Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > New York Knicks Forum

New York Knicks Forum New York Knicks forum - NY Knicks message board

Old 04-02-2007, 06:11 PM   #1
Don Che
I hit open 5-footers

Don Che has an OK reputation so far
Default What are the priorities for the Knicks Team as overall Improvement?

OK. we are not makin the playoffs and thats ok with me.
We had 23 wins last year and 3 or our best players were injured.
We lost games we should win. And win games we should of lost.

A good basketball team do these 4 things overall.

1)Defense
2)No turnovers
3)Free throws
4)Rebounding

The knicks struggle with 3 out of 4 of these things.(Rebounding)
We can't go into training camp and solve ALL of these problems it takes time.
We have 3 things to go...
Which 2 things should we do over the summer? That is actually realistic.

Either changing the line up, or trading (REALISTICALY) can do this.

Just remember that we must improve on the other things and STILL be good at the things we are now. Like rebounding and dominating the paint.

Give your rotation if you want just curious what other guys think.
Don Che is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 06:19 PM   #2
Amigo
Knicks Fan 4 Life

Amigo has an OK reputation so far
Default Re: What are the priorities for the Knicks Team as overall Improvement?

Get rid of the scrubs and develop the young guys with potential.
Amigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 07:19 PM   #3
Don Che
I hit open 5-footers

Don Che has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amigo
Get rid of the scrubs and develop the young guys with potential.

Who? Who should go who should stay?

What should we do with the vets?

Unfortunately its easier said then done.
Don Che is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 07:23 PM   #4
knicks15
Local High School Star

knicks15 has decent reputation

they should try to thin out their roster (easier said than done), instead of having all these guys who play similar positions, trade some of them for a better player. if it was possible to make a trade like crawford, frye, nate or some others for someone like rashard or kirilenko it would be nice, but probably not a reality. of course they would have to get better defensively, which was isaiahs idea when he brought in a defensive-minded jeffries, so i cant knock that move. i think he could bounce back and play well next year. if mardy collins develops he would help this also as hes good defensively and seems pretty smart just very limited offensively. we also need eddy curry to continue to progress, especially on the defensive end.
knicks15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 07:26 PM   #5
brooklynchild155
High School Varsity 6th Man

brooklynchild155 has an OK reputation so far

me personally i dont think any team in the eastern conference is that much better then ny except the heat and maybe the pistons. i think they have the personel to become a real good team. i think all they need to do is get rid of a few guys like frye, james and nate even though i think nate is a real talented player. i feel they need to play mardy collins way more. any knick fan who watched these season would say the problem with them is to much turnovers, need to play better d and just be a smarter team on the court. well mardy collins is a smart ball player who can play excellent d and and takes care of the ball. mardy collins play winning basketball he doesnt shoot himself in the foot like his other teammates. and in the offseason and draft just bring in smart ball players. this team has the talent to do some things.
brooklynchild155 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 08:23 PM   #6
bigdaddybluesman
Local High School Star

bigdaddybluesman has an OK reputation so far

Yup.

More D, less turnovers.

More D, less turnovers.

More D, less turnovers.

I know I sound like a beer commercial.
bigdaddybluesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 08:59 AM   #7
TheOakman
I hit open layups

TheOakman has an OK reputation so far

I think the team needs more defense, less turnovers, more talent and smarter players. I will hold off my critiques for an end of the season thread, but I will disagree with one thing. The Knicks are nowhere near being able to compete in this conference.

I mentioned in another post, that I felt that teams like the Raptors and Magic have brighter futures than us, and those are just 2 teams in our division. Heck even the Sixers are playing more inspired ball than us (but we do have more talent than them). The point is that not only do we need to improve, but we have to start improving at a faster rate than the teams around us.
TheOakman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 09:47 AM   #8
Blue&Orange
NBA lottery pick

Blue&Orange is popular on this boardBlue&Orange is popular on this boardBlue&Orange is popular on this boardBlue&Orange is popular on this board

Quote:
Originally Posted by knicks15
if it was possible to make a trade like crawford, frye, nate or some others for someone like rashard or kirilenko it would be nice, but probably not a reality.
I think the way Kirilenko is playing and the type of contract he has makes him a no option, and how much more would Lewis give us compare with a healthy Q.Richardson? Enough to give away Frye Crawford and Nate? I don't think so...
The Knicks need to start defending with brains, cause the effort is there, and then of course FT. Less turnovers will come with players used to play more with each other.
Blue&Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 01:55 PM   #9
knicks15
Local High School Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue&Orange
I think the way Kirilenko is playing and the type of contract he has makes him a no option, and how much more would Lewis give us compare with a healthy Q.Richardson? Enough to give away Frye Crawford and Nate? I don't think so...
The Knicks need to start defending with brains, cause the effort is there, and then of course FT. Less turnovers will come with players used to play more with each other.

even if kirilenko doesnt do much offensively (cuz the jazz dont run plays for him right now) hes a great defensive player, which is what we need as we have enough scorers. and richardson would still be at sg. why not trade frye crawford n nate for lewis, thats one starter and 2 reserves who play the same position as a bunch of other knicks for a star. its a considerable upgrade in one position without taking much away from the other 2. one of the problems with the knicks is inconsistent minutes cuz they have too many players. they need a presence in the paint bad. guards act like curry isnt even in there when they attack the basket and how many times do we have to see little guards like mo williams, mike james, etc burn us.

i think a lineup of:

curry
lee
kirilenko/lewis
richardson
marbury

is considerably better than:

curry
lee
frye/richardson/jeffries
crawford
marbury

and the thing is i dont think those 2 teams even make that trade.
Old 04-04-2007, 06:11 PM   #10
skillswithaz
I bust ghosts

skillswithaz has an OK reputation so far

I know that I've posted this before but here it is
http://games.espn.go.com/nba/features/traderesult?players=165~990~255~2754~1708~615~307~ 2399&teams=11~30~11~11~18~18~18~18

Basically, we take care of the turnover problem, the defense problem, a big chunk of the free throw problem, and at the same time, get rid of our bad rebounders thus improving even that. We don't really lose much of the offense because JO is much easier to run the offense through than Curry. Okafor is a more aggressive offensive player than Frye but doesn't have quite the skill set. He makes up for that with his much superior defense and rebounding. Dunleavy is a better defender than Crawford and we can start Q-Rich at the SG anyway (Lee at the SF).

We get rid of some of our players with great potential but they all had serious shortcomings and the new players we pick up will have a better understanding of the game and have higher basketball IQ...Necessary things if you look at the Mavs, Suns, Spurs, Pistons, and Heat
skillswithaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 11:22 PM   #11
knicks15
Local High School Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by skillswithaz
I know that I've posted this before but here it is
http://games.espn.go.com/nba/features/traderesult?players=165~990~255~2754~1708~615~307~ 2399&teams=11~30~11~11~18~18~18~18

Basically, we take care of the turnover problem, the defense problem, a big chunk of the free throw problem, and at the same time, get rid of our bad rebounders thus improving even that. We don't really lose much of the offense because JO is much easier to run the offense through than Curry. Okafor is a more aggressive offensive player than Frye but doesn't have quite the skill set. He makes up for that with his much superior defense and rebounding. Dunleavy is a better defender than Crawford and we can start Q-Rich at the SG anyway (Lee at the SF).

We get rid of some of our players with great potential but they all had serious shortcomings and the new players we pick up will have a better understanding of the game and have higher basketball IQ...Necessary things if you look at the Mavs, Suns, Spurs, Pistons, and Heat

that amounts to a robbery. do not include francis in any deal proposals cuz only a knick fan would think that he has any value
Old 04-05-2007, 11:20 AM   #12
skillswithaz
I bust ghosts

skillswithaz has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by knicks15
that amounts to a robbery. do not include francis in any deal proposals cuz only a knick fan would think that he has any value

He's only really there so that the contracts are even. He's still has some game (look at his consecutive 26 point games) and I think that when healthy he'd be a good offensive option for the Pacers. Plus, I think he's an expiring contract and he'll allow the Pacers to rebuild because they're not going anywhere right now...
skillswithaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2007, 12:38 PM   #13
knicks15
Local High School Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by skillswithaz
He's only really there so that the contracts are even. He's still has some game (look at his consecutive 26 point games) and I think that when healthy he'd be a good offensive option for the Pacers. Plus, I think he's an expiring contract and he'll allow the Pacers to rebuild because they're not going anywhere right now...

if he were an expiring contract his contract would not be pretty much the worse contract in the nba. after this yera he has 2 more years at 17 mill per. on the open market he might get 5 mill a year, no one wants his contract, if u make someone take him u better make the deal that much better
Old 04-05-2007, 01:50 PM   #14
TheOakman
I hit open layups

TheOakman has an OK reputation so far

We do not really have any trade bait. The people who are the most attractive which I would move is either Lee or preferably Balkman. I think both are pretty much the same player. Tough nosed good rebounder weak offensive game. Basically they are the same player, with Lee maybe slightly better. So instead of having two of the same, why not move one of them in order to fill a position that we are deficient at. They also are probably the only players on this team who are not signed to an unmovable contract.

I wish Balkman would have gotten more playing time to develop this year and possibly raise his trade stock.
TheOakman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2007, 03:06 PM   #15
Da KO King
NBA sixth man of the year

Da KO King has a terrific reputationDa KO King has a terrific reputationDa KO King has a terrific reputationDa KO King has a terrific reputationDa KO King has a terrific reputationDa KO King has a terrific reputation

The Knicks do not need to make any significant roster moves this off-season.

Adding more players will not fix the defense, it won't help the key players raise their free throw percentage, and it won't reduce the mental errors that lead to many of the team's turnovers. Adding more/new players would only fixing a micro problem when this have a macro problem.

They have are only now developing chemistry but have had little to no stability. They need a chance to show what they can do over a period of time without major changes. No team in the NBA has undergone as many roster or change coaches as the Knicks in the last five years.

Give this group, which is incredibly young, a chance to gel. See if they work as a group and just need minor tweaks.
Da KO King is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: