Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 03-28-2007, 01:58 PM   #1
L.Kizzle
ISH's Negro Historian

L.Kizzle has an incredible reputation hereL.Kizzle has an incredible reputation hereL.Kizzle has an incredible reputation hereL.Kizzle has an incredible reputation hereL.Kizzle has an incredible reputation hereL.Kizzle has an incredible reputation hereL.Kizzle has an incredible reputation here
Default What happened to the Black Band in music.

I would like to know what the hell has happened to the black band. Its like they never even existed before. I hope I can get some respoonse because I amde a topic on this about 8-9 months ago to no replies.

When was the last time you have heard of a black band? Hmmm ... The only current black bands with a record label is the Roots and Robrt Randolph and the Family Band they basically had to change their style up just to get a major label deal. The 1950's, 1960's, 1970's, 1980's and even the early 1990's, you had black bands playing real music like soul/funk. The last black bands to come out include Tony Tone Toni, Mint Condition and Guy and Jodeci to some exstent.

I mean, there is White and Latina bands everywhere, buts its like the blacks have given up on the concept of the band. Why do you think this is?
L.Kizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 02:00 PM   #2
Rasheed1
3-time NBA All-Star

Rasheed1 has an incredible reputation hereRasheed1 has an incredible reputation hereRasheed1 has an incredible reputation hereRasheed1 has an incredible reputation hereRasheed1 has an incredible reputation hereRasheed1 has an incredible reputation hereRasheed1 has an incredible reputation here
Default Re: What happened to the Black Band in music.

Sampling and hip-hop killed the black band....

who needs a band when you can sample all your music, sing the lead, use computers to modify your voice and then keep all the money when you get paid?
Rasheed1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 02:05 PM   #3
DatZNasty
NBA rookie of the year

DatZNasty is considered somewhat coolDatZNasty is considered somewhat coolDatZNasty is considered somewhat cool

why be in a band when you can release cornyass lyrics like

"I'm hot cuz I'm fly, you ain't cuz you not,
this is why, this is why, this is why I'm hot"

and become a millionaire? Particularly anything coming from the South, is written on about a 2nd grade level. I understand many of them are "club songs" but it's still ridiculous
DatZNasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 02:05 PM   #4
SomeBunghole
Banned

SomeBunghole has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rasheed1
Sampling and hip-hop killed the black band....

who needs a band when you can sample all your music, sing the lead, use computers to modify your voice and then keep all the money when you get paid?

Just like punk killed the white band.
SomeBunghole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 02:06 PM   #5
saKf
Roy = my new fave.

saKf is a pretty well-respected postersaKf is a pretty well-respected postersaKf is a pretty well-respected postersaKf is a pretty well-respected poster

It'd be nice if all these popular people made actual music. Or if actual music was what's popular.
saKf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 02:07 PM   #6
DeuceWallaces
I am your density

DeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

All cyclical. Pop music is single vocalist centric right now, as it was in the 80's. There were tons of black bands in the 90's, 60's, early 70's and there will continue to be plenty more. Outside of the Temptaions, my favorites would be:

Shai
Boys To Men
H-Town (this ones going out to all the ladies)
New Edition
BBD
112 I always thought were funny
KC and Jo-Jo/Jodeci
Thin Lizzy/Living Color for rock
DeuceWallaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 02:08 PM   #7
ChuckOakley
NBA lottery pick

ChuckOakley is popular on this boardChuckOakley is popular on this boardChuckOakley is popular on this boardChuckOakley is popular on this boardChuckOakley is popular on this board

One of the most acclaimed bands of 2006 was TV on the Radio.
ChuckOakley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 02:13 PM   #8
DeuceWallaces
I am your density

DeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeBunghole
Just like punk killed the white band.

Do tell.

70's arena rock leads to punk backlash
Punk backlash leads to 80's extravagance (Crue/Poison/D Leppard)
80's glam backlash leads to 90's grunge
hardly backlash, but grunge goes mainstream and leads to 90's modern rock
that leads us to our current state of single driven pop music like 60's and 70's pop

there will prolly be some sort of backlash from the over-topness of rock and Hip-pop right now back to a punk/grungy and people will be *****ing about all the depressing rock bands

I don't see how Punk killed white bands
Old 03-28-2007, 02:13 PM   #9
0ne50
Local High School Star

0ne50 has an OK reputation so far

everybody's a solo act nowadays, that's what happened.
0ne50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 02:17 PM   #10
L.Kizzle
ISH's Negro Historian

L.Kizzle has an incredible reputation hereL.Kizzle has an incredible reputation hereL.Kizzle has an incredible reputation hereL.Kizzle has an incredible reputation hereL.Kizzle has an incredible reputation hereL.Kizzle has an incredible reputation hereL.Kizzle has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeuceWallaces
All cyclical. Pop music is single vocalist centric right now, as it was in the 80's. There were tons of black bands in the 90's, 60's, early 70's and there will continue to be plenty more. Outside of the Temptaions, my favorites would be:

Shai
Boys To Men
H-Town (this ones going out to all the ladies)
New Edition
BBD
112 I always thought were funny
KC and Jo-Jo/Jodeci
Thin Lizzy/Living Color for rock

I see what your talking about, but I mean black BANDS as in black folk that play instruments. Some one like Parliament/Earth Wind and Fire/Cameo somebosy like that. Those are R&B groups, and while they might be crappy (B2K/Pretty Ricky) they still exist.
Old 03-28-2007, 02:19 PM   #11
adamcz
Bucks fan

adamcz is considered somewhat cooladamcz is considered somewhat cooladamcz is considered somewhat cool

Branford Marsalis
Wynton Marsalis
Joshua Redman
Roy Hargrove
Nicholas Payton
Terence Blanchard

You want me to get going, I could name you 100 black guys with bands who play instruments.
adamcz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 02:21 PM   #12
pete's montreux
Blu Ray™ Savant

pete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

I think only one or two black bands have been mentioned so far.

. . and the last good black band before the 00's was Living Colour.

bands = playing instruments
pete's montreux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 02:23 PM   #13
Rasheed1
3-time NBA All-Star

Rasheed1 has an incredible reputation hereRasheed1 has an incredible reputation hereRasheed1 has an incredible reputation hereRasheed1 has an incredible reputation hereRasheed1 has an incredible reputation hereRasheed1 has an incredible reputation hereRasheed1 has an incredible reputation here

Sampling technology killed the popular bands.....

You'll have your jazz artists and musical purists who will still play instruments and they will always be around...

But I dont know that it will come back in popular music.....
Rasheed1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 02:32 PM   #14
DeuceWallaces
I am your density

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamcz
Branford Marsalis
Wynton Marsalis
Joshua Redman
Roy Hargrove
Nicholas Payton
Terence Blanchard

You want me to get going, I could name you 100 black guys with bands who play instruments.

Ha, no one wants to listen to that. Who wants to sit down and listen to contemp jazz other than working jazz musicians and old folks strollin through the bookstore when you can pop in some Lee Morgan, Miles, Horace, Coltrane, Donaldson, Adderley.... and on and on.

OP wants bands with instruments, prolly not. Unless you count MPC's and Turntables, which is definitely arguable.
Old 03-28-2007, 02:32 PM   #15
L.Kizzle
ISH's Negro Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamcz
Branford Marsalis
Wynton Marsalis
Joshua Redman
Roy Hargrove
Nicholas Payton
Terence Blanchard

Well I know nthose guys have bands and all, but I'm talking about in popular music. Were is the next Ohio Players or the next Slave.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: