Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > College and High School Basketball Forum

College and High School Basketball Forum College basketball message board, high school basketball message board

Old 03-28-2007, 05:40 PM   #16
larrysbird

Angry Re: Is Oden over-rated?

Quote:
Originally Posted by wang4three
He's only overrated to those who are comparing him to Shaq's, David Robinson's, or Hakeem's NBA careers.

To those who realize he's an 18 year old leading the team in points, rebounds, blocks and to the Final Four, he's everything we'd expect him to be. He's a freshman, can't expect much more than what he's doing now.If you look at the other guys' freshman years he's better than them.
I agree , he's the best freshmen center I've ever seen. I seldom appreciate a player the first time i saw them. but man he moves like a pg :)
Old 03-29-2007, 11:44 AM   #17
hoopsfan3409

Default Re: Is Oden over-rated?

oden is definately overrated i have watched him play at least 10 times and i am not impressed with his game. he just seems like another average 7 footer he is nothing special...nnow kevin durant i was more than impressed with him he should be player of the year and oden should stay in college a few more years he is not nearly good enough for the NBA and he doens't have any face-up he is back the the basket traditional post player..not going to be good for his NBA career.
Old 03-30-2007, 12:46 AM   #18
TheGame414
Decent college freshman

Hoopsfan, unless you're a mediocre troll, you're no longer allowed to watch basketball, much less have an opinion on it.
TheGame414 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2007, 12:57 AM   #19
Game414=KUNT

LOL, How does Ewing only "have a shot" at the hall of fame. He's a lock for sure.
Old 03-30-2007, 12:59 AM   #20
TheGame414
Decent college freshman

That's not even one of the five best anti-me usernames ever, and it's called the "Ewing Theory" for a reason. He'll most likely make it, but in my world he isn't a lock. Very good numbers, good- but not great- teams, but he doesn't come close to measuring up to Hakeem, Shaq, or Duncan in my eyes, or even David Robinson.
TheGame414 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2007, 10:43 AM   #21
huppcap
Local High School Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGame414
I'm not even reading this thread after the first post, because the first post made me want to kill someone. Along with Durant he's the first freshman to be a first-team All-American (and deservingly so) since 1989.

Look at what the other elite centers and did as freshmen.

Shaq: 13.9 ppg, 12.0 rpg, 3.6 bpg, .573 FG%.

Zo: 13.1, 7.0, 5.0, .603.

Duncan: 9.8, 9.6, 3.8, .545.

David Robinson: 7.6, 4.0, 1.3, .623.

Brad Daugherty: 8.2, 5.2, 1.0, .558.

Patrick Ewing: 12.7, 7.5, 3.2, .631.

Akeem: 8.3, 6.2, 2.5, .607.

Ralph Sampson: 14.9, 11.2, 4.6, .547.

Those are the seven centers drafted No. 1 out of college in the last 25 years, as well as Mourning, who was No. 2 behind Shaq in '93 and would've been No. 1 in lots of other years. Four of them are sure-fire Hall of Famers and Top 10 all-time centers, and two others (Mourning and Ewing) have shots at the Hall of Fame as well and are Top 20 all-time centers. All of them averaged 20 and 10. So, it's safe to assume that 7-footers (yes, I know Akeem was only 6'10" or so; bear with me) that are highly accomplished college players that go No. 1 in the draft are going to fare pretty damn well.

Yet as freshmen, those eight averaged 11.1 points, 7.8 points, 2.5 blocks, and .586% from the field.

Greg Oden's freshman numbers: 15.4 points, 9.5 rebounds, 3.3 blocks, .616% FG. In other words, he has far outperformed some of them statistically, and hasn't been truly outperformed by any of them.

Now, statistics don't mean much without context or perspective. Certainly some of those guys' numbers were lower than they would be in later years because of slower play pre-shot clock. Some were on loaded teams that kept their numbers down, but then again, so is Oden. Were he on a team that needed to go to him time and time again, he may not be shooting 62% but I have little doubt that he could average 20+ points, either. Also, I don't think any of those guys started their frosh year with a major injury to their dominant hand that forced them to play primarily with their off-hand, but I know Oden did.

And when people talk about Oden's need to develop offensively- and sure, he does- they seem to forget where those guys were, skillwise, as freshman. Olajuwon certainly hadn't mastered the "Dreamshake" yet. Ewing wasn't the masterful outside shooter he later became. Many ignorant fans think Shaq has been nothing but an oversize brute force throughout his NBA career, but as a college freshman, that really is all he was at that point. He sure as hell hadn't yet developed the footwork, the jumphook, or the short baseline turnaround that became staples of his repetoire.

Teamwise? Ewing was the only one of those eight to lead his team to the Final Four as a freshman; only three of the eight-Ewing, Akeem and Sampson- ever made it to a Final Four throughout their careers.

All of this means the following: Greg Oden is at least on the curve with the greats of the last 25 years, and arguably far ahead of it.

He is not overhyped.

He is not overrated.

If you were expecting more, your expectations were wildly unrealistic and without any sort of historical merit.

Does he have work do to? Upper-body strength to develop, post moves and outside touch to refine? Sure. Big men take longer to develop, physically and fundamentally. Makes sense that it would be harder for them than a guard, considering how remarkable it is that such an enormous human would simply have the coordination of elite basketball centers, much less the athleticism, endurance and talent.

All things considered, it's pretty remarkable how far along Oden actually is.

You do your homework.

Good argument.

I am sure he will be a top notch centre in the NBA. He is a good college player and I would like to see him play another year in college to develop but that probably won't happen.

I can't say I remember the hype these other guys got way back when. I don't think at the age of 14 they were getting as much hype as Oden has and did. It seems it has been years that the name Greg Oden has been around. These days kids are getting hyped as the next big one when they are not even a teenager yet. It can be a bit ridiculous.

But hey these days it's all about money. Boosters, agents, etc. The media constantly barrades us with information because every media outlet is in competition to get the most information out to the public about the next possible superstar.

And then of course these kids have their own website marketing themselves or someone in their family or someone else with a huge financial interest in them is doing it. It's the marketing machine out of control.
huppcap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2007, 11:02 AM   #22
baseketball4life
NBA Superstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by huppcap
I have heard about this guy for 3 years now constantly that he was the next coming of Shaq or even better. I have to say I expected more.

Sure he moves pretty good for a big guy and physically is gifted. I know he was injured to begin the season and maybe his wrist is still not 100% but with all the hype I would have expected this guy to average 25 points, 15 rebounds and 5 blocks per game.

Am I missing something here?
oden is not over rated at all. for the amount of times he gets the ball in the game he is very efficient. last game he was like 7-8 on FG's. If he was the no.1 scoring option he could easily be putting up 28 a night but they have lewis,conley, cook and others who all can score. oden is the best college player right now with durant a far second.
baseketball4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2007, 12:52 AM   #23
bruinballer
Decent playground baller

I'd really need Oden to actually stay in a game when his team needs him to really give him the props this thread is doing... i mean, 2 fouls in 2 minutes hurt his team (yeah, ironic, a bruin mentioning this, i know, but it still is relevant)... for OSU, Conley is far more dependable... Oden needs to stop getting into early foul trouble to truly be a threat in the NBA.. hard to scare people riding the pine...
bruinballer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2007, 01:22 PM   #24
kingjamez023
Can barely lace up my sneakers

for some reason, i think he's one of those guys that will be better in the nba than college b/c of the different pace and setup of plays.
kingjamez023 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2007, 02:05 PM   #25
JohnnySic
green is good

People are too hung up on stats. Oden is NOT overrated. He has a physical impact on a game that only the truly great big men have. The number of shots he blocks or changes, and the way he discourages players from driving into the lane - that's controlling a game without scoring, and is the hallmark of a great big.
JohnnySic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2007, 03:30 PM   #26
skan72
Deep dick pizza

This is a joke, as TheGame414's argument points out all the other centers as freshman didn't have years as good as Oden's. He is not overrated at all, he most likely will be one of the greatest big men ever. I can't believe people think he is overrated.
skan72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2007, 04:38 PM   #27
baseketball4life
NBA Superstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnySic
People are too hung up on stats. Oden is NOT overrated. He has a physical impact on a game that only the truly great big men have. The number of shots he blocks or changes, and the way he discourages players from driving into the lane - that's controlling a game without scoring, and is the hallmark of a great big.
i agree
baseketball4life is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: