Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > College and High School Basketball Forum

College and High School Basketball Forum College basketball message board, high school basketball message board

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 03-27-2007, 01:20 PM   #1
huppcap
Local High School Star
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 1,086
Default Is Oden over-rated?

I have heard about this guy for 3 years now constantly that he was the next coming of Shaq or even better. I have to say I expected more.

Sure he moves pretty good for a big guy and physically is gifted. I know he was injured to begin the season and maybe his wrist is still not 100% but with all the hype I would have expected this guy to average 25 points, 15 rebounds and 5 blocks per game.

Am I missing something here?
huppcap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2007, 01:47 PM   #2
GOBB
Sixers|Eagles|Phillies
 
GOBB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Illadelph live 215
Posts: 51,467
Default Re: Is Oden over-rated?

Quote:
Originally Posted by huppcap
I have heard about this guy for 3 years now constantly that he was the next coming of Shaq or even better. I have to say I expected more.

Sure he moves pretty good for a big guy and physically is gifted. I know he was injured to begin the season and maybe his wrist is still not 100% but with all the hype I would have expected this guy to average 25 points, 15 rebounds and 5 blocks per game.

Am I missing something here?

25, 15 and 5? Thats Kareem, Wilt type numbers man. Oden may be overhyped, he may even be a bit overrated but thats it. Keep it in perspective and place Oden freshman year vs other past Centers in the NBA freshman years. You'll see he stacks up vs them and probably has the 2nd best statistical performance since Shaq.

Big men take time to develop and the media and fans in general have been salivating for the next legit big man for years. So peopels expecations tend to get skewed and become unrealistic. Same thing happened with Bron. You heard how he was so talented, was gonna be the next best thing so people automatically want INSTANT results. So to hear "Give him time", "He still has to develop this area of his game" is something fans dont wanna hear all of a sudden. Why? Because the media, scouts and fans (yes they factor in Odens hype) have said one thing but you're seeing another. Therefore you can either take the hype with a grain of salt or go against the hype and pick apart Odens game for the sake of doing so.

He could be a bust or he could be great. OR he could be good, future all star but just not great but still not a bust. We dont know. So readjust your expectations because the last time someone put up those stats at the Center position was about 30yrs ago.

Watch Oden in the final 4 and if OSU gets past Gtown in the title game. Then watch him definately next season. Thats where you wanna evaluate/judge the guy. This season he missed action, practice because of his hand. Played with 1 hand and had to learn how to shoot with his oppisite hand (score as well). He also could have benefitted more late in the season with more touches.

So Odens a bit overhyped...but thats not to be confused with him not being a great Center in the NBA. People can get that confused. It doesnt help that a kid like Durant puts up a monster season as a freshman...but its 2 different positions in a college game that benefits guards more than big men. And OSU is more guard oriented.
GOBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2007, 01:52 PM   #3
det2orl
Good High School Starter
 
det2orl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 850
Default Re: Is Oden over-rated?

I kind of agree. It is ridiculous that he was on the 1st team AA team missing a third of his teams games and not consistenly even being the best player on his own team. He's a very good player and should be the 1st or 2nd drafted this year but I think as a college player he is a bit overrated.
det2orl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2007, 02:02 PM   #4
IBall280
Decent playground baller
 
IBall280's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: PA
Posts: 378
Default Re: Is Oden over-rated?

he gets in to much foul trouble every single game he plays
IBall280 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2007, 02:07 PM   #5
wang4three
NJ Net Fan For Life.
 
wang4three's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 12,447
Default Re: Is Oden over-rated?

He's only overrated to those who are comparing him to Shaq's, David Robinson's, or Hakeem's NBA careers.

To those who realize he's an 18 year old leading the team in points, rebounds, blocks and to the Final Four, he's everything we'd expect him to be. He's a freshman, can't expect much more than what he's doing now. If you look at the other guys' freshman years he's better than them.
wang4three is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2007, 02:10 PM   #6
IBall280
Decent playground baller
 
IBall280's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: PA
Posts: 378
Default Re: Is Oden over-rated?

Quote:
Originally Posted by wang4three
He's only overrated to those who are comparing him to Shaq's, David Robinson's, or Hakeem's NBA careers.

To those who realize he's an 18 year old leading the team in points, rebounds, blocks and to the Final Four, he's everything we'd expect him to be. He's a freshman, can't expect much more than what he's doing now. If you look at the other guys' freshman years he's better than them.

i think durant personally is better even though durant is overrated also durant and oden both overrated.
IBall280 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2007, 02:21 PM   #7
wang4three
NJ Net Fan For Life.
 
wang4three's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 12,447
Default Re: Is Oden over-rated?

Quote:
Originally Posted by IBall280
i think durant personally is better even though durant is overrated also durant and oden both overrated.

Durant isn't overrated either in my opinion. The guy carried that team because Rick Barnes can't coach big games. Had it not been any other reputable/non-choking coach, they might be in the Final Four right now. It's just unfortunate for the way things turned out for Kevin.

Oden isn't overrated if you take into context of his age + the others who's compared to at their age. To say that he won't get better is egregious (I'm not saying you are, just commenting on others' word). Hakeem Olajuwon didn't start playing ball till he was a teenager and he's the best post player I've ever seen. Oden's been playing all his life so I don't see how he cannot get his post moves down and go to moves by the time he's 21.
wang4three is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2007, 06:22 PM   #8
mas
Serious playground baller
 
mas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 269
Default Re: Is Oden over-rated?

imo, hes not even the best player on his team. i think conley is a overall better player.
mas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2007, 06:37 PM   #9
IBall280
Decent playground baller
 
IBall280's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: PA
Posts: 378
Default Re: Is Oden over-rated?

if he isnt overrated then how come ron lewis and conley jr. basically got them to the final four... and if durant isnt overrated then why do people still talk about how good he is if texas lost early.
IBall280 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2007, 06:41 PM   #10
A-MATT
Banned
 
A-MATT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Houston
Posts: 1,447
Default Re: Is Oden over-rated?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mas
imo, hes not even the best player on his team. i think conley is a overall better player.

What r u on?
A-MATT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2007, 06:57 PM   #11
Q.E.C
нυєy
 
Q.E.C's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Houston,Tx
Posts: 2,523
Default Re: Is Oden over-rated?

nah he's not over-rated, i think he will do good in the NBA if nothing bad happens to him.
Q.E.C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 08:36 AM   #12
IBall280
Decent playground baller
 
IBall280's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: PA
Posts: 378
Default Re: Is Oden over-rated?

yeah but the fact that he is in foul trouble def. is a factor and not too mention ron lewis and conly jr. had to bail him out alot in the tourney ik he is only 18, but he got hyped a little much.
IBall280 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 10:43 AM   #13
huppcap
Local High School Star
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 1,086
Default Re: Is Oden over-rated?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOBB
25, 15 and 5? Thats Kareem, Wilt type numbers man. Oden may be overhyped, he may even be a bit overrated but thats it. Keep it in perspective and place Oden freshman year vs other past Centers in the NBA freshman years. You'll see he stacks up vs them and probably has the 2nd best statistical performance since Shaq.

Big men take time to develop and the media and fans in general have been salivating for the next legit big man for years. So peopels expecations tend to get skewed and become unrealistic. Same thing happened with Bron. You heard how he was so talented, was gonna be the next best thing so people automatically want INSTANT results. So to hear "Give him time", "He still has to develop this area of his game" is something fans dont wanna hear all of a sudden. Why? Because the media, scouts and fans (yes they factor in Odens hype) have said one thing but you're seeing another. Therefore you can either take the hype with a grain of salt or go against the hype and pick apart Odens game for the sake of doing so.

He could be a bust or he could be great. OR he could be good, future all star but just not great but still not a bust. We dont know. So readjust your expectations because the last time someone put up those stats at the Center position was about 30yrs ago.

Watch Oden in the final 4 and if OSU gets past Gtown in the title game. Then watch him definately next season. Thats where you wanna evaluate/judge the guy. This season he missed action, practice because of his hand. Played with 1 hand and had to learn how to shoot with his oppisite hand (score as well). He also could have benefitted more late in the season with more touches.

So Odens a bit overhyped...but thats not to be confused with him not being a great Center in the NBA. People can get that confused. It doesnt help that a kid like Durant puts up a monster season as a freshman...but its 2 different positions in a college game that benefits guards more than big men. And OSU is more guard oriented.

I do agree it takes time for big guys to develop and he could one day be a great center in the NBA however he has not lived up to the hype which is not necessarily his fault but more of the media's and fans.

And as someone else said he missed a portion of the season so perhaps he should not be 1st team All-American.

I actually would like to see him play another year in college and see how dominate he could be playing a second year but that is a low probability.
huppcap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 04:42 PM   #14
003**flash
Can barely lace up my sneakers
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 12
Default Re: Is Oden over-rated?

if oden can master moves like hakeem, well maybe not master but anything like hakeem and is a dominant and powerful like shaq i cant wait to see this guy play, when oden isnt in huge foul trouble i love watching the guy play
003**flash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 04:57 PM   #15
TheGame414
Decent college freshman
 
TheGame414's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Zookville
Posts: 2,785
Default Re: Is Oden over-rated?

I'm not even reading this thread after the first post, because the first post made me want to kill someone. Along with Durant he's the first freshman to be a first-team All-American (and deservingly so) since 1989.

Look at what the other elite centers and did as freshmen.

Shaq: 13.9 ppg, 12.0 rpg, 3.6 bpg, .573 FG%.

Zo: 13.1, 7.0, 5.0, .603.

Duncan: 9.8, 9.6, 3.8, .545.

David Robinson: 7.6, 4.0, 1.3, .623.

Brad Daugherty: 8.2, 5.2, 1.0, .558.

Patrick Ewing: 12.7, 7.5, 3.2, .631.

Akeem: 8.3, 6.2, 2.5, .607.

Ralph Sampson: 14.9, 11.2, 4.6, .547.


Those are the seven centers drafted No. 1 out of college in the last 25 years, as well as Mourning, who was No. 2 behind Shaq in '93 and would've been No. 1 in lots of other years. Four of them are sure-fire Hall of Famers and Top 10 all-time centers, and two others (Mourning and Ewing) have shots at the Hall of Fame as well and are Top 20 all-time centers. All of them averaged 20 and 10. So, it's safe to assume that 7-footers (yes, I know Akeem was only 6'10" or so; bear with me) that are highly accomplished college players that go No. 1 in the draft are going to fare pretty damn well.

Yet as freshmen, those eight averaged 11.1 points, 7.8 points, 2.5 blocks, and .586% from the field.

Greg Oden's freshman numbers: 15.4 points, 9.5 rebounds, 3.3 blocks, .616% FG. In other words, he has far outperformed some of them statistically, and hasn't been truly outperformed by any of them.

Now, statistics don't mean much without context or perspective. Certainly some of those guys' numbers were lower than they would be in later years because of slower play pre-shot clock. Some were on loaded teams that kept their numbers down, but then again, so is Oden. Were he on a team that needed to go to him time and time again, he may not be shooting 62% but I have little doubt that he could average 20+ points, either. Also, I don't think any of those guys started their frosh year with a major injury to their dominant hand that forced them to play primarily with their off-hand, but I know Oden did.

And when people talk about Oden's need to develop offensively- and sure, he does- they seem to forget where those guys were, skillwise, as freshman. Olajuwon certainly hadn't mastered the "Dreamshake" yet. Ewing wasn't the masterful outside shooter he later became. Many ignorant fans think Shaq has been nothing but an oversize brute force throughout his NBA career, but as a college freshman, that really is all he was at that point. He sure as hell hadn't yet developed the footwork, the jumphook, or the short baseline turnaround that became staples of his repetoire.

Teamwise? Ewing was the only one of those eight to lead his team to the Final Four as a freshman; only three of the eight-Ewing, Akeem and Sampson- ever made it to a Final Four throughout their careers.

All of this means the following: Greg Oden is at least on the curve with the greats of the last 25 years, and arguably far ahead of it.

He is not overhyped.

He is not overrated.

If you were expecting more, your expectations were wildly unrealistic and without any sort of historical merit.

Does he have work do to? Upper-body strength to develop, post moves and outside touch to refine? Sure. Big men take longer to develop, physically and fundamentally. Makes sense that it would be harder for them than a guard, considering how remarkable it is that such an enormous human would simply have the coordination of elite basketball centers, much less the athleticism, endurance and talent.

All things considered, it's pretty remarkable how far along Oden actually is.

Last edited by TheGame414 : 03-28-2007 at 05:03 PM.
TheGame414 is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by:
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:43 PM.




NBA Basketball Forum Key Links:
InsideHoops Home
NBA Rumors
Basketball Blog
NBA Daily Recaps
NBA Videos
Fantasy Basketball
NBA Mock Draft
NBA Free Agents
All-Star Weekend
---
High School Basketball
Streetball
---
InsideHoops Twitter
Search Our Site













Powered by vBulletin Version 3.5.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. Terms of Use/Service | Privacy Policy