Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 03-28-2007, 03:24 PM   #1
Heilige
An Icon Forever

Heilige has an incredible reputation hereHeilige has an incredible reputation hereHeilige has an incredible reputation hereHeilige has an incredible reputation hereHeilige has an incredible reputation hereHeilige has an incredible reputation hereHeilige has an incredible reputation here
Default Need to lose weight

I am 80-100 lbs. overweight. I have been trying for awhile to lose some weight, but can't seem to do it. It seems like it is a constant struggle. Does anyone have tips and advice on how to lose weight? If anyone here was overweight, how did you do it? Also, how long willl it take me to lose 80-100 lbs.?
Heilige is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 03:32 PM   #2
IlliniFan
Very good NBA starter

IlliniFan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterIlliniFan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterIlliniFan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterIlliniFan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterIlliniFan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterIlliniFan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterIlliniFan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterIlliniFan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterIlliniFan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Re: Need to lose weight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heilige
I am 80-100 lbs. overweight. I have been trying for awhile to lose some weight, but can't seem to do it. It seems like it is a constant struggle. Does anyone have tips and advice on how to lose weight? If anyone here was overweight, how did you do it? Also, how long willl it take me to lose 80-100 lbs.?
Damn. How much do you weigh? It will take you a good year.
IlliniFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 03:36 PM   #3
VCDrivesAPorscheToWork
Very good NBA starter

VCDrivesAPorscheToWork is considered somewhat coolVCDrivesAPorscheToWork is considered somewhat coolVCDrivesAPorscheToWork is considered somewhat cool

several months.

the healthiest way to go is lose 2 pounds a week.

so in your case it'll take pretty much a year. of course you could always speed it up.

the easiest things to cut back on are sweets and fried stuff.

you also need to curb your appetite.

simply eat less calories than your body uses everyday.

also exercise aerobically for over 20 minutes, at least 3 times a week.

also you may feel your energy levels deplete and you feel sluggish and you want to eat.

play video games or watch TV or munch on a fruit.

the biggest obstacle to losing weight is EFFORT.

after a few days of feeling hungry and tired, you'll feel like you've made no progress and be tempted to quit the diet.

PERSEVERANCE.

just know in the end you will succeed. results are not fast.
VCDrivesAPorscheToWork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 03:39 PM   #4
VCDrivesAPorscheToWork
Very good NBA starter

VCDrivesAPorscheToWork is considered somewhat coolVCDrivesAPorscheToWork is considered somewhat coolVCDrivesAPorscheToWork is considered somewhat cool

go to WikiHow and learn about losing weight.

I was never overweight, just had to lose my freshman 15 a while back. took about 2 months.
Old 03-28-2007, 03:45 PM   #5
FashionIssues
Smooth Operator

FashionIssues is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterFashionIssues is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterFashionIssues is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterFashionIssues is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterFashionIssues is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterFashionIssues is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterFashionIssues is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterFashionIssues is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterFashionIssues is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterFashionIssues is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterFashionIssues is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

it took me 4 mo. to shed 35 lbs.

my regimend consisted of 1800 calorie intake daily and 45 minutes cardio
FashionIssues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 04:28 PM   #6
Heilige
An Icon Forever

Heilige has an incredible reputation hereHeilige has an incredible reputation hereHeilige has an incredible reputation hereHeilige has an incredible reputation hereHeilige has an incredible reputation hereHeilige has an incredible reputation hereHeilige has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by VCDrivesAPorscheToWork
several months.

the healthiest way to go is lose 2 pounds a week.

so in your case it'll take pretty much a year. of course you could always speed it up.

the easiest things to cut back on are sweets and fried stuff.

you also need to curb your appetite.

simply eat less calories than your body uses everyday.

also exercise aerobically for over 20 minutes, at least 3 times a week.

also you may feel your energy levels deplete and you feel sluggish and you want to eat.

play video games or watch TV or munch on a fruit.

the biggest obstacle to losing weight is EFFORT.

after a few days of feeling hungry and tired, you'll feel like you've made no progress and be tempted to quit the diet.

PERSEVERANCE.

just know in the end you will succeed. results are not fast.

Is it healthy to feel your energy levels deplete and to feel sluggish?
Old 03-28-2007, 05:13 PM   #7
Hot Shot Rox
Decent playground baller

Hot Shot Rox has decent reputation

Where you been?

http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=24444
Hot Shot Rox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 05:18 PM   #8
Cool
NBA rookie of the year

Cool is considered somewhat coolCool is considered somewhat cool

IMO you should hire a personal trainer and he will definetly motivate you and stuff. And if you dont do that, just work hard at the gym every day and try to eat healthy, or just join like a jenny craig or a weight watchers sort of thing.
Cool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 05:30 PM   #9
DoubleTech
NBA lottery pick

DoubleTech is a pretty well-respected posterDoubleTech is a pretty well-respected posterDoubleTech is a pretty well-respected posterDoubleTech is a pretty well-respected poster

if you're that overweight, you can lose maybe 20% of that sooner than you think by just switching up your lifestyle...

if you sit infront of a computer for longer than two hours a day and its not your job... STOP IT! try to cut that back to just 30-60 minutes a day.

go for walks now and then... you got legs, why not use them? im not expecting anyone who's really overweight to pick up jogging as a habit, but walking is just plain easy... especially if its nice out... a 20-25 minute walk, especially after a big meal, is good for you.

join a rec indoor hockey league. i know we're on a basketball forum but its a tougher sport to pick up and be good at. hockey (in a gym, not on ice) is just easy to pick up, you'll sweat like mad and have fun. these leagues are cheap to join, lets you be active for a couple hours once a week, and you'll end up meeting some cool people.

the key is just to be more active, eat healthier and eat less.
DoubleTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 01:30 AM   #10
Soccer10
Banned

Soccer10 has an OK reputation so far

Well one thing is clear, if you want to lose weight for the summer and look good on the beach, forget it, wait next year.

Anyway, it's pretty simple.

nutrition + cardio..

That's how you lose weight.
Soccer10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 08:45 AM   #11
Howard5Dirk41
Banned

Howard5Dirk41 has an OK reputation so far

Yup, you HAVE to have cardio everyday along with a diet.

I lost about 25 pounds from Jan 8th-Mid February but I have been stuck on that ever since then.

Next week I am going to buy a treadmill so I can get my cardio in everyday.

But good luck, losing weight is very hard to do.
Howard5Dirk41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 08:49 AM   #12
Heilige
An Icon Forever

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard5Dirk41
Yup, you HAVE to have cardio everyday along with a diet.

I lost about 25 pounds from Jan 8th-Mid February but I have been stuck on that ever since then.

Next week I am going to buy a treadmill so I can get my cardio in everyday.

But good luck, losing weight is very hard to do.

Did you read VC's post above? I asked him this question, but he hasn't responded yet: Is it healthy to feel your energy levels deplete and to feel sluggish?
Old 03-29-2007, 08:54 AM   #13
VCDrivesAPorscheToWork
Very good NBA starter

Quote:
Is it healthy to feel your energy levels deplete and to feel sluggish?

can staying overweight be healthy? (no offense)

and it's not like you'll feel tired or anything, just a bit weary because your stomach will be growling initially a lot...

drink water, drink coffee to stay alert, etc...

as long as you don't STARVE yourself, then you should be fine.

because by starving yourself, your body think sthere is no more food left so your metabolism slows down in an effort to save energy and your glycogen reserves in your muscle tissue will be the first to be used (because it is much easier to convert into energy) before the fat is hit. that's why only girls can be anorexic, because being stick figures with no muscles is okay for women.
Old 03-29-2007, 08:56 AM   #14
Heilige
An Icon Forever

Quote:
Originally Posted by VCDrivesAPorscheToWork
can staying overweight be healthy? (no offense)

as long as you don't STARVE yourself, then you should be fine.

What I mean is, when I first start out on the diet and change my eating habits will I always feel sluggish or will that feeling eventually go away?

Also, when you lost your freshman 15, what foods did you eat?
Old 03-29-2007, 08:58 AM   #15
Cannonball
Lets GO PENS!

Cannonball has a near all-star reputation hereCannonball has a near all-star reputation hereCannonball has a near all-star reputation hereCannonball has a near all-star reputation hereCannonball has a near all-star reputation hereCannonball has a near all-star reputation here

Quote:
Did you read VC's post above? I asked him this question, but he hasn't responded yet: Is it healthy to feel your energy levels deplete and to feel sluggish?
How old are you?
Cannonball is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: