Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 03-28-2007, 09:54 PM   #1
baseketball4life
NBA Superstar

baseketball4life is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbaseketball4life is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbaseketball4life is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbaseketball4life is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbaseketball4life is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbaseketball4life is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbaseketball4life is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbaseketball4life is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbaseketball4life is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbaseketball4life is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbaseketball4life is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Am I dunking too hard?

i like to practice dunks, but sometimes i slam my hand down so hard on the rim that afterward i have redness and pinpoints under the skin where the contact is made with the rim. Also sometimes it hurts when i flush it down so hard that i have to take a break for a little. anyone experience this...?
baseketball4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 10:15 PM   #2
VCDrivesAPorscheToWork
Very good NBA starter

VCDrivesAPorscheToWork is considered somewhat coolVCDrivesAPorscheToWork is considered somewhat coolVCDrivesAPorscheToWork is considered somewhat cool
Default Re: Am I dunking too hard?

yes I have experience... on 9 foot rims and lower.

anyway, dunking hard on the rim hurts your hands and wrists if you do it forcefully.

if you can jump high enough, try to force the ball into the hoop without ever touching the rim, or at least minimize contact. it's the kind of dunk where you can bring the palmed ball direcftly above the cylinder, then flush the ball and your hand down the center of the cylinder, and bring your hand out, so the ball swishes the net as it goes down.

if you can just barely dunk and can't soar any higher, considering just laying it in and conserving energy and your hand endurance for breakaways when you can show off.
VCDrivesAPorscheToWork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 10:17 PM   #3
Derek
Good High School Starter

Derek has an OK reputation so far

If you're going to dunk, don't throw it down so hard. Two points is two points. Keep in mind the rim is solid iron. Your hand is not.
Derek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 01:23 AM   #4
Soccer10
Banned

Soccer10 has an OK reputation so far

I have the same problem lol.
But I love it.

I'm not really creative so dunking hard is my best freaking option. Yes it hurts but it's a great feeling.
Soccer10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 02:25 AM   #5
JtotheIzzo
Admlnlstrator

JtotheIzzo is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJtotheIzzo is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJtotheIzzo is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJtotheIzzo is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJtotheIzzo is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJtotheIzzo is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJtotheIzzo is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJtotheIzzo is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJtotheIzzo is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJtotheIzzo is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJtotheIzzo is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

you are probably new to throwing down

in time you'll develop callouses and it wont be a problem, at least for the pinpoints or blisters or whatever skin issues you may be experiencing. In the meanitme just deal with it

re the slamming effect, when you dunk hard, you shouldnt bash your hand against the rim (or your forearm for that matter) you should try more of a grip type effort with the rim (kind of like a trapeeze artist grabbing for the bar), come down hard but also pull hard (this creates the same powerful effect). This way you transfer the energy more and save your body and more delicate pieces like hands and forearms from injury

and with a good grip on the rim you dont have to worry about landing on one of your teammates feet and rolling an ankle during a drill in practice because you have a good grip on the rim and you can hang if need be
JtotheIzzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 09:25 AM   #6
different107
National High School Star

different107 has decent reputation

Whenever I dunk on a lower rim I get the same thing if I do it for too long. It doesn't bother me that much though.
different107 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 10:52 AM   #7
20 Dimes A Game
HeartHustleHope

20 Dimes A Game has an OK reputation so far

Oh well, suck it up.
20 Dimes A Game is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 01:04 PM   #8
baseketball4life
NBA Superstar

baseketball4life is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbaseketball4life is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbaseketball4life is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbaseketball4life is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbaseketball4life is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbaseketball4life is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbaseketball4life is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbaseketball4life is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbaseketball4life is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbaseketball4life is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbaseketball4life is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20 Dimes A Game
Oh well, suck it up.
this sums it all up
Old 03-29-2007, 09:56 PM   #9
Lakerz_Forever
Local High School Star

Lakerz_Forever has an OK reputation so far

life ain't a picnic b!tch. suck it up, princess
Lakerz_Forever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 10:04 PM   #10
dak121
College superstar

dak121 is considered somewhat cooldak121 is considered somewhat cool

My only problem with dunking too hard is when the milk overflows the rim and spills on the table. But at least it's not as bad as the kind of mess that could occur when eating a jelly donut.
dak121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2007, 09:56 AM   #11
baseketball4life
NBA Superstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by dak121
My only problem with dunking too hard is when the milk overflows the rim and spills on the table. But at least it's not as bad as the kind of mess that could occur when eating a jelly donut.
lol, ok
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: