Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 03-29-2007, 10:53 AM   #1
poorlilrich
woop woop

poorlilrich is popular on this boardpoorlilrich is popular on this boardpoorlilrich is popular on this boardpoorlilrich is popular on this board
Default Reparations

Do you think descendants of slaves should get reparations?

The Japanese got theirs after the camps, why can't blacks get them after being enslaved. I blame the state of black america on the white folks. After being liberated, the former slaves were kicked to the curbs without a shirt on their back. You gotta find some one to survive, so they became hoodlums and deliquents. I know it is not realistic, but if the descendant of former slaves got some loot or something; the crime rate among african americans will go down. Did the Jews get theirs after the holocaust?

PS - Im not a descendant of a slave, so Im not bitter. Im just asking for y'all opinions.
poorlilrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 10:57 AM   #2
VCDrivesAPorscheToWork
Very good NBA starter

VCDrivesAPorscheToWork is considered somewhat coolVCDrivesAPorscheToWork is considered somewhat coolVCDrivesAPorscheToWork is considered somewhat cool
Default Re: Reparations

the problem is... the Japanese were the ones who were imprisoned themselves and wrongfully accused. that's why they got their check for $20,000.

no one today is a slaveholder and no African american today is a slave.

I will leave it at that.
VCDrivesAPorscheToWork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 10:58 AM   #3
bokes15
Playoffs!

bokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by poorlilrich
Do you think descendants of slaves should get reparations?

The Japanese got theirs after the camps, why can't blacks get them after being enslaved. I blame the state of black america on the white folks. After being liberated, the former slaves were kicked to the curbs without a shirt on their back. You gotta find some one to survive, so they became hoodlums and deliquents. I know it is not realistic, but if the descendant of former slaves got some loot or something; the crime rate among african americans will go down. Did the Jews get theirs after the holocaust?

PS - Im not a descendant of a slave, so Im not bitter. Im just asking for y'all opinions.

Are you serious?
bokes15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 11:00 AM   #4
Heilige
An Icon Forever

Heilige has an incredible reputation hereHeilige has an incredible reputation hereHeilige has an incredible reputation hereHeilige has an incredible reputation hereHeilige has an incredible reputation hereHeilige has an incredible reputation hereHeilige has an incredible reputation here

To get true reparations family trees and slave records would have to be examined to track down those people that truly benefited. Even then, this is easier said than done as much of the wealth has changed hands many times by now and split multiple times. Not too mention that much of the wealth may have eroded over time and that then brings us into the grey area of what wealth counts towards the reparations? Do you take the estimated wealth of the time adjusted for inflation, or do you count wealth that was accumulated as a result of the previously mentioned wealth but wasnít in existence at the time the slaves were freed. Itís a very, very difficult issue.

Howdoou decide where the money comes from and how do you decide who gets to use it? Do all black people get to use it or just those that can prove their roots go back to slavery? What about slaves of different colours, do they gain access to this infrastructure?

If reparations are ever settled, they will come from the government on the backs of todayís tax-payers. Essentially, the black/white/hispanic/asian population of today will pay for the reparations. Not too mention that to my knowledge the largest overall contributor to taxes in the US is the middle-class, so once again the true target is missed.
Heilige is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 11:12 AM   #5
The_Masterplan
Banned

The_Masterplan has an OK reputation so far

Since black people will use it just to make their life better and not for guns, drugs etc.

Look man, there are african americans at my school that just sit around and dont do ****. Why is that? A lack of motivation? Of course there are a lot of white people that do it but i only see a few african americans at my school actually progressing and trying to get a good education instead of putting it to waste.

Blame whoever you want to blame for that but lack of motivation and effort will not be solved with money.

Also, abortion is already lowering crime rate.
The_Masterplan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 11:17 AM   #6
bokes15
Playoffs!

bokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Masterplan
Since black people will use it just to make their life better and not for guns, drugs etc.

Look man, there are african americans at my school that just sit around and dont do ****. Why is that? A lack of motivation? Of course there are a lot of white people that do it but i only see a few african americans at my school actually progressing and trying to get a good education instead of putting it to waste.

Blame whoever you want to blame for that but lack of motivation and effort will not be solved with money.

Don't use poorlilrich's statement and think we all feel this way. It's like saying, toss money to all the bums on the street and it'll reduce the rate of homeless people. Yeah, it probably would but at the same time who's to say they wouldn't spend it on drugs? And as far as the "few african americans" statement... I'm in college and there are MANY african americans at my school who are here and strive for success.
bokes15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 11:24 AM   #7
VCDrivesAPorscheToWork
Very good NBA starter

VCDrivesAPorscheToWork is considered somewhat coolVCDrivesAPorscheToWork is considered somewhat coolVCDrivesAPorscheToWork is considered somewhat cool

not all African Americans are gangsters or basketball players who have aspirations to be NBA players/rappers.

there are many decent individuals who simply want to strive to earn a good living.
Old 03-29-2007, 11:26 AM   #8
B-Low
The Love B-Low

B-Low is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableB-Low is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableB-Low is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableB-Low is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableB-Low is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableB-Low is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableB-Low is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableB-Low is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableB-Low is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableB-Low is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableB-Low is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Like VC said none of us were slaves so IMO it would be disrespectful to take money for their suffering. I mean what would we spend the money on? College? probably not. Odds are 90% of us would spend money on clothes/cars and other materialistic stuff.

IF any money was given i'd say give it to a black charity (not the NAACP cuz i don't like them) or something. But no way should blacks in general be given anything because WE weren't wronged

If you're gonna do that and try to repay people for the past then i think we ALL owe the native americans a country or two lol
B-Low is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 11:33 AM   #9
Heilige
An Icon Forever

Heilige has an incredible reputation hereHeilige has an incredible reputation hereHeilige has an incredible reputation hereHeilige has an incredible reputation hereHeilige has an incredible reputation hereHeilige has an incredible reputation hereHeilige has an incredible reputation here

This was from a book I read:

Examples Of Reparation Payments

a. 1952 Germany - $822 million - Holocaust Surviviors

b. 1971 United States - $1 billion + 44 million acres of land - Alaska Natives Land Settlement

c. 1980 United States - $81 million - Klamaths of Oregon

d. 1985 United States - $105 million - Lakota of South Dakota

e. 1985 United States - $12.3 million - Seminoles of Florida

f. 1985 United States - $31 million - Chippewas of Wisconsin

g. 1986 United States - $32 million for 1836 treaty violations - Ottawas of Michigan

h. 1988 Canada - $230 million - Japanese Canadians

i. 1988 Canada - 250,000 square miles of land - Eskimos and Indigenous People

j. 1990 Austria - $25 million - Jewish claims on Austria

k. 1990 United States - $1.2 billion - Japanese Americans

Reparations should be used to create law scools, mediacl schools, television networks, additional colleges, radio stations, national newspapers, hospitalss, scholarships, housing, business grants. and land acuistion. The objective would not be for 36 million African Americans to individually receive X number of dollars.

My thoughts on reparations have already been posted in my other post above.
Heilige is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 01:55 PM   #10
Amigo
Knicks Fan 4 Life

Amigo has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Masterplan

Damn.
Amigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 02:05 PM   #11
Mr.Fundamentals
I brick open layups

Mr.Fundamentals has an OK reputation so far

i have been waiting to say this 4 a while........people think that i am crazy but if it weren't 4 slavery all blacks such as myself would be in Africa starving, poorer than wat i already am, and probably aids infected....i am a firm believer in GOD..this was his plan to show us his power
Mr.Fundamentals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 02:06 PM   #12
Mr.Fundamentals
I brick open layups

Mr.Fundamentals has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-Low
Like VC said none of us were slaves so IMO it would be disrespectful to take money for their suffering. I mean what would we spend the money on? College? probably not. Odds are 90% of us would spend money on clothes/cars and other materialistic stuff.

IF any money was given i'd say give it to a black charity (not the NAACP cuz i don't like them) or something. But no way should blacks in general be given anything because WE weren't wronged

If you're gonna do that and try to repay people for the past then i think we ALL owe the native americans a country or two lol

Hope everybody reads this cause he knows wats he sayin
Mr.Fundamentals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 02:49 PM   #13
apriorist
High School Starter

apriorist has an OK reputation so far

There is a 0% chance that reparations for slavery will happen. Slavery ended almost 150 years ago. Reparations for slavery is just some crazy idea from blame-the-Man, don't-want-to-work-hard, crazy leftist.
apriorist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 02:50 PM   #14
VCDrivesAPorscheToWork
Very good NBA starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by apriorist
There is a 0% chance that reparations for slavery will happen. Slavery ended almost 150 years ago. Reparations for slavery is just some crazy idea from blame-the-Man, don't-want-to-work-hard, crazy leftist.

I have been exonerated!

Old 03-29-2007, 03:12 PM   #15
Rasheed1
3-time NBA All-Star

Rasheed1 has an incredible reputation hereRasheed1 has an incredible reputation hereRasheed1 has an incredible reputation hereRasheed1 has an incredible reputation hereRasheed1 has an incredible reputation hereRasheed1 has an incredible reputation here

Personally i believe that reparations SHOULD have happened.. But in the reality I dont think it should be done..

And I also think the "I wasnt there/my people didnt own slaves" argument is weak.

When the country apologizes and makes amends for past wrongs, we do it as a country....not as individuals... When a president stands up and makes an apology for something it is done in the name of the United States as a whole..

Reparations shouldnt be done because IMO there isnt the proper support and I wouldnt trust people on either side not to try and spin the situation into something negative when it should be a positive..
Rasheed1 is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: