBless Mathews has one of the lowest reputations on this boardBless Mathews has one of the lowest reputations on this boardBless Mathews has one of the lowest reputations on this boardBless Mathews has one of the lowest reputations on this boardBless Mathews has one of the lowest reputations on this boardBless Mathews has one of the lowest reputations on this boardBless Mathews has one of the lowest reputations on this board

Quote:
Originally Posted by StateProperty
Bwahahahahahaga
Bless Mathews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 06:29 PM   #85
niko
I Run NY.

Quote:
The Vikings player that came out said he was suicidal all through his NFL days...he said if he had come out they would have injured him, he had to use the word "f@g" daily to fit in, etc etc

I'm not sure why you are under the impression that being gay in the NFL is some cake walk and homophobia isn't an issue there. Half the players in the NFL have grade school educations and grew up on the street.
We had this discussion already. Is your life the same as the life on a person who was abused and had to hide their identity their whole life but is straight? Just because you are straight?

You are comparing Michael Sam, proud of being gay, who announced it to try to profit from it (dude wanted to film it and show on tv), and who is being signed by the Cowboys because of it (partially, he makes sense football wise to) in a league which has threatened it's players to behave vs. a player from the league before, who revelled in that stuff, and had to pretend he was not gay.

It's amazing to me that you think it's similar. Outside of the words gay and football, it's 100% different. I've always been of the mind that part of his announcing it is to cash in on it. No hate, he's a marginal player, he's not going to make $20MM (although he's a cowboy now so maybe he will).

Last edited by niko : 09-03-2014 at 06:31 PM.
Old 09-03-2014, 06:31 PM   #86
niko
I Run NY.

Is it still ok for me to say "the cowboys are gay?" Even with the double meaning?
Old 09-03-2014, 06:37 PM   #87
~primetime~
~the original p.tiddy~

Quote:
We had this discussion already. Is your life the same as the life on a person who was abused and had to hide their identity their whole life but is straight? Just because you are straight?

You are comparing Michael Sam, proud of being gay, who announced it to try to profit from it (dude wanted to film it and show on tv), and who is being signed by the Cowboys because of it (partially, he makes sense football wise to) in a league which has threatened it's players to behave vs. a player from the league before, who revelled in that stuff, and had to pretend he was not gay.

It's amazing to me that you think it's similar. Outside of the words gay and football, it's 100% different. I've always been of the mind that part of his announcing it is to cash in on it. No hate, he's a marginal player, he's not going to make $20MM (although he's a cowboy now so maybe he will).
I said maybe it will be easy or maybe he will be suicidal like Esera Tuaolo...

You have already made the assumption that his journey as a gay man in the NFL will be easy before it has even started. I don't understand why you are on a mission to declare homophobia is no longer an issue in the league. We know from Esera that homophobia is rampant in the NFL just 10 years ago.
Old 09-03-2014, 06:53 PM   #88
FUTØN
Decent playground baller

FUTØN is considered somewhat coolFUTØN is considered somewhat coolFUTØN is considered somewhat cool

Sam not having to pretend makes it a lot easier, and I assume the coaching staff would discourage him being mistreated. I still wouldn't call his journey easy but his struggles won't mirror Tuaolo's.

As an aside, the Cowboys are bringing back Josh Brent after his suspension so yeah they are desperate. That seems like it should be a bigger distraction although it seems like the team has supported him throughout.
FUTØN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 07:29 PM   #89
~primetime~
~the original p.tiddy~

Sam is just on the Dallas practice squad right now, but assuming that he were to play an entire 15 years as a starter (probably unlikely) then I would think that he would have several run ins with homophobia in that time. Especially after things have died down a little.

Honestly I don't think it is out of the question that there were issues on the Rams in the locker room, him not making their practice squad is puzzling IMO.
Old 09-03-2014, 09:34 PM   #90
niko
I Run NY.

Quote:
Sam is just on the Dallas practice squad right now, but assuming that he were to play an entire 15 years as a starter (probably unlikely) then I would think that he would have several run ins with homophobia in that time. Especially after things have died down a little.

Honestly I don't think it is out of the question that there were issues on the Rams in the locker room, him not making their practice squad is puzzling IMO.
You already decided a long time ago he'd have tons of problems. There is no evidence of any problems but you are creating underlying secret problems. Whatever gets you going...

Note: Having a run in with homophobia here and there is not overwhelming problems. That's normal. Here and there. But IMO (and people i've known) not having to hide it is much less stressful.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: