Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 03-27-2007, 05:15 PM   #1
bokes15
Playoffs!

bokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default In a predicament, what would you do?

I have a situation on my hands. Here's what it is: I have this friend and he's known my roommate since the 1st grade (but they were more of acquaintances than friends). For spring break my friend wasn't able to go home so he thought of an idea so that he'd be able to have some fun. He then asked my roommate to borrow his car, made a duplicate key, and told me about it later. I thought it was kind of a bad idea but at the same time i'm not too fond of my roommate so I just told my friend, be careful with the car, fill the tank when you're done, and reset the odometer. He did NONE of these things. He used 500 miles, AND he left the tank empty so my roommate found out quickly that it was used. He then went to campus security and got the record of who was driving his car. So now my roommate talked to my friend, got money for the gas, but yet he's planning to go to the cops and sue. So now i'm wondering whether I should tell my roommate that I knew about it, or if i should just keep my mouth shut?
bokes15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2007, 05:17 PM   #2
The_Masterplan
Banned

The_Masterplan has an OK reputation so far
Default Re: In a predicament, what would you do?

You might be able to help the situation if you do say you knew about it.
The_Masterplan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2007, 05:21 PM   #3
KINGofTHEcourt
Banned

KINGofTHEcourt has an OK reputation so far

Keep quiet, or you could get in trouble. If you're roommate is a total dick he could probably get you in trouble for this somehow.
KINGofTHEcourt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2007, 05:23 PM   #4
bokes15
Playoffs!

bokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

The problem is that knowing the type of person my roommate is, he'd probably get me in sh!t if he knew that I knew about it. But at the same time if I don't say anything, my friend might get the truth dragged out of him if investigated and then i might be in even worse trouble.
Old 03-27-2007, 05:29 PM   #5
L.Kizzle
ISH's Negro Historian

L.Kizzle has an incredible reputation hereL.Kizzle has an incredible reputation hereL.Kizzle has an incredible reputation hereL.Kizzle has an incredible reputation hereL.Kizzle has an incredible reputation hereL.Kizzle has an incredible reputation hereL.Kizzle has an incredible reputation here

I would get yuor roommate, sit down with him and tell him everything that happened. Go to him like a man and say "here's what happened" be sincere about it, tell him you'll (or the friend that borrowed/stole the car) will pay for everything.
L.Kizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2007, 05:33 PM   #6
bokes15
Playoffs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by L.Kizzle
I would get yuor roommate, sit down with him and tell him everything that happened. Go to him like a man and say "here's what happened" be sincere about it, tell him you'll (or the friend that borrowed/stole the car) will pay for everything.

My friend already reimbursed him, but he's still going to the cops because he feels that it's something that should be punished by law.
Old 03-27-2007, 05:39 PM   #7
statman32
NBA Legend

statman32 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterstatman32 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterstatman32 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterstatman32 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterstatman32 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterstatman32 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterstatman32 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterstatman32 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterstatman32 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterstatman32 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by bokes15
My friend already reimbursed him, but he's still going to the cops because he feels that it's something that should be punished by law.

Keep your mouth shut.
statman32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2007, 05:45 PM   #8
The_Masterplan
Banned

The_Masterplan has an OK reputation so far

Nevermind keep your mouth shut. It all depends on what you THINK you can do to pursuade your friend not to take legal action.
The_Masterplan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2007, 05:49 PM   #9
haterofhaters
Fantasy Forum Mod

haterofhaters is popular on this boardhaterofhaters is popular on this boardhaterofhaters is popular on this boardhaterofhaters is popular on this boardhaterofhaters is popular on this board

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Masterplan
Nevermind keep your mouth shut. It all depends on what you THINK you can do to pursuade your friend not to take legal action.
Yeah, seems like your best bet would be to convince him against taking legal action. How you do that is your choice, i'd suggest telling him that it's not that serious since he got his money back, but by the sounds of things don't tell him that you knew.
haterofhaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2007, 07:16 PM   #10
Derek
Good High School Starter

Derek has an OK reputation so far

Personally, I'd drink a cold beer, but it looks like you'll be in trouble regardless. Just do whatever gets you in the least trouble. Keeping your mouth shut is probably the best option.
Derek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2007, 07:48 PM   #11
different107
National High School Star

different107 has decent reputation

Tell him the truth. If he gets ticked at you, at least you know that what you did was right.
different107 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2007, 07:51 PM   #12
statman32
NBA Legend

statman32 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterstatman32 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterstatman32 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterstatman32 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterstatman32 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterstatman32 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterstatman32 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterstatman32 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterstatman32 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterstatman32 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by different107
Tell him the truth. If he gets ticked at you, at least you know that what you did was right.
He will either get charged w/ something or sued. He needs to keep his mouth shut. The world aint perfect.
statman32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2007, 08:00 PM   #13
jjswifty

jjswifty has an incredible reputation herejjswifty has an incredible reputation herejjswifty has an incredible reputation herejjswifty has an incredible reputation herejjswifty has an incredible reputation herejjswifty has an incredible reputation herejjswifty has an incredible reputation here

Somehow your roommate is going to eventually find out if you dont tell him.
jjswifty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2007, 08:31 PM   #14
haterofhaters
Fantasy Forum Mod

haterofhaters is popular on this boardhaterofhaters is popular on this boardhaterofhaters is popular on this boardhaterofhaters is popular on this boardhaterofhaters is popular on this board

Quote:
Originally Posted by different107
That would work.... if he were on full house.
haterofhaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 08:40 PM   #15
bokes15
Playoffs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by haterofhaters
That would work.... if he were on full house.
Actually, a full house type solution worked. All my friend did was go up to my roommate, call him aside, apologize and say it was disrespectful to take advantage of his trust by going and making a copy of the key and then lying about it, and then assured him that nobody else drove the car and there's no more copies of the key. So then my roommate says it's all good and he's not gonna report it anymore. I'm breathing a sigh of relief.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: