Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 03-30-2007, 07:07 PM   #1
Soccer10
Banned

Soccer10 has an OK reputation so far
Default Pretty good article on Kobe's road to greatness (long though)

http://dwil.wordpress.com/2007/03/27...fill-his-life/

The writer is clearly biased and is using some weird arguments/assumptions to make Kobe look good but I thought the article was interesting.

People underestimate Kobe's mental toughness and everything he had to go through in the NBA.

Why is it that no one is talking about how Shaq hated Kobe, was jelous of him and was trying to make his life miserable?

Anyway, definitely a decent article..

My favorite part.

Quote:
No matter how many bridges he builds, no matter how much he allows us to know him, no matter if one day he opened his hands to reveal stigmata in his palms, Kobe Bryant will always be a self-centered, mean-spirited, sulking epitome of all that is wrong with professional sports.

All because he dared to vocalize his want for greatness.

Anyway, definitely check it out.

Not sure I agree with the Kobe-Phil part although I think it's clear that Phil wasn't Kobe's biggest fan at start and I can definitely see how other players hated Kobe's work ethic and ambition and that's what makes it a great article.

You also have some great links there and some facts that speak in Kobe's favor.

Of course, you guys will ignore it like you ignore everything that speaks into Kobe's favors like those interviews from Jerry West, Kurt Rambis and Tex Winter but I'd like to hear what open minded people have to say.

I think Kobe's definitely earned everything that he's achieved so far and hopefully he doesn't stop where he is now.

Last edited by Soccer10 : 03-30-2007 at 07:10 PM.
Soccer10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2007, 07:14 PM   #2
Top_Of_Tha_World
High School Varsity 12th Man

Top_Of_Tha_World has an OK reputation so far
Default Re: Pretty good article on Kobe's road to greatness (long though)

Kobe say hi hatas. Even though this article is extremely valid people will still find a reason to hate. Nice find though.

Last edited by Top_Of_Tha_World : 03-30-2007 at 07:18 PM.
Top_Of_Tha_World is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2007, 07:17 PM   #3
Cool
NBA rookie of the year

Cool is considered somewhat coolCool is considered somewhat cool

Are you a laker fan soccer10 and are you a guy formerly named manutd?
Cool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2007, 07:27 PM   #4
gts
Sons of Antartica

gts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

really well written article...I don't know if i agree with everything but the man has certainly done his homw work...there's alot of big time publications that could learn something from this guy...
gts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2007, 07:31 PM   #5
HollaBolla
Banned

HollaBolla has an OK reputation so far

its too early to connect kobe to greatness, I'm still waiting for him to deliver and not choke again.
HollaBolla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2007, 07:37 PM   #6
bokes15
Playoffs!

bokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

You can right a 10 page article about the Kobe hate, but be realistic. Most of it stems from the excessive Jordan comparisons. Has any player ever been compared to him as much and for this long of a period of time?
bokes15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2007, 07:41 PM   #7
BradMiller52
Kings fan

BradMiller52 has an OK reputation so far

Does any of this stuff ever get posted in the Laker forum? There's a forum for this stuff.
BradMiller52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2007, 07:51 PM   #8
Cool
NBA rookie of the year

Quote:
Originally Posted by bokes15
You can right a 10 page article about the Kobe hate, but be realistic. Most of it stems from the excessive Jordan comparisons. Has any player ever been compared to him as much and for this long of a period of time?

No I dont think so, the one thing I want to know is if everybody thinks Jordan is way better than Kobe?? Then why does everybody keep comparing the 2?? Cause when you compare things that usually leads me to the conclusion that the people or peoples comparing them see a similarity or something that both players have, such as skill, athleticism, ball handling, low post play, etc....
Old 03-30-2007, 08:41 PM   #9
wild orchid
Serious playground baller

wild orchid has no real reputation yet.

This article is ridiculous.
wild orchid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2007, 08:56 PM   #10
TheHonestTruth
Banned

TheHonestTruth has no real reputation yet.

Kobe is the most overrated sportsman in the past 40 years.
TheHonestTruth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2007, 09:02 PM   #11
Cool
NBA rookie of the year

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHonestTruth

O yea Kobe sucks, he is the worst :rollingeyes:
Old 03-30-2007, 09:26 PM   #12
theballerFKA Ace
Good High School Starter

theballerFKA Ace has an OK reputation so far

Yet, given a moment of repose, at the same time we abhor Bryant for what we cannot be, how many of us would love to have the courage to want to be “the man?” How many of us would love to be that person who stands at the crossroads of success and failure so often that it becomes a place of comfort?

Kobe Bryant does what we wish we could do - and then tells us that is what he wants from his career.

---------------------------------------------

No matter how many bridges he builds, no matter how much he allows us to know him, no matter if one day he opened his hands to reveal stigmata in his palms, Kobe Bryant will always be a self-centered, mean-spirited, sulking epitome of all that is wrong with professional sports.

All because he dared to vocalize his want for greatness. All because he was too young to know that egotistical grown men with darkness in their souls had a vested interest in never allowing Kobe Bryant to usurp their authority. All because they know the public’s proclivity for wanting to hate superstars is far greater than the public’s want to deify superstars.

With Jordan already on the throne, with Jackson there next to him, and O’Neal smiling with his arms around the two, in the NBA, the trinity is full.

And Kobe Bryant knows there’s no room in the inn.

theballerFKA Ace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2007, 09:29 PM   #13
mesoanarchy
Can barely lace up my sneakers

mesoanarchy has an OK reputation so far

Soccer10-

"The writer is clearly biased and is using some weird arguments/assumptions to make Kobe look good but I thought the article was interesting.

People underestimate Kobe's mental toughness and everything he had to go through in the NBA.

Why is it that no one is talking about how Shaq hated Kobe, was jelous of him and was trying to make his life miserable?"

----------------

I'm sorry to have to say that I don't use anything other than what has been said about Kobe, Phil, and Shaq - "weird 'arguments/assumptions" - hmmm. "Clearly biased?" I went into writing this with a healthy respect for Jackson and Shaq, though I knew there was much more going on behind the scenes than what we've been told by the media.

And the next two sentences of yours perfectly explain what the article is about so I really don't understand why you wrote them as if that isn't what I did?

gts- thank you.

hollabolla- It's sometimes difficult to remember that Kobe is already an 11-year vet!

bokes 15 and cool-Steve Kerr, over at Yahoo! Sports wrote earlier this week: "Kobe is the most complete offensive player ever." If anyone can testify to MJ's greatness, it's Kerr. So for him to lay that accolade at the feet of KB carries with it the weight of the world.

wild orchid- might you expound on why my column is so ridiculous? And please don't any of you think I'm here to argue. I am curious about responses like yours wild orchid. If you can substantiate your claim, then I can learn from you and take this with me for the next piece I write.

Thanks to all of you for having a voice on Kobe Bryant as he is one of the most polarizing figures in sports today - and thanks for using my column piece to air yout thoughts and feelings. I'll check in periodically tonight and tomorrow to see what's been written.... if anyone has a question about my piece, do feel free to ask.

Again, thank you.

peace,
D-Wil
mesoanarchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2007, 09:43 PM   #14
bokes15
Playoffs!

bokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by mesoanarchy
Soccer10-

bokes 15 and cool-Steve Kerr, over at Yahoo! Sports wrote earlier this week: "Kobe is the most complete offensive player ever." If anyone can testify to MJ's greatness, it's Kerr. So for him to lay that accolade at the feet of KB carries with it the weight of the world.

He said the "most complete OFFENSIVE player ever." Stop trying to read something that isn't there. And also, most complete is different than saying best.
bokes15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2007, 09:45 PM   #15
sgvxsc3
I airball my layups

sgvxsc3 has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHonestTruth

well kobe has 81 reasons he is not
sgvxsc3 is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: