Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 03-28-2007, 04:36 PM   #1
theinfamousmobb
Local High School Star
 
theinfamousmobb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Miami
Posts: 551
Default Is this car good for 5 grand?


Its my 18th birthday next week and lucky me I get 5 grand for a new car
'98 Acura 3.5RL, 100k miles, I know its alot of miles but for the price I couldnt find a decent looking car with better mileage.
theinfamousmobb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 04:38 PM   #2
Jabes
Banned
 
Jabes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 608
Default Re: Is this car good for 5 grand?

Do you get to keep the flags?
Jabes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 04:40 PM   #3
theinfamousmobb
Local High School Star
 
theinfamousmobb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Miami
Posts: 551
Default Re: Is this car good for 5 grand?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabes
Do you get to keep the flags?
I hope so.
theinfamousmobb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 04:46 PM   #4
Voice of Reason
Local High School Star
 
Voice of Reason's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: BANitentiary
Posts: 978
Default Re: Is this car good for 5 grand?

Get rid of the rims and take off the flags. What else is wrong with it? It does have a lot of miles. But you figure on avg a car can put up 15,000 miles per year. That car is about 8yrs old so the mileage per year comes to about 12,500. Eh, not bad. Chances of you selling that car again and getting anywhere close to what you shelled out are very slim. But for a first car...at your age...you can milk that car for the time being until you graduate college, get a job and can afford one of your likes.

So lookin at it minus the rims/flags its a nice ride.

For what its worth I found my mom a Geo Prism, ugly color green...not money green but a i cant describe it green. That said, $5,000 for it with extremely low mileage. Think it has 30-33,000 miles. Same age as that car. An old lady drove it to the store and back. Didnt use it much which is why the low mileage, in good condition...no accidents or anything. So that ride is better than the one i got my mom (considering she aint gonna be driving it much noways). More miles yea but again for a first car with $5,000 to spend not bad. You're not gonna find much better with low miles, better look without any history of problems.

Is that the car you're gonna get or you're contemplating it?
Voice of Reason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 04:48 PM   #5
Jabes
Banned
 
Jabes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 608
Default Re: Is this car good for 5 grand?

I don't think so. It seems to me your paying more money for a nicer manufacturer (acura) and also some custom rims (are those custom?).

With five grand I would concentrate on finding the most reliable car you can find. In the end you'd rather have a car that runs than one that looks nice sitting on your driveway. I'd look into a used toyota corolla or honda civic, those things run forever.
Jabes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 04:55 PM   #6
Voice of Reason
Local High School Star
 
Voice of Reason's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: BANitentiary
Posts: 978
Default Re: Is this car good for 5 grand?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabes
I don't think so. It seems to me your paying more money for a nicer manufacturer (acura) and also some custom rims (are those custom?).

With five grand I would concentrate on finding the most reliable car you can find. In the end you'd rather have a car that runs than one that looks nice sitting on your driveway. I'd look into a used toyota corolla or honda civic, those things run forever.

I never had problems with Acuras.
Voice of Reason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 04:56 PM   #7
theinfamousmobb
Local High School Star
 
theinfamousmobb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Miami
Posts: 551
Default Re: Is this car good for 5 grand?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voice of Reason
Get rid of the rims and take off the flags. What else is wrong with it? It does have a lot of miles. But you figure on avg a car can put up 15,000 miles per year. That car is about 8yrs old so the mileage per year comes to about 12,500. Eh, not bad. Chances of you selling that car again and getting anywhere close to what you shelled out are very slim. But for a first car...at your age...you can milk that car for the time being until you graduate college, get a job and can afford one of your likes.

So lookin at it minus the rims/flags its a nice ride.

For what its worth I found my mom a Geo Prism, ugly color green...not money green but a i cant describe it green. That said, $5,000 for it with extremely low mileage. Think it has 30-33,000 miles. Same age as that car. An old lady drove it to the store and back. Didnt use it much which is why the low mileage, in good condition...no accidents or anything. So that ride is better than the one i got my mom (considering she aint gonna be driving it much noways). More miles yea but again for a first car with $5,000 to spend not bad. You're not gonna find much better with low miles, better look without any history of problems.

Is that the car you're gonna get or you're contemplating it?

Contemplating, I have spent lots of time on Autotrader looking for a better deal but this is the one that sticks out...
theinfamousmobb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 05:04 PM   #8
Jabes
Banned
 
Jabes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 608
Default Re: Is this car good for 5 grand?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voice of Reason
I never had problems with Acuras.
I didn't mean to say acuras are unreiliable, just that he'll probably end up paying more for one since its a nicer brand than say a honda or toyota.
Jabes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 05:09 PM   #9
statman32
NBA Legend
 
statman32's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 15,401
Default Re: Is this car good for 5 grand?

Auctions are the way to go. I got a 06 White Chevy Cobalt for $1700 at a auction. It had a lil front end damage that I fixed up for about $500. Nothing that affected the engine. It only had 1700 miles.

If you go to auctions you can find a lot of nice cars at cheap prices because insurance companies just decide its not worth fixing.
statman32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 05:09 PM   #10
theinfamousmobb
Local High School Star
 
theinfamousmobb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Miami
Posts: 551
Default Re: Is this car good for 5 grand?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabes
I didn't mean to say acuras are unreiliable, just that he'll probably end up paying more for one since its a nicer brand than say a honda or toyota.
I know what you mean, but imma stick with this car for a a few years, 3-5 till I gradute with my college degree and get me a real car, so I want something that wont give me an eyesore till then...
theinfamousmobb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 05:47 PM   #11
different107
National High School Star
 
different107's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: michigan
Posts: 1,637
Default Re: Is this car good for 5 grand?

Statman is right. I've known people that got some great deals at auctions.
different107 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 05:53 PM   #12
Jabes
Banned
 
Jabes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 608
Default Re: Is this car good for 5 grand?

Are those auctions open to the public? I heard that for some auctions you need some kind of pass, like the police auctions where they auction off confiscated items from drug busts etc...
Jabes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 05:53 PM   #13
ALBballer
Religion? LOL? WTF?
 
ALBballer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 8,541
Default Re: Is this car good for 5 grand?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabes
Do you get to keep the flags?

:
ALBballer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 05:55 PM   #14
i seen hippos
NBA Superstar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 14,991
Default Re: Is this car good for 5 grand?

I gotta $30,000 car with leather seats, power windows, heated seats, sun roof, etc.

had it since i was 16 cause i'm that successful.
i seen hippos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 05:56 PM   #15
statman32
NBA Legend
 
statman32's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 15,401
Default Re: Is this car good for 5 grand?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabes
Are those auctions open to the public? I heard that for some auctions you need some kind of pass, like the police auctions where they auction off confiscated items from drug busts etc...

Sometimes you need some sort of pass but there are also a lot more that you just give them some personal info and you're in. They even have some online car auctions for you lazy people.
statman32 is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by:
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:56 AM.




NBA Basketball Forum Key Links:
InsideHoops Home
NBA Rumors
Basketball Blog
NBA Daily Recaps
NBA Videos
Fantasy Basketball
NBA Mock Draft
NBA Free Agents
All-Star Weekend
---
High School Basketball
Streetball
---
InsideHoops Twitter
Search Our Site













Powered by vBulletin Version 3.5.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. Terms of Use/Service | Privacy Policy