Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 03-29-2007, 11:27 PM   #46
bokes15
Playoffs!

Default Re: Has T Mac surpassed Kobe defensively?

Quote:
Originally Posted by qrich
You do realize I put AND DIKEMBE, right? Don't act as if Deke is a slouch, he's the best backup Center in the league[ahead of 'Zo yeah], and would start on most teams, granted he won't be able to play starters minutes the entre year.
Deke had a good stretch, but if you watch the Rockets currently he barely even plays. The tendonitis in his knees cause JFG to have to give him limited minutes.
bokes15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 11:28 PM   #47
qrich
King Heno

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xsatyr
If he does not have someone behind him like Yao Ming or Deke wouldn't that inspire him to play better defense?

It would of course, and like I said, I've always believed Tracy is a better defender then Bryant, the differential isn't huge, but he still is. What I'm pointing out by the Yao/Deke comment is to those who think he barely surpassed Bryant, but both players have all but swapped teams as Tracy never had a nice big behind him, which he does now, and Bryant went from having one, to not like Tracy was.
qrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 11:29 PM   #48
qrich
King Heno

Quote:
Originally Posted by bokes15
Deke had a good stretch, but if you watch the Rockets currently he barely even plays. The tendonitis in his knees cause JFG to have to give him limited minutes.

That stretch was while Yao was out, Yao's back now so it's not that huge that Deke gets limited minutes. I don't get where your going with this?
Old 03-29-2007, 11:30 PM   #49
Xsatyr
Samurai Chef

Quote:
It would of course, and like I said, I've always believed Tracy is a better defender then Bryant, the differential isn't huge, but he still is. What I'm pointing out by the Yao/Deke comment is to those who think he barely surpassed Bryant, but both players have all but swapped teams as Tracy never had a nice big behind him, which he does now, and Bryant went from having one, to not like Tracy was.

We have already said that earlier in the thread, sry if you didn't see it though. I think it might have been the first page actually.
Xsatyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 11:30 PM   #50
bokes15
Playoffs!

Quote:
That stretch was while Yao was out, Yao's back now so it's not that huge that Deke gets limited minutes. I don't get where your going with this?
Deke has not only had limited minutes but several DNP's. And it started before Yao came back.
bokes15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 11:31 PM   #51
el_locoteee
National High School Star

T-Mac is playing more defense because JVG told him when he pass the ball his team pass the ball, when he is aggressive his team is aggressive and when he play defense his team play defense.
el_locoteee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 11:34 PM   #52
qrich
King Heno

Quote:
Originally Posted by bokes15
Deke has not only had limited minutes but several DNP's. And it started before Yao came back.

For about what? 5/6 games? He has had a big behind him for the majority of the season whom alters and blocks shots, which makes him seem better then usual, when in reality, I don't think he's improved that much, just slightly as compared to before. People blow it out of proportion now because he looks better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xsatyr
We have already said that earlier in the thread, sry if you didn't see it though. I think it might have been the first page actually.

Didn't read through the thread so it's my mistake, and I've just been responding to what people have been replying with.
Old 03-29-2007, 11:37 PM   #53
Xsatyr
Samurai Chef

Quote:
Didn't read through the thread so it's my mistake, and I've just been responding to what people have been replying with.

I didn't see those, have not read the recent post. It's all good.
Old 03-30-2007, 12:30 AM   #54
Dizzle-2k7
Go Spurs Go

1 season means nothing. kobe has shut down the likes of vince, redd, tmac, and iverson. no one else in the league has that type of versatility on defense. no one.
Dizzle-2k7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2007, 12:31 AM   #55
rezznor
Nosetradamus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizzle-2k7
1 season means nothing. kobe has shut down the likes of vince, redd, tmac, and iverson. no one else in the league has that type of versatility on defense. no one.
your kidding right? you are saying kobe is the best defender out there these past few years?
rezznor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2007, 12:32 AM   #56
Xsatyr
Samurai Chef

Quote:

Stick to the thread title before you post plz.
Old 03-30-2007, 12:33 AM   #57
qrich
King Heno

Quote:

Please, Kobe had Shaq most of those times he "shut down" players. How bout the players who had field days on Kobe? Even the Lakers horrible announcers said that earlier in the season when they lost at home versus the injury riddled Hornets[or Bucks squads].
Old 03-30-2007, 03:12 AM   #58
hotsizzle
Superstar

Quote:

4 time 1st team all defense (2nd team) to 0 all defense appearances. And thats an award the coaches vote on. Lets not forget that 4th qtr against Magic back in 03.

Bryant's poor defense this year has more to do than simply not having Shaq behind him. He made 1st team defense last yr and no player managed to drop 40 on the Lakers all season (exception of Bibby's 40 in OT). This year, he sags and gambles on defense alot...in order to conserve energy on offense most of the time with him being the primary facilitator/scorer with little to no help when half the roster was out (Bryant never had to carry a load like that with Shaq there). Fatigue has become an issue. Other aspects that have hindered him were after effects from offseason knee surgery...lateral movement, explosiveness and timing werent there (but those were earlier in the season)

That said, I'm disappointed this season because it sometimes seems to me that Kobe doesn't want to play defense since none of the others are. I'm not going to excuse him for that because even if the team absolutely blows on defense...he should step up as a leader and lead by example.

As for the thread topic, if I had a player I wanted to shut down and I had to pick between McGrady and Bryant to do it...I'm taking Kobe.
hotsizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2007, 03:29 AM   #59
gb8
Extra Cheese

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotsizzle
4 time 1st team all defense (2nd team) to 0 all defense appearances. And thats an award the coaches vote on. Lets not forget that 4th qtr against Magic back in 03.

Bryant's poor defense this year has more to do than simply not having Shaq behind him. He made 1st team defense last yr and no player managed to drop 40 on the Lakers all season (exception of Bibby's 40 in OT). This year, he sags and gambles on defense alot...in order to conserve energy on offense most of the time with him being the primary facilitator/scorer with little to no help when half the roster was out (Bryant never had to carry a load like that with Shaq there). Fatigue has become an issue. Other aspects that have hindered him were after effects from offseason knee surgery...lateral movement, explosiveness and timing werent there (but those were earlier in the season)

That said, I'm disappointed this season because it sometimes seems to me that Kobe doesn't want to play defense since none of the others are. I'm not going to excuse him for that because even if the team absolutely blows on defense...he should step up as a leader and lead by example.

As for the thread topic, if I had a player I wanted to shut down and I had to pick between McGrady and Bryant to do it...I'm taking Kobe.

Good Post, only seen a few rocks games this year and mcgrady is playing much bette defense. However I will point out battier would still be the first option on the top swingmen in the league. Bryant needs to fix up his defence no doubt this year however as already stated kobe is the better lock down defender. As mentioned by jvg mcgrady does have all the tools to be a dominant defender in the mould of a pippen with his size length speed. Just a quick point anyone trying to say mcgrady has been the better defender for their careers needs to tell me what it is they smokin because it seems it makes reality a mere puppet of your imagination and I could do with some of that. Lol.
gb8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2007, 09:22 AM   #60
SCREWstonRockets
Houston Texan

Quote:
Originally Posted by gb8
Good Post, only seen a few rocks games this year and mcgrady is playing much bette defense. However I will point out battier would still be the first option on the top swingmen in the league.

Of course you put Shane ahead of T-Mac on defensive assignments. You don't want your best player to use all his energy on defense and expect him to spark the offense also. Anyways, I glad to hear people outside Rockets fans have noticed T-Mac's improved defense since joining Houston.
SCREWstonRockets is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: