Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 03-29-2007, 09:59 AM   #16
VCDrivesAPorscheToWork
Very good NBA starter

Default Re: Need to lose weight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heilige
What I mean is, when I first start out on the diet and change my eating habits will I always feel sluggish or will that feeling eventually go away?

Also, when you lost your freshman 15, what foods did you eat?

well maybe I am being vague. sluggish not as in you are very tired and can't do anything. but rather, once you get that growling stomach, you'll think about eating, even though you know you shouldn't, so you keep thinking about it, and after a while you just don't feel like doing any activities at all.

and I actually went vegetarian for a month to curb my appetite. but without a protein source (i never seriously considered tofu) i went back to meats.

but your first step should be to cut out these things:

cut out soda. cut out non juice "drinks."

cut out candies, sweets.

cut out junk food.

cut out ice cream.

cut out fried foods.

cut out fast food.

that should make a big difference right away.
VCDrivesAPorscheToWork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 10:09 AM   #17
Heilige
An Icon Forever

Quote:
Originally Posted by VCDrivesAPorscheToWork
well maybe I am being vague. sluggish not as in you are very tired and can't do anything. but rather, once you get that growling stomach, you'll think about eating, even though you know you shouldn't, so you keep thinking about it, and after a while you just don't feel like doing any activities at all.

and I actually went vegetarian for a month to curb my appetite. but without a protein source (i never seriously considered tofu) i went back to meats.

but your first step should be to cut out these things:

cut out soda. cut out non juice "drinks."

cut out candies, sweets.

cut out junk food.

cut out ice cream.

cut out fried foods.

cut out fast food.

that should make a big difference right away.

Is luncheon meat healthy?
Heilige is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 10:15 AM   #18
VCDrivesAPorscheToWork
Very good NBA starter

Quote:
Is luncheon meat healthy?

i can't say it's heart food, but ham, turkey, bologna, and other stuff in a sandwich is just fine.

4 slices of luncheon meat
two slices of bread
all the veggies you want to add

is only about 300 calories.

try to avoid mayo. put mustard instead.

and since you are overweight to begin with, your body may need more than 2000 calories. not sure how much, but there should be a formula online in which you can approximate how much you really need based on your body weight. then just eat less than that (the less the better) and exercise and keep focused and disciplined. this is going to be a long term committment. results will not come fast, but they will come nonetheless.
Old 03-29-2007, 10:16 AM   #19
Heilige
An Icon Forever

Quote:
i can't say it's heart food, but ham, turkey, bologna, and other stuff in a sandwich is just fine.

4 slices of luncheon meat
two slices of bread
all the veggies you want to add

is only about 300 calories.

try to avoid mayo. put mustard instead.

and since you are overweight to begin with, your body may need more than 2000 calories. not sure how much, but there should be a formula online in which you can approximate how much you really need based on your body weight. then just eat less than that (the less the better) and exercise and keep focused and disciplined. this is going to be a long term committment. results will not come fast, but they will come nonetheless.

Is sodium bad for you though? The luncheon meat I have; white turkey contains 300 mg of sodium.
Old 03-29-2007, 10:23 AM   #20
VCDrivesAPorscheToWork
Very good NBA starter

wash it down with tall glasses of water.

unless you have hypertension, heart issues, or are over 40, then don't worry too much about it.

or you could just buy low sodium turkey. it's just the broth they soak it in to give it flavor.
Old 03-29-2007, 10:27 AM   #21
Heilige
An Icon Forever

Quote:
wash it down with tall glasses of water.

unless you have hypertension, heart issues, or are over 40, then don't worry too much about it.

or you could just buy low sodium turkey. it's just the broth they soak it in to give it flavor.

I can't seem to find any low sodium turkey/luncheon meat. Do they have it with the regular luncheon meat? I'll look harder next time i go to the grocery store.

Also, when you were losing weight did you do any exercise or just changed your eating habits?
Old 03-29-2007, 10:32 AM   #22
VCDrivesAPorscheToWork
Very good NBA starter

Quote:
I can't seem to find any low sodium turkey/luncheon meat. Do they have it with the regular luncheon meat? I'll look harder next time i go to the grocery store.

Also, when you were losing weight did you do any exercise or just changed your eating habits?

you must do both. doing one or the other does work but it is VERY slow.

what do you have to lose by doing both?

I suggest calculating how many calories your body needs, then eat foods for only what you know the nutritional content is, then ration what you eat according to these vital factors:

Calories
Fat
Sodium
Carbohydrates
Cholesterol

the Cholesterol is just a health indicator, does not directly pertain to weight loss. usually the lower cholesterol is has, the less other bad stuff it has.

find the daily nutritional values for each, and try to eat ~75% of the DV each day. and if you eat less, that's a victory.

and start getting acquainted with fruit. empty calories with energy carbs to help you exercise.

but also do not get the fat content too high.

then exercise aerobically. run on a treadmill, play full court basketball. swim. do anything that gets the heart pumping continuously, gets you sweating and gets you panting as well.

and chew gum. chewing gum curbs appetite.
Old 03-29-2007, 10:52 AM   #23
Heilige
An Icon Forever

Quote:
you must do both. doing one or the other does work but it is VERY slow.

what do you have to lose by doing both?

I suggest calculating how many calories your body needs, then eat foods for only what you know the nutritional content is, then ration what you eat according to these vital factors:

Calories
Fat
Sodium
Carbohydrates
Cholesterol

the Cholesterol is just a health indicator, does not directly pertain to weight loss. usually the lower cholesterol is has, the less other bad stuff it has.

find the daily nutritional values for each, and try to eat ~75% of the DV each day. and if you eat less, that's a victory.

and start getting acquainted with fruit. empty calories with energy carbs to help you exercise.

but also do not get the fat content too high.

then exercise aerobically. run on a treadmill, play full court basketball. swim. do anything that gets the heart pumping continuously, gets you sweating and gets you panting as well.

and chew gum. chewing gum curbs appetite.

Thanks for helping me out man!

Old 03-29-2007, 11:09 AM   #24
hateraid
Is it in you?

The chewing gum thing is a myth. But chewing gum does actually help digestion. The action of chewing stimulates enzyme production, this will help break down your food more efficiently. But it won't stop you from being hungry. Actually, it may even make you hungrier.
hateraid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 11:09 AM   #25
Cannonball
Lets GO PENS!

I'm into those sobe life waters. They have like half the cals of pop. And lots of vitamins. I need caffeine tho. What do you all do for caffeine? I hate coffee.
Cannonball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 11:10 AM   #26
Cannonball
Lets GO PENS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hateraid
The chewing gum thing is a myth. But chewing gum does actually help digestion. The action of chewing stimulates enzyme production, this will help break down your food more efficiently. But it won't stop you from being hungry. Actually, it may even make you hungrier.

I think it makes me hungry. If I chew a peice of gum like 30 mins later I'll be wanting to get something to eat.
Old 03-29-2007, 11:12 AM   #27
hateraid
Is it in you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cannonball
I think it makes me hungry. If I chew a peice of gum like 30 mins later I'll be wanting to get something to eat.

Best time to eat. Your enzyme production is at it's peak.
hateraid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 11:14 AM   #28
VCDrivesAPorscheToWork
Very good NBA starter

oh wait... I mistook the gum thing for something else.

what I was thinking of is how chewing gum keeps me AWAKE during all nighters.
Old 03-29-2007, 11:18 AM   #29
Heilige
An Icon Forever

Quote:
oh wait... I mistook the gum thing for something else.

what I was thinking of is how chewing gum keeps me AWAKE during all nighters.

To get a very low body fat percentage is it just a matter of doing tons of cardio and what you eat? Liek Michael Jordan for example; how did he get his body fat to 3%-4% for one of the seasons he was with the Bulls?
Old 03-29-2007, 11:37 AM   #30
Cannonball
Lets GO PENS!

Quote:
To get a very low body fat percentage is it just a matter of doing tons of cardio and what you eat? Liek Michael Jordan for example; how did he get his body fat to 3%-4% for one of the seasons he was with the Bulls?

By not knowing what nba players body fat was.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: