Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 03-30-2007, 05:32 PM   #16
Younggrease
Banned

Younggrease has an OK reputation so far
Default Re: OT: high school seniors. post your acceptance status.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhsbasketball
Youngreease, aren't you black? If so, that may be the reason. Blacks gets more opportunities to get into universities.

Yeah but thats not really the only reason but it might have helped(her scores werent that bad). She isnt really my sister, she is my cousin we took in after some deaths(her mom and dad etc.) Than after she move with us, she pulled no less than a 3.6 for her last 2 years. Plus her scores werent that bad. Every1 thinks its funny because her school is slightly ranked higher than mine and she isnt nearly as book smart, but she had to overcome a lot more than me. But no one at her school will listen, they will just say she got in because she was black and assume she wasnt worthy of accceptance.
Younggrease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2007, 05:36 PM   #17
mhsbasketball
lol: smh:

mhsbasketball has decent reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Younggrease
Yeah but thats not really the only reason but it might have helped(her scores werent that bad). She isnt really my sister, she is my cousin we took in after some deaths(her mom and dad etc.) Than after she move with us, she pulled no less than a 3.6 for her last 2 years. Plus her scores werent that bad. Every1 thinks its funny because her school is slightly ranked higher than mine and she isnt nearly as book smart, but she had to overcome a lot more than me. But no one at her school will listen, they will just say she got in because she was black and assume she wasnt worthy of accceptance.
I think that asians has it worst, in terms of getting an advatange in applying to schools. First, most asians don't come from poor neighborhoods and second they are a minority.
mhsbasketball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2007, 05:41 PM   #18
Younggrease
Banned

Quote:
I think that asians has it worst, in terms of getting an advatange in applying to schools. First, most asians don't come from poor neighborhoods and second they are a minority.

I agree you guys do have it pretty bad in terms to applying to schools. My roommate was asian freshman year and we used to joke about it everyday. But there are some advantages, at least teachers assume you are smart at first glance. We had 2 of the same classes and used to joke about the responses I would get on my papers and when i spoke in class. Like "this was really unexpected....you are a great writer". Then i would ask why was it unexpected.....nothing but crickets. Id rather not have to constantly prove myself to get the benefit of the doubt when grading. I swear teaching think Im that kid they give lower grades than he deserves to make the grade distribution better. I have had papers upped whole grades because of bs like that.
Old 03-30-2007, 05:51 PM   #19
VCDrivesAPorscheToWork
Very good NBA starter

VCDrivesAPorscheToWork is considered somewhat coolVCDrivesAPorscheToWork is considered somewhat coolVCDrivesAPorscheToWork is considered somewhat cool

about NYU

if you come from out of the city, like Geewiz probably does, he may thorouhgly enjoy it.

but funky, since you live in Jersey and frequenly go to the city (so I think) you may find it less than glamorous.

and quite frankly I stopped complaining about affirmative action once I found the "approximate" breakdown of SAT scores with affirmative action based on a study by Asian Americans:

African Americans - +200 points
Latino Americans- +150 points
Caucasians- no change
Asian Americans - -50 points.

tough break. I don't say anything about it anymore.
VCDrivesAPorscheToWork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2007, 05:54 PM   #20
funkylikemonkey
Football In The Groin

funkylikemonkey has an OK reputation so far

VCDAP, did you participate in the "Find The Illegal Immigrant" game?
funkylikemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2007, 06:01 PM   #21
VCDrivesAPorscheToWork
Very good NBA starter

VCDrivesAPorscheToWork is considered somewhat coolVCDrivesAPorscheToWork is considered somewhat coolVCDrivesAPorscheToWork is considered somewhat cool

no i did not. though that radio station did say illegal immigrant...
VCDrivesAPorscheToWork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2007, 06:04 PM   #22
mhsbasketball
lol: smh:

mhsbasketball has decent reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by VCDrivesAPorscheToWork
about NYU

if you come from out of the city, like Geewiz probably does, he may thorouhgly enjoy it.

but funky, since you live in Jersey and frequenly go to the city (so I think) you may find it less than glamorous.

and quite frankly I stopped complaining about affirmative action once I found the "approximate" breakdown of SAT scores with affirmative action based on a study by Asian Americans:

African Americans - +200 points
Latino Americans- +150 points
Caucasians- no change
Asian Americans - -50 points.

tough break. I don't say anything about it anymore.
damn are you serious, asians got it bad
mhsbasketball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2007, 06:29 PM   #23
thenextgreatbigman
Banned

thenextgreatbigman has an OK reputation so far

i'm going to go through all of this next year. Do you guys have any tips?

Any of you do any extra work after school? all i have right now is basketball but if i have to i might end up playing soccer, volleyball and wrestling next year too. Maybe try and take some extra classes.
thenextgreatbigman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2007, 06:42 PM   #24
Younggrease
Banned

Quote:
damn are you serious, asians got it bad

none of that is official... although if true i would be embarrassed as every1 in my family scores well on the SAT without prep and we are african american. I just figured out about test prep and it made the LSAT so much easier.

Asians seem not to get mad when we get into affirmative action debates in my school at least not to my face. But the white kids get in face, and proclam "the white anglo saxon male is the recieves the most racism in the world". From my experience Asians have handled the affirmative action "snub" well. But they are probably pissed about it on the inside.

Any of you guys have one of those Affirmative Action Bakesales on your campus or high schools...that was a funny day.
Old 03-30-2007, 06:58 PM   #25
ALBballer
Religion? LOL? WTF?

ALBballer has an incredible reputation hereALBballer has an incredible reputation hereALBballer has an incredible reputation hereALBballer has an incredible reputation hereALBballer has an incredible reputation hereALBballer has an incredible reputation hereALBballer has an incredible reputation hereALBballer has an incredible reputation here

Are Muslims considered part of the minority group?
ALBballer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2007, 06:59 PM   #26
ElPigto
*****istrator

ElPigto is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterElPigto is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterElPigto is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterElPigto is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterElPigto is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterElPigto is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterElPigto is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterElPigto is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterElPigto is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenextgreatbigman
i'm going to go through all of this next year. Do you guys have any tips?

Any of you do any extra work after school? all i have right now is basketball but if i have to i might end up playing soccer, volleyball and wrestling next year too. Maybe try and take some extra classes.

It depends what kind of high school you are in and on the grades you have right now.

Personally for me, there was only like 20 students in my school that actually wanted to compete, and I just pretty much made it through high school without ever opening a book to read, unless it was some english class (my English teachers were really tough), anyways, I recommend to just pick up a book after school and start studying a bit. It will definately help when you are in college that you get some experience studying, because if you never done so, it's quite a shock when you come to college.

Anyways, just make sure you get good SAT scores if you are applying to above average universities. And start doing scholarship applications as early as possible because money doesn't just fall out of the sky like some students actually thought it happened.

Good luck.
ElPigto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2007, 07:35 PM   #27
bigboi_baller
NBA rookie of the year

bigboi_baller is popular on this boardbigboi_baller is popular on this boardbigboi_baller is popular on this boardbigboi_baller is popular on this board

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALBballer
Are Muslims considered part of the minority group?
I bet it doesn't go by faith, just ethnicity. I'm pakistani and my HS counselor is telling me to play that to my full advantage.

Just wanted some advice from you seniors on what colleges I could get into, I've got a 4.2 Gpa (3.9 unweighted) and I'm going to a competitive private high school. I'm a little low on extra-curriculars like sports but I did do band for two years, I've played out of school in rec leagues since freshmen year, I've coached 3 different youth basketball teams, and taught at a sunday school for middle schoolers this year. Neither of my parents completed college, I'm 1st generation american and yeah thats all that really matters I guess.

I want to get into med school eventually and all my Sci grades are A's.

I was planning on applying to the following:
Stanford
NYU
USF
John Hopkins
UCLA
UCSB

Which of these universities do you guys think I could get into?
bigboi_baller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2007, 07:38 PM   #28
IlliniFan
Very good NBA starter

IlliniFan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterIlliniFan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterIlliniFan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterIlliniFan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterIlliniFan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterIlliniFan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterIlliniFan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterIlliniFan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterIlliniFan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

George Mason - Accepted
Virginia Tech - Rejected ( really expected to get in, i'm going to try to transfer from Mason)

That's it. School I wanted to go to and backup school. I'm pretty pissed that I didn't get in.
IlliniFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2007, 07:47 PM   #29
AppleNader
Cornell Basketball=#1

AppleNader has a terrific reputationAppleNader has a terrific reputationAppleNader has a terrific reputationAppleNader has a terrific reputationAppleNader has a terrific reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by geeWiz15
VTech: accepted
UNC: rejected
NYU: pending
UVa: rejected

Application Status: Not Offered

Note:
The Committee on Admission has examined your application and has carefully considered your credentials. We are very sorry to inform you that we are unable to offer you admission to the University of Virginia. We want to assure you that committee members take their responsibility seriously and that we try to make decisions with equity and good judgment. We appreciate your interest in U.Va. and wish you success in future endeavors.

ball is in NYU's court now. UVa has lost its geeWiz priveleges. your loss *******s. whatever it takes to make room for one more 4.0 automaton with no capacity for higher thinking.

HS seniors I know you're out there.. all acc/rej decisions should be made by tomorrow. so where ya goin to college??

how the F do you get rejected from UNC
AppleNader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2007, 07:51 PM   #30
ALBballer
Religion? LOL? WTF?

ALBballer has an incredible reputation hereALBballer has an incredible reputation hereALBballer has an incredible reputation hereALBballer has an incredible reputation hereALBballer has an incredible reputation hereALBballer has an incredible reputation hereALBballer has an incredible reputation hereALBballer has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigboi_baller
I bet it doesn't go by faith, just ethnicity. I'm pakistani and my HS counselor is telling me to play that to my full advantage.

Jews are considered a minority, that's why I asked.
ALBballer is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: