Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 03-29-2007, 03:33 PM   #16
DeuceWallaces
I am your density

DeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Re: Reparations

I am for reperations too. Some black families are prospering, but a strong majority are at a major social, educational, and economic disadvantage the second they are born, and this can easily be traced back to 350 years of systematic slavery and segragation.

Whether it's a major tax break, big time Pell Grants, or whatever.
DeuceWallaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 03:36 PM   #17
VCDrivesAPorscheToWork
Very good NBA starter

VCDrivesAPorscheToWork is considered somewhat coolVCDrivesAPorscheToWork is considered somewhat coolVCDrivesAPorscheToWork is considered somewhat cool

300 million Americans

35 million African Americans

220 million Caucasian Americans.

theoretically reparations can be afforded.........

but 220:35 odds?
VCDrivesAPorscheToWork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 04:04 PM   #18
rezznor
Nosetradamus

rezznor is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerezznor is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerezznor is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerezznor is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerezznor is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerezznor is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerezznor is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerezznor is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerezznor is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerezznor is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerezznor is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

look what happened to katrina victims to see what happens when you give poor, uneducated people a nice large sum of cash. a vast amount of them just blew the money, sold their fema trailers, trashed the hotels they were allowed to stay in, and did nothing to improve their lot. they even had the gall to demand more assistance after a year of getting a free ride. this isnt everyone of course, but a great amount of these people had no ambition to begin with, they took the fema money and blew it, and then expected more.

look, america is the land of opportunity, every country has its poor, but here you have the best chance to pull yourself out. if you arent doing something to get out of the getto already, a nice check aint gonna change that. my parents lived in the projects, they pulled themselves out by themselves. poor african americans can too.
rezznor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 04:06 PM   #19
The_Masterplan
Banned

The_Masterplan has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by rezznor
look what happened to katrina victims to see what happens when you give poor, uneducated people a nice large sum of cash. a vast amount of them just blew the money, sold their fema trailers, trashed the hotels they were allowed to stay in, and did nothing to improve their lot. they even had the gall to demand more assistance after a year of getting a free ride. this isnt everyone of course, but a great amount of these people had no ambition to begin with, they took the fema money and blew it, and then expected more.

look, america is the land of opportunity, every country has its poor, but here you have the best chance to pull yourself out. if you arent doing something to get out of the getto already, a nice check aint gonna change that. my parents lived in the projects, they pulled themselves out by themselves. poor african americans can too.

i was just about to say that.
The_Masterplan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 04:13 PM   #20
rezznor
Nosetradamus

rezznor is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerezznor is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerezznor is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerezznor is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerezznor is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerezznor is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerezznor is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerezznor is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerezznor is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerezznor is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerezznor is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

i know alot of people from thurgood marshall school of law. its a majority black law school, and the most diverse law school in the nation. many of these people were from the getto, their families still live in the getto, but you wouldnt know it when you talk to them. they are articulate, smart, and ambitous. when they graduate, they will be well-paid and be able to take care of their families.

now if these african americans can do it, why cant others? i'll tell you why, its because it wasn't cool for many to go to school and make good grades. people would rather be slinging drugs, speak in slang, think athletics or rap will make them rich, or are too lazy to work and would rather collect unemployment.

btw, this school is located in the middle of the third ward, a historic black neighborhood, and not a nice place to live. as expected, there is alot of crime right outside of campus. guess who commits them? you black thugs preying on other young blacks who are in school trying to improve themselves.

the "man" isnt keeping you blacks down. blacks are keeping themselves down. like it or not, bill cosby is right. stop making excuses. yes, you are at a disadvantage when compared to whites, but that doesnt mean you cant do it.

Last edited by rezznor : 03-29-2007 at 04:16 PM.
Old 03-29-2007, 04:20 PM   #21
DeuceWallaces
I am your density

DeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:

That is an extremely ignorant stance. Everyone was given assistance not just poor people, and everyone blew it equally; Superbowl Tickets, month long Disney World stays, etc. There is 0 proof that people of lower income or color blew FEMA Assistance at any greater rate than Whites or Upper Class members.

Quote:

Wrong again, social mobility is at an all time low in America relative to other G8 nations and our own statistics from the 60's and 70's, and there are plenty of empirical studies to back that up.
Old 03-29-2007, 04:32 PM   #22
rezznor
Nosetradamus

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeuceWallaces
That is an extremely ignorant stance. Everyone was given assistance not just poor people, and everyone blew it equally; Superbowl Tickets, month long Disney World stays, etc. There is 0 proof that people of lower income or color blew FEMA Assistance at any greater rate than Whites or Upper Class members.

Wrong again, social mobility is at an all time low in America relative to other G8 nations and our own statistics from the 60's and 70's, and there are plenty of empirical studies to back that up.

how is it ignorant? i live in houston, i see it FIRST HAND. i see it on the news, i read the reports. i didnt say all people blew it, i said a large amount of them did.

maybe social mobility is lower because the priorities of americas youth have changed? back in the day, even if you were poor, everyone knew that "go to school, make good grades, and you will improve yourself". you dont see that so much now. now its all about making the quick buck. be an athlete, be a rapper, be a drug dealer... what happened to be a doctor, be a lawyer?

again, my parents, and many others i know were even MORE disadvantaged then others who were born here. they came here without a DIME and didnt speak the LANGUAGE.
dad worked and went to school at night. mom worked 2-3 jobs for years. they scrimped and saved, didnt blow money on any unnecessary ****. they made themselves succesful. they live in a 6 bedroom, $750,000 home now that they dont even need since all the kids have moved out.

if they can do it, anyone can. dont give me excuses.
Old 03-29-2007, 05:53 PM   #23
VCDrivesAPorscheToWork
Very good NBA starter

VCDrivesAPorscheToWork is considered somewhat coolVCDrivesAPorscheToWork is considered somewhat coolVCDrivesAPorscheToWork is considered somewhat cool

the individual can break stereotypes and work toward bettering him or herself.

the population cannot do so as easily. why else are there so many stereotypes pervaded among different races (includin Caucasians) that cannot be snapped even though there are examples of many people who defy them?
Old 03-29-2007, 06:19 PM   #24
rezznor
Nosetradamus

Quote:
Originally Posted by VCDrivesAPorscheToWork
the individual can break stereotypes and work toward bettering him or herself.

the population cannot do so as easily. why else are there so many stereotypes pervaded among different races (includin Caucasians) that cannot be snapped even though there are examples of many people who defy them?

its the culture of the people you are surrounded with. i truly believe any person can pull themselves up, if they have the right motivation. many black youths, however, do not have the motivation because of the culture around them today. i see asian, white kids, hispanic kids who are the same way. surround yourself with lazy people and you will adopt their lack of priorities.

question: why are immigrants, regardless of where they come from, generally able to eventually pull themselves out of the ghetto eventually, usually within one generation? you have seen it happen over and over. the irish, italians, chinese, vietnamese, and now its happening again with the hispanics. in a few decades it will be another poor, impoverished group from somewhere else in the world. why are the african americans who have been here for generations having such a hard time? something else is going on. of course i can blame hip hop and all that right now, but that wasnt the case 20, 40, 60, 100 years ago. is there really some sort of conspiracy against the black man? i dont think so, but its hard to explain why as a whole group, they still seem to be impovershed.
Old 03-29-2007, 06:31 PM   #25
VCDrivesAPorscheToWork
Very good NBA starter

just saying, many have the ability to succeed, but because they don't, they want to take the next best course of action... ask for the cash.
Old 03-29-2007, 07:29 PM   #26
Rameek
Krust Kingz

Rameek is popular on this boardRameek is popular on this boardRameek is popular on this boardRameek is popular on this board

Quote:
Originally Posted by apriorist
There is a 0% chance that reparations for slavery will happen. Slavery ended almost 150 years ago. Reparations for slavery is just some crazy idea from blame-the-Man, don't-want-to-work-hard, crazy leftist.
REALLY? ah yes free the slaves on paper but you cant vote, read, write, get an education, get a job, own ANYTHING! That's why they had the civil rights movement in the late 60's
The ignorance of people not to realize how a version of slavery was around until the 1960's and the hatred for black people was ingrained into a culture a social norm. Then to expect 400 years of being hated to suddenly disappear and there be no ill social and economic effects of not being able succeed or have a fair chance to evolve like others in a country that you help build and maintain is ludicrous. Unlike many other people that have been here they were not stripped of there culture language history... They were allowed to have there culture identity and better means to earn money eventually to own something there in America. So a majority of black people come from uneducated, segregated, poor areas. What type of mentality do you expect to evolve from that? The evidence is Katrina...
To claim that only black people came from Africa and you would have been poor or starving is ridiculous. Black people are from all over Asia you have just been taught they are different than you. Africa became that way by the hands of invaders with boom sticks in one hand and a bible in the other....
Many black people do themselves a discredit these days by having still an enslaved mind no matter how much progress has occurred and no matter how rich they become. Black people don't have a community or social responsibility to one another. Once they make money and escape the social doldrums no one really goes back to help others and teach others.
Rameek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2007, 01:55 PM   #27
DeuceWallaces
I am your density

Quote:
how is it ignorant? i live in houston, i see it FIRST HAND. i see it on the news, i read the reports. i didnt say all people blew it, i said a large amount of them did.

maybe social mobility is lower because the priorities of americas youth have changed? back in the day, even if you were poor, everyone knew that "go to school, make good grades, and you will improve yourself". you dont see that so much now. now its all about making the quick buck. be an athlete, be a rapper, be a drug dealer... what happened to be a doctor, be a lawyer?

again, my parents, and many others i know were even MORE disadvantaged then others who were born here. they came here without a DIME and didnt speak the LANGUAGE.
dad worked and went to school at night. mom worked 2-3 jobs for years. they scrimped and saved, didnt blow money on any unnecessary ****. they made themselves succesful. they live in a 6 bedroom, $750,000 home now that they dont even need since all the kids have moved out.

if they can do it, anyone can. dont give me excuses.

Wrong. Consider yourself lucky if that really happened to your family, but there are mountains of empirical studies proving you, and your poor stereotypes, entirely wrong.
Old 03-31-2007, 02:04 PM   #28
VCDrivesAPorscheToWork
Very good NBA starter

Deuce, can you quote some of these sources. I would like to read them and if they do show what you claim, I may have to revise many of my personal beliefs about socioeconomic matters.
Old 03-31-2007, 02:13 PM   #29
Heilige
An Icon Forever

Heilige has an incredible reputation hereHeilige has an incredible reputation hereHeilige has an incredible reputation hereHeilige has an incredible reputation hereHeilige has an incredible reputation hereHeilige has an incredible reputation hereHeilige has an incredible reputation here

Quote:

Bull****. Don't listen to him VC. I would love to see these "studies" that you have. An all time low? Get ouuta here man.
Heilige is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2007, 02:31 PM   #30
rezznor
Nosetradamus

Quote:
Wrong. Consider yourself lucky if that really happened to your family, but there are mountains of empirical studies proving you, and your poor stereotypes, entirely wrong.

not just my family, but nearly every immigrant family i know. it was not "luck" that my parents pulled themselves up. it was hard work and smart saving. something anyone can do. are you telling me that immigrants who come here from all over the world have more of an advantage then someone whos family has been here for generations?
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: