Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 03-28-2007, 02:36 PM   #16
Bourne
Valancais for RoY

Bourne has not been impressing people
Default Re: What happened to the Black Band in music.

Who needs black bands when you have this?

This looks like gobb 10 years ago

Bourne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 02:50 PM   #17
i seen hippos
NBA Superstar

i seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteri seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteri seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteri seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteri seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteri seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteri seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteri seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteri seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteri seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteri seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

That guy is fearless on the mic. NO FEAR.

On a side note, it's funny how the greatest era of white music always gets overlooked.

Quote:
70's arena rock leads to punk backlash
Punk backlash leads to 80's extravagance (Crue/Poison/D Leppard)
80's glam backlash leads to 90's grunge
hardly backlash, but grunge goes mainstream and leads to 90's modern rock
that leads us to our current state of single driven pop music like 60's and 70's pop

no respect.
i seen hippos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 03:41 PM   #18
SomeBunghole
Banned

SomeBunghole has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeuceWallaces
Do tell.

I don't see how Punk killed white bands

Punk convinced people that it was enough to play 3 chords in order to be successful. That isn't necessarily a problem in and of itself, except when you only know those 3 chords. As Sting said about the early Police, "we may have only played 3-4 chords, but we knew hundreds." Big difference between playing a few chords because those are the only ones you know, and playing a few chords because you consciously select them.

Either way, like hip-hop today, this leads every 15-year old in the country to believe that being a musician is something that takes effort. It's possible for bands today to form, buy instruments, learn to play them, and have a hit in less than a year. Which is just so wrong, on so many levels.
SomeBunghole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 03:46 PM   #19
L.Kizzle
ISH's Negro Historian

L.Kizzle has a near all-star reputation hereL.Kizzle has a near all-star reputation hereL.Kizzle has a near all-star reputation hereL.Kizzle has a near all-star reputation hereL.Kizzle has a near all-star reputation hereL.Kizzle has a near all-star reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeBunghole
Punk convinced people that it was enough to play 3 chords in order to be successful. That isn't necessarily a problem in and of itself, except when you only know those 3 chords. As Sting said about the early Police, "we may have only played 3-4 chords, but we knew hundreds." Big difference between playing a few chords because those are the only ones you know, and playing a few chords because you consciously select them.

Either way, like hip-hop today, this leads every 15-year old in the country to believe that being a musician is something that takes effort. It's possible for bands today to form, buy instruments, learn to play them, and have a hit in less than a year. Which is just so wrong, on so many levels.
At least white children are learning to play instruments. They might only no 3 chords, but atleast they no something. I'm 19 and beside myself, and I only know one other black person, (my cousin) that plays an instrument.
L.Kizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 04:18 PM   #20
Randy
NBA sixth man of the year

Randy is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRandy is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRandy is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRandy is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRandy is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRandy is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRandy is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRandy is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRandy is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Black bands are gone in the same fashion that white bands are gone. Each resective race has migrated to crap, blacks to terrible rap and whites to terrible pop music, although there are always a few exceptions.

Good bands just don't exist anymore other than old men like Aerosmith, Rolling Stones, AC/DC etc. that still tour. These record companies and "artists" (they don't even deserve the title of artist) are too worried about making the quick buck as opposed to artistic integrity. Fall Out Boy? My Chemical Romance? Please, these are not bands in my eyes, they are just a pop group used as a medium by record companies to make millions. I don't know any current rappers but from the piss-poor lyrics I've seen posted by you guys, it appears that the same thing that is happening to Rock & Roll is happening to all other music genres as well. It makes me sick.

The fact that My Chemical Romance, Fall Out Boy, Hawthorne Heights, Green Day are considered to be in the same genre as legends such as Led Zeppelin, Guns N' Roses, AC/DC, Jimi Hendrix, etc. is insulting to true music fanatics like myself.

This is a little OT, but what is happening in the music industry is also unfortunately happening to cinema. The amount of crap that is released on film outnumbers good films by at least 4 to 1. Money once again takes prioroty over art, for example I just saw a preview for a sequel to Are We There Yet? Are you kidding me? What a joke.

Last edited by Randy : 03-28-2007 at 04:28 PM.
Randy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 04:23 PM   #21
Randy

Randy is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRandy is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRandy is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRandy is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRandy is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRandy is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRandy is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRandy is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRandy is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:

Judging from the rest of your post, did you mean "little effort"? If you did I agree completely, current music is in a sad state.

Another band that writes very simple 3 chord changes is AC/DC, the majority of their songs are incredibly easy to play on the guitar but that doesn't stop them from writing great music and sticking around for almost 30 years. Simple does not always equal bad.
Old 03-28-2007, 07:19 PM   #22
Pokerface
Great young streetballer

Pokerface has an OK reputation so far

Here are a few that I'm familiar with:

Pieces of a Dream, Kevin Eubanks & the Tonight Show Band, Walter Beasley, Gerald Albright, Wayman Tisdale, Kirk Whalum, B. B. King, Urban Knights.
Pokerface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 07:30 PM   #23
Rameek
Krust Kingz

Rameek is a pretty well-respected posterRameek is a pretty well-respected posterRameek is a pretty well-respected posterRameek is a pretty well-respected poster

record companies dont really want black bands... they want money makers... record companies dictate who gets signed to deals... Mint Condition was the last one... Also, learning to play instruments has been replaced by basketball and footballs...
Rameek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 08:37 PM   #24
SomeBunghole
Banned

To touch on another issue here, someone mentioned sampling. What's great about sampling, from the perspective of people like Dre is that it provides you with an instant hit.

Any musician will tell you that the hardest thing to do is write a hook. It's easy to write a song that will impress your fellow musician with your knowledge of chords, modes, counterpoints and what not, provided you have a musical background, but writing songs to impress an average Joe who doesn't know a musical staff from a wizard's staff is tough. You need a hook, something to catch your listeners attention. It could be a chorus, an intro, a riff, it could even be just a couple of notes, but you need a hook.

Just about every hip-hop song to achieve mainstream or crossover success has been sampled. And hey, it makes sense. If you're Eminem, why waste time and energy composing and recording your own beats when there's all the Didos and Aerosmiths of this world to take them from? Sure, you have to credit them and pay them, but that's small change compared to the money you'll make.

Case in point. I won't name the song in question, but I'll point out that it was probably the biggest mainstream hip-hop hit of the 90s. How many of you knew that BOTH of its hooks were sampled?

http://members.shaw.ca/bratici/cocker.mp3

http://members.shaw.ca/bratici/hudson.mp3

Now, I'm sure someone's gonna point out that the song is good, sampled or not, but I'll also say that the version of the song everyone knows is a remix. The original version had a completely different backing beat and was not a hit by any stretch. Oh, and wouldn't you know it, even that different beat is sampled.

http://members.shaw.ca/bratici/kleer.mp3

So, I mean, aside from lyrics, what's original here? And if the lyrics are what this is all about, then why make music? Just publish a book of poetry.
Old 03-28-2007, 08:58 PM   #25
i seen hippos
NBA Superstar

i seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteri seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteri seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteri seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteri seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteri seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteri seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteri seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteri seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteri seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteri seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Fall Out Boy? My Chemical Romance

Hate this music, but if it entertains people and makes them happy, why care?

It's gives them the same feeling that Adam gets when he sees a guy going 100 mph putting his fingers in all of those holes on a flute.

real musik:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=rlLenChVPNg
i seen hippos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 09:52 PM   #26
L.Kizzle
ISH's Negro Historian

L.Kizzle has a near all-star reputation hereL.Kizzle has a near all-star reputation hereL.Kizzle has a near all-star reputation hereL.Kizzle has a near all-star reputation hereL.Kizzle has a near all-star reputation hereL.Kizzle has a near all-star reputation here

Quote:
To touch on another issue here, someone mentioned sampling. What's great about sampling, from the perspective of people like Dre is that it provides you with an instant hit.

Any musician will tell you that the hardest thing to do is write a hook. It's easy to write a song that will impress your fellow musician with your knowledge of chords, modes, counterpoints and what not, provided you have a musical background, but writing songs to impress an average Joe who doesn't know a musical staff from a wizard's staff is tough. You need a hook, something to catch your listeners attention. It could be a chorus, an intro, a riff, it could even be just a couple of notes, but you need a hook.

Just about every hip-hop song to achieve mainstream or crossover success has been sampled. And hey, it makes sense. If you're Eminem, why waste time and energy composing and recording your own beats when there's all the Didos and Aerosmiths of this world to take them from? Sure, you have to credit them and pay them, but that's small change compared to the money you'll make.

Case in point. I won't name the song in question, but I'll point out that it was probably the biggest mainstream hip-hop hit of the 90s. How many of you knew that BOTH of its hooks were sampled?

http://members.shaw.ca/bratici/cocker.mp3

http://members.shaw.ca/bratici/hudson.mp3

Now, I'm sure someone's gonna point out that the song is good, sampled or not, but I'll also say that the version of the song everyone knows is a remix. The original version had a completely different backing beat and was not a hit by any stretch. Oh, and wouldn't you know it, even that different beat is sampled.

http://members.shaw.ca/bratici/kleer.mp3

So, I mean, aside from lyrics, what's original here? And if the lyrics are what this is all about, then why make music? Just publish a book of poetry.

This is great man, I knew about the Joe Cocker track as I have the original but had know idea about Dre sampled California and that othe track (title escapes me now) by Kleer (I need to get me some Kleer)

Dre has sampled alot of folks from Bar-Kays, PFunk, Leon Haywood and others. I never knew Dre. sampled so much (knew he sampled) until I saw this list.

Dre Dre sampled list
Old 03-28-2007, 10:29 PM   #27
SomeBunghole
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by L.Kizzle
This is great man, I knew about the Joe Cocker track as I have the original but had know idea about Dre sampled California and that othe track (title escapes me now) by Kleer (I need to get me some Kleer)

Intimate Connection is the name of the Kleer track. And on the topic of Cocker, I've shocked many a person playing them Woman to Woman. Most people think of Cocker as the old white geezer who did "You Are So Beautiful," but the dude had soul.

Quote:
Dre has sampled alot of folks from Bar-Kays, PFunk, Leon Haywood and others. I never knew Dre. sampled so much (knew he sampled) until I saw this list.

Dre Dre sampled list

Yeah, the secret to sampling is in the dedication to scouring through obscure records and weird stuff in search for a sample people won't readily recognize. Sure, you still gotta clear it and credit it, but very few people read song credits carefully, especially when it comes to rap albums. Dre constructs a hit out of a forgotten white soul song and a very obscure funk track.

I mean, who the f*ck listens to Charles Aznavour? I've barely heard of the guy, and I like to consider myself to be a bit more cultured than an average person.
Old 03-28-2007, 10:47 PM   #28
VCDrivesAPorscheToWork
Very good NBA starter

VCDrivesAPorscheToWork is considered somewhat coolVCDrivesAPorscheToWork is considered somewhat coolVCDrivesAPorscheToWork is considered somewhat cool

does Boyz II Men count as a boy band?
VCDrivesAPorscheToWork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 10:49 PM   #29
L.Kizzle
ISH's Negro Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VCDrivesAPorscheToWork
does Boyz II Men count as a boy band?

We talking bout BLACK BANDS not BOY BANDS. ALso, I wouldnt count Boyz II Men as a boy band but as a vocal group.
Old 03-29-2007, 12:23 AM   #30
Randy

Quote:
Originally Posted by i seen hippos
Hate this music, but if it entertains people and makes them happy, why care?

I care because crap ass bands like this destroy everything rock and roll has stood for. The get pussied up in makeup, do their hair, and wear extravegant costumes to go and perfrom for 14 year old girls, it's disgusting. The greatest genre of music of all time, blues influenced rock, is dead thanks to greedy record companies and vag;na bands like My Chemical Romance and Queers! at the Disco.

Last edited by Randy : 03-29-2007 at 12:25 AM.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: