Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 03-29-2007, 07:48 PM   #166
tpcslj47
Kids at the park dunk on me
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 213
tpcslj47 has an OK reputation so far
Default Re: Lebron just lost major points in my book (and got owned).

does anyone know where to actually get a pair of starburys? I hate my shox and wanna give these a shot, but i dont got any "steve and barry's" where i live.
tpcslj47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 07:48 PM   #167
-primetime-
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Lebron just lost major points in my book (and got owned).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xsatyr
Hear is one review about Nike and Reebok that is awful. I know it is only one review but I think I can take their word for it. I would know for sure if I found two reviews bc that is like twice as many as one.

well those two reviews is all that me and YOU have to go by right now...

oh and the fact that THEY ARE $15 DOLLARS AND DESIGNED FOR INNER CITY KIDS THAAT HAVE NO MONEY.....there is that fact also...
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 07:51 PM   #168
Xsatyr
Samurai Chef
 
Xsatyr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 3,117
Xsatyr is considered somewhat coolXsatyr is considered somewhat cool
Default Re: Lebron just lost major points in my book (and got owned).

Quote:
Originally Posted by -primetime-
so not very long then?

Finding only two reviews means nothing is what I am saying. Bottom line people play with them and I never here them complain about any pain. That is a start, not in favor of Nike, long term is yet to be determined. But so far the advantage goes to Marbury.
Xsatyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 07:53 PM   #169
ElPigto
*****istrator
 
ElPigto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 5,310
ElPigto is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterElPigto is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterElPigto is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterElPigto is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterElPigto is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterElPigto is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterElPigto is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterElPigto is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterElPigto is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Re: Lebron just lost major points in my book (and got owned).

Quote:
Originally Posted by -primetime-
well those two reviews is all that me and YOU have to go by right now...

oh and the fact that THEY ARE $15 DOLLARS AND DESIGNED FOR INNER CITY KIDS THAAT HAVE NO MONEY.....there is that fact also...

Dude, I've played with cheap shoes before, trust me, they aren't as bad as you make them sound. I don't know how they last throughout 82 games of basketball, but I mean cheap shoes are nothing to be ashamed off.

I remember playing in Olajuwon's spaldings that I got for like 25 dollars at Payless Shoe Source, and the tennis shoes worked great. I know they weren't the greatest design, but if you can play basketball then who the hell cares.

I bet you are one of those dudes who demands his mommy and daddy buy him nothing less than $100 pair of shoes. Get over yourself already, GEEZ!
ElPigto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 07:54 PM   #170
Xsatyr
Samurai Chef
 
Xsatyr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 3,117
Xsatyr is considered somewhat coolXsatyr is considered somewhat cool
Default Re: Lebron just lost major points in my book (and got owned).

Quote:
Originally Posted by -primetime-
well those two reviews is all that me and YOU have to go by right now...
oh and the fact that THEY ARE $15 DOLLARS AND DESIGNED FOR INNER CITY KIDS THAAT HAVE NO MONEY.....there is that fact also...

I go by people I actually play with but whatever. I guess that does not qualify as a source, you know people who actually play with them. Nope can't make a valid argument as to how that would actually be a reference for the quality of a pair of shoes.
Xsatyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 07:54 PM   #171
-primetime-
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Lebron just lost major points in my book (and got owned).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xsatyr
Finding only two reviews means nothing is what I am saying. Bottom line people play with them and I never here them complain about any pain. That is a start, not in favor of Nike, long term is yet to be determined. But so far the advantage goes to Marbury.

my piont was once they are out for a long time there will be people/reviews complaining about pain...

like this guy:

http://basketbawful.blogspot.com/200...oe-review.html

Overall Rating: 5 or 15 Shots
The final rating of these shoes really depends on what you're using them for. If you want something that looks cool to walk around in, then the Starbury Ones are a damn good shoe for $15. You could probably even use some gel inserts to make them more comfortable. BUT...if you expect to play basketball in them, you're going to be tragically disappointed. Not only will you end up with chronically sore feet to go along with your aching knees and ankles, the shoes aren't constructed well enough to last long under the pressure of serious balling. This isn't in the tagline, but Marbury might have created the first fully disposable basketball shoe.



oh and they come out April 1st...

http://www.steveandbarrys.com/

I guess only time will tell...
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 07:55 PM   #172
-primetime-
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Lebron just lost major points in my book (and got owned).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xsatyr
I go by people I actually play with but whatever. I guess that does not qualify as a source, you know people who actually play with them. Nope can't make a valid argument as to how that would actually be a reference for the quality of a shoe.

so you know people that own the Starburys that come out April 1st then?

is that what youare saying?
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 07:58 PM   #173
tpcslj47
Kids at the park dunk on me
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 213
tpcslj47 has an OK reputation so far
Default Re: Lebron just lost major points in my book (and got owned).

Quote:
Originally Posted by -primetime-
my piont was once they are out for a long time there will be people/reviews complaining about pain...

like this guy:

http://basketbawful.blogspot.com/200...oe-review.html

Overall Rating: 5 or 15 Shots
The final rating of these shoes really depends on what you're using them for. If you want something that looks cool to walk around in, then the Starbury Ones are a damn good shoe for $15. You could probably even use some gel inserts to make them more comfortable. BUT...if you expect to play basketball in them, you're going to be tragically disappointed. Not only will you end up with chronically sore feet to go along with your aching knees and ankles, the shoes aren't constructed well enough to last long under the pressure of serious balling. This isn't in the tagline, but Marbury might have created the first fully disposable basketball shoe.



oh and they come out April 1st...

http://www.steveandbarrys.com/

I guess only time will tell...


The Starbury II's come out April 1, the originals have been out since i dont know when.
tpcslj47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 07:59 PM   #174
-primetime-
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Lebron just lost major points in my book (and got owned).

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElPigto
Dude, I've played with cheap shoes before, trust me, they aren't as bad as you make them sound. I don't know how they last throughout 82 games of basketball, but I mean cheap shoes are nothing to be ashamed off.

I remember playing in Olajuwon's spaldings that I got for like 25 dollars at Payless Shoe Source, and the tennis shoes worked great. I know they weren't the greatest design, but if you can play basketball then who the hell cares.

I bet you are one of those dudes who demands his mommy and daddy buy him nothing less than $100 pair of shoes. Get over yourself already, GEEZ!

I NEVER SAID ANYTHING OTHER THAN THE NIKES ARE HIGHER QUALITY...

that is all...

what do you mean "get over yourself, geez"...

I applaud Marbury and what he is trying to do...

I never said cheap shoes are something to be ashamed of...(although kids will be, but shouldn't)

I am just saying to those of you that think they really are the same quality as Nike like they claim to be that you are wrong...nothing more...nothing less




oh and I say that Marbury is under contract to wear that shoe for 2 seasons and is owned in a similiar fashion to Lebron and Nike...
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 08:02 PM   #175
SomeBunghole
Banned
 
SomeBunghole's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Canada
Posts: 746
SomeBunghole has an OK reputation so far
Default Re: Lebron just lost major points in my book (and got owned).

You know the first think I thought about when I heard about these shoes? Some of my college buddies. These shoes would've been great for them. No, they weren't inner city kids, they were just middle- and working-class kids trying to make, and pay, their way through college. We used to play ball once or maybe twice a week, and I used to worry about the fact that some of these guys played in their indoor soccer shoes, which was just asking for an ankle injury. Being poor college students and not having their parents send them thousands of dollars a month like mine, they could hardly afford to buy 150 dollar basketball shoes.

They didn't need super-durable shoes, they only played once a week. They didn't need something that looked cool, some of them didn't even follow basketball. They just wanted basketball shoes to play in once in a while that didn't cost as much as their monthly food budget.
SomeBunghole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 08:04 PM   #176
-primetime-
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Lebron just lost major points in my book (and got owned).

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpcslj47
The Starbury II's come out April 1, the originals have been out since i dont know when.

well this articel was made Aug 16 2006....

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=2551942

so I guess it has been about 6 or 7 months now...

I don't know if not hearing about them until now is a good or a bad thing...
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 08:07 PM   #177
-primetime-
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Lebron just lost major points in my book (and got owned).

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpcslj47
does anyone know where to actually get a pair of starburys? I hate my shox and wanna give these a shot, but i dont got any "steve and barry's" where i live.

you can get them here for $20...

http://search.ebay.com/search/search...e=starbury+one

maybe a shipping fee also though
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 08:20 PM   #178
DatZNasty
NBA rookie of the year
 
DatZNasty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 4,846
DatZNasty is considered somewhat coolDatZNasty is considered somewhat coolDatZNasty is considered somewhat cool
Default Re: Lebron just lost major points in my book (and got owned).

Quote:
They didn't need super-durable shoes, they only played once a week. They didn't need something that looked cool, some of them didn't even follow basketball. They just wanted basketball shoes to play in once in a while that didn't cost as much as their monthly food budget.
That and the targeted in poverty demographic are the only people I'd recommend these for. The type of dudes who go to the YMCA like on a lunch break on Monday's and Friday's.

They just wouldn't hold up for an over 200lb, over 2hr a day playing, over 35 inch leap having, hyperactive player like myself. I'd bottom out those insoles in matter of hours, if that. Of course, I could also use the 30% off coupon for Footlocker this weekend and get the TMac 1 Retro's for 18$

As far as arguing it I'm done, but I just don't get why people (generally it's people who dont even hoop) would assume that the shoe industry is different from any other product you can buy on the market where you have tons of different namebrands and price ranges to choose from, some better than others. To assume every shoe has the exact level of durability, ankle protection, traction, and overall quality is as ridiculous as doing the same with any other product.

And all these intentionally vague quotes about "constructed the same way" and "same materials" are that vague on purpose, because they're intentionally designed to be misleading just the same as Nike and their "BOING" campaign implying without directly saying that they make you jump higher is.

They make it sound as if in the factory there's a box of leather, rubber, shoe laces, glue, and company logos and one 5 year old Chinese girl goes and grabs her supplies and a Nike check and the next grabs from the same box and grabs a Marbury logo instead.
DatZNasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 08:25 PM   #179
-primetime-
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Lebron just lost major points in my book (and got owned).

Quote:
Originally Posted by DatZNasty
That and the targeted in poverty demographic are the only people I'd recommend these for. The type of dudes who go to the YMCA like on a lunch break on Monday's and Friday's.

They just wouldn't hold up for an over 200lb, over 2hr a day playing, over 35 inch leap having, hyperactive player like myself. I'd bottom out those insoles in matter of hours, if that. Of course, I could also use the 30% off coupon for Footlocker this weekend and get the TMac 1 Retro's for 18$

As far as arguing it I'm done, but I just don't get why people (generally it's people who dont even hoop) would assume that the shoe industry is different from any other product you can buy on the market where you have tons of different namebrands and price ranges to choose from, some better than others. To assume every shoe has the exact level of durability, ankle protection, traction, and overall quality is as ridiculous as doing the same with any other product.

And all these intentionally vague quotes about "constructed the same way" and "same materials" are that vague on purpose, because they're intentionally designed to be misleading just the same as Nike and their "BOING" campaign implying without directly saying that they make you jump higher is.

They make it sound as if in the factory there's a box of leather, rubber, shoe laces, glue, and company logos and one 5 year old Chinese girl goes and grabs her supplies and a Nike check and the next grabs from the same box and grabs a Marbury logo instead.

wow...someone that agrees with me...

yeah this is why I compared Nikes to Ferrari....they are way over priced but they are still one of the best out there...other cars will get you from piont A to piont B but the ride will have more bumps...

shoes, cars, houses, microwaves...whatever...there are expensive over-priced ones and there are cheap ones that claim to be just as good as the best...
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 08:30 PM   #180
SomeBunghole
Banned
 
SomeBunghole's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Canada
Posts: 746
SomeBunghole has an OK reputation so far
Default Re: Lebron just lost major points in my book (and got owned).

Quote:
Originally Posted by -primetime-
wow...someone that agrees with me...

yeah this is why I compared Nikes to Ferrari....they are way over priced but they are still one of the best out there...other cars will get you from piont A to piont B but the ride will have more bumps...

You've never owned a Ferrari or been in one, have you? Comfort, reliability and durability are all sacrificed for speed and performance. You need to change timing belts on your Ferrari more often than the one on your 1978 Pinto. All kinds of things wear down fast because of the extreme strain all that power puts on them. And don't even think about racking up 200,000 miles on the odometer of your Ferrari like you could on a Civic.
SomeBunghole is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by:
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:46 PM.




NBA Basketball Forum Key Links:
InsideHoops Home
NBA Rumors
Basketball Blog
NBA Daily Recaps
NBA Videos
Fantasy Basketball
NBA Mock Draft
NBA Free Agents
All-Star Weekend
---
High School Basketball
Streetball
---
InsideHoops Twitter
Search Our Site













Powered by vBulletin Version 3.5.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. Terms of Use/Service | Privacy Policy