Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > New York Knicks Forum

New York Knicks Forum New York Knicks forum - NY Knicks message board

Old 03-29-2007, 07:01 AM   #1
bigdaddybluesman
Local High School Star

bigdaddybluesman has an OK reputation so far
Default We won!!!

It seems like Cleveland gave one to us. They had very little fight in them and I think Lebron was hurting.

They look like a bunch of second rate players and when Lebron isn't going all out all the time there is not much there. Nobody can go all out all the time.

He's a big man not a Kobe or a Jordan. He's more like a Magic or Grant Hill. But people want him to be Kobe.

Frye did an excellent job on Gooden who had 4 points, he averages 11.2 points a game.

Frye can play D. He also rebounds well. He just doesn't mix it up inside like Lee does. That's not his game, he's a more finesse type player and there's nothing wrong with that. With Lee/Balkman at the 3 and playing inside more Frye can move better around the perimeter and hit those short jumpers all day.

He does need work on his post up moves. I have not seen them run one pick and roll for Frye though. They run zero plays for him and I don't understand why. I see him throw the pick and he rolls but he almost never gets the ball back. They have to start running some plays for him. He'll give you 20 points and 8-10 rebounds but he needs to be part of an organized offense not this free for all we see too much of.

If he does start working the pick and roll Curry will see a lot less double and triple teams. Run the play for Frye and let Frye get the ball inside to Curry if he's open. They seem to work opposite and Curry doesn't kick it out or make a move fast enough. He's thinking too much.

That's what I mean by working a two man inside out game. Curry and Frye have to have a set group of plays to run between them and I don't see Isiah doing that at all. The PG, Marbury has to get it set.

Once Frye throws the pick Marbury can shot or drive if he's open. Pass it back to Frye who can either shoot or drive to the hoop or pass the ball to Curry if he's open one on one.

I don't see that amount of team work with the Knicks. All that should happen in about 5 seconds. If Curry gets the double he kicks it back out or immediately makes a move to the basket for a dunk, layup or hook shot and will probably be fouled.

If he is not in good position he has to kick it back out and the team resets or he can hit a cutter for an easy dunk since that player has nobody on him(Curry is being doubled). Balkman gets all his points as a cutter to the basket or from offensive rebounds, in that way him and Lee are very similar.

That's why I say let Frye play his Finesse game and use either Lee and Balkman as the cutter in that sequence. While all this is happening the SG is on the weak side setting up for the longer shot. If the ball comes to him he either takes the shot or makes a move. Either driving to the basket or pulling up for the short jumper, if he has a clear lane he drives to the basket.

This is not rocket science, that's basic BBall. But it seems like the Knicks can't run that simple offense. One reason is you need to have been playing together a long time to get the timing down. They have had too many injuries.

Also too much goes through Curry, too much. He doesn't have the skills to make it work yet.

I hate free for all basketball, that's the way Marbury used to play. Francis always played that way. Nobody should really dribble that much, there's no need to and it usually turns into a turnover and fast break for the other team.

I saw more of that controlled offense this game and it probably was because they have been playing together more since the injuries. They would not have won if Francis didn't get hurt, that's the way I feel.
bigdaddybluesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 09:31 AM   #2
Amigo
Knicks Fan 4 Life

Amigo has an OK reputation so far
Default Re: We won!!!

I hate to admit it but the key to the success last nite were the big fouls on L James. That and the D that Jefferies provided against him were the turning point in the game. L James isn't that impressive from the FT line and that saved us. I mean he did make his shots but he's lacking that killer instinct that MJ had when he would visit the Garden. Another guy that I have to give it up to is Malik Rose. He made some shots that put us in the game and ahead. The guy still has a decent jumper and that sub for him came at the right time. Varejao wasn't even touching him. The message was sent in the previous game at Cleveland. The winning shot came from Stephon but Jefferies and Rose's contributions made the shot count. At least in my opinion. Plus, the beatdown LJ took. Priceless.
Amigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 11:13 AM   #3
TheOakman
I hit open layups

TheOakman has an OK reputation so far

I was very surprised we won and I have to give the team some Kudos.

I was mixed on the hard fouls on Lebron last night. I think it definitely had an effect on him and it reminded of the good old days of Oakley/Mason. But those teams were talented and could play. I don't want the Knicks to start playing goon ball to make up for their lack of talent. I mean as an overall basketball fan, I would not want to have seen Lebron get injured for the playoffs because the 30-40 Knicks were trying to play enforcer basketball.
That being said it was nice to see a little heart.
TheOakman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 01:32 PM   #4
Amigo
Knicks Fan 4 Life

As long as they win I don't care how they do it. It might be "bruiserball" but hey, if the end result is a win, I'll take. I'm sure they will too. Malik was hard last nite. The Cavs bench taunting him and what not. He hit a jumper, a long jumper, right in front of them. Good for him.
Old 03-29-2007, 08:00 PM   #5
j Fresh
Local High School Star

j Fresh has an OK reputation so far

We played hard, and from the heart. That's really all that matters at this point, to not tank the season and say it's over. The boys are finally getting it now, they understand that defense is important.

Here's two games notes:

I hate Zydrunas Ilgauskas

I hate Anderson Verejao (I like him but not when he's up against the Knicks)

The biggest floppers in the league. The refs aren't buying their bull**** no more though that's a good thing. But they are some f'n hackers.
j Fresh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 09:22 PM   #6
knickscity
Knicks Board Moderator

knickscity is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableknickscity is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableknickscity is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableknickscity is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableknickscity is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableknickscity is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableknickscity is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableknickscity is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableknickscity is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableknickscity is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableknickscity is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

I didn't mind the hard fouling we gave. It was kinda reminiscent. They need to be more aggressive on D more often. Maybe we could win a few more if we did.
knickscity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 11:16 PM   #7
TheOakman
I hit open layups

Quote:
Originally Posted by j Fresh

Here's two games notes:

I hate Zydrunas Ilgauskas

Don't hate on the big Z. He is that old white guy down and the park with a knee brace, who you don't respect, and then the next thing you know he is hitting 18 foot bank shots from all over the court, and schooling you.
Old 03-29-2007, 11:18 PM   #8
Amigo
Knicks Fan 4 Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOakman
Don't hate on the big Z. He is that old white guy down and the park with a knee brace, who you don't respect, and then the next thing you know he is hitting 18 foot bank shots from all over the court, and schooling you.

That's when you take his other knee out.:)

The way the Knicks were playing it wouldn't have surprised if they did that to win too. Man up NYK!!!
Old 03-30-2007, 07:49 AM   #9
TheOakman
I hit open layups

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amigo
That's when you take his other knee out.:)

The way the Knicks were playing it wouldn't have surprised if they did that to win too. Man up NYK!!!

The way the Knicks were hard fouling Lebron all game, you thought someone on the cavs would have stepped up and put Marbury or someone to the floor with a hard foul, but they never did, which let us physically domiante the game.
Which leads me to my other point. I have not seen alot of the Cavs, but the few games that I have seen and the two most recently, I am not impressed with them at all!! I like Povlovich(sp) the guy can shoot, but for the rest they just dont seem there. Plus there offense is stagnant, it does not seem to me that they are able to get Lebron the ball in good spots for him to do anything with. Even the game where we got blown out I was not impressed.
Old 03-30-2007, 11:09 AM   #10
bigdaddybluesman
Local High School Star

bigdaddybluesman has an OK reputation so far

Riddle me this batman.

How would Cleveland look with the addition of a few of OUR bigmen?

Yeah.........world betters if they had Lee and Frye. Or even Balkman and Curry.

Lebron would thrive with any combination of those 4 guys. Especially Lee hitting the boards which is something they lack.

That team has no heart and soul other than Lebron. Yet they have a good record.

Which leads me to say we are not as good as we should be even with all the injuries.
bigdaddybluesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2007, 12:36 PM   #11
TheOakman
I hit open layups

I Agree that the Cavs are not as good as their record indicates. Drew Gooden never panned out for them, and I also am not a big fan of their coach.

They need to add pieces, but they are stuck in that they are good enough so that they will get a nice seed in the playoffs, thus eliminating any chances they have in the draft, but that they are not good enough to take it to that next level. They need to make some moves in the free agent market. I would think if the money was equal it would be a high selling point to say come play with LeBron.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: