Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 03-30-2007, 11:37 AM   #1
Seņor Cedric
why live??

Seņor Cedric is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSeņor Cedric is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSeņor Cedric is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSeņor Cedric is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSeņor Cedric is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSeņor Cedric is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSeņor Cedric is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSeņor Cedric is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSeņor Cedric is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSeņor Cedric is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Defensive Player of the Year Guidelines by Ced

By Ced, yes, by Ced. I'm drunk, so be happy with my typing.

Josh Smith is not a defensive player of the year. The game is more than stats, and stats o na losing team? Pshh. Who has Smit hshut down? Does he change the opposition's game plan? Debate ends here.

Emeka Okafor is o na team in the Durant-Oden swepstakes, he is not a candidate. A lottery team having the DPOY is a mockery.

The only legit answers are:
-Tim Duncan
-Ben Wallace
-Marcus Camby (the only defensive player o nthe Nuggies)
-Jermaine O'Neal (but doesn't really alter the game)

So it's Duncan by default for me. No one else comes close.

Argue for someone else, and let me shoot you down.
Seņor Cedric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2007, 11:40 AM   #2
ElPigto
*****istrator

ElPigto is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterElPigto is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterElPigto is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterElPigto is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterElPigto is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterElPigto is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterElPigto is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterElPigto is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterElPigto is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Re: Defensive Player of the Year Guidelines by Ced

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seņor Cedric

Josh Smith is not a defensive player of the year. The game is more than stats, and stats o na losing team? Pshh. Who has Smit hshut down? Does he change the opposition's game plan? Debate ends here.

Emeka Okafor is o na team in the Durant-Oden swepstakes, he is not a candidate. A lottery team having the DPOY is a mockery.

-Tim Duncan
-Ben Wallace

Come on Ced, Camby?

You missed Shane as well. I'm sort of busy right now, some I'm not really posting long response, maybe some other time of the day I will respond to you if you argue against my man Shane Battier.
ElPigto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2007, 11:43 AM   #3
saKf
Roy = my new fave.

saKf is a pretty well-respected postersaKf is a pretty well-respected postersaKf is a pretty well-respected postersaKf is a pretty well-respected poster

Kevin Garnett is a possible answer.

Marcus Camby's name shouldn't be mentioned in this thread. Denver has awful, awful interior defense and often gets hit pretty hard on the glass, despite Camby's nice numbers.
saKf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2007, 11:46 AM   #4
Seņor Cedric
why live??

Seņor Cedric is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSeņor Cedric is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSeņor Cedric is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSeņor Cedric is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSeņor Cedric is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSeņor Cedric is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSeņor Cedric is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSeņor Cedric is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSeņor Cedric is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSeņor Cedric is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Cambyh is saving them from being poo poo.

Yes SHane deserves a lot of mention, I forgot, Ijust skimmed through the league i nalphabetical order and thought of random players.

Duncan
Battier

eveyone else.

Ced 0- sakf-1

:)
Seņor Cedric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2007, 11:46 AM   #5
hateraid
Is it in you?

hateraid is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterhateraid is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterhateraid is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterhateraid is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterhateraid is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterhateraid is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterhateraid is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterhateraid is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterhateraid is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterhateraid is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterhateraid is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

I kind of see what you mean. It's kind of like wanting your MVP to be on one of the more successful teams in the league. Having said that, I think DPOY is a little different because it's based on one facet of the game. Also mixed with the idea that his team may not have offensive fire power, the defensive record still stands.
Having said that I'd still go with Emeka. His chances may be hurt because of injury, but i like his chances. Respond to that you drunken mess.
hateraid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2007, 11:47 AM   #6
saKf
Roy = my new fave.

saKf is a pretty well-respected postersaKf is a pretty well-respected postersaKf is a pretty well-respected postersaKf is a pretty well-respected poster

Get Camby off of that list, Ced - and do it now.

He blocks shots, yes. But Denver routinely gets pwnz0r3d by good interior players.

Blocking shots is all he does. If he blocked 2 shots a game instead of 3, nobody would think of giving him DPOY.

The Josh Smith of centers, Marcus Camby is.
Old 03-30-2007, 11:50 AM   #7
tmacman
Good High School Starter

tmacman is starting to rub some people the wrong way

Iguodala. Those are all shot blockers right there. Oh how come not J-Smoove?
tmacman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2007, 11:51 AM   #8
saKf
Roy = my new fave.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmacman
Iguodala. Those are all shot blockers right there. Oh how come not J-Smoove?
Did you even read the first post, or just the list?
Old 03-30-2007, 12:06 PM   #9
adamcz
Bucks fan

adamcz is considered somewhat cooladamcz is considered somewhat cooladamcz is considered somewhat cool

I don't have time to stat crunch this, but I would give high priority to players who routinely lower the efg% of the guys they guard. If guys usually shoot 45%, and a certain defender can keep them under 35%, then that's some great defense. Even greater priority to defenders who can shut down a large variety of players (both guys who are quick for their position and guys who are big for their positoin).

Help defense stats (steals and blocks) should be extra credit, but not the main thing you look at.
adamcz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2007, 12:10 PM   #10
Glove_20
The Expert

Glove_20 is considered somewhat coolGlove_20 is considered somewhat coolGlove_20 is considered somewhat cool

Seems like guards aren't even nomitated these days

Quick Quiz

Only guard to win DPOY in the last 18 years? (There was only 1 out of the last 18 years)

Who was it?
Glove_20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2007, 12:55 PM   #11
statman32
NBA Legend

statman32 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterstatman32 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterstatman32 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterstatman32 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterstatman32 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterstatman32 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterstatman32 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterstatman32 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterstatman32 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterstatman32 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glove_20
Seems like guards aren't even nomitated these days

Quick Quiz

Only guard to win DPOY in the last 18 years? (There was only 1 out of the last 18 years)

Who was it?
Steve Nash...END THREAD
statman32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2007, 01:09 PM   #12
tmacman
Good High School Starter

tmacman is starting to rub some people the wrong way

Quote:

-Tim Duncan
-Ben Wallace

What do you mean by losing team? Teams that are under .500?
Look at your list, JO's on what you call a "losing team"? I guess he doesn't qualify ..
tmacman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2007, 01:09 PM   #13
chains5000
From Out Of Nowhere

chains5000 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablechains5000 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablechains5000 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablechains5000 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablechains5000 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablechains5000 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablechains5000 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablechains5000 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablechains5000 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablechains5000 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablechains5000 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by statman32
Steve Nash...END THREAD
chains5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2007, 01:17 PM   #14
JohnnyBravo5
Local High School Star

JohnnyBravo5 has an OK reputation so far

Quote:

-Tim Duncan
-Ben Wallace

If you want to have a team defensive award thats fine. Because that is what you are proposing. Dallas' defense improved when Avery Johnson installed a better defensive scheme, do you want to nominate Dirk as a DPOY?

Mike Fratello teams are always defensive minded, but I never saw Nique nor Craig Ehlo get any All Defense nods.

The DPOY is an indivdual award for the league's best defender, which means that he'd be the best defender no matter if he was on a winning team or a losing team. Some of the so called best defenders, becomse so because of schemes which allow them to use their talents. Take them out of their element, ala Bruce Bowen in last years international tournament, and they become less effective.
JohnnyBravo5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2007, 01:20 PM   #15
jasonterry
Banned

jasonterry has an OK reputation so far

you are without a doubt, the biggest idiot on this site. stop referring to yourself in the 3rd person. and what makes you think your opinions/criteria are more important than that of others? i really cannot stand you
jasonterry is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: