Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 04-01-2007, 07:18 PM   #31
Jabes
Banned

Default Re: Is this serious? (God/evolution/etc polls)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizzle-2k7
how is this frightening? you people are suckaz.

go to iraq or africa ... now thats some frightening stuff.
As someone already mentioned, this has nothing to do with the topic of this thread

Quote:
ill leave u with a quote that the great einstein said ... "science without religion is lame.. religion without science is blind"
I'm not sure what point you are trying to make with this quote, in fact I'm not even sure you know what point you are trying to make.

This quote alone is rather opaque, it is better viewed within the full text of Einstein's original article in which it appears.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Einstein
Now, even though the realms of religion and science in themselves are clearly marked off from each other, nevertheless there exist between the two strong reciprocal relationships and dependencies. Though religion may be that which determines the goal, it has, nevertheless, learned from science, in the broadest sense, what means will contribute to the attainment of the goals it has set up. But science can only be created by those who are thoroughly imbued with the aspiration toward truth and understanding. This source of feeling, however, springs from the sphere of religion. To this there also belongs the faith in the possibility that the regulations valid for the world of existence are rational, that is, comprehensible to reason. I cannot conceive of a genuine scientist without that profound faith. The situation may be expressed by an image: science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind.
http://www.sacred-texts.com/aor/einstein/einsci.htm
Jabes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2007, 08:32 PM   #32
nashforprez
Local High School Star

a few things i would like to randomly say:

global warming is not caused by humans
i have been to many churches across the country and not 1 has spoken about politics.
i would be frightened if liberals were to take over the country
this country could be much worse than it is presently
dirk nowitski will win the mvp
nashforprez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2007, 09:08 PM   #33
Cavs Fan
Kids at the park dunk on me

Quote:
Originally Posted by reppy
Again, nothing wrong with church goers. It's frightening that people who DO NOT BELIEVE IN EVOLUTION and BELIEVE THE WORLD IS ONLY 10,000 YEARS OLD can VOTE. They can AFFECT elections. That is SCARY.

It's even more frightening that a man who believes he was abducted by aliens has the credibility to organize a million man march in Washington DC.

If you are easily frightened, you will go quickly insane if you stress out over things that do not make sense in the world and you feel an overwhelming need to see wholesale change in all of them.

Last edited by Cavs Fan : 04-01-2007 at 09:12 PM.
Cavs Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2007, 09:16 PM   #34
Randy
NBA sixth man of the year

Quote:
Originally Posted by nashforprez
a few things i would like to randomly say:

global warming is not caused by humans
i have been to many churches across the country and not 1 has spoken about politics.
i would be frightened if liberals were to take over the country
this country could be much worse than it is presently
dirk nowitski will win the mvp

I would also like to say a few things:

Humans are not the sole cause of global warming. 90% responsible? You bet.

I have been to a mass where upcoming ballots were discussed, I know at least three rational people who were disgusted by this and wrote a letter to the Archdiocese who of course did not feel the need to respond. One family never went back to said church. This happened in Colorado, I can only imagine how often this occurs in the Bible Belt where the majority are brainwashed by religion and take the Bible literally.

People who make moronic bold statements (see: forprez, nash) without backing them up should not be permitted to participate in intelligent discussions.

Dirk Nowitzki likes his fans to be good spellers.
Randy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2007, 09:31 PM   #35
nashforprez
Local High School Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy
I would also like to say a few things:

Humans are not the sole cause of global warming. 90% responsible? You bet.

I have been to a mass where upcoming ballots were discussed, I know at least three rational people who were disgusted by this and wrote a letter to the Archdiocese who of course did not feel the need to respond. One family never went back to said church. This happened in Colorado, I can only imagine how often this occurs in the Bible Belt where the majority are brainwashed by religion and take the Bible literally.

People who make moronic bold statements (see: forprez, nash) without backing them up should not be permitted to participate in intelligent discussions.

Dirk Nowitzki likes his fans to be good spellers.

according to bbc, one of the most liberal networks on television, global warming is not caused by humans.

i bet i does happen.

this country could have bombs going off in the streets

i am not an irk fan. i dont have a z on my keyboard and didnt feel like copying and pasting
Old 04-01-2007, 09:45 PM   #36
Randy

Quote:
according to bbc, one of the most liberal networks on television, global warming is not caused by humans.

i bet i does happen.

this country could have bombs going off in the streets

i am not an irk fan. i dont have a z on my keyboard and didnt feel like copying and pasting

Where is the logic behind this? That's an absurd statement.
Old 04-02-2007, 12:20 AM   #37
nashforprez
Local High School Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy
Where is the logic behind this? That's an absurd statement.

the logic behind it is that in some places in the middle east such as israel, iraq, etc. bombs go off in the streets. if it could happen there it sure as hell could happen here
Old 04-02-2007, 12:32 AM   #38
The_Masterplan
Banned

Quote:
the logic behind it is that in some places in the middle east such as israel, iraq, etc. bombs go off in the streets. if it could happen there it sure as hell could happen here

not really. We dont have religious symbols in the USA.
The_Masterplan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 01:05 AM   #39
Randy

Quote:

Ok...and what does this have to do with liberals running our country as you stated earlier? If you're suggesting that a Democratic President and House = bombs detonating in our streets then I weep for our future. Zeus help us.
Old 04-02-2007, 01:42 AM   #40
Jabes
Banned

Quote:
Just out of curiosity, what happened to the 'z' on your keyboard and how do you sign in on ISH?
Jabes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 03:14 AM   #41
artificial
:-P

Weird. Looking at those numbers, most people are christian/catholic. Thing is, I'm pretty sure the Vatican accepted the evolution theory a couple of years back -with it's respective clauses of faith, but accepted it-

48% don't believe in evolution theory? I wish it was a joke.
artificial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 12:27 PM   #42
RainierBeachPoet
NEVER forget da SONICS

Default random thoughts

Quote:
Originally Posted by artificial
Weird. Looking at those numbers, most people are christian/catholic. Thing is, I'm pretty sure the Vatican accepted the evolution theory a couple of years back -with it's respective clauses of faith, but accepted it-

48% don't believe in evolution theory? I wish it was a joke.

yes!

and it amazes me that 41% of catholics answered as they did in the original post. 59% can actually accept the basic tenets of faith and that evolution is viable!

it is noteworthy that 73% of evangelicals believe that God created humans in their present form within the last 10,000 years

it shows what i argued in the "do you believe in God" thread a while back--- it is all about biblical interpretation. for those without a systematic framwork-tradition and accountability to others, just about anything can be taught from what ever interpretation (generally a form a literalism)

please do not lump mainline christianity and catholicism together with evangelical interpretations as though christianity is monolithic

in terms of these interpretations and how they relate to politics, i thought evangelicals learned lessons from pat robertsons 1988 presidential run and how poilitics will just use the church if there are not strong boundaries... i guess not
RainierBeachPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: