Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 04-01-2007, 01:23 AM   #1
reppy
Apparently likes anime

reppy has an incredible reputation herereppy has an incredible reputation herereppy has an incredible reputation herereppy has an incredible reputation herereppy has an incredible reputation herereppy has an incredible reputation herereppy has an incredible reputation herereppy has an incredible reputation here
Default Is this serious? (God/evolution/etc polls)

Godís Numbers
The latest NEWSWEEK poll shows that 91 percent of American adults surveyed believe in Godóand nearly half reject the theory of evolution. Also, Americans on John Edwards and the Senate's goal for troop withdrawal

March 30, 2007 - A belief in God and an identification with an organized religion are widespread throughout the country, according to the latest NEWSWEEK poll. Nine in 10 (91 percent) of American adults say they believe in God and almost as many (87 percent) say they identify with a specific religion. Christians far outnumber members of any other faith in the country, with 82 percent of the pollís respondents identifying themselves as such. Another 5 percent say they follow a non-Christian faith, such as Judaism or Islam. Nearly half (48 percent) of the public rejects the scientific theory of evolution; one-third (34 percent) of college graduates say they accept the Biblical account of creation as fact. Seventy-three percent of Evangelical Protestants say they believe that God created humans in their present form within the last 10,000 years; 39 percent of non-Evangelical Protestants and 41 percent of Catholics agree with that view.

Although one in ten (10 percent) of Americans identify themselves as having "no religion," only six percent said they donít believe in a God at all. Just 3 percent of the public self-identifies as atheist, suggesting that the term may carry some stigma. Still, the poll suggests that the publicís tolerance of this small minority has increased in recent years. Nearly half (47 percent) of the respondents felt the country is more accepting of atheists today that it used to be and slightly more (49 percent) reported personally knowing an atheist. Those numbers are higher among respondents under 30 years old, 62 percent of whom report knowing an atheist (compared to just 43 percent of those 50 and older). Sixty-one percent of the under-30 cohort view society as more accepting of atheists (compared to 40 percent of the Americans 50 and older).

Still, it is unlikely that a political candidate would serve him or herself well by declaring their atheism. Six in ten (62 percent) registered voters say they would not vote for a candidate who is an atheist. Majorities of each major party ó 78 percent of Repulicans and 60 percent of Democrats ó rule out such an option. Just under half (45 percent) of registered independents would not vote for an atheist. Still more than a third (36 percent) of Americans think the influence of organized religion on American politics has increased in recent years. But the public is still split over whether religion has too much (32 percent) or too little (31 percent) influence on American politics. Democrats tend to fall in the "too much" camp (42 percent of them, as opposed to 29 percent who see too little influence) as Republicans take the opposite view (42 percent too little; 14 percent too much). In the poll, 68 percent of respondents said they believed someone could be moral and an atheist, compared to 26 percent who said it was not possible.[/quote]

I'm sorry but this is absolutely frightening, folks. Remember: each one of those people can vote.
reppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2007, 01:28 AM   #2
thekavorka
Good High School Starter

thekavorka has an OK reputation so far
Default Re: Is this serious? (God/evolution/etc polls)

Those numbers don't surprise me since it said that 82% of the respondents identified themselves as Christian.
thekavorka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2007, 01:41 AM   #3
ElPigto
*****istrator

ElPigto is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterElPigto is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterElPigto is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterElPigto is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterElPigto is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterElPigto is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterElPigto is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterElPigto is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterElPigto is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Must of been a really small sample or a concentrated area where there are mostly religious residents.
ElPigto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2007, 04:07 AM   #4
Randy
NBA sixth man of the year

Randy is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRandy is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRandy is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRandy is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRandy is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRandy is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRandy is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRandy is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRandy is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

This is absolutely frightening, I think these numbers seem a little exaggerated but nonethelees is scary. That many people reject evolution? That's pathetic and extremely sad. For being based on nothing but ridiculous fairy tales, religion has way too much power and influence in this country. Seperation of church and state is a joke.

The term Atheist absolutely carries a negartive stigma with it, which is unfortunate because fundamentalists are the ones we need to be afraid of. Noah's Ark? 6 days of creation? Adam and Eve? Please. Some people actually accept this crap as fact because some book thats been translated, added to, and reduced in content thousands of times over thousands of years says so. Religion is evil.

Last edited by Randy : 04-01-2007 at 04:24 AM.
Randy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2007, 05:10 AM   #5
sydneyking
Banned

sydneyking has not been impressing people

Yet these retards believe in:

- Eternity
- Noah's Ark
- Adam & Eve + the holy cycle of incest
- Spirits who watch over your every move

... and much much more
sydneyking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2007, 05:41 AM   #6
BradMiller52
Kings fan

BradMiller52 has an OK reputation so far

I believe in god but that IS frightening.
BradMiller52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2007, 05:59 AM   #7
reppy
Apparently likes anime

reppy has an incredible reputation herereppy has an incredible reputation herereppy has an incredible reputation herereppy has an incredible reputation herereppy has an incredible reputation herereppy has an incredible reputation herereppy has an incredible reputation herereppy has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradMiller52
I believe in god but that IS frightening.

Exactly. I'm not religious, but I like to entertain the notion that there's a God out there somewhere in the big ol' cosmos.. But that's me. That's my personal belief. I believe in what I can see, and the rest I kind of look at like, "well, I can't PROVE IT, so I'll just do my best and hope there's a God."
reppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2007, 10:58 AM   #8
VCDrivesAPorscheToWork
Very good NBA starter

VCDrivesAPorscheToWork is considered somewhat coolVCDrivesAPorscheToWork is considered somewhat coolVCDrivesAPorscheToWork is considered somewhat cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by reppy
I'm sorry but this is absolutely frightening, folks. Remember: each one of those people can vote.

why is it frightening? because what the most of this country actually wanted George W Bush in office?

is it frightening because when one exercises his /her freedom to choose whom to vote for, that it may possibly go against your personal views?

don't forget, not all religious people vote Republican. that is a silly assumption to make.

and also don't forget, this country was founded on the principles of Christianity.

though what is disturbing to me is how people reject evolution. Granted the specifics of evolution from abiotic materials is rather dubious at best, but absence of proof is not proof of absence...
VCDrivesAPorscheToWork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2007, 11:00 AM   #9
Heilige
An Icon Forever

Heilige has an incredible reputation hereHeilige has an incredible reputation hereHeilige has an incredible reputation hereHeilige has an incredible reputation hereHeilige has an incredible reputation hereHeilige has an incredible reputation hereHeilige has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by VCDrivesAPorscheToWork
why is it frightening? because what the most of this country actually wanted George W Bush in office?

is it frightening because when one exercises his /her freedom to choose whom to vote for, that it may possibly go against your personal views?

don't forget, not all religious people vote Republican. that is a silly assumption to make.

and also don't forget, this country was founded on the principles of Christianity.

though what is disturbing to me is how people reject evolution. Granted the specifics of evolution from abiotic materials is rather dubious at best, but absence of proof is not proof of absence...

Heilige is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2007, 11:01 AM   #10
j Fresh
Local High School Star

j Fresh has an OK reputation so far

VCDrivesAPorscheToWork,

You should run for office.

I don't understand a word you say but it seems like you don't bull****, which is what 75% of politics do?
j Fresh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2007, 11:02 AM   #11
VCDrivesAPorscheToWork
Very good NBA starter

VCDrivesAPorscheToWork is considered somewhat coolVCDrivesAPorscheToWork is considered somewhat coolVCDrivesAPorscheToWork is considered somewhat cool

im not advocating pro Right here, I just want a little fairness, parity and civility on both sides

(though on this message board where a lot of people are left wing, it seems I am pro Right)
VCDrivesAPorscheToWork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2007, 11:05 AM   #12
j Fresh
Local High School Star

see what I mean? I didn't understand a word you said, but I don't think you are bullsh*ting here..

VCDrivesA.. for PRESIDENT!
Old 04-01-2007, 11:16 AM   #13
The_Masterplan
Banned

The_Masterplan has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by VCDrivesAPorscheToWork

The country was founded on freedom of religion. People came to America for two things: freedom of religion and gold.

And J fresh you must be a very young person if you cant understand what VC is saying.
The_Masterplan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2007, 11:20 AM   #14
j Fresh
Local High School Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Masterplan
And J fresh you must be a very young person if you cant understand what VC is saying.

I do understand what he says, but not when he starts talking about politics. I'm not into that stuff, it's boring.
Old 04-01-2007, 11:28 AM   #15
The_Masterplan
Banned

The_Masterplan has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by j Fresh
I do understand what he says, but not when he starts talking about politics. I'm not into that stuff, it's boring.

You should. It really isnt boring. Maybe when you get older.
The_Masterplan is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: