Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 03-29-2007, 03:29 PM   #61
Mathius
NBA sixth man of the year
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Northeast OH
Posts: 6,103
Mathius has a terrific reputationMathius has a terrific reputationMathius has a terrific reputationMathius has a terrific reputationMathius has a terrific reputationMathius has a terrific reputation
Default Re: Knicks vs Cavaliers

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedBlackAttack
I think you are putting a little too much stock into the last six games, where the Cavs have been painful to watch. I've said the same thing over and over.

However, do not forget that, before this six game stretch of bad play, they won 8 straight games including victories against Detroit, Toronto, Houston, and Utah.

There is a consistency problem, here. That much is obvious. They looked very good in those 9 games and people were even throwing around the idea that they could catch Detroit for the #1 seed by season's end.

Now, they are playing like sh*t.

Next week, they may be playing great again... who knows?

One thing I do know is that, generally speaking, inconsistent teams don't last in the playoffs, so I hope they catch fire and carry it into the postseason. If not, it will be short and not very sweet.

That said, let's not act like this team has been struggling for months. Just 6 games ago, every Cavs fan was on cloud nine and they were ranked 4th in the league on ESPN's power rankings.

But you're wrong. They WERE playing like crap before the all star game. How quickly we forget. They struggled all year, with Mike Brown fiddling left and right with the lineup until he finally figured out Sasha was the answer to Flip Murray, and then put Gibson in the starting lineup.

Lebron was accused of coasting all year and the whole team was a let down in comparison to what we saw in the playoffs last year.

One winning streak after the all star game means nothing. And correct me if I am wrong, but wasn't that the longest winning streak they had all year?

Have you forgotten how inconsistent they were the whole first half of the season? I challenge you to go back and look at past game threads. I challenge you to remember beating San Antonio twice, but losing to the Bobcats twice.

Mathius
Mathius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 03:32 PM   #62
Cannonball
Lets GO PENS!
 
Cannonball's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: pa...
Posts: 8,889
Cannonball has a near all-star reputation hereCannonball has a near all-star reputation hereCannonball has a near all-star reputation hereCannonball has a near all-star reputation hereCannonball has a near all-star reputation hereCannonball has a near all-star reputation here
Default Re: Knicks vs Cavaliers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathius
But you're wrong. They WERE playing like crap before the all star game. How quickly we forget. They struggled all year, with Mike Brown fiddling left and right with the lineup until he finally figured out Sasha was the answer to Flip Murray, and then put Gibson in the starting lineup.

Lebron was accused of coasting all year and the whole team was a let down in comparison to what we saw in the playoffs last year.

One winning streak after the all star game means nothing. And correct me if I am wrong, but wasn't that the longest winning streak they had all year?

Have you forgotten how inconsistent they were the whole first half of the season? I challenge you to go back and look at past game threads. I challenge you to remember beating San Antonio twice, but losing to the Bobcats twice.

Mathius


Unless LeBron pulls something out of his ass we won't get anywhere near the finals.
Cannonball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 09:24 PM   #63
RedBlackAttack
The Paterfamilias
 
RedBlackAttack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: The "Q"
Posts: 26,415
RedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Re: Knicks vs Cavaliers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathius
But you're wrong. They WERE playing like crap before the all star game. How quickly we forget. They struggled all year, with Mike Brown fiddling left and right with the lineup until he finally figured out Sasha was the answer to Flip Murray, and then put Gibson in the starting lineup.

Lebron was accused of coasting all year and the whole team was a let down in comparison to what we saw in the playoffs last year.

One winning streak after the all star game means nothing. And correct me if I am wrong, but wasn't that the longest winning streak they had all year?

Have you forgotten how inconsistent they were the whole first half of the season? I challenge you to go back and look at past game threads. I challenge you to remember beating San Antonio twice, but losing to the Bobcats twice.

Mathius
What do you think I said in the quote that you posted of mine? I said they are very inconsistent. I know they were playing like sh*t much of the time before the All-Star break... I know they were playing great immediately after the All-Star break... I know they are back to playing like sh*t. That is almost exactly what I said. Are we really disagreeing, here? You said "I'm wrong..".

How exactly?
RedBlackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2007, 04:47 AM   #64
Mathius
NBA sixth man of the year
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Northeast OH
Posts: 6,103
Mathius has a terrific reputationMathius has a terrific reputationMathius has a terrific reputationMathius has a terrific reputationMathius has a terrific reputationMathius has a terrific reputation
Default Re: Knicks vs Cavaliers

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedBlackAttack
What do you think I said in the quote that you posted of mine? I said they are very inconsistent. I know they were playing like sh*t much of the time before the All-Star break... I know they were playing great immediately after the All-Star break... I know they are back to playing like sh*t. That is almost exactly what I said. Are we really disagreeing, here? You said "I'm wrong..".

How exactly?

Here:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedBlackAttack
I think you are putting a little too much stock into the last six games, where the Cavs have been painful to watch. I've said the same thing over and over.

However, do not forget that, before this six game stretch of bad play, they won 8 straight games including victories against Detroit, Toronto, Houston, and Utah.

And most particularly HERE:
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedBlackAttack
That said, let's not act like this team has been struggling for months. Just 6 games ago, every Cavs fan was on cloud nine and they were ranked 4th in the league on ESPN's power rankings.

You made it sound like this was a very good team just going through a bad stretch.

And the fact is, the team HAS been struggling for months if you take away that 8 game stretch. This team has yet to find its image offensively, largely due to inept coaching, allowing poor ball movement and players taking poor shots and not making them.

And everyone talks about how great Mike Brown's defensive coaching abilities are, but I've yet to see us truly shut anyone down, outside of a lesser team like the Knicks being held to 68.

I think what we have is a very poor team that manages to win because it stays close in games and finds random guys who catch fire. (one night it might be Marshall, the next Damon Jones, even Sasha and Lebron haven't played all that consistently)

I think what we have is a group of fans who looked at that 8 game stretch and thought all of our problems were gone.

Mathius
Mathius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2007, 09:45 AM   #65
RedBlackAttack
The Paterfamilias
 
RedBlackAttack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: The "Q"
Posts: 26,415
RedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Re: Knicks vs Cavaliers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathius
You made it sound like this was a very good team just going through a bad stretch.

And the fact is, the team HAS been struggling for months if you take away that 8 game stretch. This team has yet to find its image offensively, largely due to inept coaching, allowing poor ball movement and players taking poor shots and not making them.

And everyone talks about how great Mike Brown's defensive coaching abilities are, but I've yet to see us truly shut anyone down, outside of a lesser team like the Knicks being held to 68.

I think what we have is a very poor team that manages to win because it stays close in games and finds random guys who catch fire. (one night it might be Marshall, the next Damon Jones, even Sasha and Lebron haven't played all that consistently)

I think what we have is a group of fans who looked at that 8 game stretch and thought all of our problems were gone.

Mathius
I'm not sure what Cavalier fans thought that all of our problems were gone during that 8 game stretch. Certainly not me.

Hughes was playing well at the one, but anyone that knows anything about basketball knew that it wasn't going to last forever. He isn't a PG. It was only a matter of time before he started to revert back his old chucking self and teams starting to take advantage of him being out of his natural position.

The defense has been good at times this season against good teams. It is untrue to say that it has only looked good against bad teams. Just recently, the Cavs held Miami and Utah to 70 points. Earlier in the season, the team had great defensive performances against the Spurs twice. As a matter of fact, you look down the schedule... not that many teams have scored 100+ this season against the Cavs relative to other teams. I realize that this has much to do with the 'slow down' offense that the Cavs play, but I've seen times where the defense has looked good against good teams.

Here is my point... I've lived in Ohio all of my life. I know how Cleveland fans are... They tend to over-react... both ways. When the team is doing well, they are talking championship. When they look bad for a stretch, they are talking about tearing down the team and starting again from the ground up. The talk can vary, literally, from week-to-week.

I've watched all but 2 Cavs games this season. You don't think I know they've played like @ss for much of the year? I know they have... there have also been multiple stretches, before and after the ASG, that the Cavs looked really good.

This is a very inconsistent team that, on any given night is capable of beating anyone, but also capable of losing to anyone. Those kind of teams usually don't go far in the playoffs, but I will hold out hope that they pull things together by season's end.

Last edited by RedBlackAttack : 03-30-2007 at 11:41 AM.
RedBlackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2007, 03:24 PM   #66
Mathius
NBA sixth man of the year
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Northeast OH
Posts: 6,103
Mathius has a terrific reputationMathius has a terrific reputationMathius has a terrific reputationMathius has a terrific reputationMathius has a terrific reputationMathius has a terrific reputation
Default Re: Knicks vs Cavaliers

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedBlackAttack
I'm not sure what Cavalier fans thought that all of our problems were gone during that 8 game stretch. Certainly not me.

Hughes was playing well at the one, but anyone that knows anything about basketball knew that it wasn't going to last forever. He isn't a PG. It was only a matter of time before he started to revert back his old chucking self and teams starting to take advantage of him being out of his natural position.

The defense has been good at times this season against good teams. It is untrue to say that it has only looked good against bad teams. Just recently, the Cavs held Miami and Utah to 70 points. Earlier in the season, the team had great defensive performances against the Spurs twice. As a matter of fact, you look down the schedule... not that many teams have scored 100+ this season against the Cavs relative to other teams. I realize that this has much to do with the 'slow down' offense that the Cavs play, but I've seen times where the defense has looked good against good teams.

Here is my point... I've lived in Ohio all of my life. I know how Cleveland fans are... They tend to over-react... both ways. When the team is doing well, they are talking championship. When they look bad for a stretch, they are talking about tearing down the team and starting again from the ground up. The talk can vary, literally, from week-to-week.

I've watched all but 2 Cavs games this season. You don't think I know they've played like @ss for much of the year? I know they have... there have also been multiple stretches, before and after the ASG, that the Cavs looked really good.

This is a very inconsistent team that, on any given night is capable of beating anyone, but also capable of losing to anyone. Those kind of teams usually don't go far in the playoffs, but I will hold out hope that they pull things together by season's end.

That sounds like a much more reasonable summary than what you said earlier.

I for one am sick of losing. And I'm not just talking basketball, I'm talking Cleveland sports in general. For me, getting to the playoffs is not enough. With the team we have, I think the playoffs are nearly guaranteed. I expect that.

Unfortunately with the team we have, I don't expect us to win the championship. Or even come close. I realize that we have a chance. I know that because I know that any team that has Lebron James on it only has to keep the score close, and if he chooses to take it to the hoop instead of throwing up some random 30 foot shot, he can win ballgames for us, because nobody can stop him one on one, and very few teams can stop him when the defense converges on him.

I think we would be better off if we tore the team down and started over. Sometimes I even wonder if we'd be better off without Lebron. Except that getting rid of such a phenomenal player is ludacris!

This team does not have the young nucleus that you should have around a Lebron James. In fact, we had a young nucleus a few years ago, Ricky Davis, Carlos Boozer, Miles, etc. and we chose not to stick it out because of locker room and sideline issues. On one hand, I don't want trouble makers wearing a Cleveland jersey. On the other hand, what did you expect from a team full of young guys like that?

But I'm not saying those guys were the answer either. I'm saying we traded them all away for a bunch of aging guys that aren't getting any younger. Snow, Marshall, Hughes, Z, Wesley, and Ira are all older.

I'm sick and tired of having a soft post game! Brad Daughtery was a great talent, but he was soft! Z is soft! And Z isn't even used properly.

I want to see us with a post guy that's capable of dunking the ball more than once a night.

This team wants to "run" but sorely lacks athleticism in _most_ of its players.

In two years together, they still haven't meshed into a cohesive offensive unit.

And I blame the coach, and I blame the organization, particularly Ferry.

And I want to see some intelligent, accurate, opinions from the fans and media.

I'm sick of all the Lebron James hype. He isn't the savior of basketball, or the next Jordan. But he isn't the reason for all of Cleveland's loses either.

He's a great player, who is extremely physically gifted. He seems to work very hard off the court, because his defense and outside shot have improved tremendously, but he's still young, and still makes poor decisions and takes bad shots.

But his weaknesses are simply magnified by the fact that his team is awful offensively. If our team ran a better offense, his flaws such as his poor shot selection, or poor free throw shooting, wouldn't be such a big deal. In fact, I daresay his poor shot selection is due to the fact that nobody else is scoring!

If I was expected to take 50% of the teams shots, I think I'd take quite a few bad ones too, because you can't drive to the hoop every time, and you get frustrated after a while.

Mathius
Mathius is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by:
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:51 PM.




NBA Basketball Forum Key Links:
InsideHoops Home
NBA Rumors
Basketball Blog
NBA Daily Recaps
NBA Videos
Fantasy Basketball
NBA Mock Draft
NBA Free Agents
All-Star Weekend
---
High School Basketball
Streetball
---
InsideHoops Twitter
Search Our Site













Powered by vBulletin Version 3.5.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. Terms of Use/Service | Privacy Policy