Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 04-01-2007, 01:10 PM   #16
Timmeh
Yes, I am a dick.

Timmeh has a near all-star reputation hereTimmeh has a near all-star reputation hereTimmeh has a near all-star reputation hereTimmeh has a near all-star reputation hereTimmeh has a near all-star reputation hereTimmeh has a near all-star reputation here
Default Re: Is this serious? (God/evolution/etc polls)

The poll was probably taken in a concentrated area of religious people. The college graduates were probably taken from private, Christian-founded universities.

It's a two-way street though. People who don't believe whatever think Christians are morons for believing what they believe, but on the other hand, Christians don't understand how people CAN'T believe what they believe.

No religion-bashing needed here, people are stuck on their own opinions, so there's no need to try to change people's minds.
Timmeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2007, 01:11 PM   #17
VCDrivesAPorscheToWork
Very good NBA starter

VCDrivesAPorscheToWork is considered somewhat coolVCDrivesAPorscheToWork is considered somewhat coolVCDrivesAPorscheToWork is considered somewhat cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmeh
The poll was probably taken in a concentrated area of religious people. The college graduates were probably taken from private, Christian-founded universities.

It's a two-way street though. People who don't believe whatever think Christians are morons for believing what they believe, but on the other hand, Christians don't understand how people CAN'T believe what they believe.

No religion-bashing needed here, people are stuck on their own opinions, so there's no need to try to change people's minds.

Amen to that.

*oops

Politically correct version:

I wholeheatedly agree.
VCDrivesAPorscheToWork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2007, 01:48 PM   #18
Randy
NBA sixth man of the year

Randy is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRandy is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRandy is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRandy is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRandy is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRandy is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRandy is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRandy is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRandy is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by VCDrivesAPorscheToWork
why is it frightening? ...

is it frightening because when one exercises his /her freedom to choose whom to vote for, that it may possibly go against your personal views?...

don't forget, not all religious people vote Republican. that is a silly assumption to make..

This is frightening because the church directly tells their congregations how and who to vote for. The church has an agenda with their own morals and desires, which is fine, but when preachers are telling their followers how to vote it is crossing the line. Using God or Jesus' name to sway a religious person to vote one way or the other can be very, very powerful. People lose their identity and ability to think freely, and instead will vote as God and Jesus (supposedly), and the church want them to.

Whether they are pushing Democrat or Republican is nominal, but by telling church-goers how to vote, they are explicity rejecting the concept of Seperation of Church and State. Religion has way too much controlling power in our country, all the way from citizens, up the ladder to local governments, to our national government (see: Blue Laws).

Thats how I feel at least, although I'm sure I did a piss-poor job justifying my viewpoints.
Randy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2007, 01:57 PM   #19
Cavs Fan
Kids at the park dunk on me

Cavs Fan has no real reputation yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by reppy
I'm sorry but this is absolutely frightening, folks. Remember: each one of those people can vote.

You must be terrified of educated African Americans. They are willing to hold their heads high and stick true to their beliefs in the midst of doubting Academia. They then take their degrees with religious beliefs intact and head out into the world. Their influence must have you shaking in your boots.

http://www.spirituality.ucla.edu/news/2005-10-06.html

African Americans registered as the highest scorers on seven of the 12 overall measures of spirituality and religiousness studied--Religious Commitment, Compassionate Self-Concept, Spiritual Quest, Equanimity, Religious Engagement, Ethic of Caring, and Religious/Social Conservatism-- compared to Whites, Latinos, Asian Americans, American Indians, and Native Hawaiians/Pacific Islanders. Whites had the lowest scores on five of the 12 scales: Ethic of Caring, Ecumenical Worldview, Charitable Involvement, Spiritual Quest, and Compassionate Self-Concept.

Latinos were the least likely overall to demonstrate high levels of Religious Engagement and, along with Asian Americans, Religious/Social Conservatism. Asian Americans were the highest scorers on Religious Skepticism and the lowest on Spirituality, Equanimity, and Religous Commitment. Native Hawaiians/Pacific Islanders were the highest scorers on Charitable Involvement, Spirituality, Ecumenical Worldview, and Religious Struggle.

Of the 112,232 students surveyed, 76% are White, 8% African American, 7% Asian American, 5% Latino, 2% American Indian/Alaska Native, and 1% Native Hawaiian/Pacific Islander.

Additional findings include:

95% of African Americans believe in God, compared to 84% of Latinos, 78% of Whites, and 65% of Asian Americans

91% of African Americans pray, compared to 75% of Latinos and 67% of Whites

53% of African Americans attend religious services frequently, compared to 42% of Whites, 39% of Latinos, and 35% of Asian Americans

47% of African Americans have a high level of Religious Commitment, compared to 25% of Whites and 22% of Asian Americans.

32% of African Americans have high levels of Religious Engagement, compared to 16% of Latinos and 19% of Whites

About one-third of African Americans consider it essential to seek opportunities to grow spiritually and say that it is essential for them to follow religious teachings in their everyday life, while less than one-fifth of Whites and Asian Americans say the same.

According to HERI researchers, some of these racial/ethnic differences can be explained, in part, by the students' religious preferences since students of different religions differ notably on the various measures of spirituality and religiousness. For example, nearly half of the African American (47%) respondents are Baptist, compared to only11% of Whites and 5% of Latinos. Nearly a third of Whites (30%) and more than half (53%) of Latinos are Roman Catholic, compared to about one-tenth of African Americans (11%). Asian Americans are the most likely to say that they have no religious preference (28%). By comparison, only 8% of African Americans and 17% of Whites indicate no religious preference.

Last edited by Cavs Fan : 04-01-2007 at 02:00 PM.
Cavs Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2007, 02:47 PM   #20
Randy

Randy is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRandy is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRandy is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRandy is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRandy is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRandy is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRandy is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRandy is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRandy is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavs Fan
Of the 112,232 students surveyed, 76% are White, 8% African American, 7% Asian American, 5% Latino, 2% American Indian/Alaska Native, and 1% Native Hawaiian/Pacific Islander.

Can someone please explain to me what a "white" person is? I see African-American, Asian-American, etc. on that list, and thus I know what their ancestory is. So how does a color make that list? If someone can be labeled "white", despite the obvious cultural and racial differences between people from different European nations, why aren't these other races called black, brown, light brown, yellow, or red? What hypocrisy. This country has become so PC it's insulting.
Old 04-01-2007, 04:11 PM   #21
Timmeh
Yes, I am a dick.

Timmeh has a near all-star reputation hereTimmeh has a near all-star reputation hereTimmeh has a near all-star reputation hereTimmeh has a near all-star reputation hereTimmeh has a near all-star reputation hereTimmeh has a near all-star reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy
Can someone please explain to me what a "white" person is? I see African-American, Asian-American, etc. on that list, and thus I know what their ancestory is. So how does a color make that list? If someone can be labeled "white", despite the obvious cultural and racial differences between people from different European nations, why aren't these other races called black, brown, light brown, yellow, or red? What hypocrisy. This country has become so PC it's insulting.
I think the bigger issue, and this may be a regional thing, is that on your driver's license you are listed as either Latino (L) or non-Latino (NL)
Old 04-01-2007, 04:25 PM   #22
Randy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmeh
I think the bigger issue, and this may be a regional thing, is that on your driver's license you are listed as either Latino (L) or non-Latino (NL)

Where do you live? My license doesn't have that but that is absurd. I can't stand being referred to as "white" or "Caucasian", it's insulting and lumps everyone of European descent into one group. Scotland and England share an island, but are completely different in culture, language, society, etc. so how are the Irish and Greek, two nations seperated by thousnads of miles, both considered "white"?

Same can be applied to the pointless titles of Asian or African-American. Am I to believe that a person from India wants to be lumped in with someone from Japan? Both are in Asia, right?
Old 04-01-2007, 04:49 PM   #23
Timmeh
Yes, I am a dick.

Quote:
Where do you live?
North Carolina

Quote:
I can't stand being referred to as "white" or "Caucasian", it's insulting and lumps everyone of European descent into one group. Scotland and England share an island, but are completely different in culture, language, society, etc. so how are the Irish and Greek, two nations seperated by thousnads of miles, both considered "white"?
You have a fairly good point, but it just never really bothered me. I'm Scotch-Irish, and it really doesn't bother me being lumped into people of French, Austrian, or whatever decent. I think if you lived in Europe, which you may, then it might bother you, but living in America with such diversity, you can't really be filling out a paper and trying to choose which ethnicity you fall under out a list of about 100. So many people in America are full of different types of races, so that's probably why every white-skinned Euro-ethnicity get lumped into one category.
Old 04-01-2007, 05:05 PM   #24
Jabes
Banned

Jabes has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy
I can't stand being referred to as "white" or "Caucasian", it's insulting and lumps everyone of European descent into one group. Scotland and England share an island, but are completely different in culture, language, society, etc. so how are the Irish and Greek, two nations seperated by thousnads of miles, both considered "white"?

Same can be applied to the pointless titles of Asian or African-American. Am I to believe that a person from India wants to be lumped in with someone from Japan? Both are in Asia, right?
True, but those kinds of distinctions do have their purposes.

For example when filling out a police report its better to say "the man who stole my car was African American," or "some Latinos took my bike and beat me up," or "these asians were street racing and hit my car," or "I think those two white guys are involved in some insider trading scheme."

*runs and hides*

Last edited by Jabes : 04-01-2007 at 05:09 PM.
Jabes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2007, 05:20 PM   #25
Dizzle-2k7
Go Spurs Go

Dizzle-2k7 is considered somewhat coolDizzle-2k7 is considered somewhat cool

how is this frightening? you people are suckaz.

go to iraq or africa ... now thats some frightening stuff.

ill leave u with a quote that the great einstein said ... "science without religion is lame.. religion without science is blind"
Dizzle-2k7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2007, 05:27 PM   #26
reppy
Apparently likes anime

reppy has an incredible reputation herereppy has an incredible reputation herereppy has an incredible reputation herereppy has an incredible reputation herereppy has an incredible reputation herereppy has an incredible reputation herereppy has an incredible reputation herereppy has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
why is it frightening? because what the most of this country actually wanted George W Bush in office?

is it frightening because when one exercises his /her freedom to choose whom to vote for, that it may possibly go against your personal views?

It's frightening because people that deny evolution are also likely to deny things like global warming. They're more likely to support a Christian theocracy in America. They're more likely to think Iraq ever had WMD. :)

Would you be frightened if there was a large group of millions of people that thought all men should be forced to marry other men? I would. You attempt to obfuscate every issue by acting like everyone is entitled to their opinion, no matter how moronic. And that might be true. But an educated electorate is vital to democracy. If we have a bunch of muffin heads that refuse to acknowledge science, we have a problem.

Quote:
don't forget, not all religious people vote Republican. that is a silly assumption to make.

Hey dingleberry, when did I ever say that any of them were Republicans? I just said it was scary that they could vote.

Quote:
and also don't forget, this country was founded on the principles of Christianity.

That's bull**** and you know it. Why isn't the word "God" mentioned in the Constitution once?

[VC]Why do you always have to follow me around and disagree with everything I say? I thought you libertarians were supposed to be all about free speech! FASCIST![/VC]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heilige

I'm not surprised applaud something that doesn't discuss the actual merits of the article and instead resorts to partisan hackery.

Quote:
You must be terrified of educated African Americans. They are willing to hold their heads high and stick true to their beliefs in the midst of doubting Academia. They then take their degrees with religious beliefs intact and head out into the world. Their influence must have you shaking in your boots.

I'm frightened of people that believe the world is only 10,000 year olds. I'm afraid of people that think Jesus won't return until Israel is completely restored and are willing to do ANYTHING to make sure it happens. If you're not afraid of people like that, you're a moron.

It has nothing to do with race or religious belief. Just hey, keep your religion in perspective, eh?

Last edited by reppy : 04-01-2007 at 05:38 PM.
reppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2007, 05:41 PM   #27
VCDrivesAPorscheToWork
Very good NBA starter

VCDrivesAPorscheToWork is considered somewhat coolVCDrivesAPorscheToWork is considered somewhat coolVCDrivesAPorscheToWork is considered somewhat cool

I am for free speech. Just voicing a few things on my mind. No need to take them with hostile intent.

And frightening because church goers can vote... is a direct implication that you think they will vote Republican. but if you simply meant seeing the masses of people lining up to vote is physically scary to you, then by all means I apologize. I had no idea people were scared of a democratic process.
VCDrivesAPorscheToWork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2007, 05:50 PM   #28
Randy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizzle-2k7
how is this frightening? you people are suckaz.

go to iraq or africa ... now thats some frightening stuff.

ill leave u with a quote that the great einstein said ... "science without religion is lame.. religion without science is blind"

Suckaz? What is that? Is it similar to "suckers"?

What does Iraq have to do with what we're discussing? Yes it's dangerous over there, but it is totally irrelevant to the subject at hand.

And to add to Christianity's role in America, the word "God" was not added to the Pledge of Allegiance until 1954, thanks to constant petitioning by the Knights of Columbus.

I'll leave you with a quote from George H. W. Bush: "I don't know that atheists should be considered as citizens, nor should they be considered patriots. This is one nation under God." (Aug. 27 1987)
Old 04-01-2007, 05:52 PM   #29
reppy
Apparently likes anime

reppy has an incredible reputation herereppy has an incredible reputation herereppy has an incredible reputation herereppy has an incredible reputation herereppy has an incredible reputation herereppy has an incredible reputation herereppy has an incredible reputation herereppy has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
I am for free speech. Just voicing a few things on my mind. No need to take them with hostile intent.

And frightening because church goers can vote... is a direct implication that you think they will vote Republican. but if you simply meant seeing the masses of people lining up to vote is physically scary to you, then by all means I apologize. I had no idea people were scared of a democratic process.

Again, nothing wrong with church goers. It's frightening that people who DO NOT BELIEVE IN EVOLUTION and BELIEVE THE WORLD IS ONLY 10,000 YEARS OLD can VOTE. They can AFFECT elections. That is SCARY.

And I never said they should not be allowed to vote, just that it's scary.

"And frightening because church goers can vote... is a direct implication that you think they will vote Republican."

That was your implication, not mine. You yourself said not all church goers are Republicans yet you continue to think anything to do with ridiculing religious orthodoxy has anything to do with the right wing.

Or maybe it does. After all, you seem to think so.
reppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2007, 05:56 PM   #30
Randy

Quote:

Is this directed towards me? In my post I said whether the church is pushing Republican or Democrat bias does not matter, it's the fact that they are telling these people HOW to vote that is a problem. It's just coincidence that more often than not is Recpublican, if it was for the Green Party or any other it would still be a problem.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: